PDA

View Full Version : Am i a bad person for this? Also a mini rant.

cdonald2
July 28th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I keep hearing stories of people who are ignorant enough to tell all of you long haired lovelies that you need to cut your hair. I cant wait for mine to grow out really long so I can encounter these people and make them feel foolish for imposing on something that doesnt affect them.

I guess what brought this on, is I have a friend, who is male. His hair is kinky curly and beautiful. Its shoulder length (maybe a little longer) and a girl came up and said to him "You need to cut off your hair. I F@$&ing hate it" He was so flabbergasted he was like " Uh, ok, im sorry"

Like seriously!!!! WHO DOES THAT?!?!?! I would have punched someone in the face if they were that rude to me! UGH!

Sorry, feeling angry over this :(

woodswanderer
July 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Well, you won't necessarily get mean comments to your face. I haven't gotten anything mean...just people pushing me to donate. Maybe I will when I get older.

calmyogi
July 28th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I don't even have that long of hair yet, but when I talk about how long I want my hair to be i have had comments like "then you can donate it". It bothers me and I'm not even to my goal yet.

winship2
July 28th, 2015, 09:33 PM
No-one has ever said this to me and I've been WL for a year. What's going on with all these other people you talk about??

Sarahlabyrinth
July 28th, 2015, 09:48 PM
It may depend on your age whether you get these comments, or what country you live in. I certainly get these remarks from my sisters.

Knifegill
July 28th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Tell them to donate a kidney. Be angry at them for having an extra kidney and ALL those people dying they could have saved.

Frankenstein
July 28th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I guess what brought this on, is I have a friend, who is male. His hair is kinky curly and beautiful. Its shoulder length (maybe a little longer) and a girl came up and said to him "You need to cut off your hair. I F@$&ing hate it" He was so flabbergasted he was like " Uh, ok, im sorry"

I dated a guy who had the same type of hair and it was funny because people either loved or hated it. When my aunt met him she was all nice to his face and cooing over his hair, but I later found out she had told her 7 year old son he had "better not ever let his hair look like that" 5 minutes later :rolleyes:

I've only ever had one negative comment said to me personally and that was from my best friend. He said my hair was too long, but he has pretty narrow views of how women should look and has a problem with pretty much anything longer than BSL.

missrandie
July 28th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Tell them to donate a kidney. Be angry at them for having an extra kidney and ALL those people dying they could have saved.

How DARE all those selfish people!
And they darn sure better be donating blood! A pint every 56 days or they are letting people DIE. Shame on them for keeping their blood.

Lol Knifegill you made my night.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 28th, 2015, 11:33 PM
The person who raves on about my hair being nasty IS a blood donor....

ghost
July 28th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Nah, you're not a bad person. I'm pretty non-confrontational about most things, but I will always say something if people are offering unasked for BS about my personal appearance. My default response to "You need to cut (or donate) your hair!" is "Actually, I don't need to do anything you say," said in a very unpleasant tone of voice. I find refuge in blunt, deadpan statements or in deep sarcasm. Why waste time arguing or explaining when you can just shut them down and make them go away?

flickm
July 29th, 2015, 12:01 AM

Brilliant response!

Sjirsten
July 29th, 2015, 12:49 AM
All these people who are pushing others to donate, why are they not growing out their own hair and donate that?

Johannah
July 29th, 2015, 01:29 AM

I'm the kind of person who would answer this, lol. Luckily nobody told me to donate my hair.

flickm
July 29th, 2015, 02:10 AM
I'm the kind of person who would answer this, lol. Luckily nobody told me to donate my hair.

Is this hair donation an American thing? I've never heard of hair donation in Britain, or charities collecting hair.

Elly May
July 29th, 2015, 03:37 AM
My standard first response to rude people is, "Wow. I can't believe you just said that!" and just walk off....but I will certainly stand my ground of need be. :)

Johannah
July 29th, 2015, 04:04 AM
Is this hair donation an American thing? I've never heard of hair donation in Britain, or charities collecting hair.

