PDA

View Full Version : Is Having a Widow's Peak Positive or Negative Thing??

M.McDonough
July 22nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Do you have a widow's peak?
I personally don't have one, but I see a lot of people/celebrities have it.
What do you think?

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2015, 07:39 PM
I totally have one. It brings out my inner vampire.

gthlvrmx
July 22nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
It's all in the eye of the beholder. A matter of opinion down on an individual level, some might like it, some might not. I don't have a widow's peak but I think widow's peak look cool.

DeadlyUnicorn
July 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM
I seem to have developed a very tiny one.. I wouldn't really call it a widow's peak because it's so subtle but it's there I guess. I think widow's peaks look neat :)

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2015, 07:52 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img913/9342/eOv22o.jpg
Reposted with permission from our meetup thread, here is me on the right.
Missrandie on the left seems to have one kicking too.

I must be a vampire hybrid because it's light outside there in the pic.

Now that I have outed myself (and Missrandie too, poor thing), nobody better talk crap about widow's peaks or I'll come bite them on the neck.

Lady Mary
July 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
I have one. I kind of wish I didn't because it made having fringe harder, which is one of the reasons I am growing my bangs out. I guess it is what it is.

woodswanderer
July 22nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
I would say it's neutral to me. I don't have one.

AZDesertRose
July 22nd, 2015, 08:22 PM
I'd call it a neutral thing too. It's a genetic trait, if I'm recalling my ninth grade biology class correctly.

I don't have one, although I sort of look like I do right now because there's a wispie coiling into a spiral (gee thanks, Florida humidity, LOL) right where a widow's peak would be if I had one. :D

neko_kawaii
July 22nd, 2015, 08:46 PM
Woo hoo, I'm a celebrity!

kidso
July 22nd, 2015, 08:51 PM
I'd call it a neutral thing too. It's a genetic trait, if I'm recalling my ninth grade biology class correctly.

You are correct! A widow's peak is a genetic trait controlled by complete dominance. Thus, if you possess a single dominant allele for that trait, you will have it. The only way to not have a widow's peak is to be homozygous recessive for that trait. (I teach

kidso
July 22nd, 2015, 08:55 PM

I'm impressed by your stellar memory! A widow's peak is a genetic characteristic that is subject to Mendelian genetics. It is a trait controlled by complete dominance. Thus, if you have one dominant allele for this characteristic, you will have a widow's peak. The only way not to have it, is to homozygous recessive for this trait. (I teach 10th grade biology).

kidso
July 22nd, 2015, 08:56 PM
...biology in the 10th grade.

HintOfMint
July 22nd, 2015, 08:59 PM
I wish mine were a little more pronounced, so I would generally view it as a positive. I do have problems having bangs though, as much as I like them. Yay, cowlicks...:bull:

chen bao jun
July 22nd, 2015, 09:12 PM
I've got one. I won't show a photo because I won't show my face, but if I did you wouldn't see it, because I've worn bangs since I was about 7. Not to hide the peak--I burned some of my hair off in a cooking accident back then and bangs were the only solution and I guess I got used to them?

Its an obvious one, though if I pull my hair back.

I have one and my maternal grandmother had one and we are the only ones I can think of offhand in my whole (very large) family).

whether they are positive, negative or neutral depends on where you are. Once in a while I've heard negative remarks about them in the US, but usually not very serious ones. In grade school I did used to hear people say that they meant your husband would die early. Hopefully not, he's fine at the moment. also some people would say that they were witch or vampire like, because such beings are depicted often with them in movies, I guess. Keep in mind that they couldn't have been insulting me, since my bangs hide mine. ON the other hand, when I was in Taiwan (as Gossamer remembers) I learned that a widow's peak is called a 'meirenjiao' there and is the mark of a beautiful woman. You are automatically considered to be a beauty if you have one in traditional Chinese culture. People were stunned to find out that I had one and wasn't flaunting it.

I don't know if that's true anymore, since this was 1980 and the traditional chinese ideas of beauty have been totally swamped and overrun by Western culture in the movies, magazines and other popular culture that have filled the country. People actually lighten their hair in China now as well as get tanned. Both unthinkable when I was there. So maybe they now don't like widows peaks anymore either.

