PDA

View Full Version : What is your family's opinion on your long hair?

Sweetalexandria
July 19th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Does your family share your love of long hair? my dad loves my long hair and says the longer the better, he doesn't like it when I even trim it and I know that if I even cut it medium length he would not like my hair at all lol. My sister and mum tell me to cut my hair, to mid-shoulder length as it is easier and that I would suit it more and can style it etc. Of course at the end of the day, it was what you want but sometimes hearing others opinion is fun and you do have feelings of spontaneously deciding to cut the long hair off:D

Aderyn
July 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM
They don't particularly care one way or the other - this extends to all relatives as well. I do get compliments on my hair, but I wouldn't say anyone is encouraging me to cut it, grow it or keep it the same length.

Hurven
July 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM
They don't really care about the length of my hair. They are more concerned about the fact that I put food in my hair... ;)

missrandie
July 19th, 2015, 12:25 PM
When my bio dad was alive, mom and I both had very long hair. He loved it that way, and while mom played with the length of hers a little bit (cut it to an awkward pixie when I was a toddler and I hated it! Lol didn't claim her or talk to her for a while), I never wanted my hair anything but long. Heck, I was mad when mom cut off 4 inches of my fairytales! She apologized later for taking so much.

But really, my family is entirely supportive of any length I have. Mom is growing her hair out too, so I'm not alone.

wilderwein
July 19th, 2015, 12:31 PM
My mom is really supportive, couse her sister has floor+ length hair, and she herself (my mom) when she was younger she used to have at least mid thigh hair. (shame I never saw it in real life)
My sisters, even tho my hair it's just BCL+ now and I want it at least at classic length, every time they see me combing it they give me compliments.
As about my dad, I don't think that he cares. He was much more aware about my hair color experiments hahahaha

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Both my parents are really supportive, even though my dad sometimes jokes and says, "Should I cut it yet?" :lol:

Lauraes
July 19th, 2015, 01:52 PM
My mom loves my long hair. When I was younger, I had classic length hair and when I was 12, I had it cut for the very first time- from classic length to APL. My mom cried. :lol: She buys me oil, and if she thinks it's weird, she's never said anything about it (I'd rather not tell her about the aloe vera or the vinegar, THAT she would find strange). She has short, curly, thin hair though (total opposite of mine) so we don't really share hair products except brushes and combs sometimes. My dad doesn't really care about what I do with my hair as long as it's not matted up. :p

lapis_lazuli
July 19th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Ehh... they're not that supportive...
They don't make mean remarks perse and my mom even commented once that I had great hair.
But they cannot fathom WHY I would want it so long and my mom doesn't think it's right to stop going to a hairdresser. She insists I need to get trims and when I inform her I take care of the splits myself, she doesn't listen.
She's rebuked me for cutting my hair 'everyday' (S&D...) and thinks my long hair prevents me from having fun (eg. swimming). I don't really like swimming anyway... Recently, my parents used my hair scissors to cut plastic among other things and things got ugly.
I've since bought new, better ones which from now on I'm labelling HAIR ONLY! and DO NOT USE! :lol:
Ah well... my friends love my hair which kind of makes up for it. Although I did see the fear in their eyes when I said I wanted to grow to knee! :rolleyes:

Nique1202
July 19th, 2015, 02:18 PM
It's funny, because my whole family used to be strongly in favour of shoulder-and-up, but since I started growing out my hair my mom started growing hers (and she's now down to APL and has no desire to stop until it's too hard for her to take care of on her own with her fibromyalgia) and even my aunt (who wore a two-inch gelled pixie for the last 15-20 years and a chin length curly 80s bob before that) has grown her hair out almost to shoulder. So, my desire for long hair is catching through my family like wildfire.

HintOfMint
July 19th, 2015, 02:23 PM
When I was a kid, my parents encouraged me to have short hair, but as an adult, they're pretty neutral about long hair. Although, the one constant is that my mom will always encourage me to keep my hair away from my face. Without fail. I think that's a mom thing.

DeadlyUnicorn
July 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM
No one really says much to me about it. My mom grew her hair long when she was young so she thinks it's fun I'm growing it out. :p Other distant family members that I don't know well and/or live far away leave me compliments on my Facebook, haha :o

SaucyWench
July 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Both my parents are dead and I cut all contact with my three siblings years ago, as well as a cousin and her son. The only biological relatives I have left are an uncle and aunt whom I haven't seen for 19 years (we live 3000 miles apart and they are elderly). For what it's worth, they loved my long hair at our wedding!

