PDA

View Full Version : Funny long story: from hair trims related anxiety to "someone just cut my hair now!"

*ReiKa*
July 29th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone!
I thought some of you might enjoy this story or might just find it a different and more pleasant experience among all of those that ended up badly or that just turned out to be "a bad choice" or a "bad raptus".
*******Disclaimer*******
It's gonna be reeeaaally long! I appreciate if anyone will actually read it all! LOL!

I reached TBL just a month ago, more or less, probably I was already at TBL two months ago but I only called it so last month.
When I realised that my hair finally and *officially* reached TBL, I was quite happy. That was my ultimate goal and I was at it, after a 5 years journey of dedicated hair care (I started from a damaged and ugly chin-lenght haircut), sometimes full of anxiety and impatience, I eventually won, a small but satisfying victory.
But something changed in me, RAPIDLY, and when I say rapidly, I really mean it.
As soon as I said to myself "I finally reached my goal", as quickly as the following days I started having "disturbing" thoughts.
I've had my natural brown color for all these 5 years, and all of sudden, I got bored of it. Yep, I woke up one day, looked in the mirror and started thinking that it was ugly and that it bored the hell out of me.
"I need a change", I said to myself...."maybe some highlights, or some nice caramel balayage, awwwww how pretty is that?!"
Wowowo haaaang on...I need a change?! let's do highlights?! Balayage? BLEACH?! what the hell is going on with me!!!
I panicked... I started panicking, seriously... some demons are possessing me! Somebody call an exorcist!
For all these years I've been all about keeping myself natural, not exposing my hair to very damaging stuff like bleach, and now I want to bleach my hair?! This can't be possible....
But then another "evil voice" joined the other ones.......I started thinking about cutting my hair.
No I never wanted to do a huge chop, like from TBL to waist or BSL, but I wasn't planning to maintain at TBL either, like, I was just letting my hair do its own thing, it wants to keep growing? I'll let it grow and just do my half-inch trim every 6 months... I never actually said to myself "I just don't want to grow it anymore", actually, I had the firm intention of letting it grow, and I wasn't even due a trim until end of September, so....why on earth am I thinking about cutting it now?
OMG, this is crazy!!
I also noticed that I started looking at people with mid-back lenght hair and felt a tiny amount of jealousy towards them.......I mean, really?? why?!?
The truth came to the surface after a couple of weeks... my hair was just getting too long and impratical and it was getting on my nerves..
I need to specify that I wear my hair down 80% of the times... in a 7 days week, I'll wear my hair down for 5 days... I just love to wear it down and it's all that matters for me. When my hair's up I feel ugly.
But now it's getting too long, it goes everywhere, I feel it everywhere, it's so heavy (my hair is straight-ish but THICK) that whatever I do it'll be there, bothering me! THAT'S IT!
And then one day I did one thing....
I googled "balayage on dark hair" and looked at pictures of people with my same hair color and balayage.... I picked one that I like, saved it on my phone, googled for salons that use Olaplex in my hometown, picked one, asked my mum to call them and book me an appointment in a few weeks when I'll be there for holidays. DONE, booked, I'll get balayage done in my hair. I got convinced.
And then 4 days ago, I did something else....
I went to the salon where my lovely favourite hairdresser works, because..... I just want to take some lenght off, I had enough!!! I just had ENOUGH!!!! Let's just do it!!!
I was aboslutely AMAZED of myself, I usually don't sleep for 3 days before my trim because I'm a nervous wreck although I trust my hairdresser, and now I am just marching to the salon and get it cut!!! WOW.....
So I got there and.....big surprise! Your trusted hairdresser doesn't work anymore there and, to make things worse, nobody knows where she is working now! And you don't know her surname, so you can't search her on Facebook! She's just gone, forever!
OH-MY..... I don't a have a trusted hairdresser anymore.... I'm f****d..
But while I was there and looked at the hairdressers that were working that day, I saw a male hairdresser... I recognised him cos my hairdresser once told me "If you ever happen to come here and not find me, let him cut your hair (pointing at him), he's really good!"
I would have never let him cut my hair before, I would have just waited for my hairdresser to come back from her days off...
But I don't have a hairdresser anymore...... but no, I won't let him cut my hair....
I politely thanked the receptionist and left the salon....in a very bad mood....
But while I was walking away I started to think: "So what? I need to find another hairdresser anyway... she's gone and I have no way to find her, I need a new one... just trust what she said to you and try the guy... also, I had enough of this lenght and want to chop it a bit... let's just get this haircut now!!!"
And I did... I went back to the salon, asked the receptionist to have that guy for my haircut and I sat down waiting for him to get free...
When he came to me, I explained him everything, said that I wanted a trim (I thought I would start slowly.. I showed him my two fingers, which measure a little more that 1") and that I wanted to add more layers...
He was really nice, he listened to me and asked me a lot of questions about how I wanted the haircut. We decided together how the haircut was going to be... and he asked me details and made sure I agreed to what he was going to do, just like I used to do with my hairdresser, just like PROPER hairdressers do.
He made questions during the haircut too: "Would you like this to be this way or that way? I am going to cut the face framing layers from here, are you alright with that? How would you like your bang, can I start cutting from here or you'd prefer a longer bang that starts from here? Do you want me to connect these layers here with these layers on the bottom?" and many others.
He finished the haircut, blow-dried my hair (he gave such GORGEOUS natural loose waves!! No irons, only with a brush and the hair dryer) and at the end, he made me get up and showed me my hair at the back with a mirror, asking me if I was happy with the result.
Am I happy?!?!? My hair was UNBELIEVABLE, girls!!
He truly cut off only what I showed him (I went from TBL to BCL basically) and the haircut is FANTASTIC! The layers are sooo gorgeous and my hair is much lighter but still super thick! I don't have that heavy feeling anymore, I feel my hair is lighter like a BSL but it's actually a BCL!!!
I washed my hair since that day and I looooove it!!! I can hardly contain my hair in one hand when I grab it for how thick it is and when I leave it down it's like having no hair!! LOL! It's so light, and so much movement from the added layers!
This was seriously a magic haircut!! But how terribly risky was it?!? I let a stranger cut my hair without even planning it!! I could have ended up with a chin-lenght haircut, LOL! But nothing like this happened, this story proves that really good hairdressers DO exist!
And what else is good? While chatting with him he gave me my favourite hairdresser's surname and I found her on Facebook!! Now I know TWO great hairdressers!
And in a few weeks, I'll get the balayage of my dreams! :)
No anxiety for trims anymore, I'll just trim whenever I want and maintain more or less at BCL/TBL.
I am so satisfied with my hair, I reached the full happiness! I don't feel like looking at pictures and envy anyone's hair anymore, cos I, myself, have the hair I've always dreamed!
With a smile on my face I officially declare that my journey has come to an end and that I've gained total *hair happiness*.
I hope you enjoyed this story and thank you for reading!

