PDA

View Full Version : Does body weight affect how much distance is between milestones?

KayliJade
July 30th, 2015, 06:54 PM
I am a lot heavier than I was 10 years ago and wondering how much body weight affects how much distance is between each milestone?

I'm only short - 5'3", and have just reached APL which was about 5" from shoulder length, and I have 5" until BSL. From there I only have 3 inches to waist.

I've read several people's posts saying they had 2 inches between shoulder and APL and 2 inches between APL and BSL. No matter how I look at it, 2 inches doesn't even get me from the top of my shoulder to the bottom of it .... 2 inches would only just get my small 2 year old granddaughter there.

I'm not doubting these people, but it got me wondering if body size makes that much of a difference? Or is it more in how any where people measure from? Thoughts?

bonbon58
July 30th, 2015, 07:01 PM
shoulder to APL for me is probably something like 3 inches? i've also heard that BSL can vary a lot due to people wearing their bras differently, or even from wearing different bras..

Ingrid
July 30th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I doubt it makes any difference unless your skeletal structure also changes since most body markers are located around particular bones in the body.

Arctic
July 30th, 2015, 07:59 PM
2 inches can't be right (and I have to say I have never ever seen anyone claiming this). A look into anatony books suggests the same, those bones and muscles need space. We aint stick figures :D

For me, the distance from shoulder to apl is about 1 year (with trimming, avarage growth). I have never measured (cm/in) though, but it must be around 5 inches, I would guess. (I am quite tall in general.)

Weight might affect some measurements, like where classic is. A real BSL might be lower too on a heavier/bustier woman, but I would suggest wrapping a measuring tape around one's ribcage just under breasts or pecs, and call that BSL. Waist might be difficult to locate and hips might appear to be higher (not the bones ofcourse) if one has extra weight.

Anje
July 30th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I know my waist shifts upward with weight gain. But I like the bone-based markers more. Pudgy as I am, classic is a bit nebulous, but I'm at thumb length now. :)

Robot Ninja
July 30th, 2015, 08:11 PM
It might change where classic is if you have a big butt. BSL depends on the bra, but if you're wearing a wider band it would change also. And some people measure from the top of the band, some measure from the bottom. 2 inches from APL to BSL is totally possible, but 2 inches from SL to APL...I don't see it.

But a lot of people call their length according to the last milestone they've passed. So someone who says they're at shoulder length might really be a few inches past shoulder.

MandyBeth
July 30th, 2015, 09:49 PM
For me, the change is only in effect if I grow to classic+ as it's got to clear my big butt. Collarbone to bottom of bra band on me is ~9 inches in my less than decent fitting sleep bra, it's riding high in back so it's not that accurate. Next time I wear my black long line bra, I can get a to waist measurement, as that puts bottom of bra band at 1" from my waist. But I'm really picky on BSL. The debate between where on band to measure is part. But mostly, so many women do not wear a bra that fits. If the band isn't level in back, band is too big. And I see a lot that are judging BSL on a bra riding high, when it should really be another 2-3" lower.

teddygirl
July 30th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I dont know about actual markers, but I've found on larger folk the hair somehow looks shorter than the markers on some of the smaller folk. For example there is one poster on here in particular that says her hair is a certain length, but looks significantly shorter. I dont doubt where she is, it just looks different than it does on other body types. If that makes sense?

And ditto to MandyBeth about BSL - there are alot of girls that do not wear their bras properly, so their BSL IS an inch or two below APL lol.

flickm
July 31st, 2015, 02:11 AM
I'm short waisted, long legs, short back. I've grown from shoulder to below APL since early April - but I have about 4 1/2 inches to go to BSL, ie the bottom of the strap (I think). BSL to waist will be nothing on me. Confusing. Not quite sure if my bra strap is in the right place. Fedup with balancing towels, tape measures, bits of string ;) Also some bras have narrow back straps and some are wide. And if i do as someone suggested and put a piece of string under my tits, then that takes a couple of inches off the measurement, in which case I only have about 2 1/2 inches till I'm there. As is oft quoted: how long is a piece of string!

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 02:22 AM
I doubt it matters much, not for milestones like APL, BSL, waist... maybe classic, yes, but that's a long time ahead of you still.

diddiedaisy
July 31st, 2015, 04:14 AM
I think you would have to verrrrry tony to get from shoulder to bsl in just four inches I'm only 5"2 and it's 8 inches on me. I think as to whether or not it takes longer to reach milestones, I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. The hair may possibly sit differently giving the appearance of shorter hair though. For instance I wasn't at the front of the queue when chesticles where given out, so my hair will get to the bottom of them quicker, but the length at the back would be the same. It's mostly appearance!!!

henné
July 31st, 2015, 04:46 AM
I've wondered about this before myself some time ago and not only about weight, but also general body-build, not to mention the height of hairline as it varies so much on folks.

I'm very high-waisted, for example, and have a big butt for being such a small person (not to an extreme, not fat, just curvy). So, getting to waist is a no biggie, but getting to classic would take me for evah! :)

Nique1202
July 31st, 2015, 05:14 AM
Most of the markers are fairly fixed or based on bones that don't move once you've got your adult height. Shoulder might go higher if you build muscle on top of your shoulders, and APL might move a little but not much. BSL is totally arbitrary (not everyone wears bras, not even everyone with boobs, and almost nobody wears a bra properly fitted so the band stays parallel to the floor) but the near-alternative, bottom of the shoulderblade, is pretty fixed (unless you gain so much weight the shoulderblade is hard to feel/see through your skin). Waist can move a little bit, but the tops of your hip bones at your sides for hip length don't move at all as long as your posture is good. Butt size can change a little for bcl and classic, but your tailbone itself doesn't move, nor will your fingertips or your knees if you go on past classic.