I do like their traditional ideas on this subject, though. And I wonder if other cultures out there find widows peaks seriously attractive.

missrandie
July 22nd, 2015, 09:15 PM
Lol note my peak in Wildcat Diva's picture. I have actually always had bangs and fought against it, but I now embrace my off center peaky thing ☺

TaterTot
July 22nd, 2015, 09:17 PM
I have one! I call it a widows peep.
I never do a side part because I look like I have an uneven receding hairline.
I dig my peep though.

hannabiss
July 22nd, 2015, 09:46 PM
I have a very pronouned v shaped hair line...it looks almost like the beginning of a man balding...but nope it's just my crazy hairline. I hate it. High fore heads are very beautiful it me. I don't mind my high forehead but the ways the sides go back further...and further...and further. AURGH hate it.

mamaherrera
July 22nd, 2015, 09:55 PM
I have a very pronouned v shaped hair line...it looks almost like the beginning of a man balding...but nope it's just my crazy hairline. I hate it. High fore heads are very beautiful it me. I don't mind my high forehead but the ways the sides go back further...and further...and further. AURGH hate it.

This is so me. it bothers me when I see it. But I have bangs!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 23rd, 2015, 01:40 AM
I have a small one and find it useful for claiming an extra eighth of an inch hair length:p

restless
July 23rd, 2015, 01:59 AM
I honestly cant recall anyone who has a widows peak even though Im sure I must have seen/met plenty of them by now. I guess I just dont think about them or care for them. So, to me its not a positve thing, nor is it a negative thing. Its just a minor detail and it passes me by unnoticed until pointed out.

YvetteVarie
July 23rd, 2015, 02:59 AM
In my culture anyone who has a widow's peak is considered to like members of the opposite sex a lot. Which would be a negative traditionally in women.

But these days, no one really cares whether you have one or not.

Crystawni
July 23rd, 2015, 04:17 AM
I have a small one and find it useful for claiming an extra eighth of an inch hair length:p

Haha, yup! It gives me a pretty reliable spot to measure from, too. I also have cowlicks and wurls, so don't have much luck with shorter hair over the forehead.

Arctic
July 23rd, 2015, 04:51 AM
I have a small one. It's so small and thin it hardly can be called a widow's peak, the hairs are all 1 cm long baby hairs that never grow longer.

I don't think they are generally positive or negative. Like in everything, some hairlines with widowpeak look nice and attractive, some straight hairlines look nice and attractive. Some hairlines, with peaks or not, are not so great looking. But even then, they are not bad, or negative, that's just how in life and human bodies things are. I find it's more about the whole package, than about the hairline.

In my country they don't have a specific name that I know of, and certainly not any assosiation to early widowhood. I find the Hollywood stereotyping of widows peaks also interesting, they often are sported by the bad guys. :)

Upside Down
July 23rd, 2015, 04:53 AM
I don't have one but I think it looks cool on vampires that do!

lapis_lazuli
July 23rd, 2015, 06:51 AM
I don't have it, but my sister has one! She'd actually never noticed until I pointed it out to her :p
Whether it's positive or negative all depends on who you're asking. Like everything in this world, it is relative.

HairPlease
July 23rd, 2015, 07:10 AM
I've always associated widow's peaks with vampires. A lot of culture that I've seen in America has portrayed such characters with widow's peaks (goofy, right?). But in normal context they're not a problem whatsoever Ok, maybe this whole thing sounds a little dark, but it's what my subconscious pops out. I personally, outside of that, think they're much prettier on women then good looking on guys. (Opinion) :agape:

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
I have one! So are we starting a celebrity vampire club or what?

Eastbound&Down
July 23rd, 2015, 07:49 AM
I have one and never really thought about it until a while back when a coworker told me I should pluck or shave it because it wold make my hairline look better.. I think k I posted about it because I thought it was so rude (she was brand new and didn't even know my first name) and I didn't know that was a thing people actually did.

luxurioushair
July 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
I never even noticed those until I read this thread and googled it.

neko_kawaii
July 23rd, 2015, 07:59 AM

I vant tooo suck your. . .

No scratch that.

I vant tooo steal your deep treatments!

afinemess
July 23rd, 2015, 08:26 AM
I have one and for me, it makes parting my hair a bit annoying. Middle part has to be in the EXACT middle of the v or else it looks weird. Side parts don't work because the hair trying to go across the v likes to stick up and look like an ocean wave. :(

JustPam
July 23rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
I think they look awesome, especially with quiffs, I don't have one but I wish I did, maybe my face would look less round!

Kherome
July 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM
It's just hair. It's neutral.

Lady Mary
July 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM

Yes! I'm in :) haha

Wildcat Diva
July 23rd, 2015, 08:42 AM
We totally need to start a social group on here.

