PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted: Identify the bun.

Hypnotica
July 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I remember this bun from a long time ago - you use one hairstick, wrap the hair around it, flip it over and insert it along the scalp, then wind the tail over and under the hairstick once and then wind the rest of the tail around.

Gah, I can't remember and I was thinking of making another video but I need the name of the bun because I sure as H did not invent it.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11755703_10152880922542890_1523855981013145352_n.j pg?oh=ded7ae579c9bf9b07e2b2bdb470e3b16&oe=56199654

neko_kawaii
July 24th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Pha Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig) goes vertical and I'll come up with the horizontal version name in a minute. . .KL Wrapped/Stick bun (tutorial is now a dead link).

ETA: One more poke found a functioning KarenLynn tutorial: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KarenLynn/media/Updos/wrappedbun1.mp4.html

Anje
July 24th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Yeah, it sounds like the Pha bun (which I've also seen called the orchid wrap bun, which was distinct from the orchid bun/cervix bun and therefore confusing!), though I don't think the over-under around the stick is typical. Though I'd forgotten about the Karen Lynn knot. :D I used to do that one!

Hypnotica
July 24th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Ohh, it sounds about right :) I'm thinking of making a video of it. Seems there is no such thing up on YouTube for very long hair atm.

Merlin
July 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM
We need a field guide....like for birds....

Night_Kitten
July 24th, 2015, 12:57 PM
A tutorial would be awesome Hypnotica :D That bun looks really cool...

LOL, so true Merlin :)

Hypnotica
July 24th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I grew a bit sappy when I discovered that The Bronze Jewelers still are doing there amazing hair spiral sticks. Used to have one - I may need to order one again!

Katyusha
July 24th, 2015, 01:43 PM
HA! I know you from youtube :D Great videos, but I wonder why did you stop making them? Subscribing right now :popcorn:

Hypnotica
July 24th, 2015, 01:56 PM
HA! I know you from youtube :D Great videos, but I wonder why did you stop making them? Subscribing right now :popcorn:

No inspiration, no time, too muxh work. Something like that.

Katyusha
July 24th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I totally understand. Well I'll be watching when you make new video. I am interested in what this bun is. But waist length probably won't be long enough.

Merlin
July 24th, 2015, 02:20 PM
With the permission of Hypnotica...

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/merlin_LHC/LHCFieldGuideFinal_zpszm42xlyx.jpg

Gamma Vector
July 24th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I would love a tutorial on this, as I can't get the photobucket video link to play (I'm running Ubuntu rather than Windows, so this is a thing that happens sometimes). I like the Pha Bun, but I don't like to wear vertical buns as much as horizontal ones, so I think I'd prefer this version.

Hypnotica
July 26th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Video is done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJCzbQTbjy0&feature=autoshare

meteor
July 26th, 2015, 02:16 PM
^ Hypnotica, that bun is amazing, both variations! :thumbsup: I guess it starts like the Pha Bun, but how do you get the wrapped length to stay without any additional pins? You seem to manipulate the wraps somehow so that they don't unravel... are there any tricks? :)

wilderwein
July 26th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Not just a great bun, but also great music *-*
By the way I tried braiding the tail of the second one before wraping the rest of the length. My thin ends don't make it look great but on thicker hair I bet it would look awsome!

Hypnotica
July 26th, 2015, 03:03 PM
^ Hypnotica, that bun is amazing, both variations! :thumbsup: I guess it starts like the Pha Bun, but how do you get the wrapped length to stay without any additional pins? You seem to manipulate the wraps somehow so that they don't unravel... are there any tricks? :)

They stay pretty good without anything but if I'm leaving the house, I do put in 2 pins just for the extra hold. the only manipulation I do is actually just tugging the wraps so they look softer.

meteor
July 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Hypnotica! :flowers: That's great to know! :)
And your videos are truly excellent! :thumbsup:

lunasea
July 26th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Thank you for this and ALL of your video's Hypnotica! You make the best, most clear tutorials. :thumbsup: I've learned so much from them it isn't even funny.

Night_Kitten
July 30th, 2015, 12:32 PM
A great video, that bun looks awesome :) I'll need to find some time and practice tomorrow... :)

Cowgirl16
July 30th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Nicely done Hypnotica!

ETA: I love the field guide Merlin!

Gamma Vector
July 30th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Ooo, thanks for the video! I got it to work on the first try! I always love how clear your videos are. Nice and to the point, no chit-chat, and a clear view of what you're doing with your hair. Absolutely perfect!

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 03:20 AM
Yes, love the videos as well. I would like to know, though, if a LWB is still possible at knee. Maybe that's an awesome new video idea. :) Or not, if LWBs are out at knee. ;)

Hypnotica
July 31st, 2015, 09:20 AM
Yes, love the videos as well. I would like to know, though, if a LWB is still possible at knee. Maybe that's an awesome new video idea. :) Or not, if LWBs are out at knee. ;)

It is possible to do it but I don't like how tight I need to do it to get it to stay. I could do a looser nicer version if I do it at the nape of the neck, but I don't like to do buns in that place at all.