PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C hair lightening?

parkmikii
July 23rd, 2015, 09:29 AM
Hello! I'd like to try to lighten my henna a little with vitamin c. I know that the main recipe requires crushed vitamin c and shampoo, but as it sounds a little drying I was thinking if it can have any results used in my pre wash mix. My pre wash mix is made of conditioner, a little bit of water and coconut oil. Would this give me any results or I should just go with the original recipe with shampoo and deep condition after?

endlessly
July 23rd, 2015, 10:39 AM
I've only ever tried it mixed with shampoo and yes, it can be incredibly drying, which is probably why I only ever attempted it once! You can most certainly try it just to see as I don't believe it should cause any damage, but the results might not be what you're expecting. For me, I didn't have great results when I did mix it with shampoo - granted, my attempt was to lighten hair dye that was too dark - so the dryness wasn't worth the end result, but give it a try and see what happens.

akuamoonmaui
July 23rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
I've been using citric acid via Crystal Light to remove my indigo. Don't let anyone tell you indigo isn't dangerous!!!!! Here's my backstory (hope it's not a hijack - just trying to share an experience someone else may be going through.....) I was using henna/indigo glosses and loving them. Then. Used a different company, same name. I didn't look at the indigo content. I didn't strand test. I take total responsibility for what happened next.

Rinsed it out and :agape: my beautiful reddish, brown hair was now dark, dark, brown and just to add insult to injury, it had greenish-blue in it. :disgust: SO. one year and 3 months later with some fading of the indigo, I read about using citric acid - this woman just mixed hers with water.

I used one packet/1 cup V05 conditioner, left it in for an hour. I could see a difference but it was not significant. Then I noticed where I'd oiled my ends over the course of the year, the indigo was almost all removed. So with the idea that the oil released some of the indigo, I then tried 2 packets to 1 cup melted coconut oil. Left that in for an hour. A bigger difference, but not completely removed, however the ends were almost indigo free. The only thing I didn't care for was although the packets were well mixed, the particles kept falling to the bottom of the bowl. The third application was 2 packets, 3/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 c VO5 as a suspension agent. THAT worked beautifully and the indigo is slowly releasing. I am anticipating probably 3-5 more applications to get my color back the way I like it.

I haven't had any drying, but I think the coconut oil/conditioner helped with that.

Hope that helps!!
~ A.

parkmikii
July 23rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
I've been using citric acid via Crystal Light to remove my indigo. Don't let anyone tell you indigo isn't dangerous!!!!! Here's my backstory (hope it's not a hijack - just trying to share an experience someone else may be going through.....) I was using henna/indigo glosses and loving them. Then. Used a different company, same name. I didn't look at the indigo content. I didn't strand test. I take total responsibility for what happened next.

Rinsed it out and :agape: my beautiful reddish, brown hair was now dark, dark, brown and just to add insult to injury, it had greenish-blue in it. :disgust: SO. one year and 3 months later with some fading of the indigo, I read about using citric acid - this woman just mixed hers with water.

I used one packet/1 cup V05 conditioner, left it in for an hour. I could see a difference but it was not significant. Then I noticed where I'd oiled my ends over the course of the year, the indigo was almost all removed. So with the idea that the oil released some of the indigo, I then tried 2 packets to 1 cup melted coconut oil. Left that in for an hour. A bigger difference, but not completely removed, however the ends were almost indigo free. The only thing I didn't care for was although the packets were well mixed, the particles kept falling to the bottom of the bowl. The third application was 2 packets, 3/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 c VO5 as a suspension agent. THAT worked beautifully and the indigo is slowly releasing. I am anticipating probably 3-5 more applications to get my color back the way I like it.

I haven't had any drying, but I think the coconut oil/conditioner helped with that.

Hope that helps!!
~ A.

Thank you so much! I'm glad to know that that mixture wasn't drying at all. I was scared to try it because of the dryness as my hair is naturally a bit dry.
I might try it tomorrow with my pre poo and see if I'll get any results.

kmarie99
July 23rd, 2015, 07:55 PM
Vitamin C + shampoo is very drying I found. It didn't damage my hair but I definitely had to deep condition it to get it feeling normal.