PDA

View Full Version : Learning to braid. Practice makes progress!

hannabiss
July 29th, 2015, 01:14 PM
This thread is for anyone learning to braid. Wether it's french/dutch or english. Or any other name of any braid or pattern you'd like to learn. :cheese:

I myself have only been able to do a simple English braid. Well as my hair gets longer I know I want to be able to keep it up in a braid from damage. (Buns are also an option someday but variety is the spice of life.:p)

So here is a mini challenge I'm doing to myself.
Every night I must practice doing either a Dutch or French braid.
Either straight down the back or two on each side of my head.
The progress I've made in the last month has been great.
My braids are still ugly and crooked and I wouldn't leave the house in them.
But they are still braids and they're getting better.
I know it can be a surprisingly frustrating concept to learn :confused: The add more hair, manage not to tangle it remember which strand goes over/under which one first. Then back to add more hair while not tangling it.

Hope I'm not the only one in the dark about braiding.

Arctic
July 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Good idea for a thread! Also good idea to start practicing now that your (and my!) hair is shorter :) I bet your braids don't look ugly at all, and messy braids (and hair styles) have been in for a long time, so if it would be crooked, you can just say it's on purpose :)

Being able to do 3-strand braid is nothing to sniff about, many other braid types use very similar pattern, so it's really a cornerstone style. (besides it's pretty and quick and comfortable! win-win-win!)

Lately I've been practicing 4 strand braids and braiding with ribbons. The latter is completely new to me!

swords & roses
July 29th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I've been practicing dutch braids lately! I can french & dutch braid other people's hair, but doing it to myself is such a challenge, & so messy in a bad way. I, too, wouldn't leave the house with my hair so sloppily braided, but it's getting better & getting a little less clumsy. :)

DH & I cosplay, and this year we each have wigs with pony tail clips as part of our costumes. The pony tail clips are HEAVY, and the wigs alone won't support them. So I've found that I can dutch braid our hair before putting on the wigs, and use the dutch braids as an anchor point for the pony tail clips to hang onto. :)

hannabiss
July 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I posted a pic a few minutes ago of my Dutch braid. It's improved so much. Can't get the BB code to copy paste so I can post it here. But yay I'm not the only one!

PixieP
July 29th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I suck at them too, I managed to do it really well all of one time when I did Katniss' signature dutch braid for seeing Catching Fire in the cinema. Otherwise, I won't leave the house with them, lol.

divinedobbie
July 29th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I only knew how to English braid most of my life. Learned to French braid about a year ago and it has been my go to ever since. I just tried a Dutch braid the other day and it was perfect. But doing a waterfall? Not a chance. I've also never tried to split it into two braids down my head, just the one. Maybe I'll try that when I get home.

lapis_lazuli
July 29th, 2015, 03:31 PM
You're definitely not the only one!
I, too, can only do english braids. I struggle with dutch and french braiding but have managed them once or twice :joy: but anything more intricate is a different story... :shake:
I dunno... this is all coming from someone who struggles with simple buns so I'm pretty much a failure when it comes to hairstyling.

Ephemia
July 29th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I only recently learned to do an English braid on myself, and I can only do them to the side. Attempting to do a central one just results in a tangled mess. There was this time at college when we had a practical session at the end of the day, and so my hair was in a plait, but it got uncomfortable and I couldn't cope with it anymore. So I took it down, thinking 'I've got this, I've got this. How hard can it be?'

Very, apparently. I spent my break trying desperately to figure out something I could do with my hair so it would stay kind of out of the way for an hour and a half, and failing. So that got me panicking. But my tutor offered to plait it for me, and complimented me on how soft it was, so it was all fine!

FallynLeaf
July 29th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I spent five years braiding my hair in an English braid every single day (and night)! I didn't learn how to French braid my hair until just over a year ago, because I was inspired to learn how to do my hair like Elsa's (from the Disney movie Frozen). It took me several tries before my French braids started looking decent, but now I do them (or a Dutch braid) pretty much every day, because they look a little fancier than an English braid, and it only takes me about twenty minutes to do a French/Dutch braid in the morning.

If you only know how to do an English braid, but want to learn how to do other braids, my recommendation is to try a rope braid! Rope braids are the second braid I learned, and I think they are really easy and really quick, and the learning curve is a lot less steep than what it takes to figure out a French or a Dutch braid!

Eichan
July 29th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I have great "beginner's luck" when braiding... But unfortunately I seem to be a one-and-done braider! I want to practice a single French braid every night though, hopefully it will get better!

YvetteVarie
July 29th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I can do the regular 3 strand braid (I think that is what is called an English braid here). I can also Dutch braid pretty well, and rope braid. What I want to learn now is the French braid, it would look great as I grow my hair longer

Saproxylic
July 30th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Braids, braids, braids... I can knit. I can crochet. I can do paracord crafts. Why can't I braid my hair? I can barely manage an English braid (I braid my grown out fringe right back and pin it, if I need it out of my face securely, and I sometimes braid the rest of my hair in an English braid, but it's too short to stay reliably can't wait when I'll be able to just throw it in a braid and have it stay) but anything more intricate is a nightmare. I have succeeded with a french braid over the top of my head once or twice, when doing it on damp hair, though they are messy and frizy, and I have tried a mini, emm, how do you call a French braid where you add hair only on one side, thingy to braid my fringe sideways, but it does not really sit correctly.

I really should practice a horrible lot more, maybe I should take up a '' braid a day'' challenge or something...

grimsqueaker
July 30th, 2015, 03:07 AM
This is definitely the thread for me! I currently can't do anything other than a side English braid, or a crooked one on the back of head, but I'll get there...eventually. I'm really good at bunning, but I can't braid to save my life.

luvlonghair75
July 30th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I finally gave myself a half decent french braid a few weeks ago! It certainly does take alot of practice. My daughter is finally learning to braid her own hair for bedtime now, too. She did a side english braid and it was alright... for bedtime! It does take alot of practice, patience and arm and shoulder strength! lol

Kiiruna
July 30th, 2015, 03:36 AM
I always braid my long-haired friend's hair, and it's so much easier than braiding my own hair! I think that I'm quite... decent braider. I usually do a double dutch or french braid for night, and when my hair gets longer (and easier to braid) I'll start doing french fishtail braids etc. :)

hannabiss
July 30th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Yesterday I did a Dutch braid during the day. It was crooked. I took it out. I was just about to hop in bed for the night when I thought I'd give it another try. Success..you know the sloppy kind. But I slept in it and it stayed through the night!!

The braid a day challenge begins!!!

hannabiss
July 30th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Sorry about a double post. But I'd like to say Torrinpaige on YouTube has great braiding tutorials. I learned the concept of what I'm trying to do from her clear instruction. Very helpful.

Arctic
July 30th, 2015, 07:39 AM
<snip> [H]ow do you call a French braid where you add hair only on one side[?] <snip>

It's lace french braid (or french lace braid). You can lace braid with all the different french-type braids (I call french-type braids all the types that is attached to the head, there are just too many to name each :) ). The method is always the same: only add hair from one side.