PixieP
July 31st, 2015, 07:57 AM
I have this urge to grab every woman I see with a badly-fitted bra and take her to a fitter, sigh. Sadly, that would mean almost everyone I see.

"Waist" is hard to say where is on me, really. I've gone by where my back curves in the most. Because when you see me in profile there my narrowest point is right under my boobs (I have a huge stomach. imagine a woman 7 months pregnant. That would be me always), and from the front you can only slightly see where my wastline is if I hold my breath and hold in my stomach as much as is humanly possible. But the tips of my hair when dry just reaches the deepest curve on my back, so I will call that waist and be happy, lol. Hip next. Those at least, I can still find XD

hannabiss
July 31st, 2015, 08:27 AM
I count bsl as the bottom of my shoulder blades. So bra isnt too relavant. Also if I gain weight my waist appears higher.

Nightshade
July 31st, 2015, 08:29 AM
My best friend has the Smallest Torso Ever while I have a Super Long Torso, so for us our length measurements are insanely different, by the time we get to waist the difference is almost 5 inches (granted I'm four inches taller than her, but I'm also leggy). So there are a lot of body shape factors that play into it.

flickm
July 31st, 2015, 08:42 AM
My best friend has the Smallest Torso Ever while I have a Super Long Torso, so for us our length measurements are insanely different, by the time we get to waist the difference is almost 5 inches (granted I'm four inches taller than her, but I'm also leggy). So there are a lot of body shape factors that play into it.

Exactly! i have a very short back but long legs, so the back measurements are always going to be smaller than other people.

HairPlease
July 31st, 2015, 01:37 PM
I prefer the term "SBL" (Shoulder Blade Length). More accurate.
As far as shoulder to APL in 2"... if you've got some extra baggage especially around the shoulder blades and the, um, armpit-crease gets a little deeper and taller, I guess that might make the distance look shorter. I know this from personal experience with my own armpit pudge. LOL.

spidermom
July 31st, 2015, 02:19 PM
It would have to. I can't help but think that if I had a small, tight butt instead of flabby acreage, I'd be past classic length already.

vpatt
July 31st, 2015, 03:00 PM
I am laughing about all the butt descriptions. I'm not mentioning mine, lol. But I thought it was odd that APL and BSL are taking me forever.......but then it looks like waist will only be a couple of inches from BSL. It really is just about knowing that our hair is growing. I figured with no mishaps I should be at waist in about two years....give or take a bit. But the long distance to APL and BSL are a bit discouraging. And, well, getting past the unmentioned part may be a real task.

AspenSong
July 31st, 2015, 03:11 PM
Obviously body proportion I think is a big thing.....long upper body vs shorter, etc. But as one of the bigger people, I personally think that it does affect it some once you get to like TBL. At least for me. My rear section flat out is big and sticks out and my hair lays on it! So I personally can't look in the mirror and see that it looks like it's knee length, but measuring and someone marking where it hits on me, proves that it totally is. But when it's draped over the lumpiness that is me, it lays differently, completely. If I was smaller, it would lay totally different.

Hypnotica
July 31st, 2015, 03:12 PM
I have this urge to grab every woman I see with a badly-fitted bra and take her to a fitter, sigh. Sadly, that would mean almost everyone I see.

Short derail - you know that you have walked into a proper bra shop when the shop attendant you ask for help just took one look at you (dressed in a big hoodie) and immediatly got your bra size just right.

ghost
July 31st, 2015, 04:53 PM
Generally I think it has more to do with skeletal structure. Classic might be affected by the size of one's butt, but that's not always dependent on weight either. (Example: I am slim but pear-shaped, my thighs and butt are a little bigger than the rest of me. One of my girlfriends is heavier but apple-shaped, she has comparatively narrow thighs and her butt doesn't stick out as much as mine does).

PixieP
August 1st, 2015, 08:18 AM
Short derail - you know that you have walked into a proper bra shop when the shop attendant you ask for help just took one look at you (dressed in a big hoodie) and immediatly got your bra size just right.

LOL indeed. Never happens with me though, I gotta try on 3-4 sister sizes always. My boobs are not big, but they are very wide, so I need a bigger cup with lots of padding usually.

*cough* Off topic. Maybe I should start a bra thread in one of the off-topic forums.

Bunnehlvr22
August 2nd, 2015, 09:58 PM
2 inches??? :agape: I wouldn't think it would make that much difference until you get to classic, maybe. I have a very long torso (short legs, yay (<---- sarcasm)) and it's 4 1/2 inches from APL to BSL. I believe I saw someone in an earlier post say they had a short torso and it was 4 inches.

Aurum
August 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
I think the entire APL-BSL-MBL area is very sketchy. So sketchy I'd cross the street if I saw it walking towards me on a dark night. ;)

I was very happy when I reached waist and got out of that abyss of confusion.

Caraid♫
August 3rd, 2015, 07:27 AM
I think it must be how people measure or just their body proportions (meaning length of torso vs legs rather than body weight.) I am also 5'3" for example, but very thin and the distances between the markers that you listed are approximately the same for me (except for the distance between apl and bsl on me is probably more like 3-4") :)

ETA it is also very possible that my bras are fitted incorectly! Therefore it could likely be more like 5' from apl :p

truepeacenik
August 3rd, 2015, 08:54 AM
These discussions are why some people prefer numbers to body landmarks.

Where would shoulder blade length be, to a newbie reading the term? The upper edge? The lowest point?

Robot Ninja
August 3rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
These discussions are why some people prefer numbers to body landmarks.

Where would shoulder blade length be, to a newbie reading the term? The upper edge? The lowest point?

I'd imagine it would be the bottom of the shoulder blade, since that's around the top of the bra strap.