While waiting at the eye doctor's I got a chance to snap a pic of evidence that I'm passing on those dominant genes.
Here is babyDiva. (DS11 or some of you are familiar with him already, Jake).
He doesn't know anything about the widow's peak=celebrity part, yet he said:
"I just got famous on Long Hair Community."
http://imageshack.us/a/img661/6331/agtDtC.jpg

neko_kawaii
July 23rd, 2015, 08:43 AM
Did you tell him he is also a vampire?

henné
July 23rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
I have a bit of a widow's peak ... I've always disliked it when I was younger (and dumber), but now I just couldn't care less ...

And to answer your question - it's none. It's positive for those that like it, negative that for some reason don't and totally neutral for those who couldn't give a flying frog about it :D

Wildcat Diva
July 23rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Did you tell him he is also a vampire?
He's good with that. He wears shades all the time anyway so it's a cool look.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
I have a small one. You either have this or you don't. Can't mess with nature. Well, you could always shave it if you don't like it, but... personally, I wouldn't mess with a good thing. ;)

slynr
July 23rd, 2015, 09:01 AM
I'm a widows peaker! I have to like it because there isn't anything I can do about it anyway. I'm into acceptance nowdays.

rosey4exclaim
July 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
I don't think it's a positive or a negative thing. It's genetic. It's like having an attached or detached ear lobe (obviously thinking back to high school biology here). I don't think something you're born with should ever be considered positive or negative; it just is. (Okay, obvious exceptions are things that affect your health, like type I diabetes or a hole in the heart, but you get my drift.)

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM
I vant tooo suck your. . .

No scratch that.

I vant tooo steal your deep treatments!

Hahahhahahahah XDDDD Says the lady with twisty wooden stakes O_O

Arctic
July 23rd, 2015, 09:30 AM
My very small widow's peak doesn't have cowlick, and it's small enough to allow me to part my hair in which ever way I like.

missblueeyes
July 23rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
I have a slight one and I actually like it. It gives my face a little more shape when I wear it in a bun. :) I wonder if it will deepen a little as I get older. My mom has one, too, but hers is much more noticeable.

Theobroma
July 23rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
I've got one. I have no strong feelings one way or another about widow's peaks, but what annoys me slightly about mine is that the hairs right there grow out of my scalp leaning very sharply to the right. Which means that if I do a centre part my entire hairline looks lopsided. :(

I've been combing it all straight back from my forehead for so long that my hair now stays that way even when I wear it down. It's long enough these days that it gets everywhere... but it's never in my face!

neko_kawaii
July 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Hahahhahahahah XDDDD Says the lady with twisty wooden stakes O_O

We all have our little quirks. You didn't notice that I also snitched some of your stakes while I was stealing your DTs. *raspberries*

alexis917
July 23rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
No, but I kind of wish I did! My forehead is a perfect arch. Like someone traced a protractor to determine my hairline.... I think it makes my forehead look huge! I might get a fringe to cover it, once I have more length. Right now I would end up looking even more like Velma, from Scooby Doo.

Mustang Suzy
July 23rd, 2015, 10:31 AM
Here is my widow's peak. It's off center. Since I began oiling I've had some new hair growth along the peak line.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9573&d=1394021237

Radioduck
July 23rd, 2015, 11:28 AM
I have no idea if my hairline counts as a widow's peak, or if it's just weird. On my left side, the hair starts about 1 cm above the right side. The left side is straight, the right is a barely noticeable arch. Don't know if the explaination makes any sense, but it looks weird.

I think "real" widow's peaks look super cute.

chen bao jun
July 23rd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Just remembered that two of my three sons actually have widows peaks. But the barber automatically shaves them off whenever they get a haircut. I don't know if this is routine, for barbers to do this? My sons have never asked for this, to my knowledge. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed other family members with them--shaved off, or (like me) bangs?

I have always parted my hair, when I part it, to either the right or left side (and still have had bangs with a parting) so I don't know if it would be troublesome to try to part in the centre. I'm actually not sure what a cowlick is, so don't know if I have one or not.

Bangs have always been useful to me, I think, in taking some of my thick hair out of the way. Everybody that reads my posts knows how I've spent a lifetime fighting the fact I have thick and poofy hair, before LHC anyway. I did orginally get them because of the hair burned off thing, but I think I soon figured out, you take a big chunk, make bangs out of it and there is that much less hair to deal with sticking out in all directions, because bangs are easier to control, at least I've always found so.

On the other hand, maybe I secretly hate my widows peak and in some major kind of denial.