Ava Ruu
July 30th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I'm in too! I do English braids regularly and my French braids are getting more even. I would also like to learn to do a Dutch braid and a proper fishtail braid. I'm also dreaming of braids along my hairline one day.

IndyAndy
July 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM
:) This thread reminds me I need to get back to practicing French braiding my hair. I'm good with English braids (still need to build up arm strength for a single one in the back of course) But I desperately need to practice French braids. Subscribing ;)

Arctic
July 30th, 2015, 08:59 AM
I can do the regular 3 strand braid (I think that is what is called an English braid here). I can also Dutch braid pretty well, and rope braid. What I want to learn now is the French braid, it would look great as I grow my hair longer

Yes, both names (English braid and 3-strand braid) are used here, so you can use which ever comes naturally to you :)
Many braids have multiple names: Ducth braid or cornrows, French rope braids or twists, round 4-strand braids or box braids...

You should have easy time to learn to French braid since you already know Dutch braids.

Madora
July 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Braids, braids, braids... I can knit. I can crochet. I can do paracord crafts. Why can't I braid my hair? I can barely manage an English braid (I braid my grown out fringe right back and pin it, if I need it out of my face securely, and I sometimes braid the rest of my hair in an English braid, but it's too short to stay reliably can't wait when I'll be able to just throw it in a braid and have it stay) but anything more intricate is a nightmare. I have succeeded with a french braid over the top of my head once or twice, when doing it on damp hair, though they are messy and frizy, and I have tried a mini, emm, how do you call a French braid where you add hair only on one side, thingy to braid my fringe sideways, but it does not really sit correctly.

I really should practice a horrible lot more, maybe I should take up a '' braid a day'' challenge or something...

Saproxylic, when you add hair only to one side, it usually means you are doing an accent braid.

Here's a vid from Lilith Moon that demonstrates this technique, using only two strands of hair to form an accent rope crown braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You can also use this technique with 3 strands.

Arctic
July 30th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Saproxylic, when you add hair only to one side, it usually means you are doing an accent braid.

Here's a vid from Lilith Moon that demonstrates this technique, using only two strands of hair to form an accent rope crown braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You can also use this technique with 3 strands.

I respectfully beg to differ with our braiding guru here. And with a native speaker, as I am non-native speaker myself.

But the correct term here is "lace braid". While lace braids can be accent braids, they aren't neccesarily. To me, accent braid is a relatively small braid, that adds something, an accent to the whole style. Say you lace braid you bangs/fringe only, that would be an accent. If you make a crown braid with lace dutch braid, that is not an accent braid, that's a whole hair style. If you take a thin lock of hair and braid it with normal 3-strand braid, then make a bun from the rest of the hair, and use the thin 3-strand braid to artistically drape at the side/back of your head, and then wrap around the bun, that would be a good example of accent braid, the way I interpret that term.

Madora
July 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Arctic, you spot on! I need my hot chocolate!

PixieP
July 30th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I can do fishtail braids and a 4-strand braid, but only as side braids, never been able to do them in the back. And certainly not any type of french-type braid with them.

I wish my hair was fuller so I could do lace braids and waterfalls braids in the front of my hair, but my hair is so fine, the braid itself end up looking quite pathetic really :P

Stormynights
July 30th, 2015, 10:46 AM
This thread inspired me so I did a French braid last night. It is still in today and I may leave it until tonight.

Saproxylic
July 30th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I did a french braid tonight, might as well sleep on it, it's sure good enough for sleep, and will keep the hair from going everywhere! I really think from now on I will try to french or dutch braid every night for a few weeks. Ok, let's make it official!

I solemnly make a decision to french braid my hair before bed every night for the following three weeks, and will post the results of my improved skill here on 20th of the august.

PixieP
July 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I braided my husband to practise :D (he's ok with me posting this)

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsosrmryrh.jpg

hinabelle
July 30th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I can french braid my hair into one and two braids :) when I first here I couldn't braid at all! I also think I can do an English braid? But it's hard to achieve on my thick hair so I haven't done it in a while.

swords & roses
July 31st, 2015, 05:28 AM
Looks great, PixieP! My DH loves when I french braid his hair. I do it for him when he goes snowboarding (helmet), when we are spending a hot summer day outside, and when he goes to martial arts practice. He's started asking for braids now! I do so love the look of a man with well-kept long hair, especially in a braid or bun!

lfbddjw
July 31st, 2015, 06:23 AM
I can never seem to do a waterfall braid on myself. I always get my strands mixed up by the time you start adding pieces of hair and dropping others. My arms get too tired to figure it all out so I end up giving up all the time... One day, though!

curlylocks85
July 31st, 2015, 07:18 AM
Hannabiss

Great thread. I made a video about English braids because I know some people struggle with braiding. If anyone wants to check it out it on YouTube my channel name is ILoveMyBrunetteHair. I don't have many videos, but maybe someone will benefit from one one of them. :)

I forgot to mention, I always use the phrase practice makes progress. I am glad to know someone else thinks this way too. ;)

brickworld13
July 31st, 2015, 08:42 AM
It took me years and years to learn how to braid. I started when I was a child and would attempt to braid the hair on every doll in the house. My sister was mad because most of the dolls were hers. Eventually, I did manage to get some skill with braiding. It just took pretty much forever in the eyes of my childhood self.

Kaelbu
July 31st, 2015, 10:02 AM
This thread is appropriate for me. I LOVE the look of braids... *wistful sigh*
They are sadly almost all beyond my reach for now. I can make a decent simple English braid down the back, but if I bring it to the side it gets too loose at the nape of my neck. I tried an accent rope braid yesterday and it was okay. Not "good" but not glaringly ugly either.

That is the extent of my braiding abilities! When I try to pick up a new piece of hair to add to the braid, I grab it from the wrong spot or my fingers get confused and start braiding funny. Hopefully my practice will make progress!

Laurenji
July 31st, 2015, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to pop in with some encouragement for you all.

When I first joined this board, I could only do an English braid. Now, I can do French, Dutch, Lace, Rope, and Crown braids with ease! It felt like it took forever, but suddenly one day after another failed attempt, everything just clicked. That's not to say I could do it perfectly after that, but somehow my fingers figured out how to do the movements.

Now I am working on 5 strand braids . . . . I have a long way to go. >.<

hannabiss
July 31st, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!!

ghost
July 31st, 2015, 04:58 PM
Keep on practicing :) Pretty soon you'll be able to do all sorts of cool stuff.

I used to be really into doing all different kinds of braids, and could do ones with four or five strands, French-style rope braids, etc, but I've gotten so out of practice that now I can't believe I could do those :p

Kaelbu
August 1st, 2015, 08:16 AM
After reading your encouraging words last night, I decided to try a French braid, just for fun. And it worked! Sort of! I'll have to keep practicing but I was able to make a fairly need semblance of a French braid. :)

swords & roses
August 1st, 2015, 08:22 AM
You know, I just thought of another good reason for me to get better at French braiding: French braiding DH's hair might help him feel more confident keeping his hair long as the thinning at the back of his head gets worse. Poor thing! Wish I could help him keep from losing more though!

