PDA

View Full Version : Big Chop ... Take 2

CatsAndCoffee
July 20th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Well ... I did it. I decided to chop off all the damaged, bleach-wrecked hair. It's about an inch below my chin.
I'm still kind of adjusting. Luckily, short hair does suit me (maybe more than long hair, technically). I guess I just didn't realise how long my hair had really gotten until I saw 7-8" of it on the floor. It's a shock to be this short again, but it does look pretty good.

My mom said it's flattering -- although she has a noted preference for short hair, and encouraged an even bigger chop a few months back. So far, two friends have said they like it, but they might just be being nice. :p
My husband hasn't seen it yet ... I told him yesterday night I was getting a "trim" ... I didn't have a chance to talk to him this morning. Maybe he'll be happy he can get his fingers through it without me yelping in pain?

I don't think this post has a point ... :shrug:

Anyone else recently chop off damage?

Neelie
July 20th, 2015, 07:22 AM
i did a big chop recently too and deeply regret it. went from waist length to basically trimmed to 2cm... :( it was half the hairdresser's fault and misunderstanding as well as a bad decision from my side ha. generally i LOVE cutting/trimming off damage :) it makes hair feel super smooth and its always good to get healthy ends again :) you'll rediscover your love for your hair when they grow back totally natural and healthy!

Horrorpops
July 20th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Me!! Today I removed the last of my sad bleached ends (like you! :) ) taking my hair from nearly waist back to between APL and BSL. Not as large a chop as you, but how good do your ends feel?! Mine feel amazing and I am so glad I did this! I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some haha :p Its still strange seeing no blonde, all brunette now - that'll take some getting used to.

I am sure your hair looks awesome, chin length is often a gorgeous and flattering length - I loved my hair at that length!

ETA: I am on holiday so my SO has not seen my new cut either, I am sure yours will love it! Guys like healthy, soft hair that (like you said) they can run their fingers through without hurting you!

Kaelbu
July 20th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I had a trim a few months ago, in Feb or March. I went from waist+ back to the very top of BSL (I joined LHC about an inch longer than that, so I felt like I had all my progress taken from me). I realize this isn't as big a trim as what you got, but I can definitely sympathize. I really like short styles and super long styles, but I'm not a fan of the in between (on myself). I'm almost a solid waist-length again, which took a lot less time (6-7 months last time vs. 4-5 this time)! Maybe it's the healthier end not breaking! I hope yours grows more quickly now, too (if that's what you want)! :)

CatsAndCoffee
July 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM
Hey, everyone! First off, thanks so much for your replies. Secondly, sorry it took me so long to reply. We are having record-breaking heat here in Italy, so I've had the computer off in order to use the AC (have I mentioned how much I just love Italian power?). Anyway, my husband spoiled me and got a giant fan, so I can turn the AC down enough that running lights and the computer doesn't blow our power. Yay!

I'm slowly getting more and more used to it. Mostly, it's just weird to feel the blunt ends brushing the back of my neck like that. Like Horrorpops said, it's an adjustment, but my ends feel amazing. It's so awesome to pull some strands forward and see no splits or breaks whatsoever. Obviously, I'll have to do some work to keep it that way, but it is such a great feeling to have healthy hair again.
Here it is:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f2ce669768&view=fimg&th=14eb5bdf55c952a8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ8fTqen4yF6tAkEbjsgv5aC5IsiRKVzjbx6znq OMBI-lKXmJZ1iGbZXpXvVD6NOGyk0HDKxcQQIvq0h6DPwI68lgdhCsb acjXunnB-AJv8nozkvJtCMtMcj0-U&ats=1437568225617&rm=14eb5bdf55c952a8&zw&sz=w1342-h547

My head's tilted weird, so it looks longer and more angled, but it's about an inch below chin, and straight from back to front (a bit matronly, maybe? I might just be trying to find things not to like :P) I'll post a face-on picture if I can ever stop sweating.

My husband's reaction was surprisingly positive. I knew he wouldn't hate it or be upset, but he actually really likes it. I think he just enjoys being able to play with it again. Before the bleach, he'd play with it and braid it all the time, but after, it would stretch, snap, tangle, or pull every time he touched it, so it's been pretty much look-don't-touch since.

I know all of you pointed out that it wasn't as big of a chop, but I think it's honestly the same. When you get used to a length (feeling the ends brush your bra strap, waist, butt, knees, wherever!) and then having it go to a whole different length classification is a huge change, regardless of where the final results end up.

flickm
July 22nd, 2015, 07:23 AM
Yes, mid back to shoulders in April. Regret it as I could have nursed the damage, and now have to wait for it to grow back. But I don't like short hair on me. If you're happy and it suits you, no problem :)

CatsAndCoffee
July 24th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I don't mind short hair on me ... It's just so strange. It's so hot here, I miss being able to throw it up in a bun!

I am hoping that with all the damage gone, it'll grow to at least my shoulders soon!

alexis917
July 24th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I'm about to chop off an inch or two because of damage, as well! Hope your hair grows out nicely :)

Unzadi
August 1st, 2015, 05:54 AM
I'm about to chop four to six inches of damage/thin ends, and actually looking forward to it. Thick, healthy hair is a good thing, no splits and I can't wait to see what my waves do at the new length. I love my below-bsl-at-the-longest length, but those inches aren't healthy, so they need to go. Regrowing can be fun.