My dh LOVES my long hair (it was what attracted me to him in the first place). He finds it very sensual. He trims it for me and is learning to braid it, as well.

Ds, age 16, is of the opinion that if I like my hair, whatever length, then that's all that matters. He doesn't have a preference on girls hair, as long as they have some.

neko_kawaii
July 19th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Supportive, in as much as they care. My hair is only slightly longer than my moms. My sister attacks me and braids my hair the moment she sees me. I just sent her hair sticks for her birthday. I haven't heard what she thinks of them yet. *waits patiently*

Sarahlabyrinth
July 19th, 2015, 03:48 PM
My family are - unsupportive. My sisters tell me that long hair is gross, that it doesn't suit me, that I am too old for long hair, that it makes me look like a hippy or a witch and that the worst thing I could ever do is to wear it loose.

My mother used to say the same but in the last year or so she has started telling me that my hair is pretty.
I think my father would have liked my long hair but he passed away before I began growing it.

My SO is extremely supportive about me growing my hair, but he isn't "into" hair. But he does tell me it is pretty and he most patiently photographs and measures it for me whenever I ask him to (I'm sure it drives him nuts sometimes). Lol. Whenever he brushes it or strokes it to arrange it for a photo he is always even gentler with it than I would be so I can't complain;)

I asked him once out of curiosity how long he thought I should grow my hair. His reply was "Grow it as long as you want it to be for as long as it makes you happy." So I said "What if I grow it down to the floor?" He said " Nothing wrong with that - have it the way you want it."

arr
July 19th, 2015, 03:58 PM
My family thinks it is too long and can't understand why I want it this way. However, since I only see them once or twice a year I don't worry overmuch about it. I just wear it up as much as possible when I go visit. My husband started out not too enthusiastic about my growing, then he became more resigned, and now in recent times he's become supportive. He says he just didn't know if he would like how it looked but now he realizes that it looks just fine and he also likes when I try new hairstyles and ways to put it up.

Hypnotica
July 19th, 2015, 04:17 PM
They don't say much to my face but I know for a fact that both my sister and my mother brags about my hair to others. Especially my sister has a habit of doing that. She also brags about my knitting. :)

BF loves it and would like to have me in a one-piece with my hair down constantly but that is not going to happen :)

woodswanderer
July 19th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I would say that mostly no one in my family cares one way or the other. I've always had long hair, so no one comments.

Angel_Abby
July 19th, 2015, 04:56 PM
My husband prefers my hair short- but he's never been vocal unless asked. He has mentioned that I need to touch up my greys and I about took him down!! :mad:

violacutie
July 19th, 2015, 05:18 PM
My parents are very supportive of my intentions of growing my hair out to my knees. My mom doesn't even usually mind when I get yogurt all over her bathroom while I'm doing treatments there lol. My sister however loves to joke around with me and constantly asks if I recently cut my hair or wonders aloud if I've stunted my growth. She's a regular comedian that one, but I know she's supportive ;)

axonal
July 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I empathize with those of you unsupportive families. While growing up, my mom never let my hair get longer than shoulder--I've heard over and over (and over) again how chin-length hair 'frames my face'. Well, I'm in my mid-20's and have decided to let my hair grow. I'm now just shy of BSL and I've been getting negative comments EVERY time they see me since before APL. My mom and sister criticize both the length and my efforts to find a styling routine that doesn't ignore my 2a/b waves.

I love my new length and I'm growing to waist (or maybe hip) whether they like it or not!!!

alexis917
July 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Nobody notices me, haha. So, no opinions.

ladonna
July 19th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Before I had kids I knew a lady with 3 daughters who all had long princess like hair, I loved it so much that I wanted my future kids to have long hair too. So my two daughters have tbl+ hair, and as they started getting older I started growing my hair longer since I usually kept it about mbl.
My dh loves long hair and everyone in my family does too. One of my sil's is growing out her hair and was sad that her hair isn't as long as mine yet.

yahirwaO.o
July 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM
My mom supports me for long hair or whatever style I had (anime and blue color stuff in the past), as long its healthy, not stringy and brushed out.
The rest of my family is ambivalent. My grandma always wants me to go for a current short pampadour or undercut guy style and one of my uncles prefered my razored short blue experimental hair of the past. On the other hand, my cousin was sad when I cut my bcl jair and loved my fishtail braids, but now she loves I wear it down and straight, makes some comment I have runway girl hair LOL. Other uncle likes my hair this lenght of long but not too long.