Arctic
August 1st, 2015, 08:28 AM
I practiced a french flat 4-strand braid today, turned out ok but still needs practice!

hannabiss
August 1st, 2015, 08:34 AM
I decided that since the French braid isn't going well for me. But the Dutch braid is coming along easier I'll focus on the Dutch and get to where making one is a piece of cake then go back and try the french. When I try to make a French my layers tangle more. And I think I've always make my English braid with the pattern that becomes a dutch. So changing my pattern while trying to add hair is a bit more than my brain can handle right now. :D

PixieP
August 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM
Hoe about mastering the dutch first, hannabiss, and then practising and English braid where you go over-under like a french braid, until you feel you can do that well? :)

Saproxylic
August 4th, 2015, 01:55 PM
So far I have indeed been braiding daily, since the beginning of my challenge, sometimes more than once a day. Mostly the normal single french braid, but also a lace braid in my bangs with a curving french braid in the rest of my hair, double french braids, and a dutch braid. Also, it seems that with braids I could stretch my washes forever, they hide greasies so well!

hannabiss
August 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I've been attempting a braid once a day at least watching torrinpaige and trying to master her hand holds.

Saproxylic
August 10th, 2015, 03:19 AM
It's not 20th yet, but I kinda felt like I should brag a little about my today's creation. I have been practicing a lot, and today I managed double French braids (and pinned them together in the back to make it a bit more of an adult hairdo) They still have stray strands and symmetry issues, but a month ago if someone said I would be braiding regularly, I would laugh at them.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/yidete/bizesedit_zpsandveixs.jpg

vpatt
August 13th, 2015, 10:19 AM
It's not 20th yet, but I kinda felt like I should brag a little about my today's creation. I have been practicing a lot, and today I managed double French braids (and pinned them together in the back to make it a bit more of an adult hairdo) They still have stray strands and symmetry issues, but a month ago if someone said I would be braiding regularly, I would laugh at them.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/yidete/bizesedit_zpsandveixs.jpg

That looks really pretty!

I am doing 'ok' with the French braid.....but the Dutch is not going so well, lol

hannabiss
August 16th, 2015, 09:11 PM
HEY Everybody!! I can do a dutch braid with relative ease. Also ive master the hand holds torrinpaige talked about in her french braiding videos. It just clicked one day and it makes life easier!!!
I'm going to upload some progress pics of my Dutch braid I've been working on. It's come a long way. That sad thing I'm realizing is my hair is so thin that I can only make three "knots" of my braid and all my hair is used up. I can't highlight the pic URL from LHC anymore which I was able to do on my old phone and that was how I had always post a pic to a thread before but if anyone wants to see my progress I'll have a pic up in about ten minutes on my profile

DollyDagger
August 16th, 2015, 10:10 PM
HEY Everybody!! I can do a dutch braid with relative ease. Also ive master the hand holds torrinpaige talked about in her french braiding videos. It just clicked one day and it makes life easier!!!
I'm going to upload some progress pics of my Dutch braid I've been working on. It's come a long way. That sad thing I'm realizing is my hair is so thin that I can only make three "knots" of my braid and all my hair is used up. I can't highlight the pic URL from LHC anymore which I was able to do on my old phone and that was how I had always post a pic to a thread before but if anyone wants to see my progress I'll have a pic up in about ten minutes on my profile

thats awesome! congrats..:) youll be a seasoned pro and the length to work with soon enough as well.
i watched that vid too. I must watch it again and practice because ive forgotten exactly how the hand holds towards the end went.

Frankenstein
August 16th, 2015, 11:08 PM
The only braid I can do is a 3 strand one. They never taught us braiding in cosmetology class and my mother & sister never knew either. I attempted my very first French braid the other night; it was a tragic fail but I do think that I at least grasped the concept. I'm going to keep practicing and maybe I'll get there :)

Arctic
August 17th, 2015, 04:30 AM

Your braid's looking great! You could start it higher up and/or take smaller sections when you add hair, this way your braid would have more bumps. But it looks really nice just the way you did it!

I haven't been braiding much lately, my enthusiasm waxes and wanes. I have pretty much learner the 3 types of 4 strand braids I have been practicing recently though, and even memorized them. To actually help them to enter my long term memory I will need more more more practice. The older I get the more time it takes to memorize the braid pattern and hand movements so that they really enter my mental harddrive and not just short term memory.

Imalath
August 19th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who is braid-challenged around here! I can braid someone else's hair...but the most I can do to my own is a English braid on the side, or pigtails. This thread inspires me to try again! Hoping to at least master a simple braid down the back, and progress to a French braid.

hannabiss
August 22nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
[URL=http://s1006.photobucket.com]

I hope this shows up. But I'm really proud of my determination. Next I'll master my French. Then split and do pig tails. Then...I'm off to the crown braid.

*WELL The pic didn't show up.* I'll try again. New to photobucket.

sweetlily
August 22nd, 2015, 05:55 PM
I have done the English braid and pig tail for years. http://youtu.be/WMrMe5qoZmk
I love the French braid and love to wear it wherever I go. Makes me look youthful and Yet to master the French braid. I'm wearing a French braid today!

cadencesday
August 22nd, 2015, 11:03 PM
I only know English and the 4 strand braid. I have BSL so I'll start practicing at night. Great idea for tread :eek:

Groovy Granny
August 22nd, 2015, 11:08 PM
I can do English and French braids fine...in the back of my head.
Crown and side braids.....no success yet ;)
Anything more challenging has me stumped lol

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM
I can do the typical English braid. And when I do a French braid the top looks horrible but the length part looks good. So I'm still trying. A fishtail braid is out of the question lol. I hope one day I can manage those. They look so elegant and nice :)

diddiedaisy
August 23rd, 2015, 03:14 AM
I tried a dutch braid yesterday, I practiced going under on a pony first and thought yes, I think i'll be able to do this one. So I plaited down to my nape and had a look at my progress. It was the biggest fail yet. I had a big section of hair I'd missed at the top which completely covered any braiding that may have been under it.

Maybe I should stick to practicing french braiding first. It's so hard, I can do the mechanics but its always in a squiggly line, with big bits and smaller bits, and it always comes undone.

I'm going to ask father christmas for some braiding and bunning skills again, my letter must have got lost last year.

Beatrixity
February 25th, 2016, 09:47 PM
I made my first fishtail braid today! It came out decent enough to wear, but it revealed I have much s&d to do! :undecided:

Daydreamer.
February 26th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Ha, don't I know it! I'm practicing French braids, too. They are still not perfect, but I'm getting there... I'm having problems with braiding near the nape. My hair is silky, thin, and fine there. It unravels so easily and I have to start over again...*sigh*

Frankenstein
February 26th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Ha, don't I know it! I'm practicing French braids, too. They are still not perfect, but I'm getting there... I'm having problems with braiding near the nape. My hair is silky, thin, and fine there. It unravels so easily and I have to start over again...*sigh*

I have problems with that area too. The braid will be decent until I get to the nape, but those hairs don't want to cooperate. They just make the French braid look floppy and sad. :lol:

Llama
February 26th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Just having a lounge around the house day and decided to make an attempt at twin dutch/french braids. I thought they came out okay but I ran into this issue that I have EVERY TIME I do twin braids of any sort. There is always a gap at the piece from the very bottom of my scalp where it doesn't look like it's attached to the rest of the braid properly. Does anyone know how to fix that? I took a picture so you can see what I mean.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/photoz_by_amy/20160226_161418-1_zpshcria1ud.jpg (http://s609.photobucket.com/user/photoz_by_amy/media/20160226_161418-1_zpshcria1ud.jpg.html)

It seems like such a simple thing yet it happens literally every time- ugh!