AZDesertRose
July 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM
I'm impressed by your stellar memory! A widow's peak is a genetic characteristic that is subject to Mendelian genetics. It is a trait controlled by complete dominance. Thus, if you have one dominant allele for this characteristic, you will have a widow's peak. The only way not to have it, is to homozygous recessive for this trait. (I teach 10th grade biology).

Why thank you!

We had to do an in-class project when we hit the Mendelian genetics section of the course, wherein we were paired up in male-female couples (insofar as that was possible; there were a few female-female couples because there were more girls in the class than boys), and we had to detail a list of obvious traits and work out how a child of the two students might look. That project might be why I happened to recall that little bit of information twenty-five years after the ninth grade, LOL.

hinabelle
July 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
I love widow's peaks and I love my widow's peak :o

Cirafly24
July 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
I have one, and I suppose I like it, although as others have said it does make bangs and side parts interesting. After having each of my kids, I had a huge shed about 4 months postpartum. Both times, I lost a large amount of hair on either side of my widows peak, making it much more prominent. Both times it all grew back, which is great, but for a while I had horns because of all the new growth in those two spots.

NitaB
July 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM
I love widow's peaks! DBF has one and I love when he pushes his hair back and shows it off. I don't have one though, it would probably look funny. All hairlines are great

Chromis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:07 PM
I have to admit, I never knew what they were until this thread! Hadn't had occasion to look the term up, although I have heard it before. Crappy name for a perfectly nice hairline if you ask me.

YvetteVarie
July 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I actually forgot to say earlier I like my widows peak. It is slightly annoying when I want to do a centre part, but its a great way to relieve the monotony of my gigantic forehead :)

MINAKO
July 24th, 2015, 03:53 AM
I plucked it. Can't deal with that thing along with my face shape, just doesnt look right to me. Tweezerman knows best, haha.

jess_
July 24th, 2015, 05:22 AM
It's definitely positive - why in the world would it be negative? It's cool :cool:

Wildcat Diva
July 24th, 2015, 05:58 AM
I tried to stealthily examine my husband's forehead hairline from afar this evening.
Him: "what ARE you doing?
(I guess I'm not that stealthy) me: "I guess you don't have a cool widow' peak."
Him *making a face*: "why would I want that?"
Me: "are you saying my hairline is ugly?"
Him: "NO."

11 year old son Jake pipes up: "oh yeah, and apparently, I'm a vampire."

M.McDonough
July 24th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I tried to stealthily examine my husband's forehead hairline from afar this evening.
Him: "what ARE you doing?
(I guess I'm not that stealthy) me: "I guess you don't have a cool widow' peak."
Him *making a face*: "why would I want that?"
Me: "are you saying my hairline is ugly?"
Him: "NO."

11 year old son Jake pipes up: "oh yeah, and apparently, I'm a vampire."

That's a nice story ! :)

chen bao jun
July 24th, 2015, 07:47 PM
I am honestly confused. I understand about the centre parts but how does a widows peak interfere with bangs? I' have never had a problem with this.

Magalo
July 24th, 2015, 07:55 PM
I had bangs for the last 10 years (I'm 22!) so I never thought about that, but now that I'm growing them out I noticed I have a small one. It's almost invisible (the hair there are very fine) so I draw it in with eyeshadow. I love it. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 24th, 2015, 08:32 PM
I wonder why a widow's peak has to be either a positive or a negative thing? Surely it's something that's just - there. Or not...

Wildcat Diva
July 24th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I guess it can be something along the lines of do you love it or hate it or don't care. Maybe that is what was meant.

Dessi
July 24th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I definitely have one. Used to hate it, but now I don't really care.
http://s29.postimg.org/fsne1nvjb/image.png

Deborah
July 24th, 2015, 10:52 PM
:shrug: I think most people are pretty neutral about it. It's like having a fuller or a more narrow face. They are both fine, and you get what you get.

Wildcat Diva
July 24th, 2015, 10:57 PM
I definitely have one. Used to hate it, but now I don't really care.
http://s29.postimg.org/fsne1nvjb/image.png

I like it that it makes your face look like a heart.

Arctic
July 25th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I am honestly confused. I understand about the centre parts but how does a widows peak interfere with bangs? I' have never had a problem with this.

People often have cowlick there, at the widow's peak, or near it, at the front hairline. This would make the bangs not lie down but stick up in the direction of the cowlick.

lilin
July 25th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I think they look cool. :) I don't have one though.

cat11
July 25th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I have one and I like it. I do have a cowlick in the front but it never stopped me from having straight across bangs for years anyway. Blowdryer for one sec works magic, even just a circle brush alone on slightly damp hair nd your done.

I always thought it was positive on others too, unless it's really intense like a vampire