PDA

View Full Version : Edwardian Twist Bun tutorial!

jess_
July 23rd, 2015, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, I just uploaded my first tutorial to youtube. It's pretty simple and looks pretty when finished. My current hair length is almost hip length. Feel free to like and subscribe! And let me know what I can do differently to make my next video better please. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsN4DnCz9s

DancingGirl
July 23rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
Very cute :) I think there's a thread for new youtube videos. Found it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120673

jess_
July 23rd, 2015, 08:57 PM
yeah i saw it after i posted this but i can't delete it lol. oh well i suppose! i posted there too

Kaelbu
July 23rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
Very cute! If I had to suggest something to make the videos better, maybe better lighting or set up so we can see what you're doing a bit better? But honestly, I understood what was going on. Good video!

SaucyWench
July 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Nice tutorial!

Can I make a couple of suggestions for future videos?

Adjust the camera so that we can see the your entire head! For most of this, the top of your head is cut-off.

Wear a lighter (or, brighter) solid color shirt. Your lovely hair is dark and so is your shirt. A contrast makes for easier watching. I like that you have a plain background!!

Stand up. It's nice to see just how long your hair is, to see how easy this would be for someone with a different length.

When you turn around, it is difficult to see what you are doing.

Could I suggest a different type of background music? Go with something instrumental, rather than with vocals. And, if you're going to do more historical-era hair, maybe music for that era?

jess_
July 23rd, 2015, 09:12 PM
thanks for the feedback guys! we are about to close on a house so the lighting should be better next video. i will keep all of this in mind!

Merlin
July 24th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Nice video, I'd echo what the other folks said about lighting and framing though. If I was being uber-picky I'd also suggest that next time sit on something like a piano stool so you don't have the chair back in the way, and also sit further away from the background wall so you don't get the slightly distracting shadows. But really it's very good :-)

gossamer
July 24th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Edit, okay, I've just noticed something else, which may be verging on the TMI - while SaucyWench suggested a lighter coloured top you might want to, err, how can I put this, err, pick one with a slightly different fit, as, err...as more of your hair gets out of the way...err.. it does tend to make your...err...how can I put this....err...assets...somewhat more of a feature of the shot than perhaps you want... :o

Seriously?! If someone said this to me, I'd consider it way out of line.

Arctic
July 24th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Nice hair style!

I would also echo what other's have said. For future films, try to find a better lit place, frame your film better, and the office chair back was distracting.

With your dark hair is was difficult to see anything. I knew these styles in advance, so it was ok to follow you, but if you want to make a real tutorial for people who do not know how to do these different aspects of your style, you need to make sure details are visible. In the same vein, rotating your self so that we could see what you are actually doing would be helpful too.

I also found the music choice too chaotic, I would have liked something more calm.

If you played music at the backgroud (as oppostion of the music being a separate soundtrack added on the video), that can be a bit of a problem with Youtube. You know, for copyright issues. They (Youtube) might ask you to remove the music, and if you played it on the background while you filmed, that might be difficult. You will either have to edit your video by removing all sound (including your speech), and do a voice over, or delete the whole video and make a new one. I know it's possible to remove sound with Youtube's online editor, but not sure if voice over are possible to do with it, so you might have to end up deleting your video anyway.

Better option is, in the future, to add a soundtrack if you think you need music in the first place, and make sure it's free to use and under Creative Commons Licensing system (not copyrighted).

PS. It's possible to make your film better lit digitally (with video editing programs), but that often leads to some quality loss if I have understood correctly.

Merlin
July 24th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Really? I wouldn't if somebody made an equivalent comment on a video I made. I'd just go back and look and decide if I agreed or not. But obviously no offence intended and I'll delete the comment forwith!

brunette
July 24th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Nothing wrong with Merlin's comments! Don't delete, I thought the OP wanted constructive comments and yours were, I'll watch the video when I get home, sounds good from what everyone has said!

Arctic
July 24th, 2015, 08:43 AM
As for Merlin's feedback, I understand both sides.

On the other hand the film was framed so, that the "assets" were quite up and front at times.
On the other hand, one can't really put them away for convenience, you know. She is also dressed appropriately.

jess_
July 24th, 2015, 08:14 PM
thanks for all of the input everyone. i have a large chest so i understand that it will stand out no matter what. the angle of my camera was a little lower than i should have had it but it was too late by the time i realized it.

as for the music, i read remixes are a good way to be able to use the music you want without the copyright infringement, which is what i did.

chen bao jun
July 24th, 2015, 08:34 PM
I think you are doing great. I would add, to the comments, that you mutter sometimes, be sure to always talk into the microphone. and do not do that thing where you say excuse me a minute and get up to get something--edit it out.

cat11
July 25th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Yeah me too her assets have nothing to di with the vid and I didn't even notice them

PixieP
July 25th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I agree with the feedback you got here when it comes to lightning, the chair, the music and so. You're on the right track though!

For me personally, I prefer to view tutorials without sound, as I usually play my own music. So I might suggest learning an editing program, so you can also add text instructions. For me at least, that's how I will view a video. If it isn't self-explanatory or doesn't have text, I won't bother seeing it. But that's me, and I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that disagree XD

DeadlyUnicorn
July 25th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Yeah me too her assets have nothing to di with the vid and I didn't even notice them

Not wanting to start some kind of chain reaction argument, or have anyone ganged up on or anything weird like that(cause they did edit it out of their original post), but I have to agree. There wasn't even any cleavage. How is she supposed to hide that lol :confused:

Anyways, lovely video :) I have to agree with most of the things mentioned already. I think when you have darker hair it's just a bit tougher to do hair tutorials in general, even with more light. Maybe you can get a little lamp to sit in front of you :)