Complexity
February 26th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Just having a lounge around the house day and decided to make an attempt at twin dutch/french braids. I thought they came out okay but I ran into this issue that I have EVERY TIME I do twin braids of any sort. There is always a gap at the piece from the very bottom of my scalp where it doesn't look like it's attached to the rest of the braid properly. Does anyone know how to fix that? I took a picture so you can see what I mean.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/photoz_by_amy/20160226_161418-1_zpshcria1ud.jpg (http://s609.photobucket.com/user/photoz_by_amy/media/20160226_161418-1_zpshcria1ud.jpg.html)

It seems like such a simple thing yet it happens literally every time- ugh!

My hair does the same thing if I try to french braid it (even a single braid). I'd love to hear solutions for it because it drives me nuts!

I'm capable of a side English braid. That's about it.

Arctic
February 26th, 2016, 02:51 PM
You would probably need to incorporate that nape hair in to the braid a bit sooner/higher up, say, at the level where there is a brown cupboard (or something) at the left side of you. So, bigger sections or more section, to use up all the loose hair sooner. Also, braid that area snuggly, following the curve of your head as you braid and not pull the braid farther away from the head.

Bobby pin or two is always a handy way to hide such loops, if they happen.

Llama
February 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM
You would probably need to incorporate that nape hair in to the braid a bit sooner/higher up, say, at the level where there is a brown cupboard (or something) at the left side of you. So, bigger sections or more section, to use up all the loose hair sooner. Also, braid that area snuggly, following the curve of your head as you braid and not pull the braid farther away from the head.

I'll try bringing it up higher and report in next time. Thanks!

Groovy Granny
February 26th, 2016, 04:09 PM

I tend to do smaller sections and with my fine hair....that may just be the problem :hmm:

Thank you for this hint; I must try to remember that! :thumbsup:

meteor
February 26th, 2016, 04:16 PM

That's excellent advice and should really work to tighten the braid. :agree: It will also be a lot easier/faster to section when you incorporate all your bottom hair earlier / higher up into the braid.

Llama, those are some gorgeous braids, by the way! :thumbsup:

Llama
February 26th, 2016, 07:01 PM
That's excellent advice and should really work to tighten the braid. :agree: It will also be a lot easier/faster to section when you incorporate all your bottom hair earlier / higher up into the braid.

Llama, those are some gorgeous braids, by the way! :thumbsup:

Thank you! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM
My hair does the same thing if I try to french braid it (even a single braid). I'd love to hear solutions for it because it drives me nuts!

I'm capable of a side English braid. That's about it.

There is a solution to this problem. When you get to the point in your braiding where you are holding the strands at your nape, before you braid any further, you reverse the positions of the left and right strand. For example, if your strands are labelled A, B and C (left to right), at that point you switch A and C so that you then have C, B then A. You then just continue your braid. Torrinpaige talks about this on her YT video on French braids. It makes the nape area so clean and tidy and non-saggy baggy with those extra droopy bits ;) Hope this helps!

school of fish
February 26th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I'm so glad this thread resurfaced - I'm so very braid challenged! Which feels odd to me because I'm an otherwise very crafty and dextrous person, but for some reason when it comes to braids it's like trying to make them with my toes! I'll admit that I haven't felt a great incentive to practice them much, partly because I don't think they look terribly great on me and partly because the manipulation required to make them feels rather damaging - I find it very hard to braid without hearing that snapping sound somewhere... On top of that I seem to get a lot of tangling within my braids even though I start out with perfectly smooth sections - I think my hair is so slippy the strands manage to move around within the braid as it moves around, so I end up getting friction damage even though it's contained.

I'll never be an expert braider but I have been trying to make a bit more of an effort of late. I now wear a side braid about once a week (and I've even started dutching that braid - fancy! ;) ). I've been experimenting with french rope braids for heatless curls and although it's not a style I'd likely wear in public, they do create a pretty wave pattern so I'll keep on with that one. Aaaaaaand that's about my repertoire right there ;)

I do know how to french braid although I'm not crazy about how it looks on me. And I get bored with it when I'm about halfway through. Yes, I'm a lazy braider. I admit it!

It's encouraging to know that others have learned to overcome braid awkwardness - I commend every one of you who has mastered the braid or who is working their way toward braid mastery!

pailin
February 26th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Oh, encouragement for braiding is good. I like wearing my hair up, but have to wear a helmet most days, so braids it is. Also for exercise, it's the only thing comfortable for me so far. And my daily English side braid is comfortable and easy, but boring. I finally learned to french braid over Christmas, but it takes so much time. Like school of fish said, tangles in the braid! I try to follow Torrin Paige's advice to detangle down the strands every time you add hair, and that helps but I still have trouble with it. On the other hand, it is so much nicer for exercise because I don't have all the little short bits of hair falling out and sticking to my face.
I really like the look of twin french braids for my face shape, but it is so much more work and I don't think they come out very neatly. My hands cramp up too.
Also twin braids is what all the little schoolgirls are required to wear here if they don't have the chin-length bob! But I like my twin french braids anyway so I need to keep practicing. Took me 20 minutes to do this morning; if I could get the time down I'd do it more often.

HeartofHaleth
February 26th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I can currently do English, French, Dutch and fishtail braids. Next up? Little itty bitty Dutch braids. They're such awesome accents, and yet I just can't seem to do them! I know they're just Dutch braids on a smaller scale and possibly a different direction, but it seems like they should be in class of their own.

ETA: I've been watching Silvousplaits's videos, that's why the sudden desire for diminutive Dutch braids. So many pretty styles, so many required skills that I don't have...*sigh*

irodaryne
February 26th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Oh my goodness, this solves 98% of my french braiding problems thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 03:04 AM
I'll try bringing it up higher and report in next time. Thanks!

I hope it helps! Check out my comment to Sarah below too.

I tend to do smaller sections and with my fine hair....that may just be the problem :hmm:

Thank you for this hint; I must try to remember that! :thumbsup:

I think the size of the sections isn't as relevant but to use up all the loose hair before you get to the nape hairline level - that's one of the keys. You can manipulate how the braid looks with choosing bigger or smaller sections, which I like - it's a matter of learning how much hair you have, so you use it up not too early, and not too late. Hard to explain, but one learns by doing. I hope this helps you!

Glad you approved! I'm not sure how well my method would work for very thick hair like yours, see my comment to Sarah below too, that method might be better for thick hair.

