PDA

View Full Version : Compact cut - 2 variations & changing it up.

lapushka
July 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM
The compact cut is a "system" coming from the book "Haircutting for dummies". You end up making a ponytail and cutting a piece off to create layers in your hair. Depending on where you place the ponytail, is what layers you're going to get.

If you place the ponytail on the top of your head, you get long(er) layers.

If you place the ponytail on the top of your forehead, you get short layers (and a deep V).

I've switched back and forth between both methods a few times in the past back when my hair was about BSL to waist, and I've been layered since waist length now with the shorter layers. My longest layer is nearing classic while my shortest layer is nearing waist. I was wondering when I hit classic and go on non-trimming for the rest of the year to have a trim by at the latest January 1st 2016 to go back to the method for longer layers.

Is anyone sporting the longer layered method at classic length? How do you like it? And where's your shortest layer. If no one answers, I think I might have to experience this for myself and keep you posted!

Jo Ann
July 30th, 2015, 12:22 AM
That was how my Dear Sister used to cut her hair. She'd do her bangs first, then she would cut her layers. Her hair was between BSL and WL, and it seemed to suit her baby-fine hair very well. Me? I was never that talented :?

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I'm still not sure what to do past classic - guess we'll just have to see... :shrug:

Upside Down
July 31st, 2015, 05:25 AM
Lapushka, I hope you get an answer! I am not of much help since I am at waist, and ammyet to cut in the layers (I seem to plan for trims for months and months...chicken :lol: ).

May I ask, do you have pics of your layers in your albums and can I be friended to see them?

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 05:59 AM
Lapushka, I hope you get an answer! I am not of much help since I am at waist, and ammyet to cut in the layers (I seem to plan for trims for months and months...chicken :lol: ).

May I ask, do you have pics of your layers in your albums and can I be friended to see them?

Yes I do. The earlier pictures are without layers, the newer ones (more up front) are with. I'm sure you can tell the difference. So, sure, just ask, and I'll add you. :)

Upside Down
August 2nd, 2015, 04:07 AM
Thank you! :blossom: I saw your pictures, compact cut looks lovely on you!

Did you combine it with feye's self trim? Or is your V from the compact cut only? I want to do a V hemline, I really miss that, but might wait with layers till after my planned keratine treatment, to see how it will "sit" better... Layers seem like a commitment, to me, since I have never had any :lol:

lapushka
August 2nd, 2015, 04:15 AM
Thank you! :blossom: I saw your pictures, compact cut looks lovely on you!

Did you combine it with feye's self trim? Or is your V from the compact cut only? I want to do a V hemline, I really miss that, but might wait with layers till after my planned keratine treatment, to see how it will "sit" better... Layers seem like a commitment, to me, since I have never had any :lol:

Nope, no combining with Feye's. I might not have cut enough off for the V to form completely, though. The compact cut requires about 12 inches off to fully form, and I think I cut about 6. Well, my mom cut it for me, but I didn't want too much off.

lapushka
April 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Here's a video on how mine gets cut in one of these methods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkLUsJPdtk

Except for the point cutting - that's not done here at all and isn't in the method, but she does it.

Ophidian
April 15th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Beautiful pictures everybody!

If you have a second to indulge a newbie question... what is the difference (aesthetically) between fairytale ends and a compact cut? I understand that fairytaling happens when you don't trim, but the effect seems to be similar to what I'm seeing here.

Please pardon if this question constitutes hijacking. This is my first attempt at being a part of an interwebs community and I am still learning the ropes.

Anya15
April 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM
My layers are unfortunately the work of a hairstylist (I wanted longish layers, she gave me shorter ones. :( ) But once I reach a length I like, and my hair is ALL the same length (is going to take forever), I'd like to try this to get a few long layers.

I've seen that video! I don't like the idea of point cutting, somehow.

Your pictures are beautiful ​Lapushka. :)

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Beautiful pictures everybody!

If you have a second to indulge a newbie question... what is the difference (aesthetically) between fairytale ends and a compact cut? I understand that fairytaling happens when you don't trim, but the effect seems to be similar to what I'm seeing here.

Please pardon if this question constitutes hijacking. This is my first attempt at being a part of an interwebs community and I am still learning the ropes.

You can ask away! :D Layers aren't technically fairytale ends, because that constitutes a "trim". The hair was purposely cut that way. It is like fairytaling a bit in the sense that it might look alike, but fairytaling comes with terminal length and the dawning end of growth. A trim is... well, a trim.

My layers are unfortunately the work of a hairstylist (I wanted longish layers, she gave me shorter ones. :( ) But once I reach a length I like, and my hair is ALL the same length (is going to take forever), I'd like to try this to get a few long layers.

I've seen that video! I don't like the idea of point cutting, somehow.