...they all comment how I made my hair so smooth,straight and shiny (most have thick coarse dry wavy-curly hair), and I do nothing. thats the way my hair is!

Jeni
July 19th, 2015, 07:36 PM
My mother is neutral about my hair, my step father likes long hair, no idea what my father's opinion is of it.... My extended family aren't exactly fans if long hair and I get comments from my grandmother that I should cut it because my hair "just lays there", I'm not sure what they want hair to do. I think if my hair was thicker, fuller, had more body, etc they'd be more supportive of it. My hair is very straight and baby fine and it has thinned even more in the last few years :(

rosey4exclaim
July 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I think my family thinks of long hair as my thing. Whenever I've had short hair, it takes them a while to get used to it, and by then it's growing out. They think it's "me." Oh, and DBF (definitely a part of my family, if not on paper) loves me with long hair. He was sad when I chopped it off.

Deborah
July 19th, 2015, 11:11 PM
My husband likes my long hair. No one else cares how I wear my hair. They are used to it always being long, but if I suddenly cut it short I think they'd say, "Well, look at that!" and that would be the end of it.

Jo Ann
July 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Sometimes when my hair doesn't cooperate with me, I can hear my Dear Nana's battlecry, "It looks like H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!" (well, she didn't exactly put it that way, but you kinda get the drift :oops: ). As a kid, whenever Dear Nana couldn't stand looking at my frizz and flyaway hair, it was off to Millie's for a pixie... :( I'm happy to say that, since I was 16, it's been MY choice how long my hair is. :) Come to think of it, the last time anyone asked me about cutting it, I was pregnant with my Oldest Dear Son (almost 30 years ago), and I told both Dear Nana and Dear Mom that I wasn't planning on cutting my hair because I didn't see where having to do so should be a Badge of Motherhood.

Since that time, my hair's been from APL to WL and everything in between. I've found ways to make peace with it and, miracles of miracles, my hair has tried it's best to show it's appreciation by looking and feeling healthier. Nowadays, not much is said about my hair one way or another. I kinda like it like that. :D

Aderyn
July 20th, 2015, 12:05 AM
I empathize with those of you unsupportive families. While growing up, my mom never let my hair get longer than shoulder--I've heard over and over (and over) again how chin-length hair 'frames my face'. Well, I'm in my mid-20's and have decided to let my hair grow. I'm now just shy of BSL and I've been getting negative comments EVERY time they see me since before APL. My mom and sister criticize both the length and my efforts to find a styling routine that doesn't ignore my 2a/b waves.

I love my new length and I'm growing to waist (or maybe hip) whether they like it or not!!!

I never understood this argument. If you wanted something to frame your face, it's just as easy to cut flattering bangs/fringe/face-framing layers into your long hair if you wanted. Or get some clip-on extensions to get the same effect.

Marika
July 20th, 2015, 03:09 AM
My family never comments my hair. Well, last time I saw my mother, she said "your hair is long". My hair is usually up so she probably thought it would be a lot shorter. I don't think my family realizes that I'm actively growing my hair. Hair is not really a subject in our conversations. My mother has shoulder length hair and my sister's hair is at waist. My dad had long hair in the 80s/early 90s.

flickm
July 20th, 2015, 03:43 AM
My sisters don't mind one way or another - nobody much here gives hair length a second thought: maybe it's living in a university city where anything goes. The elderly lady i visit once a week liked it better when it was shoulder length. I said I'm growing it as long as it will go, and she pulled a face, but she's very old fashioned, from a strict background. My father is dead and my mother has dementia, so no opinions there, though they kept my hair quite short when i was a child.