There is a solution to this problem. When you get to the point in your braiding where you are holding the strands at your nape, before you braid any further, you reverse the positions of the left and right strand. For example, if your strands are labelled A, B and C (left to right), at that point you switch A and C so that you then have C, B then A. You then just continue your braid. Torrinpaige talks about this on her YT video on French braids. It makes the nape area so clean and tidy and non-saggy baggy with those extra droopy bits ;) Hope this helps!

Thank you Sarah for bringing this method up, I had not known about it (I almost never watch Torrin or other Youtubers, unless I search something, and a video comes up).

I think I found the video you mean, but

a) either it's not the correct video
b) I didn't understand your description correctly
c) you remembered the method incorrectly

because the Torrin video has a bit different method than how you wrote it out (or as the case may be, how I interpretted your text). I'm sorry I don't want to be nit picking, but I though it would be good to mention and clear it out in this thread specifically, so people learning to braid would get the correct information. (If I simply mis-interpretted you text, then there's a good chance that others would do the same.)

This is the video I found, which I think you were refering to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA

Is this what you meant or does Torrin has other video? I didn't try your method but when I think about it in my head it doesn't make much sense because it would produce a "flaw" in the braiding pattern, if I imagine it right. I interpret it that you adviced to switch/cross the actual braid strands, A with C, and not the leftover loose hair strands.

Torrin does not change/switch the placement of strands A and C (other than as a part of normal braiding), but when she comes to the spot where the french braid is approaching nape and there is only enough hair left for adding to A and C strands, she splits the leftover loose hair in 2 and adds the left side loose hair to the right side of braid (strand C), and adds right hand side of loose hair to the left side of braid, to strand A, then continues braiding normally. In other words, she crosses the 2 leftover loose sections before they get incorporated into the braid pattern.

Maybe I just didn't understand your description, I'm sorry if that's the case. :flower: But anyway again thanks for the comment because I have now tested the Torrin method and it seems like a good one, so I can recommend those who have the sagging bottom syndrome (of braids you silly you!) to try! This might also be better method for very thick hair than the one I suggested earlier, but I imagine that even with this trick the results are better if the last bits of loose hair are added rather sooner than later.

I'm so glad this thread resurfaced - I'm so very braid challenged! Which feels odd to me because I'm an otherwise very crafty and dextrous person, but for some reason when it comes to braids it's like trying to make them with my toes! I'll admit that I haven't felt a great incentive to practice them much, partly because I don't think they look terribly great on me and partly because the manipulation required to make them feels rather damaging - I find it very hard to braid without hearing that snapping sound somewhere... On top of that I seem to get a lot of tangling within my braids even though I start out with perfectly smooth sections - I think my hair is so slippy the strands manage to move around within the braid as it moves around, so I end up getting friction damage even though it's contained.

I'll never be an expert braider but I have been trying to make a bit more of an effort of late. I now wear a side braid about once a week (and I've even started dutching that braid - fancy! ;) ). I've been experimenting with french rope braids for heatless curls and although it's not a style I'd likely wear in public, they do create a pretty wave pattern so I'll keep on with that one. Aaaaaaand that's about my repertoire right there ;)

I do know how to french braid although I'm not crazy about how it looks on me. And I get bored with it when I'm about halfway through. Yes, I'm a lazy braider. I admit it!

It's encouraging to know that others have learned to overcome braid awkwardness - I commend every one of you who has mastered the braid or who is working their way toward braid mastery!

I heared snapping hair too in the beginning, before I mastered a braid I was practicing. I think it's normal (though of course, unfortunate). I have written extensively about braiding in my blog and in many threads, maybe in this one too, and have given many tips prior. Basically be mindful; practice, practice, practice; try to work as neatly as possible; make the added sections as tidy as possible; constantly (or as needed) rake through the strands/hair/sections; if you notice tangling, webbing, or hairs wrapping around your fingers, etc, stop and release the hair(s); go slow until you learn (learn in in both mind [memorizing] and fine motor skills level).

Every braid I have learned, I have learned to make in such way in time, that NO hairs gets snapped. When I start working on and practicing a new-to-me braid, there will be some snapping before I learn. Patience and midfullness is needed - you will need to be aware of the snaps, of the possible snaps and be ready to prevent them. It's slow at first but once you get better the speed of braiding will take off too.

Oh, encouragement for braiding is good. I like wearing my hair up, but have to wear a helmet most days, so braids it is. Also for exercise, it's the only thing comfortable for me so far. And my daily English side braid is comfortable and easy, but boring. I finally learned to french braid over Christmas, but it takes so much time. Like school of fish said, tangles in the braid! I try to follow Torrin Paige's advice to detangle down the strands every time you add hair, and that helps but I still have trouble with it. On the other hand, it is so much nicer for exercise because I don't have all the little short bits of hair falling out and sticking to my face.
I really like the look of twin french braids for my face shape, but it is so much more work and I don't think they come out very neatly. My hands cramp up too.
Also twin braids is what all the little schoolgirls are required to wear here if they don't have the chin-length bob! But I like my twin french braids anyway so I need to keep practicing. Took me 20 minutes to do this morning; if I could get the time down I'd do it more often.

You will get the time required downwards, I promise. Concentrate first on technique and then on improving the speed.

I can currently do English, French, Dutch and fishtail braids. Next up? Little itty bitty Dutch braids. They're such awesome accents, and yet I just can't seem to do them! I know they're just Dutch braids on a smaller scale and possibly a different direction, but it seems like they should be in class of their own.

ETA: I've been watching Silvousplaits's videos, that's why the sudden desire for diminutive Dutch braids. So many pretty styles, so many required skills that I don't have...*sigh*

Very small dutch braids can be also called cornrows. The secret to get them neat is to add hair to the middle stand only, not to the outmost strands like in normal dutch braiding. It's easier to keep the lines between cornrows straight and tidy this way. It gives slightly different effect for the braid, but is maybe easier than adding to 2 sections after you get the technique down.

Oh my goodness, this solves 98% of my french braiding problems thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I am sure super pleased if it helped you! It's often difficult to put into words the kind of "silent knowledge" one learns intuitively by doing, and then add all the variables different hair type combinations can have, and giving advice isn't always so easy.

school of fish
February 27th, 2016, 09:06 AM
OMG! Mind blown! I just made a dutch braid and IT LOOKS GOOD!!

Okay I know I'm yelling there but I'm really excited about this - why oh why have I never bothered to try this before??!!

So... while I can do a perfectly adequate french braid on myself, it has never looked particularly good, or felt particularly secure (despite braiding snugly), or worn particularly well, or been able to be made without incurring some collateral damage along the way. I feel I've given the french braid a fair shot over the years, but have just ended up dropping it because it never got better, no matter the length or condition of my hair. So I guess that's why I never bothered to try reversing the braiding pattern to dutch...

Oh how wrong I've been!!! How could a simple matter of orientation make such a huge difference to ease, effect and sturdiness of a braid? It was no harder to make than a french braid, it looks SO much better on my hair, it feels SO much more secure, there's none of the pulling that I invariably get with a french or english braid, and did I mention it looks so much better? And by better I mean it doesn't look like a monkey braided my hair! Oh who am I kidding - a monkey would braid my hair better than I normally can...

