PDA

View Full Version : Considering new bangs with cowlick...?

Messyhair
July 31st, 2015, 03:19 PM
I would like to add a fair bit of bangs to my hair, but I'm worried because I know I have a cowlick in the front of my hair. I would like straight-down bangs, if that makes sense... not side-swept. Is it possible to overcome a big cowlick in the front? If so, how can I? Styling suggestions?

Nique1202
July 31st, 2015, 03:55 PM
I do a slightly curved but full fringe every winter with a cowlick and it involves using a bristle brush (because it's the best way to grip my hair in the right direction) a blow dryer and a flat iron.

Basically, IMMEDIATELY after every wash (before I did ANYTHING else and before my hair had a chance to dry at all) I take my bristle brush and use it over the top of my hair (NOT underneath unless you want an 80s puff fringe) to pull my cowlick lock straight down toward my eyes, and I have to point the blow dryer on high (with or without a little focusing nozzle) directly down at the cowlick and force it to dry flat. Then, because the ends of the fringe have dried in the direction of the curve of the bristle brush, I have to flat-iron it to curve toward my forehead instead of straight out the front.

If I don't wash my hair for 2-3 days it starts to separate at the cowlick and I have to re-wet it right down to the roots (no small spray-bottle job, this) and re-dry the cowlick flat. It lasted a LITTLE bit longer when I used some hair wax on it and got it right down to the roots, and I did that for a few months after I first got the fringe cut in, but after a while I just stopped bothering because it also makes my fringe look clumpy, as if it were greasy, and that's the opposite of what I want.

Chocowalnut
July 31st, 2015, 04:28 PM
I have one and it definitely makes straight bangs a problem. They'll tend to separate in the middle. Blow drying them is really a must but yes it's doable. I lobe 8 straight bangs too and am thinking of getting them again :)

Gamma Vector
August 2nd, 2015, 01:45 AM
I go for the 80's puff bang and find that my cowlick doesn't cause a bit of problem. Brushing the bangs into place as they're drying takes care of it.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2015, 04:45 AM
I have 2 cowlicks in the front, both sides where the bangs start. It's horrid to deal with that all the time. On top of that, my hair gets oily fast, and there's just no keeping up with bangs that way.

Styling, styling and plenty of styling. That's the only way. It's all good and well in the very beginning, but you will get tired of this, I can practically guarantee it.

pixldust
August 2nd, 2015, 04:50 AM
It is totally possible but as others have already said it just takes a bit more work to make them behave. It really depends on how willing you are to spend that extra bit of time on styling. If you're a very low-maintenance sort of person it may become a bit of a drag after a while. But if not, and you like the way they look, it'll be worth it.

turtlelover
August 2nd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Thinner, wispier, choppier, not so blunt bangs might be a bit easier to pull off and wouldn't look as silly if they started to separate a bit. They could still be straight across, but just not so thick and geometric if that makes sense. The thicker blunt bangs could quickly become a real pain.

Arctic
August 2nd, 2015, 07:40 AM
Blowdrying is probably the only way. Check out youtube tutorials, or I think Beauty Department had a good tutorial too. Basicly you need to start when hair is very wet, and comb/brush your hair in all directions while blowdrying. This way the cowlick "get confused" and your hair will dry in non-cowlicky fashion. It will revert back the latest when you wash your hair next. The worst case scenario is that you might have to do it daily. But since it's only bangs, it shouldn't take long, only some minutes.