Oh no, it's not. I've heard from several people (especially my age) who donated their hair. It's just not as common as in America I guess, and people don't think it's an 'obligation' if you know what I mean.

missrandie
July 29th, 2015, 05:40 AM
The person who raves on about my hair being nasty IS a blood donor....

Your tormenters are big meany poop heads that normal comebacks probably don't work as well on. Just keep listening to that fantastic SO you've got and the snot faced crew that nags at you can go suck an egg.

schnibbles
July 29th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Hair donation is very common here in the US. In my area especially, it seems. They just had a story on the local news about a girl's volleyball (or maybe it was softball?) team where each team member was growing her hair for a year and they organized a big group chop-off; news cameras rolling as the stylists (who also donated their time for the event) cut each girl's hair into a short bob. All of the hair was given to Locks of Love. :undecided
It's almost as if you get a "Gold Star" for saying that you're growing to donate... it's glorified in a way. I personally think this mentality is very strange. As we already know, there are lots and lots of charities that need help. They would love it if people would just give their time on a weekend or whatever. The soup kitchen is rarely on the news because homelessness is "unpleasant" but hair donation seems to have a "feel good" stigma that people here just eat right up.

Sorry for going off on a tangent...:dizzy:

lapushka
July 29th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Wohohow, rude much? :shocked:

Hairkay
July 29th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Hair donation is very common here in the US. In my area especially, it seems. They just had a story on the local news about a girl's volleyball (or maybe it was softball?) team where each team member was growing her hair for a year and they organized a big group chop-off; news cameras rolling as the stylists (who also donated their time for the event) cut each girl's hair into a short bob. All of the hair was given to Locks of Love. :undecided
It's almost as if you get a "Gold Star" for saying that you're growing to donate... it's glorified in a way. I personally think this mentality is very strange. As we already know, there are lots and lots of charities that need help. They would love it if people would just give their time on a weekend or whatever. The soup kitchen is rarely on the news because homelessness is "unpleasant" but hair donation seems to have a "feel good" stigma that people here just eat right up.

Donating that way is very visible and you can see who was the one donating. Since wigs could be made without hair donations it's just an extra thing. Yes I do know that hair wigs last longer. I've heard some of the donated hair can end up being sold, not going to the original causes. This way of donation heavily focuses on looks. Thankfully where I live no one talks about hair donation. They'll mention blood, having an organ donor card, bone marrow donation, donating funds and voluntary work.

Even if I lived in places where this hair donation thing is a tend my kinky curly hair would not be a popular target for donation.

lfbddjw
July 29th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I've donated 21 inches of hair before, as per parents' orders to get rid of my hair that was "way too long and didn't look at all good on me." But that's not the only reason I'll never donate hair again.

http://lamenta3.disavian.net/2010/05/why-i-will-never-donate-my-hair-to-locks-of-love-or-anyone-else/

This is a good article to reference whenever people harp on you to donate your hair :)

missrandie
July 29th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I've donated 21 inches of hair before, as per parents' orders to get rid of my hair that was "way too long and didn't look at all good on me." But that's not the only reason I'll never donate hair again.

http://lamenta3.disavian.net/2010/05/why-i-will-never-donate-my-hair-to-locks-of-love-or-anyone-else/

This is a good article to reference whenever people harp on you to donate your hair :)

I knew about this article but forgot the sources. Thank you for bringing it up!

spidermom
July 29th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody has one, and most of them stink.

HairPlease
July 29th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody has one, and most of them stink.
I agree. Haha.

But on other notes I did have a friend who donated a few years ago to locks of love. She felt good about it, and proud that she did it. I left well enough alone. I just said something like "That was kind of you!", smiled, and continued about my merry way.

flickm
July 29th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks for explaining. It's almost kind of creepy...

lfbddjw
July 29th, 2015, 11:32 AM
No problem missrandie! I have that problem too, bookmarking wayyy too many pages then not being able to find the ones I want, haha. I'm glad this one was easy to find.