Your pictures are beautiful ​Lapushka. :)

No the point cutting puts me off as well. I like it blunt cut, the layers I mean. ;)

Thank you, anou!

Ophidian
April 15th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks for explaining lapushka!

Horrorpops
April 16th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Is this one of those things where you can cut with the longer layers first and then if don't like the way those layers look past classic, you can always put it up again and cut for shorter layers? IMO best case scenario you cut less and like it or you can always cut more later :)

Either way, good luck!! Post back with how you've found it when you do the next trim :o

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Thanks for explaining lapushka!

You're welcome. I hope I explained it okay. :)

Is this one of those things where you can cut with the longer layers first and then if don't like the way those layers look past classic, you can always put it up again and cut for shorter layers? IMO best case scenario you cut less and like it or you can always cut more later :)

Either way, good luck!! Post back with how you've found it when you do the next trim :o

Nope. It is one-cut. You can, though, divide your hair into an upper layer and only cut the upper layer according to the method. That can be done. Just be careful you don't chop too much off then. Or you could cut the whole length (one-cut), then do Feye's on top of that - be prepared to lose a bit of length in that case, though. Because you'll need about 6 inches off to cut the "style" into your hair (this won't show that much in your length, it's just the layering that will go in), then you'll need to do Feye's on top of that.

Horrorpops
April 16th, 2016, 05:15 AM
You're welcome. I hope I explained it okay. :)

Nope. It is one-cut. You can, though, divide your hair into an upper layer and only cut the upper layer according to the method. That can be done. Just be careful you don't chop too much off then. Or you could cut the whole length (one-cut), then do Feye's on top of that - be prepared to lose a bit of length in that case, though. Because you'll need about 6 inches off to cut the "style" into your hair (this won't show that much in your length, it's just the layering that will go in), then you'll need to do Feye's on top of that.
That's very interesting :)
I think I have misunderstood you. I thought in your OP you were trying to decide between two different one-cut techniques, one that produces longer layers and one that produces shorter? What I was asking was if you tried the longer layer technique first but didn't like it could you try it again to get the shorter layers instead? My understanding is this should cut more off the top layer but could leave the lower ones much the same length? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly here haha sorry!

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 05:52 AM
That's very interesting :)
I think I have misunderstood you. I thought in your OP you were trying to decide between two different one-cut techniques, one that produces longer layers and one that produces shorter? What I was asking was if you tried the longer layer technique first but didn't like it could you try it again to get the shorter layers instead? My understanding is this should cut more off the top layer but could leave the lower ones much the same length? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly here haha sorry!

I tried the what they call in the book the "shorter layer" technique first; for a long time I had those layers. It's the one with the ponytail on the forehead. In reality it produces longer layers in the back, almost keeping those underneath layers intact, and shorter layers up front.

Then I switched to the other layering method in January 2016 when I cut back to classic from a few inches over. This layering technique gives you longer layers, should give you them, but it also layers up the underneath, so that is a big change. This is the ponytail on the top of the head method.

I have since, in February cut back to classic again, using the first layering technique again, as that is better for updos, I found.

You can switch it up between the two, but my layers from the other method (on the underneath of my hair) still have some catching up to do. :)

I hope that sort of explains it. It's hard to switch it up because you'll always have to wait for quite a bit of growth or else cut a lot back off.

Horrorpops
April 16th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I tried the what they call in the book the "shorter layer" technique first; for a long time I had those layers. It's the one with the ponytail on the forehead. In reality it produces longer layers in the back, almost keeping those underneath layers intact, and shorter layers up front.

Then I switched to the other layering method in January 2016 when I cut back to classic from a few inches over. This layering technique gives you longer layers, should give you them, but it also layers up the underneath, so that is a big change. This is the ponytail on the top of the head method.

I have since, in February cut back to classic again, using the first layering technique again, as that is better for updos, I found.

You can switch it up between the two, but my layers from the other method (on the underneath of my hair) still have some catching up to do. :)

I hope that sort of explains it. It's hard to switch it up because you'll always have to wait for quite a bit of growth or else cut a lot back off.

Oh I see now, oh yes that would be a massive shame to lose that kind of length switching it around 'just to see' like ai thought you could! Thanks for taking the time to explain it so thoroughly :o my mum normally cuts my hair but I've moved away from her and looking at my ends they may need a trim sooner rather than later unfortunately!

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Oh I see now, oh yes that would be a massive shame to lose that kind of length switching it around 'just to see' like ai thought you could! Thanks for taking the time to explain it so thoroughly :o my mum normally cuts my hair but I've moved away from her and looking at my ends they may need a trim sooner rather than later unfortunately!

If your hair looks anything like it does in your signature (latest picture), then I think your ends look *fine*! More than, even. :)

Daydreamer.
April 16th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Is there a way to make a blunt straight cut without layers with this method?

