PDA

View Full Version : So I dyed my hair splat...it's stopped fading.

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Not sure if I should dye it, chop, or let it grow out...I've had no major cuts since letting it grow. i really dont want to cut. But the red is just lingering. I thought that since I hadn't prebleached the red would only stay maybe two weeks.it's blotchy which is the biggest problem. Quit honestly I'm a bartender the better I look the better my tips. Blotchy red and Ashby Brown hair isn't exactly doing it for me right now. Suggestions?

spidermom
July 19th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Upstyles. Braiding ribbon into your hair. Scarf styles. A heavy oiling might pull out some color, also products like Color Oops (maybe? don't know much)

With a nice up-style (perfect for summer), a smile, and makeup, your blotchy hair shouldn't subtract from your tips.

Nique1202
July 19th, 2015, 02:27 PM
French/dutch/waterfall braids would hide most of the blotchiness if you don't want to re-dye it. If it's just one patch, then a small dutch accent braid going back into whatever bun or ponytail you typically wear to work will just add interest, you know?

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I guess its because the country club members have mentioned it several times that it looks bad.
so far I've tried doing heavey oiling about four or five times. Like almost dripping with so mucb coconut oil and leaving it on over night. Nothing. And I tried baking soda in shampoo. Nothing. I may look into color oops.

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I may have to practice my braiding skills.

missblueeyes
July 19th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Have you tried vitamin c treatments yet? I heard they are great for fading dye!

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Haven't tried vitamin c yet. Where would I find that. Does Wal-Mart have it?

Kome
July 19th, 2015, 06:02 PM
yeah.... that's the problem with temporary reds and pinks, and even some of the other colors. They're not temporary on EVERYBODY. I find temp colors to linger in my hair for months or longer and will never fade back to the bleachedness underneath. Some people do though. I'd recommend getting a GOOD temporary bright color like Special Effects brand. You can buy them online. Splat is not so good and may attribute to the splotchiness. Good luck!

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I've used special effects. Before. But I had prebleached my hair and it stayed for about five months. I guess I just figured a cheap brand on unbleached hair would wash out faster than manic panic. (Which only lasted one wash when I had prebleached)

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I'll take a couple days to consider it..but I may find a color as close to my natural col our as I can and dye it..

DancingGirl
July 19th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I've heard dish washing soap fades color.

applecinn
July 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Just a head's up, since this is a direct dye (coats the hair) Color Oops and other products like it probably won't help to remove this color (in case you were considering it) since there wasn't an oxidation process. Would be a shame to have to also deal with the rotten egg smell (that lasts FOREVER) with no benefit.

Lauraes
July 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I've heard dish washing soap fades color.
Seconding this. I have turquoise Splat color in my hair that's faded to a green that's barely visible when dry but is a faint seaweed green when wet, ick. It doesn't bother me for now but I clarified with undiluted dish soap a few weeks ago and it pulled some of the color out. Not completely, but some. I did a deep treatment immediately afterwards so my hair wasn't too dried out or anything.

hannabiss
July 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Cool I'll try the dish soap first. Dying it would be a last resort. I didn't want to go down that road again. shudder:

endlessly
July 19th, 2015, 09:01 PM
In my experience, nothing fades red. I decided in March to stop using hair dye and colored over my reddish hair with a color closely resembling my natural roots - well, this many months later with loads of washings and the red still shines through. It's not nearly as bright as it was, so that's definitely a plus as my roots blend very well with the color-treated portion, but it's still a bit noticeable. In the past, I had a particularly bad hair dye incident and tried several methods to lighten the color with household products: honey, vinegar, baking soda, Vitamin C, dish soap, laundry detergent, anti-dandruff shampoo, etc. In order to use the baking soda, honey, and Vitamin C, I had to mix them with a clarifying shampoo as it was easier to evenly scrub throughout my hair that way, but of the 3, I only had minor luck with the baking soda. Honey did absolutely nothing except leave me with a sticky mess, the dish soap and laundry detergent did nothing but make my hair feel incredibly dry and brittle. The anti-dandruff shampoo helped slightly, but again, too drying.

As an absolute last resort, I used a bleach wash - you take one packet of powdered bleach (I bought mine from Sally's Beauty Supply for around $2) and mix it with an equal amount of shampoo (I used Suave Clarifying, which was only $1), then while using gloves, scrub it into your hair and let sit for just a few minutes. I applied to the ends first since I wanted it to sit longer there since they were the darkest, then applied to the rest of my hair and left it on for about 2-3 minutes before rinsing in warm water. For me, once was more than enough and while I was left with a bit of an "ombre" look, it did wonders to lighten the dark bits and even out my hair color. However, it was drying and it was definitely damaging. I lost about an inch in length because I had to trim my ends afterwards, but as long as I spoiled my hair with conditioners and masks, everything worked out really well. I would really only turn to this as a last resort, though, just because of the potential damage you could cause your hair.

pastina
July 19th, 2015, 09:39 PM
My favorite fading technique is hot water and dandruff shampoo. It does make a significant difference, but, it's not perfect. I am not trying to get back to a natural color, so staining doesn't bother me and it doesn't matter that my hair is forever pink under my current color. That's not your situation.

