PDA

View Full Version : I must confess. . .

Eireann
October 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I colored my hair this weekend. . .that's not the confession, as I color it about every 4-5 weeks to cover the grey. Rather, after coloring it, I glopped on a super cone-y styling cream and blow-dried my wavy hair totally straight, and then sprayed it with a further super cone-y finishing spray. Here's the confession . . . I love the way it looks!! Okay, I know I can't do this every day, and mostly I love my room-with-a-view cascading waves, but right now I'm digging my sleek shiny look (not to mention that it looks way longer when it is straight!) I even skipped swimming this morning so that I could squeeze one more day out of my blow-dry. :cheese:

Curlsgirl
October 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Nothing to confess! I do this from time to time too just for fun and a different look! :)

Xandergrammy
October 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I think it's great that you're enjoying your hair!

lora410
October 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
omg shame on you...J/K he he he. we all treat ourselves to the bad stuff now and then. I curled my hair with heat the other week *gasp*..lol

Katze
October 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
'cones won't kill your hair, or you, and if they work for you why not? :)

I had wonderful smooth sleek results when I first started using 'cones (Dove) last winter. After even 2 washes, they really killed my wave, taking me from almost 2b to almost 1b. THat wasn't so much of a problem, but after a while the extra buildup on my scalp wasn't worth the nicer looking ends.

Now I am back to 'cones occasionally - every few washes - (Guhl, Avalon Organics) and like the extra slip and control they give me. Since I wash with shampoo regularly, I don't have too much of a problem with buildup...but I may renounce them again. I don't like that they are in everything, but I don't like the perfumy smells of most commercial hair products, anyway...

Many others here like and use 'cones, or use them once in a while. They are not completely evil...:pervert:

ClareDee
October 6th, 2008, 09:45 AM
No shame in cones! And, to be honest, blowdrying is probably grand in moderation (especially if you don't have it on 'blowfry' settings).

I know my hair is too short to show much damage from what I do... but I have been struggling a bit with cone-free stuff. Lavera cone-free works amazingly well, but it costs a bomb.
But then I tried Burts Bees cone-free and it was a disaster. My hair is so tangled afterwards that I have to smather it with a very coney leave-in. Instant relief!
I am still on the fence about coney versus coneless! So feel free to be a bad influence on me :p;)

RavennaNight
October 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thats okay! I did the same thing a month ago and totally loved it. There's nothing wrong with an occasional blowout especially if you cone up in advance. :)

Kirin
October 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I must confess........

And have no shame incidentally over the weekend I totally went the hair diva route. Curling Iron, coney gloss, and hairspray..... and I finally looked beautiful. Frankly, my flat, fine thin hair looks heck awful without it.

I never used blowdriers anyway, however the hot rollers and curling iron are now out of storage, -permanently-. I just don't care, lol. How I feel about how I look and feeling confident in myself is the goal.

Zombiekins
October 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I blowdry my hair after nearly every wash. :eek: Disclaimer? Using the "cool-shot" button to keep the air temperature just this side of warm helps the oil spread through my strands better, helps dry it faster (duh, but seriously, if I let it dry on its own it takes forever), and I haven't noticed any damage. Yep, even went two whole years without touching the blowdryer, and have been "back on the wagon" since winter this past year and my hair's conditioner hasn't changed -- aside from the benefits mentioned. Oh, but I do not dry it completely, never have. It gets about 85-90% there, then I'll bun it until I'm finished brushing my teeth and putting clothes on.

Like with any other routine, just use moderation, but there's no reason you can't fancy up your hair several times a week without inflicting damage. :)

jojo
October 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
oh you naughty girl you;) but then I must be naughty too, but naughty= nice yes? so we are both O.K.!

AJO8
October 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I must confess........

I never used blowdriers anyway, however the hot rollers and curling iron are now out of storage, -permanently-. I just don't care, lol. How I feel about how I look and feeling confident in myself is the goal.

I agree with this, I love straight hair and I straighten when I go out. I'd rather have an s&d and a deep treatment than not straighten every once in a while.

Mary <><
October 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Pics??? :D

Carolyn
October 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Don't feel bad. It's OK. Really it is. It's good to really love how your hair looks now and then. I get mine colored and when I do I let her blow it dry and use a cone serum and sometimes a large barrel curling iron. I am never happier with my hair than on those days. I love stick straight hair with a little bend at the very ends.

maskedrose
October 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Oh don't worry, as you can see from earlier posts many of us do this every once in a while! I did it the other day for a night out and it really did feel good! I babied it for days following, but that sleek fall of blonde sure got me a lot of attention that night, hehehe ;)

Dolly
October 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
We can't all treat our hair PERFECTLY 100&#37; of the time. For myself, there are a couple of indulgences that I am not willing to give up. One is my chemical color and the other is my Widu brush. I brush everyday, and I color every 6-8 weeks. Oh, and I also wear my hair down about 99% of the time.

I mean, why have long beautiful hair if you can't enjoy feeling beautiful in it?

xrosiex
October 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I do this from time to time myself. I love the feeling of soft straight hair. And it does feel longer. But before my next wash I do a heavy oiling and use lots of conditioner.

manderly
October 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I must confess........

And have no shame incidentally over the weekend I totally went the hair diva route. Curling Iron, coney gloss, and hairspray..... and I finally looked beautiful. Frankly, my flat, fine thin hair looks heck awful without it.

I feel the same way. I'm sometimes befuddled with the cries for help at not being able to use their favorite products or tools, constantly keeping it up to protect it, etc.

All the products I use are because I enjoy them and I like the results they have, not because they are natural or something else is evil. If I found something that did miracles, I'd switch over in a heartbeat.

I'm growing my hair out so it will be beautiful, not in perfect condition.

I vow to:

color when I feel like it
use heat and cones when I want
do crazy things to my hair for the heck of it

and never feel guilty about it

Katahdin
October 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I do that sometimes too. Naturally I'm a 1b, but I still like straightening with coney protective spray. It just looks so incredibly pin straight and shiny, I love it. I limit myself by only doing it on special occasions. School pictures, holidays, etc.

ccmuffingirl
October 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Don't feel bad. I have a bad habit too. I chemically straighten my hair every 4 months. I guess the key is to achieve a balance. Even though I process my hair I make sure to only apply the chemical to my newly grown in hair and I protect my already processed parts with oils. But other than that I try only to do natural things with my hair. For me it's about being happy about your hair and wearing it the way you prefer it and keeping it healthy at the same time. I follow the rule of whatever I take from my hair I must put back in :).

P.S. Weekly deep conditioning treatments and co-washing have also helped to preserve my hair's strength, moisture, and elasticity.

Honey39
October 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I straighten for special nights out etc - maybe once a month? And it looks fantastic, even better now I've been here for a few months. BUT it kind of makes me a bit sad because I cannot do it more frequently or it completely wrecks my hair. I don't think once in a while will hurt, but more often than that and it really does mean that you're going to get burned out fried hair (or is that just me?).

As for using cones - hmmm. I've been thinking about going back to them, but I do like the effects I've got at the moment, so not sure why I'm toying with breaking this routine. I suppose I just want to see if they do actually make a difference or not!

Solange
October 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Lol, I like cones. :O) I haven't blow-dried in years, though. Hey, consider it a "hair treat"...