PDA

View Full Version : Question about conditioner

Madeleine13
July 31st, 2015, 08:50 AM
I have always just used conditioner like I use shampoo; massaging it into my scalp and hair, but I recently read somewhere that you are only suppose to use it on the tips of your hair :rolleyes: Is this true?

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2015, 09:03 AM
I think it depends on your hair type and hair's needs. I co-wash so obviously use my wash conditioner all over but my leave in conditioner is only on the length. If you have a dry scalp, conditioner might help ease it if applied to the roots but if you have oily hair, it might make you a bit greasy.

Eta: There is no right or wrong :)

Madeleine13
July 31st, 2015, 09:07 AM
I think it depends on your hair type and hair's needs. I co-wash so obviously use my wash conditioner all over but my leave in conditioner is only on the length. If you have a dry scalp, conditioner might help ease it if applied to the roots but if you have oily hair, it might make you a bit greasy.

Eta: There is no right or wrong :)

Thank you for your help. I have a naturally dry scalp so maybe I should carry on applying it all over. What do you mean by 'leave in conditioner?'

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2015, 09:16 AM
Thank you for your help. I have a naturally dry scalp so maybe I should carry on applying it all over. What do you mean by 'leave in conditioner?'

You're welcome :) A leave-in conditioner is just simply a conditioner that you don't rinse out (so instead of applying it, letting it sit for a few minutes and then rinsing, you just apply it and you're done!) There are conditioners that are specifically marketed as 'leave in' types but most conditioners can be left in. Just takes a bit of experimenting. I have very fine, easily weighed down hair and I use a pea size blob of conditioner amd it really helps define my waves and cut down on frizz.

spidermom
July 31st, 2015, 10:59 AM
I don't like the feel of conditioner on my scalp unless I've been swimming in pools and/or salt water. Then I use it from scalp to tips. Otherwise I only apply conditioner to the length of my hair.

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 12:48 PM
I have oily hair, so only ears down for me. If you have dry hair however, it's perfectly okay to do!

endlessly
July 31st, 2015, 01:05 PM
Well, it definitely depends on the type of conditioner you're using, your hair type, and the condition of your scalp. If you're on the oilier side, definitely avoid using conditioner on your scalp - just like if you're prone to buildup on the scalp, also avoid. I have a few different conditioners I switch between, only two of which I actually put directly on my scalp because they're very lightweight and do wonders for my eczema. My deep conditioner, on the other hand, is only used on the ends as it can cause buildup because it doesn't rinse as clean from the scalp.

Madeleine13
July 31st, 2015, 01:28 PM
So all it is is leaving it in a bit longer before you wash it out? I usually leave it a minute two before I wash it out already.

Madeleine13
July 31st, 2015, 01:29 PM
I don't have oily hair but I do have quite a naturally dry scalp.

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2015, 01:33 PM
So all it is is leaving it in a bit longer before you wash it out? I usually leave it a minute two before I wash it out already.

Nope - you don't wash it out all :) If you want to try it, start with a small amount amd add more if you need to. You don't want to apply too much and end up with gummy feeling hair.

gthlvrmx
July 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM
I actually had oily hair and I use conditioner for CO washing right on my scalp. It works fine for me. You can use conditioner on your scalp, it's fine. If your scalp and hair are ok with it, then it's fine.

Nique1202
July 31st, 2015, 02:08 PM
If you don't get a lot of hair shedding (since some people react poorly to conditioner on the scalp) and if you're happy with what it does for your hair and scalp then I wouldn't pay any mind to what anyone else says.

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 02:15 PM
My mom has dry scalp as well. She can go a month without washing, if she wants, though she ends up washing a week sooner sometimes due to the product she uses (hairspray). She uses her conditioner on the scalp as well, just a tiny bit, she just roughly applies it, not explicitly working it into the scalp (rubbing it in), but just casually smoothing it over the hair here and there. It works well for her. And still, she can go a month without washing. I tell you, it's magic. :lol:

yahirwaO.o
July 31st, 2015, 03:25 PM
Some people can apply and be totally fine. For me ears down and pre shampoo works better. My conditioner is kinda thick and I hate weigh down hair!
But if it works for you, go ahead! :D

Lolino
August 1st, 2015, 03:19 AM
I don't have oily hair, or a particularly dry scalp, but I use conditioner on my scalp since I have this weird area near my left ear that just gets insanely knotted and tangly and weird if I don't use something on it.

pailin
August 1st, 2015, 03:43 AM
I like to keep conditioner away from my scalp (fine hair that goes flat; also somethings make my scalp itch) but sometimes I use just a little smoothed on top because I can get really awful tangles up there, close to my head. Depends upon my mood and which I'd rather deal with. But there's no right or wrong. You can experiment if you like, but if what you've been doing works well, there's no need to change.