YvetteVarie
July 20th, 2015, 03:45 AM
My family doesn't really mind. The only thing they care about is when I use uncoventional (for them) methods to grow out my hair. One of my cousins is so excited about my hair length that she wants me to wear my hair down for her wedding.

restless
July 20th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Apart from one of my little newphes who loves it, I dont really think most of them care, but at least they dont seem to mind. My brothers and my sister in law have all just stated that "its so long" at one point or another and my dad hasnt said anything at all. However, he didnt even bat an eye back when I lived at his place and experimented with all kinds of oils, honey and other concoctions, so I guess he accepts it :p

vpatt
July 20th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Both my daughter's are supportive and one has waist length.....the other has botticelli curls over her shoulders. I have two friends with past classic hair who are also supportive. My son has never mentioned it and hubby says do what I want.....he knows that is his best response, lol. I have had some compliments from others and so far not a single person has said anything negative. Of course, it is not yet to APL so I will be surprised at my age if I don't get some less desirable comments, eventually.

Eraisuithiel
July 20th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Mixed opinions. My grandpa is visibly/verbally upset if I cut my hair (he almost couldn't talk to me when I had my supershort pixie). My dad always wanted me to grow it long, but never really commented because it was my hair. My stepdad wants me to grow it long. All of the females, however, want me to have SL or pixie length hair. They think it suits me better, esp. since my typical clothing is more on the frumpy side than not and wearing my hair up exaggerates the effect. Personally, I just want to see how long my hair can grow. I've never got past WL without deciding it needed to be cut and usually permed.

Kendrix
July 20th, 2015, 08:10 AM
It's mixed. My brother really loved my hair short, thought it looked great with my face shape, but he isn't a fan of long hair or updoes aesthetically. I used to have very long hair as a child, but I ended up cutting it short and not growing it past bsl until now. My mom likes it and never wanted me to cut it when I was little, but I was a kid and did not know how to take care of my hair.

She and my family have noticed that my hair tends to run my life lol. Sometimes my mom can answer questions for me. Like "is Katlyn going swimming?" To which mom replies, "no. Are you crazy? Wash day was yesterday, she's got to go at LEAST another week before she wets it. Unless she breaks up the week with a conditioning treatment. Oh, wait no. She did it on wash day. Yeah you aren't getting her hair anywhere near water." And then there are giggles.

Though we got a professional pic of all the grandkids done for my grandmother's birthday and I had an amazing hair day. No one was laughing at my treatments THEN. Lol

Hairkay
July 20th, 2015, 09:43 AM
My family are fine with me growing my hair long. My mother's hair would always break off before it got to shoulder length unstretched. She had planned to cut her daughters' hair very short for ease of management because she assumed we'd all get her very thick hair which she found hard to manage. We did get thick hair but it was easier to manage than hers so she never cut it. When I was 19 big sis asked to blow dry my BSL hair. I let her. She was gasping at how long it was and how much of it I had. Big sis had been cutting hers to a few inches every month for years by then so by her comparison it was long. My lil sis keeps her hair waist long in small locks which she regularly trims. My mother got inspired by that and had thick locks until it got to BSL then she cut it all off to an inch long. She only did so because the hair got too heavy for her.

Eastbound&Down
July 20th, 2015, 12:34 PM
My family doesn't care about my hair length, just whether it looks healthy. It does irk my mom that I don't go in for what she considers "normal" salon appointments and we will forever disagree on the "trimming the ends makes hair grow faster" debate but it's all good natured. My husband likes long hair, but long is like WL to him so we'll cross that bridge when it comes haha.

Halliday
July 20th, 2015, 12:43 PM
They like it. Thankfully

teal
July 20th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Supportive. DH loves it and so do my kids. As a child I had long hair (tbl) as well - my mom took care of it until I was able to take over. The women on my dad's side have all had long hair at one point or another (though many succumbed to the middle-aged perm). I think the worst I've heard from family, if it could even be termed 'bad', would be my aunt (mom's side) not understanding at all why my mom would invite the "hassle" of long hair on a kid. My aunt never wanted to maintain long hair, so her and her daughter's hair have always been short. Mind you, my mom never wanted rodents in the house or understood the appeal, and this aunt loved having mice and hamsters and the like, so I guess they're even. :lol:

Gamma Vector
July 20th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Pretty much all the women in my family have long hair. My mom is currently trying to grow hers as long as she can get it (she's at waist-length), and my grandmother keeps hers at BSL. Growing up, my sister and I weren't allowed to cut ours except for regular trims. (This, despite the fact that we literally grew up in our grandmother's beauty parlor.)