missrandie
July 29th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Congrats on hair nirvana! And good luck with the balayage!

kirby
July 29th, 2015, 12:37 PM
What a cute story :p It's so nice to see a story about a GOOD hair experience at a salon!! :D It sounds like that hairdresser really knew how to deal with someone with long hair, by not doing ANYTHING without asking first and making sure you two were on the same page the whole time. How wonderful!
I feel like once a lot of people hit their goal length, they realize how long they've had the same hair for and how long it's been since they felt like they could do anything to it without the fear of losing length before hitting their goal. Once they hit their goal... they get itchy about color, style, length... So it totally makes sense that you got so daring all of the sudden!
Thankfully your risk taking turned out for the best. I know what you mean by having "total hair happiness", I can't wait for the day I get there!! I'm so happy you've found another great hairdresser, and hopefully you can go back to him when you get bored again and have another awesome experience ;)

Night_Kitten
July 29th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Wow, that's great! :D
I'm glad you found your perfect hairstyle and length, the most important thing is to enjoy our hair (and hair journey) and it seems youv'e found the way to do that :)

Laur
July 29th, 2015, 01:56 PM
What a great story! Hooray for hair happiness!

pastina
July 29th, 2015, 02:03 PM
This story made me so happy!! :joy:

missblueeyes
July 29th, 2015, 03:08 PM
What a beautiful story, ReKia! I'm so glad you're found your hair-comfort zone. :) I'm really happy for you!