If you have legitimately tried all the other suggested fading techniques, I'm going to have to agree with endlessly on this one. I've heard of people mixing in various oils to the bleach powder and shampoo wash to reduce damage, but... Expect some damage. Also, expect your hair to lighten a tad from the bleach. Hugs, and good luck to you!

Night_Kitten
July 20th, 2015, 09:03 AM
If you have a hairdresser you trust (maybe a friend or someone you used to go to and can trust not to give you wrong info just to sell products), maybe ask him/her if there's a way to fade that particular brand or cover it up somehow (perhaps a shampoo with bluish hue can tone down the red or some other tips a professional dealing with hair dyes all the time might know...)

Anje
July 20th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Since it's a direct dye, I think the ColorOops isn't even worth trying. Maybe vitamin C in shampoo?

Otherwise, is there a reason why you don't just redye with more of that bright red-pink? Maintaining the color would be a lot easier than fading it out.

My favorite fading technique is hot water and dandruff shampoo. It does make a significant difference, but, it's not perfect. I am not trying to get back to a natural color, so staining doesn't bother me and it doesn't matter that my hair is forever pink under my current color. That's not your situation.

If you have legitimately tried all the other suggested fading techniques, I'm going to have to agree with endlessly on this one. I've heard of people mixing in various oils to the bleach powder and shampoo wash to reduce damage, but... Expect some damage. Also, expect your hair to lighten a tad from the bleach. Hugs, and good luck to you!

^^^ Listen to Pastina and the others who've done bright colors for years. They're the ones who know how to work with this stuff!

pastina
July 20th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks, Anje. :)

OP, here. (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=13842.0) <---- It's a post from hairdyeforum for you that explains the bleach powder/shampoo/oil technique and has feedback from users that have tried it. :)

hannabiss
July 20th, 2015, 09:53 AM
ANJE I dont want to redye it simply because my job got mad that I dyed it an unnatural red. And the country club members are kinda complaining about the blotchyness since some parts have faded and others are my hair color. They comment almost daily that it looks bad.
I've been thinking about it since last night.
In a way I'm not really worried about damage. (I would have liked to not damage it) my hairs fairly resistant. I grew to TBL in high school and I dyed my hair probably every three months. I didnt murder my hair till i permed it and it fried. In reality if I do dye it i won't be in despair about the damage.
I'm not sure when I'd be able to get to a Sallys to buy powder bleach. So I've been thinking I'll just dye as close as I can.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!!!!

pastina
July 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Hannabiss-- just to warn you-- dying over it might not give you the color results you want. Also, even permanent dyes fade and you'll be blotchy again. But, if that's the route you choose, make sure you choose an ash shade to counter the red.

hannabiss
July 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Well I've decided to go to a hair dresser. I'm going up to the collage boutique. I just called and requested to have the instructor of the class do it. In fact I may end up being a lesson of the day! I'm bringing in my box of splat so she can get an idea of what went in my hair. Also I'm bringing in a picture of what my hair color was before. Wish me luck. I've been unlucky with hair dressers but I hope a collage instructor will know how to handle this. I also might get an inch or two trimmed off. So I be back to the SL to APL group. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

hannabiss
July 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Don't get me wrong I love unnatural color. In fact right before I shaved my head I had splat lavender,aqua, and pink ****** hair. Love splat. I just underestimated its stay power. :)

pastina
July 20th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Well, I know *I'd* love to see pictures! Best of luck to you!!

Halliday
July 20th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Ive heard of people breaking fish oil tablets and then putting the oil in their hair as a deep treatment...

hannabiss
July 21st, 2015, 09:15 AM
Well I think the hair job was interesting. She had wanted to put a 40 volume bleach and developer on my head till it turned white then wanted to dye it however. I think the biggest misunderstanding yesterday was that yes I wanted to tone down the red but I didnt want to bleach it white. So she dyed it a dark ash brown. With the red in it almost looks mahogany brown. Whic i know in time will fade. I had her cut about an inch off all around. Can't say I'm super happy about my hair but I think it looks better than it did before. I just wish I wouldn't have dyed it red at all in the first place.

pastina
July 21st, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'm glad you didn't let her bleach you to white! You would have lost a LOT more length.