As adults, I've (mostly) kept the long hair, while my sister went from MCL to a chin-length bob. I thought our mother was going to have a heart attack, honestly. My sister loves her hair short because it's cute and easy to care for, though she does say she regrets not being able to do fancy things with it sometimes. I used to loooooooooove putting her hair up, because it was 1c/M/iii and a beautiful chestnut brown. Made the most GORGEOUS updos you've ever seen! Not to mention the braids....(If you've ever seen the "Arwen at Helm's Deep" style floating around on the internet, that's one of the things I used to do to it for special occasions. SO PRETTY.)

My girlfriend gets annoyed with my hair sometimes (mostly when she finds it wrapped around her toes, or clogging the vacuum, or when my braid whaps her in the face at night), but she knows it's a big part of my identity, and she supports that. I don't think she would mind at all if I cut it short, but she's never really expressed a preference. My hair is my business, you know? She helps me untangle it when I ask (because I have some joint issues, and I can't always manage to comb it by myself). And while she occasionally gives me the side-eye when I'm doing something "weird" like putting honey and yogurt in it, she's never complained. Sometimes she'll even let me do the same thing to her hair, ehehehehehe~

So overall, I'd say my family is super supportive of long hair.

Gamma Vector
July 20th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Pretty much all the women in my family have long hair. My mom is currently trying to grow hers as long as she can get it (she's at waist-length), and my grandmother keeps hers at BSL. Growing up, my sister and I weren't allowed to cut ours except for regular trims. (This, despite the fact that we literally grew up in our grandmother's beauty parlor.)

As adults, I've (mostly) kept the long hair, while my sister went from MCL to a chin-length bob. I thought our mother was going to have a heart attack, honestly. My sister loves her hair short because it's cute and easy to care for, though she does say she regrets not being able to do fancy things with it sometimes. I used to loooooooooove putting her hair up, because it was 1c/M/iii and a beautiful chestnut brown. Made the most GORGEOUS updos you've ever seen! Not to mention the braids....(If you've ever seen the "Arwen at Helm's Deep" style floating around on the internet, that's one of the things I used to do to it for special occasions. SO PRETTY.)

My girlfriend gets annoyed with my hair sometimes (mostly when she finds it wrapped around her toes, or clogging the vacuum, or when my braid whaps her in the face at night), but she knows it's a big part of my identity, and she supports that. I don't think she would mind at all if I cut it short, but she's never really expressed a preference. My hair is my business, you know? She helps me untangle it when I ask (because I have some joint issues, and I can't always manage to comb it by myself). And while she occasionally gives me the side-eye when I'm doing something "weird" like putting honey and yogurt in it, she's never complained. Sometimes she'll even let me do the same thing to her hair, ehehehehehe~

So overall, I'd say my family is super supportive of long hair.

liabobia
July 20th, 2015, 03:47 PM
My mom hates long hair and I wasn't allowed to have hair below my ears growing up. I think it's why I'm a longhair now, tbh.

coyoteanne
July 20th, 2015, 07:24 PM
My family has been trying to get me to grow out from my pixie/mohawk addiction. My grandma thinks long hair on women is highly important, and though I don't agree with her, I'm finally coming around.
Now that I am growing out my hair my whole family compliments me, which I appreciate.

AZDesertRose
July 20th, 2015, 07:46 PM
My family doesn't much care. My mom was a bit surprised when I told her I was growing it out to at least waist again ("Wow, really, that long?" I think is approximately what she said), but she doesn't really care much. The only time she ever really tried hard to convince me one way or the other about my hair was the summer before my 12th grade year when I cut from about BSL/MBL to a pixie-type cut. She tried (HARD) to talk me out of cutting it so short. She was right too; it only looked decent when professionally styled. (For example, it looks all right in my senior prom photos, if a bit dated because that was 1993, but in any candid photos from that time frame with me doing ordinary things on an ordinary day, it looks meh at best.)

My stepdad couldn't be bothered to care about my hair if he tried. (I love him and he loves me--he's been my stepfather for the last thirty years--but hair is just not something he concerns himself with. He can barely be bothered to do anything with his own other than cutting and washing his head hair and washing and trimming his beard, LOL.)

My daughter loves playing with it. She keeps trying to get victory rolls to work on me. She can do them on herself and have them look great, but she can't seem to make them come out looking not-weird on me. (Her hair is pin-straight and thick as anything, while mine is slightly wavy and probably a little thinner than hers, so the slight textural difference may matter as well as the fact that hers is that dark-blonde-or-light-brown color but mine is very dark brown naturally, currently a henna'd dark auburn.) She also likes to braid it for me.