I even pancaked the braid and it looked huge! And gorgeous! And bohemian but on purpose, not in a monkey way! Sorry, I'm selling that monkey short again, poor monkey... ;)

I'm sure you can tell, I'm a bit giddy about this. It must be amusing for all the advanced braiders out there but I just feel like a whole world of styling options has opened up to me :D

Arctic, thank you for the words of advice (and the usual wisdom of patience as with all things hair ;) ) I'm going to check out your braid posts on your blog!

And thanks to all of you contributing to this thread! It's very motivational :)

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM
:cheer: :cheer: School of fish!!! (We need a shorter nickname for you!)

That's great! You are not the first one who says that only french OR dutch makes sense to them.

I love braiding and if I can channel some of that into my posts, and if something I've learned myself will help others, I will be happy :)

school of fish
February 27th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks Arctic!!! :D :D

I'm the first to confess that I haven't invested the amount of time and patience required to become a decent braider, so I've admitedly kind of allowed myself to slip into that 'I suck at braiding' mindset... I am, however, very willing to be proven wrong on some things in this world, and braiding's one of them!

There's a woman in my circle of friends who's a phenomenal braider - she's just naturally gifted at it and also well-practiced - she runs a daycare and she braids all the girls' hair on a daily basis... incredibly intricate and beautiful stuff! Swooping, swirling patterns, multi-strands, coronets, waterfalls, accent braids... if she hasn't done it before she'll look at a pic and say 'yeah, I'm sure I can do that, it's just an X leading into a Y and finishing off as a Z'... it's awe-inspiring. These little daycare girls of course feel like princesses when she does their hair :D There are a few boys as well who have longish hair and sometimes they're in the mood to have their hair braided too - more traditionally 'masculine' styles but they always look amazing too.

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Oh that's just amazing, school of fish! :happydance: So happy for you on the Dutch braid! :D
And so many thud-worthy hairstyles are based on Dutch-braiding - it's a great skill indeed! :applause

HeartofHaleth
February 27th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Let me just add to the chorus of "thank you"s, Arctic! That seems like it'll work a lot better with my clumsy fingers!

irodaryne
February 27th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Oh I am sure super pleased if it helped you! It's often difficult to put into words the kind of "silent knowledge" one learns intuitively by doing, and then add all the variables different hair type combinations can have, and giving advice isn't always so easy.

So here is a braid I did with making bigger sections so that the nape hairs got added in sooner It really helped, having the bigger (and therefore fewer) sections because when I do a lot of little sections with my hair being the length and thickness it is, the nape hairs just can't be incorporated into the braid. and I can't really get a braid going past the scalp part. With the big sections, it just worked so much better and I was able to get a pass or two of a braid after the scalp before the hair starts exploding out of my hands.

http://i.imgur.com/LVwPGRn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lhKRxZy.jpg

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 06:56 PM
^ It looks really nice, irodaryne! :D Great job! :applause

MsPharaohMoan
February 27th, 2016, 07:13 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/415/209/3b4.png

Fishtail braids. I just... I can't.

irodaryne
February 27th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I went from sort of nice looking french braids that pull on my nape hairs to a very nice french braid that does not pull on my nape hairs because my nape hairs can actually be incorporated into the braid!

Talk about an achievement!!!! :disco:

MsPharaohMoan
February 27th, 2016, 10:29 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/bdrt61.jpg

funny the things you can do when you're stubborn...

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Thanks Arctic!!! :D :D

I'm the first to confess that I haven't invested the amount of time and patience required to become a decent braider, so I've admitedly kind of allowed myself to slip into that 'I suck at braiding' mindset... I am, however, very willing to be proven wrong on some things in this world, and braiding's one of them!

There's a woman in my circle of friends who's a phenomenal braider - she's just naturally gifted at it and also well-practiced - she runs a daycare and she braids all the girls' hair on a daily basis... incredibly intricate and beautiful stuff! Swooping, swirling patterns, multi-strands, coronets, waterfalls, accent braids... if she hasn't done it before she'll look at a pic and say 'yeah, I'm sure I can do that, it's just an X leading into a Y and finishing off as a Z'... it's awe-inspiring. These little daycare girls of course feel like princesses when she does their hair :D There are a few boys as well who have longish hair and sometimes they're in the mood to have their hair braided too - more traditionally 'masculine' styles but they always look amazing too.

I hope braiding will become something fun and relaxing to you: I am positive I wouldn't have been braiding as much as I have without me enjoying it.

Your friend has a dream settings for braid enthusiast - endlesss practicing opportunities! I often wish I'd have someone who's hair I could braid, but alas I am stuck with my own hair :D

Let me just add to the chorus of "thank you"s, Arctic! That seems like it'll work a lot better with my clumsy fingers!

Thank you for letting me know it helped! :cheer: Was it the style you posted in the show your braids thread? It was gorgeous!

So here is a braid I did with making bigger sections so that the nape hairs got added in sooner It really helped, having the bigger (and therefore fewer) sections because when I do a lot of little sections with my hair being the length and thickness it is, the nape hairs just can't be incorporated into the braid. and I can't really get a braid going past the scalp part. With the big sections, it just worked so much better and I was able to get a pass or two of a braid after the scalp before the hair starts exploding out of my hands.

I went from sort of nice looking french braids that pull on my nape hairs to a very nice french braid that does not pull on my nape hairs because my nape hairs can actually be incorporated into the braid!

Talk about an achievement!!!! :disco:

This is amazing! New styling opportunities for you right there! If the tail bothers you, you can tuck it under and pin with few big bobby pins, or maybe even spin pins since you have so thick hair.

See, you can and you did! They look GREAT!

I have seen few easier methods to fishtail braid at Youtube, they are not really "faux" fishtail, they are the real deal, only the methods are much easier and best of all faster. I'd say these methods take less than half the time traditional method would. The downside is, that I have gotten the methods to work only on side braids (on myself, if braiding someone else's hair then there is not limits), but even that can be remedied by doing traditional method untill braid can be brought to the side and continue with these easier/faster method from there (just make sure if you do this,to match non-reversed methods, and reversed methods).

Normal fishtail braid, easy and fast method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WeYwH9fk3o&index=11&list=PLdjip4RBoCPnjgUhBMvkyP-zPbqbYXguz

Reverse fishtail braid, easy and fast method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTa4EA3qxrQ&index=75&list=PLdjip4RBoCPnjgUhBMvkyP-zPbqbYXguz

I feel the reverse fishtail of these two is even easier than the non-reverse one, the hand position is more natural to me.

meteor
February 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM

They look amazing! :D And that gorgeousness was your first attempt? :bigeyes: Congratulations, MsPharaohMoan! :cheer:

Arctic, thanks a bunch for linking those excellent fishtail braiding techniques :applause - they certainly speed up the process a lot for hair that isn't too grabby/tangle-prone.

school of fish
February 28th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Ooohh... fishtail braids... looks so very good MsPharoahMoan - stubbornness pays off :D

Another big round of thanks to Arctic for the fishtail links! This one braid I'd really like to get good at - I have a feeling my hair would suit the fishtail braid.