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 07:16 AM
I think you can do a blunt cut using Feye's self trim method :)

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Is there a way to make a blunt straight cut without layers with this method?

I think you can do a blunt cut using Feye's self trim method :)

Precisely what anou said. No! You'll only get layers with this method.

If you want blunt, try Feye's method:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Horrorpops
April 16th, 2016, 07:28 AM
If your hair looks anything like it does in your signature (latest picture), then I think your ends look *fine*! More than, even. :)

Hahaha thank you! That could be the miracle of a distance shot! :) I seem to be finding more splits and white dots the closer I get to waist!

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Hahaha thank you! That could be the miracle of a distance shot! :) I seem to be finding more splits and white dots the closer I get to waist!

I wouldn't worry too too much about white dots. I think I did the unthinkable and grew mine out from shoulder all the way to hip. It takes a lot for them to actually break off. Yes, sure some broke off along the way, but I still had almost all my thickness at hip and half my hair was riddled in white dots (perm & heat damage). They got chopped off in an S&D session in which I lost half my thickness all the way up to BSL. So... they can hang on a long time. As long as you don't break them off, and snip them with sharp scissors about half an inch above the dot - should be fine!

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 11:39 AM

I think it's normal. I am at a similar length as you (BSL+ unstretched, a bit past midback stretched) and I seem to be finding a lot of splits these days. Almost always in the fine strands. The medium and coarse ones are totally fine xD I snip off the splits and let the white dots be.

Horrorpops
April 17th, 2016, 07:22 AM
I wouldn't worry too too much about white dots. I think I did the unthinkable and grew mine out from shoulder all the way to hip. It takes a lot for them to actually break off. Yes, sure some broke off along the way, but I still had almost all my thickness at hip and half my hair was riddled in white dots (perm & heat damage). They got chopped off in an S&D session in which I lost half my thickness all the way up to BSL. So... they can hang on a long time. As long as you don't break them off, and snip them with sharp scissors about half an inch above the dot - should be fine!
Oh that's interesting so you don't think it hindered your growth? I guess I assumed previous white dots were dur to heat damage and bleach but now I cut all that out of my hair (literally) I thought healthy virgin hair with minimal heat styling would not get splits and dots.

I think it's normal. I am at a similar length as you (BSL+ unstretched, a bit past midback stretched) and I seem to be finding a lot of splits these days. Almost always in the fine strands. The medium and coarse ones are totally fine xD I snip off the splits and let the white dots be.
Yes, maybe it's a result of fine hair. The more fine hairs around my ears and temples definitely fare worse than the coaser ones at my crown!

lapushka
April 17th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Oh that's interesting so you don't think it hindered your growth? I guess I assumed previous white dots were dur to heat damage and bleach but now I cut all that out of my hair (literally) I thought healthy virgin hair with minimal heat styling would not get splits and dots.

Nope, my hair grew despite having them all over the place, and I had perm & heat damage at the time. Now I have all virgin hair and no white dots or splits, but I moisturize my hair well and since doing that I find I don't get them anymore, esp. splits. I never get white dots on healthy hair.

LongCurlyTress
April 17th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I found this great ytube video about self-layering techniques so I thought I would share it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-v2oyfSNG8

Anya15
April 17th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Nope, my hair grew despite having them all over the place, and I had perm & heat damage at the time. Now I have all virgin hair and no white dots or splits, but I moisturize my hair well and since doing that I find I don't get them anymore, esp. splits. I never get white dots on healthy hair.

-bows to your hair-

Sorry if this is a silly question, but...what is a perm?

lapushka
April 17th, 2016, 09:34 AM
-bows to your hair-

Sorry if this is a silly question, but...what is a perm?

Having curls permanently put in.

Anya15
April 17th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Having curls permanently put in.

Oh. It would involve chemical treatment, I suppose? I've never heard of this being done here. Curls are seen as a bad thing and most of the people here go for chemical straightening ...

lapushka
April 17th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Oh. It would involve chemical treatment, I suppose? I've never heard of this being done here. Curls are seen as a bad thing and most of the people here go for chemical straightening ...

Yes, it involves chemical processing. That's what it is, kind of like a "reverse" perm. :)

LongCurlyTress
April 18th, 2016, 09:35 AM

How sad!! :agape:

Anya15
April 18th, 2016, 10:53 AM
How sad!! :agape:

It is. I personally wish I had curls though! Gotta make do with my waves.

daPerley
April 18th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I've done the long layerd version when I was just between tbl and classic to trim some damaged ends off without having to use that mucj time as I use to to cut my hair, worked nicely and I loved my long layers :) (Even if the V wasn't as deep as my normal cuts giving some weirdly wide angel to the hair :P )