PDA

View Full Version : Hair frustrations - feel like chopping it all off!

oddelabop
July 29th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Hi all!

I'm having a bit of a disastrous few weeks with my hair, and I'm beginning to feel frustrated and angry with it, so much so I'm considering giving it a big chop.

I've been growing out a few highlights, and the roots tell me it should've grown approximately 2 inches since the last highlights I had - but it doesn't seem to add up length wise. Every time I measure my hair I get 42 inches and other times 40-41 inches. It never ever feels like it's growing. It's fallen amongst the big bum abyss!! I was aiming to grow to mid thigh, but I'm lacking inspiration and feeling like I'm getting absolutely nowhere anymore. Is it possible I've met the dreaded terminal length?

ladies, are there more accurate ways of measuring your hair? And if you have ever felt like this, how have you overcome it? It's really getting me down!

Thanks for reading :) x

lapushka
July 29th, 2015, 07:09 AM
By cutting it you'll never find out if you're at terminal length. That takes at least a year of observing whether or not it'll grow more. If it's getting a little too long to handle, then cut back to a previous milestone first, it might just be length-frustration and that'll solve it without you chopping up your hair for a frustrated feeling.

I'd just let it grow. The highlights (bleach) might have something to do with the lack of growth - it might be breaking off. So you have a hurdle here.

Nique1202
July 29th, 2015, 07:11 AM
It's possible that you've hit your terminal length, but if the bottom of your hair has been bleached/highlighted (especially more than once) it could also be breakage from the accumulated damage. Normal wear and tear adds up, especially when you add bleach to the mix.

I'd say you should baby your ends, wear your hair in more protective styles, use a silicone serum on the bottom few inches of your hair if you don't already, and give it time. You may or may not want to trim the bottom inch or so, just to get rid of some of the worst damage, but that's up to yourself.

oddelabop
July 29th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I'll give it a shot and wait out for a few more months before I cut. By the sound of things, I could just be facing a set back. I only had half head of highlights, never any bleach, just ammonia based solution (which I know isn't great, but it's better than bleach) but never in the bottom half of my hair. Perhaps I'm obsessing too much!

flickm
July 29th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Nooooooooooo don't cut it! i did that (mid back to shoulder) because of straggly damage, and now am impatiently waiting for it to reach the length it was before, then on to waist/hip if it will. If you really want to have shorter hair, cut, but if you are fedup at least take a deep breath.

spidermom
July 29th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I think hair cutting only satisfies if you're truly longing for a change and a shorter style. You will most likely regret cutting just because you're frustrated.

gyhaslan
July 29th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Maybe try microtrimming/cutting 1/2 of each month's growth? That way you're not losing significant length but slowly getting rid of damage and evening your hemline while maintaining length for the time being? From what I've seen so far, a lot of people are happy with this.

I've seen several people suggest just care for it, put it up, and not worry about constantly checking growth. Then, just checking your progress quarterly so you can hopefully see a real difference then.

oddelabop
July 29th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all your help and advise ladies. I may just try the micro trimming and just stop measuring until next year. It's driving me crazy!!!

HairPlease
July 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Stop the chop!!

Trim for sure. Take extra care of your ends and maintain your length for a bit, then try to resume growing. If it doesn't grow, it doesn't grow. You have long, beautiful hair that I wish I had! If it's terminal length, so what? Enjoy it!

Johannah
July 29th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I'd try microtrimming and measuring frequently. If you notice your hair 'starts to grow again' after a microtrim, guess your hair is breaking off at the ends.

And for some motivation, look at my signature.

Agnes Hannah
July 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I'm frustrated with mine too at the moment, it just will not behave! Bunning is a no no, it doesn't like ficcares, forks or sticks right now, all I can reliably do is braid it to sleep in and keep the braid in during the day, folding it up and securing it with a claw. Hopefully this is just a temporary glich! It is at hip right now and even though it is a pain in the rear, I just can't cut it! It has taken me so long to get to this length, it is worth the trouble! One day I hope it will be good again and behave itself! I have decided to just leave it alone, so the braid is put in and left until next wash day. Hair is a drama queen really in hair form. Good luck!

Nique1202
July 29th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I'll give it a shot and wait out for a few more months before I cut. By the sound of things, I could just be facing a set back. I only had half head of highlights, never any bleach, just ammonia based solution (which I know isn't great, but it's better than bleach) but never in the bottom half of my hair. Perhaps I'm obsessing too much!

Hair bleach is just ammonia and peroxide, not actual chlorine bleach like you'd use on clothes, so it's probably just hair bleach by a different name and just as damaging. Even if you don't apply the stuff to the bottom half of your hair, as it grows out and becomes the bottom half it encounters hair ties, tangles, brushes, rubs against clothing, and all the other potential daily sources of damage on hair. It all adds up and could absolutely lead to the kind of breakage that makes it seem like you're not growing anymore.

True terminal length often has a lot of taper from the top to the bottom of the hair because of the slight differences in terminal length across the scalp, and the length of the scalp itself. If your hair is still fairly thick/full at the bottom then taking care of it while the damage grows out (with some light application of silicones to patch the damage, protective styles, etc.) should get you at least near your final goal. Or, you could keep doing what you've been doing (if that's what makes you happy) and treat this as your terminal length, trimming a little every now and again if the ends look too ragged after a while.

The only thing you're doing too much of, I think, is worrying. :)

oddelabop
July 29th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Guys, you are so right! I remeasured and completely forgot about the trim i had inbetween the past measuring attempt. Im such a ninny. I guess hair growing really does take patience and I can't expect miracles to happen!!!

oddelabop
July 29th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Hair is a drama queen really in hair form.

This made me smile :)