PDA

View Full Version : T-Shirts Cause Frizz for Drying but Microfiber Doesn't?

Lorzi
July 27th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm very confused over a recent discovery I made with my hair....
I have fine, medium thickness, BSL length hair and wash with silicone-free conditioner and diluted sulfate shampoo every other day. I use mineral oil as a leave in and blow dry on cool to dry. I've been using this routine for a few months and its the best routine I've ever had and my hair likes it, minus the frizz I've been experiencing constantly!

I usually use a t-shirt to dry my hair (various ones that are 100% cotton), and I've been doing that for years, because I've read that's just the best for your hair. Recently, I found a microfiber hair towel and have been using that, because it soaks up water a lot faster. Not only that though...I've immediately noticed my hair is frizz free and sleeker? All the baby hairs that usually curl up lie straight now and my hair is generally smoother.

I'm wondering how this is possible? I figured t-shirts were the best option as that's all I've read! In fact...I've never read anyone ever hating t-shirts or not having them work out. I'm happy that my hair is behaving but I'm just totally confused as to why microfiber works so much better :confused: hopefully you lovely experts can help me out? Thank you!

lapushka
July 27th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Yes, a t-shirt doesn't work for me either. It's a matter of YMMV. I like a regular turbie (terry cloth) or microfiber turbie towel for my hair. Works like a charm. A shirt doesn't absorb nearly the water I need it to absorb, so that's out for me.

Use whatever works. :thumbsup:

meteor
July 27th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I've never even heard of claims that cotton is better than microfiber for hair? :hmm:

Obviously, I've heard that cotton T-shirts are better than terrycloth towels, so personally I'd choose cotton over terrycloth, since terrycloth can be a bit rough, enough to cause frizz...
But microfiber is actually made of thinner strands, "microscopic sized fibers. The fibers are much thinner than a human hair." (http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/microfiber93.htm) This allows them to be super-absorbent (allowing for much faster hair drying times), but also less rough.

(For a material to be considered microfiber, it must be less than 1 denier (or 1 decitex/thread) in diameter. This is smaller than the diameter of a strand of silk (http://austinlinen.com/choosing-your-sheets-cotton-vs-microfiber/) (fine silk measures at 1.25 deniers), which is itself about 1/5 the diameter of a human hair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber)

gthlvrmx
July 27th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I also have heard from CurlyPenny on youtube that it's better to use a 100% cotton T-shirt to dry your hair than a regular towel because it causes less breakage and damage than regular towels. I am trying the t-shirt drying thing out but it does not get my hair as dry as I want it to be.

ravenreed
July 27th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Since I am not scrubbing my hair with my towel, I am not sure how one can be better than another, honestly. All I do is wrap everything up and let most of the water get absorbed. I have microfiber, I have a cotton t-shirt material one, I have regular terrycloth towels. I use them all depending on which is clean and available. I haven't paid attention to the frizz factor though. It is the monsoon season here in the desert right now and one of the few times of the year where we actually get humidity. My hair is frizzier than normal. I should pay attention to how frizzy the towels make my hair.

omega
July 27th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Good topic. One of my next purchases has to be a microfiber turbie towel of some sort.

Lorzi
July 27th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Yes, a t-shirt doesn't work for me either. It's a matter of YMMV. I like a regular turbie (terry cloth) or microfiber turbie towel for my hair. Works like a charm. A shirt doesn't absorb nearly the water I need it to absorb, so that's out for me.

Use whatever works. :thumbsup:

This is a relief! I'm glad I'm not alone in this, it makes me feel much better, haha. I agree the T-shirt doesn't absorb enough as well. Thanks! Hair care really is truly unique to the individual down to every aspect I suppose!

I've never even heard of claims that cotton is better than microfiber for hair? :hmm:

Obviously, I've heard that cotton T-shirts are better than terrycloth towels, so personally I'd choose cotton over terrycloth, since terrycloth can be a bit rough, enough to cause frizz...
But microfiber is actually made of thinner strands, "microscopic sized fibers. The fibers are much thinner than a human hair." (http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/microfiber93.htm) This allows them to be super-absorbent (allowing for much faster hair drying times), but also less rough.

(For a material to be considered microfiber, it must be less than 1 denier (or 1 decitex/thread) in diameter. This is smaller than the diameter of a strand of silk (http://austinlinen.com/choosing-your-sheets-cotton-vs-microfiber/) (fine silk measures at 1.25 deniers), which is itself about 1/5 the diameter of a human hair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber)

Not cotton specifically - but just that T-shirts should be used instead of terrycloth towel as the loops in the towels cause more frizz with the friction? Unless this only applies in junction with rubbing. Thank you for the facts on what constitutes as microfiber and the science behind it!

I also have heard from CurlyPenny on youtube that it's better to use a 100% cotton T-shirt to dry your hair than a regular towel because it causes less breakage and damage than regular towels. I am trying the t-shirt drying thing out but it does not get my hair as dry as I want it to be.

I agree on the slow drying times too! This is why I'm favouring my microfiber towel now!

Since I am not scrubbing my hair with my towel, I am not sure how one can be better than another, honestly. All I do is wrap everything up and let most of the water get absorbed. I have microfiber, I have a cotton t-shirt material one, I have regular terrycloth towels. I use them all depending on which is clean and available. I haven't paid attention to the frizz factor though. It is the monsoon season here in the desert right now and one of the few times of the year where we actually get humidity. My hair is frizzier than normal. I should pay attention to how frizzy the towels make my hair.

It may not affect everyone, I guess It's just an odd thing of YMMV! However I thought T-shirt towels were one of those things which were good for everyone :confused:

Hairkay
July 28th, 2015, 03:54 AM
I haven't heard anyone say t-shirts were better than microfibre. All I've heard is that using a t-shirt or microfibre is more beneficial than regular terry cloth towels. I use a cotton t-shirt because it's what I've got available. Regular towels can pull at my curls enough to break strands. When I used towels sometimes I'd get pain from hair getting grabbed by the towel loops until the hair snaps off. I'd see the broken bits stuck in the towel. Yes the t-shirts aren't that absorbent but that suits me fine because detangling damp hair and oiling when damp is best for my hair type.

Use what works best for you.

flickm
July 28th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I recently bought one of these from the local Thursday market (UK site): http://www.pashalife.co.uk/ they aren't as absorbent as a terry towel, but way better than a t-shirt. And washing makes them softer and more absorbent the more you do it, so am hoping it gets better in time. and they are rather lovely and very lightweight.