I made another dutch braid and wore it to bed last night to see what the waves would be like in the morning - may possibly have found a second heatless waves style! Rope braids give me a more even wave pattern but a dutch braid is definitely a style I could wear out in public during the day and release for waves for the evening. I am encouraged :)

HeartofHaleth
February 28th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Arctic, yes, it was! I chickened out and added hair to side strands instead of the middle, but I'll have to try your method sometime when I'm feeling more adventurous!

school of fish
February 28th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Hmmm... anyone else find their fishtail braid looks pretty much identical to their regular braid? Except it takes about 4 times longer to do and holds about half as well? ;)

I know I'm creating it correctly, structurally. And I'm trying to take tiny little sections (probably why it's taking so long to make). Could it be a hair texture thing? The fact that it's freshly hennaed and SMT'd? Or just my novice fingers?

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I don't know, if that would happen to me, it would be too big sections. You need to literally take a pinch of hair at each pass to get the best visual effect. You could try to gently pull your braid wider, this will bring out the pattern more if you braided very tight. Or if you braided very loose, try tighter or better word would be snuggly (hard to say without photo, lol).

Hair colour is a big thing too; in the summer I braided my friends, one with blonde hair, the other with red hair. The braid patterns just simply show better in the blond hair.

fiğrildi
February 28th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I have mastered fishtail, english, dutch and french. But for the life of me, I can't make a rope braid :spitting:

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I have mastered fishtail, english, dutch and french. But for the life of me, I can't make a rope braid :spitting:

That's a nice selection!

What problems you have with rope braid?

fiğrildi
February 28th, 2016, 03:56 PM
That's a nice selection!

What problems you have with rope braid?

I'm rope-braid dyslexic, it seems. I have tried several times, but they just don't look... right :shrug:

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Maybe you need a "mantra". I often have something I repeat in my mind when I braid, on those braids I find difficult or that are new. Rope braid is always one that needs lot of concentration even though I've known it for a long time. I might repeat in my mind something like (when twisting individual section) towards the door, towards the door, Then (when twisting strands together) towards the mirror, towards the mirror, and switch between those as needed. This helps me to concentrate and remember to which direction I twist (much more that words left or right or clockwise/anticlockwise). Also if you have a habit of watching yourself in the mirror, try not to, try closing your eyes. I always mess up when I watch in the mirrror, I am a tactile braider. And, you might be trying to handle too long section of twisting (or too short?), I used to twisted my whole seperate strands before I started to twist them together. Now I just do few twists for strand A, twist it over strand B, twist few times the strand B, twist it over strand A, so I only work with a short sections at a time.

fiğrildi
February 28th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Those are great ideas :) I will try them next time.

I have mantras for dutch and french (dutch: always put the strands under, french: always put the strands on top). It makes sense in my head when I think braiding dutch and french has to be done the opposite way from the final result (french looks "flat", while dutch looks bulky). Not sure if this makes sense for everyone, though. And yes, it's definitely easier for me to braid without a mirror, to avoid confusion :wink:

meteor
February 28th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Hmmm... anyone else find their fishtail braid looks pretty much identical to their regular braid? Except it takes about 4 times longer to do and holds about half as well? ;)

I know I'm creating it correctly, structurally. And I'm trying to take tiny little sections (probably why it's taking so long to make). Could it be a hair texture thing? The fact that it's freshly hennaed and SMT'd? Or just my novice fingers?

Oh yes! That's one of the reasons why I don't fishtail-braid anymore (the other reasons are that they cause me tangles at this length and take wayyy too long to achieve). The thing that was happening was that at the very top of the herringbone braid, it looked like a herringbone, but at the bottom, the sections would start to look increasingly like a standard 3-strand English braid.
I think it's the "strand section per overall braid thickness" ratio that was responsible for this visual effect. Basically, one needs to take extremely small sections in order for the braid to look as a detailed fishtail, but if one takes large-ish sections, it looks more like an English braid.

Maybe you need a "mantra". I often have something I repeat in my mind when I braid, on those braids I find difficult or that are new. Rope braid is always one that needs lot of concentration even though I've known it for a long time. I might repeat in my mind something like (when twisting individual section) towards the door, towards the door, Then (when twisting strands together) towards the mirror, towards the mirror, and switch between those as needed. This helps me to concentrate and remember to which direction I twist (much more that words left or right or clockwise/anticlockwise). Also if you have a habit of watching yourself in the mirror, try not to, try closing your eyes. I always mess up when I watch in the mirrror, I am a tactile braider. And, you might be trying to handle too long section of twisting (or too short?), I used to twisted my whole seperate strands before I started to twist them together. Now I just do few twists for strand A, twist it over strand B, twist few times the strand B, twist it over strand A, so I only work with a short sections at a time.

I use "mantras", too! :agree: With rope braids, this video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw I need to remember: "twist away, braid towards; twist away, braid towards". But I especially need mantras with all those multi-strand braids:
- for 5-strand braids: (moving from one side, towards center; then from the other side, towards center) my "mantra" is "under - over - drop; under - over - drop" (like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJWlodeufZE);
- for 7-strand braids: "over - under - over - drop; over - under - over - drop" (like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZkL2bd4pHU)

fiğrildi
February 28th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I use "mantras", too! :agree: With rope braids, this video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw

Thank you, meteor!! I DID IT!! :happydance:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/IMG_5389_zpszraszlhn.jpg

meteor
February 28th, 2016, 04:54 PM

^ Oh boy, that ROCKS! Your braid looks absolutely amazing, fiğrildi! :applause Congratulations! :cheer:

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Looking great!!!

fiğrildi
February 28th, 2016, 04:58 PM
^ Oh boy, that ROCKS! Your braid looks absolutely amazing, fiğrildi! :applause Congratulations! :cheer:

Now I'm too excited to go to sleep ;) I can't believe it was so easy, in the end :laugh: Thank you! (you and Arctic are always here to give the best tips! :magic:)

school of fish
February 28th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Oh yes! That's one of the reasons why I don't fishtail-braid anymore (the other reasons are that they cause me tangles at this length and take wayyy too long to achieve). The thing that was happening was that at the very top of the herringbone braid, it looked like a herringbone, but at the bottom, the sections would start to look increasingly like a standard 3-strand English braid.
I think it's the "strand section per overall braid thickness" ratio that was responsible for this visual effect. Basically, one needs to take extremely small sections in order for the braid to look as a detailed fishtail, but if one takes large-ish sections, it looks more like an English braid.

Okay this makes me feel better :)

I'll keep practicing, I'll take teeny tiny sections like you and Arctic suggest, and I have indeed noticed that the herringbone pattern of the fishtail does seem to show up more readily on lighter hair than darker. I've also noticed that the more slippy the hair, the less likely it is to hold a 'spread' if it's been pulled wide - a look I really like but just doesn't seem to last any time at all on mine... I'm going to keep trying though!