I'm not sure my brothers have an opinion either. I've never actually asked either of my brothers that I'm in touch with about it. (I have three brothers total, no sisters, but the middle brother is being a butt and not making contact with the rest of the family.)

So my family is not particularly supportive but not particularly negative about it either, basically.

ETA: My biological father is dead and we weren't in touch really for about the last twenty-five years of his life (short version of the reason is that he was an alcoholic with all the family drama that goes along with that sort of thing), so I neither know nor care what he'd have thought.

Alun
July 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM
My wife and son (he's 22) have long hair, but my daughter's hair is only shoulder length (she's eighteen, if I write it in figures it gets changed into an emoticon). But it's my wife, who has long hair herself, who thinks I am too old to have long hair, telling me it's too thin/too grey, etc. Not going to cut it though. Then it would just be shorter, but still thin and grey, and I have had thin, fine, hair all my life anyway. Escaped MPB without it receding, but I admit it is thinner than it was.

My mum has shoulder length hair, and doesn't think anyone else should have longer than that. It's not even anything to do with me being a guy, although I used to think it was. However, no other relatives have ever said anything, not even my dad, although he once said that he was comparing notes with another guy and they both agreed that they were surprised their sons hadn't grown out of our hairstyles, but the other guy's son's hair was green, so I think he was pleased that mine was at least a natural colour, LOL!

lfbddjw
July 21st, 2015, 10:21 AM
My parents absolutely hate long hair, and mine's not even long at all, only waist length.

My mom has always kept her own hair in a short bob and until I was old enough to rebel against her style, short bob was how my hair was too. As a kid, being able to grow out my hair was probably my number one wish. Even now, she tells me that my hair isn't the type to look good long, too thin, too frizzy, too whatever.

My dad doesn't like it because it's so high maintenance. Takes too much time to care for. He's Mr. Efficiency.

As a result, in my junior year of high school, I ended up having to lop off my hair from tailbone length to a bob that went halfway between my ears and my chin. I was so upset and will never do that again, no matter how much they nag me.

brickworld13
July 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM
My dad is indifferent about it. His mom thinks I'm crazy. My mom thinks I don't wash it enough and that it's an oily, disgusting mess. Her dad think's it's pretty. Her mom loved it while she was alive. Her aunt loves it too. My sister thinks I'm insane and wants me to get a bob. I don't know or care about what my stepdad's opinion of my hair is or his extended family.

henné
July 21st, 2015, 11:26 AM
Nobody cares ... nor should they.

And I wouldn't care if anyone did ...

:)

Kaelbu
July 21st, 2015, 01:15 PM
My husband is supportive. He wants me to keep my hair long and likes the idea of it being my goal length (hip for now) or even longer. He's not particularly interested in hair in general, but I've asked him recently, and he likes my long hair (and even says it looks good in up-dos now, which he previously didn't like as much).

His family is also pretty supportive. They don't talk about it a lot, but when they do, they talk about it being long in a positive way. "Oh, look how long it's gotten!" "I wish so-and-so would let their hair grow, too!"

MY family, however, remains very neutral. They almost never mention it unless I comment on how I need to trim damage off. Then they usually agree (my mom or sister-in-law). My SIL and/or mom will then go on to say they want to cut theirs into short bobs again. I guess most of my family members have short hair. Except my sister! Her's is almost as long as mine. But she never talks about it!

roseomalley
July 21st, 2015, 01:20 PM
My sister thinks I am too old and that my hair is too fine and grey, etc. my aunts say I look like their mom did
(shouldn't this be a good thing?). My husband likes it up only. My one daughter insists I need bangs. My head hurts from all their comments (mostly negative). I am growing it because that is what I want to do.

Radioduck
July 21st, 2015, 02:42 PM
I don't have really long hair (yet) so my family isn't complaining about my hair, but it seems like they in general think that short hair looks better than long. My mom once said that long hair looks "scruffy" or something along those terms.

Amahaitz
July 21st, 2015, 03:06 PM
My mother has always disliked long hair and truly hates MY long hair. Among her descriptions: "scaggy," "draggy," and "like a wolf woman." She would like me to have a mid-length bob, professionally highlighted of course, and always keep it tied back. My father used to dislike long hair too and say that all grown women should cut their hair short in order to look younger, but in his old age he has mellowed and thinks people should just do what they like. The two people who matter most, my daughter and my husband, both love my long hair. And *I* like it, so it's staying!

