PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out henna

McMasthair
July 31st, 2015, 12:01 PM
I am in the process of breaking up with my henna, and I was wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and gone the route of cutting it all out? Right now my hair is a long a-line bob and I am trying to decide if I should cut it into a shorter bob and maintain that until the henna is gone, or leave it and do one giant cut once my natural colour is around the length I have now.

I was really curious to see pics if anyone else has done this, as I am not sure how a shorter cut like this would look once the shorter bits are all natural coloured, with the longer ones still reddish orange.

Here is a picture of my hair from my last henna and cut 2 months ago:
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/MashiaAngel/20150522_193724.jpg (http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/MashiaAngel/media/20150522_193724.jpg.html)

I am thinking about keeping the a-line, but going up to jaw length with lots of layers, so my longest pieces would be about 4-5 inches in length, while the shortest bits would already be natural.

endlessly
July 31st, 2015, 01:15 PM
I had a "break-up" with henna after my first and only use since it was just an overall bad experience. However, my natural growth blends really well with the color I have on my ends, so I'm not planning on cutting it off. If I were to decide to color my hair in the future with a chemical dye, I would have to cut out the henna since it doesn't react well, but at least for now, I'm perfectly happy leaving it be. Best of luck to you and I'm sure there are some out there that have gone through a similar experience.

Chocowalnut
July 31st, 2015, 04:31 PM
I'm growing out henna. Have been contemplating bleaching it out or something though because it's making me really hate my hair. Pics in my profile if you want to see.

McMasthair
August 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Sadly I don't have enough posts to see your profile pictures. I think I am just going to grow it out for as long as I can stand, and if I absolutely hate it once I get a few more inches of roots I can chop it off into a short bob then.

RavenRose
August 5th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Some people have had success with using Color Oops to remove Henna.

I am currently growing out henna after almost four years of use. I did use a round of Color oops which help the color lighten a bit, but otherwise I did do a lighterning treatment, and a cut an inch of my hair. I am planning on continuing to let it grow and just trimming the ends as needed.

applecinn
August 5th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I've had multiple break-ups, none were permanent. I've tried letting it grow, dying it dark brown (that works fairly depending on your natural color) and bleaching (both all over and foils) which also worked pretty well, providing you are ok with strawberry blonde. In all cases, the damage to the hair and loss of shine eventually sent me running for the henna to help recover from dye or bleach damage and oh, how I missed the shine!

I'm no help... good luck :)

Nellon
August 5th, 2015, 08:43 PM
What I would do is go for the middle alternative. Perhaps grow it out a bit more first (easier when you can put it up and forget about it) and then trim off your new growth each months and you'll be henna free in no time! :)

ETA: I'm growing out henna (and henna glosses). I eased into the new colour by gradually doing lighter and lighter glosses to make the demarcation line less sharp. Then I started washing it with shampoo each wash to fade the henna. It's working somewhat.

renia22
August 6th, 2015, 08:02 AM
If you go to the Recipes, Henna & Herbal haircare section of this website, there are several threads on henna removal. Maybe you could try some of them and see if you can get at least some of the henna out? People have had varying degrees of success depending on method. Perhaps one of those methods would help you too. Here's one of the threads but there are more if you do a search:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463

spidermom
August 6th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Similar - years ago I was growing out a pixie, which had gotten to the shaggy, awful stage, so I had the bright idea of getting a perm. Ack! Then I had to get 2 more pixie haircuts to get rid of the perm just so I could grow back out to that shaggy, awful stage.

lapushka
August 6th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I had a perm on shoulder length hair a number of years ago. After 4 months, I had it repermed because I didn't like it growing out (I thought it was noticeable, silly me). Then I let it grow out fully and because I have wavy hair it was do-able. I grew it to hip, damage and all. Then after an S&D session which thinned out half of the lengths, I needed to have it cut back to BSL. But I don't think I'd do it another way. No.

McMasthair
August 7th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I did 3 rounds of Color Oops, which lightened like crazy and then oxidized right back to the original colour within 3 days. :(

McMasthair
August 7th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I also tried a couple rounds of oil masks with no success, and I don't want to try anything harsher as my scalp is already unhappy with me. Oh well. 1 inch down, 11 more to go!

lapushka
August 7th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Yep, I think your best bet is to stick it out, and grow it out. Good luck! :) (I know it's not easy, been there, done that... multiple times.)