As for rope braids, which I *can* do and which *do* hold, the mantra idea is a sound one and it's a concept I've used in my dance classes, usually when I'm teaching something with directional changes. My own little key for the rope braid (assuming I'm doing twin braids) is 'twist toward my face, twirl toward my back'. If I'm doing a single then I switch out 'face/back' for 'left/right' - if there's any sort of dyslexic issue then using anchor points opposite sides of the room can be good substitutes :)

school of fish
February 28th, 2016, 05:00 PM

You did indeed - looks fantastic, congrats!!! :D

Arctic
February 29th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Thanks fiğrildi :) I just read a lot, have been here a looooong time, and on my active periods post a lot. :D Oh lets not forget I also experiment a lot and share my mistakes and what I've learned from them, ha ha!

The mantra/memory jogger thing really is fantastic tool with braiding. The difficulty is, that everyone has their brain wired differently, and will need to find a mantra that makes sense to them. Sometimes we have compared our braiding mantras here among members, and it's almost funny how most of them sound meaninless to me, and don't make sense at all, but for the persons' they just the most clear, logical thing ever.

Same with tutorials. If one tutorial doesn't work - go watch more! There IS going to be someone whose tutorial clicks with your (general) brain. Maybe you need hands-on approach with a real person; maybe a video is the best (audio and visual). Maybe you like pictoral tutorials, or maybe clearly written word instructions are The Thing. Try different things, different media and from different makers.

I personally am not a video fan at all. The quality and the person's personality/style affect me more than I like to admit, and disturbs learning experiense easily. I like pictoral tutorials. Although some things simply are just the easiest to show on video. (If I make a tutorial, I like writing them out the most. It's just the easiest for me.)

I forgot to say that with fishtails and ropebraids starting with a ponytail is often recommended, and probably for a reason. Maybe a hair bobble or DIY version of it (button sewn to a hair elastic) would work, so it can be easily removed, could help in the learning process for those who are still practicing. I never use them though, so they are not neccessary.

I have no advice about how to make very long fishtail braid keep the pattern from root to tip. I haven't run into that problem myself yet. Even with my friend with almost waist length hair (anyway clearly in "long" category) the pattern was there all the way down when I braided her hair, and she did have a normal tapering.

I think it might also at least partially come down to practice: know thy hair (or the hair you are working with), and find a balance when it comes to the size of strands of fishtail braid. Start with the biggest possible sections you can at the top, that still make the attractive pattern, and as hair tapers make the sections a bit smaller. How fast you can taper the size of the sections come with practice and an "inner know-how", that is impossible/extremely difficult to put into words (silent knowledge).

Meteor's thought sounds very logical, so if it really is so, then hair with lot of taper and that is very long, might be difficult to fishtail braid so that the pattern is same all the length.

Anyone reading this with noticeable taper and longer lengths, who can fishtail braid? Can you make the pattern visible up and down the braid?

vpatt
February 29th, 2016, 07:35 AM

This is beautiful! And guess what? I totally get it because it is just like plying yarn when I spin. But alas, my hair is not long enough.....:(

Arctic
February 29th, 2016, 08:10 AM
This is beautiful! And guess what? I totally get it because it is just like plying yarn when I spin. But alas, my hair is not long enough.....:(

Of course it is!

HeartofHaleth
February 29th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Haha! I spin too. I feel like it ought to help me out when twisting my hair into buns, but it never really does! :shrug::toofers:

fiğrildi
February 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM
You did indeed - looks fantastic, congrats!!! :D

Looking great!!!

Haha, thank you! ;)

Thanks fiğrildi :) I just read a lot, have been here a looooong time, and on my active periods post a lot. :D Oh lets not forget I also experiment a lot and share my mistakes and what I've learned from them, ha ha!
(...) I personally am not a video fan at all. The quality and the person's personality/style affect me more than I like to admit, and disturbs learning experiense easily. I like pictoral tutorials. Although some things simply are just the easiest to show on video. (If I make a tutorial, I like writing them out the most. It's just the easiest for me.)

Well, Arctic, I have to say that you're some kind of superhero to me, working on your thesis while giving awesome, detailed advices here! Thank you for sharing your wise knowledge with us :flowers:

And I totally understand about not being a video fan, as you say, different brains, different wires. I'm very visual and find videos easier to understand when I'm learning a new braid or bun ;)

Arctic
February 29th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Haha, thank you! ;)

Well, Arctic, I have to say that you're some kind of superhero to me, working on your thesis while giving awesome, detailed advices here! Thank you for sharing your wise knowledge with us :flowers:

And I totally understand about not being a video fan, as you say, different brains, different wires. I'm very visual and find videos easier to understand when I'm learning a new braid or bun ;)

Aww thank you! :flowers: I had a chuckles though as what you wrote parallels pretty much with the definition of procrastination :D

It's important to know what kind of tutorials usually would be/might be the most helpful, to not waste time when searching for new ones. :)

fiğrildi
February 29th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Aww thank you! :flowers: I had a chuckles though as what you wrote parallels pretty much with the definition of procrastination :D

I procrastinate all the time too, but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are on control, and it sounds as if you're doing very well with your thesis :agree:

When I had to write mine, I spent more time here than with the thesis itself (and got top marks, ha!) > but don't tell my teachers :wigtongue

vpatt
February 29th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Of course it is!

Actually I did it and it is like that right now. But it is not very long, sigh. I think since my back is so long that my APL hair should be longer than it is. When I check out APL videos it seems like their hair is always longer than APL.

I have trouble understanding some things.....when I was in school and could not answer questions it always puzzled me when they gave the answers.....cuz I knew the answers (well not always) but that did not seem to me what they were asking. Well I don't know if you can understand what I meant.

:p

Arctic
February 29th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I procrastinate all the time too, but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are on control, and it sounds as if you're doing very well with your thesis :agree:

When I had to write mine, I spent more time here than with the thesis itself (and got top marks, ha!) > but don't tell my teachers :wigtongue

Right now the thesis-surfing balance seems to be working, but I have to use Leechblock sometimes. :D But thesis and studies have been progressing nicely, so I mostly allow the LHC time without guilt. :)

Congrats on successful thesis!

Actually I did it and it is like that right now. But it is not very long, sigh. I think since my back is so long that my APL hair should be longer than it is. When I check out APL videos it seems like their hair is always longer than APL.

I have trouble understanding some things.....when I was in school and could not answer questions it always puzzled me when they gave the answers.....cuz I knew the answers (well not always) but that did not seem to me what they were asking. Well I don't know if you can understand what I meant.

:p

Yahoo, great job! Lenght will come, just wait and see :)

I understand what you mean. I have my own quircks too which sometimes complicate things. I think we all do to some degree.

Beborani
February 29th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I think I have linked my fishtail from the blogs on here somewhere so don't want to keep linking but I can easily make this braid (on certain hair days) and it is nearly the only braid that looks good on my hair. It is of average thickness at the start of braid and tapers quite significantly though I leave out the ends to just curl. I suspect it is harder on thicker and longer hair as you have to go on and on with no end in sight!

AJNinami
March 5th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I've been slowly trimming out my taper, and haven't fishtailed since before then. To continue the fishtail pattern, you need to make sure to take sections that are 1/4th or smaller than the amount of hair in each of the two sections (basically the smaller each section gets, the less hair you will use). It also helps with the neatness to make sure you are taking hair from behind the section instead of from the side, maybe even giving it a slight twist.

My rope braids always unravel no matter what I do. :(