PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Hair Suggestions

Odile
July 23rd, 2015, 01:31 PM
Hi all!

Going on my first huge proper vacation in years, since I started growing out my hair. I'll be going to Walt Disney World for a week in September!! (First trip there ever!!):D Anyhow, I'd like suggestions for simple, easy vacation styles. I know I could wear my hair in a ponytail all week, but that sounds, well, boring. I normally bun my hair with a stick or Ficcare or EZBun holders, but since I'm going on rides and things I'm not sure I want a knot in the back of my head. I also have a fear of a stick flying out of my bun in the middle of a roller coaster too...

Since it's still going to be pretty hot there in September, I want some sort of updo. I don't really want my hair down all day to get tangled and things. Although I probably might take it down for a pic with Rapunzel :) (gotta compare!)

Suggestions? Tips? Thanks y'all!

neko_kawaii
July 23rd, 2015, 01:34 PM
Interlaced braids (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131436).

Sarahlabyrinth
July 23rd, 2015, 01:37 PM
For the roller coaster I would suggest a braid pinned in a flattened spiral on the back of your head. It should be immoveable and comfortable no matter how much you are tossed around.

Lady Mary
July 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
Sadly, the best option is a pony tail sticking though a hat. Or a bucket style hat with one of those straps and a braid. The sun there is absolutely brutal in September. I highly recommend a hat.

Radioduck
July 23rd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Milkmaid braids? Or something similar?

Nique1202
July 23rd, 2015, 01:58 PM
I second the milkmaid/heidi braids (twin braids pinned across the top of your head, like a hairband). I use two spin pins (one at the end of each braid/above each ear, twisted upward into scalp hair and both braids) to secure mine, and I've had them stay in place and looking nice for 3 straight days without even re-pinning them. It's also pretty quick to take down that way (just two screws and your braid fastener, instead of a bunch of pins) when you want to meet Rapunzel.

meteor
July 23rd, 2015, 04:02 PM
I'd recommend simplified Ellingwoman braided bun, because it's super-sturdy and easy.

Or, pretty much any braided updo - braided styles tend to hold better and if they do slip, you still have the braid(s) that you can pin back up in a second. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 23rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
Paranda braided bun is very secure. Use U pins to secure the ends.

FoxyGhost
July 23rd, 2015, 07:01 PM
I wear a side braid most days at Disney. If you can manage a crown braid or something like hair taping that would probably be best but might be time consuming in the morning. I usually get up early and hit the parks by opening.

I will also be there the first week of September for my 10th visit. If you have any Walt Disney World specific questions feel free to pm me. You choose a good time to go because it is one of the slowest times of the year.

lapushka
July 24th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Sadly, the best option is a pony tail sticking though a hat. Or a bucket style hat with one of those straps and a braid. The sun there is absolutely brutal in September. I highly recommend a hat.

Yes, this. ^^ And a French braid, or 2.

Odile
August 2nd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Yeah, hat/pony or hat/braid was pretty much what I'd figured. Thanks for the advice, y'all have been great.

Although ironically I checked the last few years on weather underground for that week in September...the past three or four years Orlando's been rainy those days! :P But that's why you take a poncho!

Pumpkin3826
December 27th, 2017, 08:14 AM
My go to vacation hair is probably a baseball cap to block out the sun with a pony tail through the hole in the back, then I braid the pony tail. No one likes to comb out a messy wind blown pony tail while they are on vacation. Lol. Well at least I don't. I always feel like I can concur the world in this hair style and that it will not ever come out! :p