PDA

View Full Version : MSM Effectiveness

ChloeDharma
October 6th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I've been looking for information on MSM, i see lots of claims that it extends the anagen phase of the growth cycle but haven't been able to find any actual studies showing this.
Anyway, what i'd be really interested in is what results people here have had of taking it.

I'm especially interested in any effect it's had on hair thickness, growth rate and if anybody who reached terminal length before taking it has found it's allowed the hair to gain more length.
Also how long and what doses have been taken.

willowcandra
October 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I bought the generic holland and barratt one and took one a day for six months and have to say I noticed no change at all in shedd rate. Of course I can't comment on growth phase as My hair is not terminal. And I was only taking one a day (due to reports of weird dreams and such.)

In my own unscientific opinion it's going to be one of those supplements that really help you if you don't get it naturally in your diet already. According to what I read when I bought it...sulphur is present in soil and intensive farming depletes the levels in soils. If you eat more organic and more naturally grown smaller scale vegetables you will probbaly getting a bit more in your diet.

I would say if you can afford it ,try it for three months or so and see how it works for you.

ChloeDharma
October 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks Willow hun....i was starting to wonder how comes nobody had replied on this thread!
I got that one from H&B, 750mg but i'm taking so far 2 a day and planning to increase to 3 or 4...though for joint problems not just hair.

dulce-de-leche
October 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I haven't noticed any change in my shedding rate either.I've been taking MSM month so maybe I have to wait a few more months.I do take other supplements like GNC nourishair,flaxseed oil,calcium,primerose oil,and biotin and my hair has grown so fast.I'm not sure if it's all the other supplements I take or if MSM is really doing something for me.

Masara
October 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I took MSM two/three month periods a few times in the last couple of years. Each time my hair growth actually slowed down. It may have been the MSM, it may have been something else. But I tried different times of year and each time it happened.

mira-chan
October 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I've been taking MSM for over a year now, 1g dose. I can't truly attribute any hair changes to it as I have had a hair type change, likely hormonal, and am taking silica too. My hair has gotten coarse but there is no change in shedding that I know of and I'm not at terminal.

My knees and shoulder on the other hand couldn't be happier. I'm taking MSM mostly for these.

lora410
October 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have been taking this since June for my joints , but my hair hasn't stalled yet :D however I do take a multi, fish oil and biotin as well.

susiemw
October 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I've been taking 5000 mg /day and don't believe it's contributed to any changes in my hair however, the difference it makes in my joints is amazing.
Without it, when I first get up in the morning, I'm walking like a 90 y.o. and have to take the stairs slowly and get both feet on each step before going on to the others, and can't stand up straight... with it, I walk and take the steps normally.

I prefer the powder so I can just add it to my protein mix... I'm not into taking handfuls of pills. I noticed an improvement at 2500 mg (1/2 tsp powder) but a huge improvement (back to normal) at 5000 mg (1 tsp).

Susan

Slug Yoga
October 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I recently became concerned about the amount I was shedding, so I started taking both MSM (1000 mg) and silica (in the form of horsetail extract), as well as taking a multivitamin on a regular basis.

I am tentative about making any definite claims about what it's done, because I only started this maybe a couple weeks ago, and there could be other causes, but I *have* noticed a big decrease in my shedding.

vidgrl007
October 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I absolutly love msm:cheese:.It has helped with my shed rate.

berr
October 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I take these or the generic clone. I buy them when they are 2fer specials or they'd be a bit expensive. http://www.movefreeadvanced.com/products.asp My joints appreciate them. I've not noticed a difference in my hair but I've not been shedding as much. I can't really attribute that to anything specific.

Shadow
December 16th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Am afraid to try it since I've heard it causes breakouts. HAs anyone had trouble with that?

Daoine Sidhe
December 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Since I take MSM my hair grows 1.5cm a month instead of 1cm. I also shed less.
I love it!

Unofficial_Rose
December 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I take it for my joints and it gets rid of muscle stiffness.

Not sure about hair or skin, but my fingernails have stopped breaking :)

zift
December 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
If someone at terminal length tries taking MSM and sees extra lengthening than that might give some ideas if MSM works or not.
For my experience I've taken 500mg MSM within another supplement for my joints and during that period my hair grew very fast minimum 2cm a month. Now I only take multivits and my regular growth is like 1,5cm.

Melisande
December 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I take MSM, in addition to multivitamin strong on Bs and Biotin, fish oil, primrose oil, magnesium-calcium-zinc, and whatever caused it - my shedding has decreased noticeably. (My new horn comb may play a role, too).

I noticed a 2cm growth since the beginning of the month - that's a record for me, 2cm in three weeks, but it may be luck. I have to measure for a longer time to see averages rising. Until now, 1.5 cm per month was my average.

I will definitely continue to take my supplements and especially the MSM. I may add silica or brewer's yeast at some point but not now.

I started about two months ago and I'm really impressed. I feel better, sleep better as well. And I do eat a lot of veggies and fruit, so I don't know how I could be lacking anything. But obviously I did.

RavennaNight
December 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Is MSM safe to take for everyone?

morguebabe
December 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I got horrible headaches and migraines on it...I was even taking half does every other day....

ChloeDharma
November 12th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Bumping up this thread. I've been terrible at remembering to take it (as is the case with me and all supplements!) so I'm hoping to hear more experiences. I'm particularly interested in this idea that it increases the anagen phase by up to 50%. If true that would help so many of us increase length or maintain thickness further down.

In2wishin
November 12th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I've been taking MSM for over a year now, 1g dose. I can't truly attribute any hair changes to it as I have had a hair type change, likely hormonal, and am taking silica too. My hair has gotten coarse but there is no change in shedding that I know of and I'm not at terminal.

My knees and shoulder on the other hand couldn't be happier. I'm taking MSM mostly for these.

I have been taking it for about 6 months for my joints (1000 mg once a day). My hair has gotten thicker and doesn't shed as much but I cannot attribute it specifically to the MSM. It could be that or the generally healthier diet I have been eating since my hospital scare.

mira-chan
November 12th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Same as above. I take it for my joints still. My hair has gotten much better with other things getting my health in order. Shedding does get slowed by it I think.

diddiedaisy
November 13th, 2014, 03:07 AM
It helps my shed rate but not growth