PDA

View Full Version : Summertime neglecting hair care: my personal experience.

Federica
July 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone! I'm having great results in my summertime routine so far, and I thought I'd share it with you!

A little of background: my hair is almost BCL, quite curly, coarse and overall a II/III thickness.
In wintertime I usually WCC once a week, flat iron just the upper part (let's say to shoulder length) and braid it. I have a very few splits and quite healthy hair.
But in summertime I can't really stick to my usual routine, because here in Italy where I live is soooo much hot and humid (plus, I'm in a large urban area, Milan).
I have and i mean HAVE to take at least a couple of showers every day, sometimes even four, just to cool out. I usually just go under the cold water for less than a minute, wash my body with soap and basically go water only for my hair.
I feel that my hair is not negatively affected with the frequent wetting, as long as I air dry and put it up most of the time.
Occasionally after many days (not less than a week) of WO my hai can get a bit oily, and those times I do my regular WCC with shampoo and conditioner, but I must say that usually WO and a light oiling on ends works perfectly to me in summertime.
My hair has grown a lot and is really less dry than the years before in summertime, when I tried to avoid frequent washings.

What about your summer routine, folks?

HairPlease
July 27th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I do something similar. I play a lot of golf and I take a lot of showers, and the humidity where I live is fairly intense in the summer. I used to condition every wash with just a baby shampoo to get the gunk out of my hair. Now I do WO unless it's really grimy. No detrimental effects. :)

lapushka
July 27th, 2015, 02:53 PM
My routine is the same year round WCC + (ROO) + LOC. ROO aka rinse-out oil (all of these are in my signature) is on hold for me right now. I'm taking a break from it, but it's a good method! I love my routine and rarely change it up.

meteor
July 27th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I do scalp-only washes more frequently in summertime (to rinse off sweat), and I also use much less and much lighter conditioners and a lot less oil. I also wear hair up every day (it's too hot when it's down anyway) and I try to wear a hat whenever I'm out to protect my scalp and hair from UV rays.

My hair loves high humidity, so summertime is nice for it, it's the winters that are really tough on my hair and require more TLC. :)

Obviously, for swimming, my routine changes dramatically. I do pre-pool heavy oiling and always rinse after swimming and use swimmers' chelating shampoos, followed with pretty intense conditioning.

wilderwein
July 27th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I also have to wash more frequently. I'm thinking to search for a really light conditioner, and do dilluted CO washes between the normal shampoo washes. =/
Federica our countries have exactly the same hot weatherhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/#30220565). I couldn't evem move today by it hahahaha

DeadlyUnicorn
July 27th, 2015, 11:46 PM
This year when I've gotten really sweaty I've been trying water only as well. I only like to wet my hair once a day because I don't like dealing with it drying. Even if it is mostly dry in about an hour :p

If I go swimming it's usually in like natural waters, not chlorinated water. So I don't worry too much about that and just wash with my normal stuff. I leave my hair down, but most recently it was in a bun and that was actually really nice :) When my hair gets wet my head seems to get really sensitive so any tugging on my hair hurts. That's why I go with it loose, instead of a ponytail or braid.

I have to say though, whether it's the new place I've moved to or my new routines, I'm MUCH happier with my hair this summer! :o

pailin
July 28th, 2015, 01:24 AM
It never gets very cold here, so I'm really on a summer routine all the time. I wash my hair everyday and make sure to condition well. I hate what winter does to my hair. I remember in high school (when I still used a plastic bristle brush), if I turned off the lights and brushed my hair, I could see sparks in the mirror. Moving to a warm place was the most hair-friendly thing I've ever done.