PDA

View Full Version : Can my hair do this?!

Maurelle
July 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
Does anyone think this hairstyle can work on thick, BCL hair? It's the chosen style for all of the bridesmaids in a wedding I'm to be in. I'm worried this won't work on me. I have long fringe that will accommodate the front/top bit. Just to give an example of how thick my hair is, I've almost outgrown my mega sized flexi 8 when I bun my hair. :taz:
https://wwcdn.weddingwire.com/wedding/340001_345000/341435/thumbnails/400x400_1299089491524-updo2.jpg

rosey4exclaim
July 22nd, 2015, 10:45 AM
Is a stylist going to be doing everyone's hair at the wedding, or are you expected to do it yourself? If it's a stylist, they'll probably be able to figure out a way to work with it. Maybe have whoever is in contact with the stylist inform them ahead of time, so they won't have to figure it out the day of. If you're doing your own hair, do a bunch of practice runs, and if you have to compromise part of the style, send a picture to the bride and let her know/ask for advice. Unless she's a total bridezilla, she'll probably be pretty accommodating, as long as your hair looks pretty similar to the other bridesmaids.

Maurelle
July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
It's a friend of the bride. I believe she's a licensed stylist, but I've had professionals fail horribly on formal styles on me. Most of them just don 't know what to do with all this hair. I think it's a bit intimidating.

rosey4exclaim
July 22nd, 2015, 11:00 AM
Then I'd definitely let her know beforehand and possibly even meet up with her before the wedding to play with it a bit. I'm sure long hair would be pretty intimidating to stylists only used to working with short to medium length hair.

KittyBird
July 22nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
I think it could work, but I agree with the other posters, it would be a good idea to let the stylist practise it on your hair a few times. It's a very pretty style, and I hope you'll post pics of the updo. :)

Arctic
July 22nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
I foresee that it will be quite heavy, yours might protruce (spell?) much more than the one pictured, and it might feel unbalanced, and will rub the neck uncomfortably to boot, if you are sensitive to that (I can never wear updos that touch my neck, they drive me crazy). I hope you'll get it work.

I'm curious, is it common where you live that bride's maids have their look decided (I assume since hair style is given, also outfits are)? I find it controlling, as everyone has different bodies/hair type and length, facial features, colouring, etc. I have seen this custom in American movies :)

If this look would not work with your hair what then? Are you kicked out of the position? Demanded to cut your hair?

It would make sense that the hair stylist would make a hair style based on your hair stats, that would follow the "spirit" of the model photo. You know, capture the essence of that look, but in a way that suits your long and thick hair.

Madame J
July 22nd, 2015, 11:30 AM
Another thing someone (maid of honor? mother?) might want to do is to gently remind the bride that no matter what the stylist does, there's slim-to-no chance that all her bridesmaids will actually have hair that looks the same. Even not taking length into account, different textures will take to this style differently. Personally, I can't do messy, piece-y, wavy styles like this because my hair is sleek and straight and falls a bit like a solid curtain. As long as the bride understands that you're not all going to look exactly like the picture, there's enough wiggle room to do something inspired by this style, but tailored to your unique head of hair. Since it's unlikely you'd be able to get in with the stylist before the big day without paying them out of your own pocket, maybe plan on getting styled first so there's time to screw it up at first?

MidnightMoon
July 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
My guess is yes, considering your hair is wavy/curly, that helps hair stay in its place, be less slippery, and despite the weight it can be held up easier.
Perhaps it can be twisted or braided (since on thick hair this reduces the length quite a bit), and turned into some sort of bun and use the ends for the loose part.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
Torrin paige just posted an updo that looks quite similar. I'll link it below. It's a gibson tuck on looong hair, but from the side it looks similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR74D9hEUVI

meteor
July 22nd, 2015, 05:54 PM
I think you can do this, depending on your skill level or the skill level of the hairstylist. Ask in advance if the hairstylist knows how to work with very long hair. Many of them just aren't that experienced in long hair... if so, it's going to be a perfect DIY project. ;)

I'd approach it this way:
1) curl hair overnight (using soft rollers, for example); judging by the photo, quite a lot of gel/mousse/other styling product was used to create those piece-y wurls/curls at the roots;
2) section hair in 2 sections (one on top of the other);
3) make a loose bun at the nape - I'd use a chignon technique (e.g. this by torrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPhqSDUtuA) or Gibson tuck technique (e.g. this by torrin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR74D9hEUVI);
4) use the hair from the top to lay it over the bun in twists/curls made around fingers and pin it with U-pins around the base bun, paying attention to how it looks - check in the mirror as you are pinning this section, because this top section is going to be responsible for the whole "look".
Also, if you need to create root volume, avoid teasing/backcombing (it's damaging), but go for hair powders/sprays or bump-its/"hair rats" or something hair-friendly like that instead. :)

Best of luck! :D And I hope you have a lot of fun at the wedding! :toast:

HintOfMint
July 24th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I've done rough approximations of that style and I have close to BCL hair that is thick and wavy. Really, anything is possible with enough hairspray and bobby pins. Brace yourself, there will be thousands.

Night_Kitten
July 25th, 2015, 04:22 AM
It's a pretty style, and I think it is possible (though your version will probably be bigger than the one in the pic due to the "extra" hair) :)

I second meteor's idea about sectioning the hair into top and bottom, bunning the bottom and creating the style using the top part - the stylist will probably find it easier to work only part of your hair into the "right" look... And talking to her in advance would probably help too, she'll probably appreciate the option to plan ahead or even practice in advance rather than having to figure things out "in real time" while under pressure to fix everyone's hair in time for the big event...