PDA

View Full Version : Highlights too blond -- any way to correct it?

bandita
July 24th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I have light brown hair and I've been getting blonder highlights for about two years, mostly to mask some (minor) grays around my crown and temple. I like a super subtle look so it's not obvious when it grows out.

This latest time, a new hairdresser did the job, and it's just too much blond for me. It's a little brassy, and it's definitely going to be a problem when my roots grow out.

I don't think I'm willing to go back to the hair salon chair for the time and expense of toning this down a little. Are there are any solutions I could explore on my own?

I've considered getting a drugstore dye a couple shades darker and dying a few strands with it. I do realize that's a risky business. Any more foolproof or natural ideas?

MiamiPineapple
July 24th, 2015, 07:49 AM
You can buy toner at Sally Beauty supply that should make it a little darker. Its like $3 a bottle. I would try that first before a full blown dye.

lapushka
July 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM
I'd go back and have a bunch of low-lights put in. If you spent the money to get pro highlights, then don't mess them up.

bandita
July 24th, 2015, 10:45 AM
For a variety of reasons (some admittedly dumb) I don't want to go back to this salon. Ever. I'm going back to my normal hairdresser next time.

I like the idea of a toner, but are those safe waters for an amateur to dive into?

I've also read that violet-toned shampoo can help down things down.

Anje
July 24th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering if some amla might drab it down a bit. However, that'd be fairly temporary and it might be a bit too warm a tone for you, if it's already coming across as brassy.

Nightshade
July 24th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Amla might work :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_mmjXRZ1iDI/VVq_GaKVF0I/AAAAAAAANWg/DOMlewNpXoE/s800-Ic42/HerbalTestStrands1.jpg

I know a woman that I worked with to help develop a blend of cassia/senna, amla and walnut that she likes a lot for making her hair a deeper, muted blonde.