Lady Katherine
July 29th, 2015, 04:08 PM
That was a great story! I'm glad that you're happy with your hair now and that you have two hairstylists you can depend upon! :)

Aurum
July 29th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I'm so glad you found a hairdresser who makes you happy. When you find a good one, never let him go!

Kiiruna
July 30th, 2015, 03:48 AM
I love this kind of happy stories :o So many people have bad experiences from hair dressers, so it's lovely to read how people have had a nice visit at a salon!

embee
July 30th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Wow, I've read TWO good-hairdresser good-trim stories so far this morning, amazing! :)

FallingDarkness
July 30th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Unheard of!!! I'd love to see pics though :) Congrats on having a positive experience! And for getting exactly what you want. :)

missblueeyes
July 30th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I know this might not be the right place to ask this but I was randomly thinking about winter haircare and I suddenly remembered that you wore your hair down 80% of the time, which I'm aiming to do from now on, too, which is why I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask this, ReKia: How do you care for your hair during winter? Putting it up and oiling it is easy but when you want to wear it down it's a whole different story. :) Is there anything you do differently in winter when it's really cold as opposed to summer? :flower:

I absolutely second the call for pictures when you're done with the ombré, by the way. :)

*ReiKa*
July 30th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you loved the story :flower:
I thought it would have been a flash of light among all of those "horror stories" that unfortunately we read here :(
I'll definitely post a picture when I get the balayage done ;)
And yes, the hairdresser was absolutely fantastic and super professional, constantly making sure we were on the same page and that I was happy for him to do what he was planning to do! They should give a gold metal to this kind of hairdressers!! Not joking, they should be really awarded for doing their job properly, which is making sure that the customer is happy and gets what she wanted and asked for. It's kinda pointless having great hairdressing techniques if eventually the customer isn't happy with what you did.
Unfortunately the company that runs that salon is a cr*ppy one, they don't care about their employees and I thought about getting the manager and speaking with him/her to report my lovely experience with him (they don't even have a manager there I think.... just hairdressers and a receptionist) but it wouldn't have made a difference.... he said to me that the wages are low with no chances of payrises.... giving him a tip was the best I could do...

missblueyes, I don't do anything greatly different to my hair during the winter.
Yes on colder month it may get a bit drier, that's why, for me, it's important to protect it (and yes, for me protecting it doesn't involve putting it up eheh :p )
So far neutral henna hair packs have helped me a lot. It coats the hair in a different way that silicones do, and makes it stronger and more resilient (now that I'll bleach my hair I'll have to stop doing it, and that's a shame, I'll miss it!). Also it's important to use nourishing leave-ins, for this purpose I recommend Aveda's Damage Remedy, it contains quinoa proteins, it really DOES give your hair some extra strenght, I do feel my hair different when using it (it requires you to clarify your hair from time to time, those quinoa proteins are really some stuff!).

I was thinking to open a thread for hair-down lovers for this purpose!

Meadhbh
July 30th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I laaav this story haha. I'm glad to know someone has good experiences with salons. When I lived in London I had a terrible visit to a salon, had my hair chopped from tailbone to bsl with a fringe, when I had asked for a small trim and layers :scissors: :( had a rough time trying to grow it back!

missblueeyes
July 31st, 2015, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the tips! The neutral henna is out for me because my ends are very prone to discolouring because they've been bleached before but I really need to look into leave-ins for winter. :) My hair doesn't like proteins at all but I bet I'll find one to suit my taste, too!
The thread for people who love to wear their hair down is definitely a good idea! There's a group for it but it's pretty inactive. I think a thread would be far better!