Bunnehlvr22
July 21st, 2015, 05:31 PM
My siblings honestly don't care what length my hair is. Both my parents love long hair (my mom had knee length hair when I was born) but they don't try to encourage me to keep my hair either long or short. They're very supportive whatever length I want. My extended family really could not care any less.

Frankenstein
July 22nd, 2015, 12:27 PM
They don't care, they just don't want to hear me complain about it :p They weren't always wild about the colors I had in the past though. My mom told me recently that blonde didn't look good on me and my dad never cared for my red hair because he doesn't like that color for some reason.

akuamoonmaui
July 22nd, 2015, 06:11 PM
My mom reluctantly "likes" it. She feels long hair is scraggly and unkept. Mine is pretty darn healthy with a trimmed hem line so she can't "go there". My dad notices but I think could really care less. (Still love him). My daughter said when she got back from college, "MOM. Your hair is getting really long" - like she didn't believe her mom could ever outgrow hers :cool: My niece saw it and then stated she'd grow hers too. I don't think it will happen, but recent pics show it is a longer style.

Teagann
July 25th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Everyone in my family/circle of friends likes my hair, I haven't had any negativity about it at all. Although I have a nasty feeling it may come when I hit hip.

Othala
July 25th, 2015, 01:05 PM
My family are unanimously against my long hair. They see it as a dreadful thow-back (they are from India) to tradition and would much prefer me to have a short, back and sides LOL.

Jadestorm
July 25th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I don't really think they have much of an opinion on it, although sometimes my mom comments on how I almost never wear it down or in a ponytail anymore and how that's a shame. She thinks I'd wear it like that more again if it was shorter and she's right: I did wear it down and in a ponytail more again when I cut a big chunk of it off a few years back. The only thing other relatives sometimes say is 'you're still sticking to your long hair, huh?'

Jadestorm
July 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM
My mother has always disliked long hair and truly hates MY long hair. Among her descriptions: "scaggy," "draggy," and "like a wolf woman." She would like me to have a mid-length bob, professionally highlighted of course, and always keep it tied back. My father used to dislike long hair too and say that all grown women should cut their hair short in order to look younger, but in his old age he has mellowed and thinks people should just do what they like. The two people who matter most, my daughter and my husband, both love my long hair. And *I* like it, so it's staying!
Wow Amahaitz, what afwul things your mom says :confused:, I'm sorry about that. You're SO right, it's YOU that has to love it, and I'm glad to hear that at least your daughter and husband love it too :)

PixieP
July 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I don't speak to my mother or her side of the family, so no clue. My dad, stepmom, that side of the family and in-laws haven't ever commented on the length, only on the colour (in a positive way). My dad and stepmom never tell me to change, even though I'm sure they would prefer if I had my natural haircolour and dressed in something else than all-black, they never say so to my face. My husband loves my hair, my oldest brother doesn't care (the other two are too young to have any opinions about their old sisters hair, lol) and my friends like it, as far as they've told me at least!

The only person's opinion that I care about is my husband though. I wouldn't give a d**n if my dad called once a week demanding I'd cut and colour my hair XD Luckily, my husband likes most everything I do with my hair, except for that time a hairdresser cut my then straight bangs WAY too short (I had a bob too, so I looked like a Lego figure).

HairPlease
July 25th, 2015, 02:45 PM
My mom had really long hair in the 70s. Curly too. My dad doesn't mind it either. It's just cultural locally I suppose, given some of my friend's parents and siblings think it's gross reverting to the hair ends in the toilet argument. Haha

PixieP
July 25th, 2015, 02:48 PM
But that's not a valid argument at all! You sweep your hair aside, like you pull down your pants or pull up your dress. It's like me automatically pulling my hair back when I eat, I don't even think about it. That's a stupid argument, you can tell them from me next time :P

Aurum
July 25th, 2015, 03:02 PM
My parents both have average short haircuts, but thankfully they're open to my hair deviance. My mother actually loves my long hair and has provided much-needed words of wisdom in times when I've thought about chopping it all off. My father is pretty blind when it comes to my looks. I once waltzed into the living room with a faux bob and asked him if he noticed a difference. His response-- "You combed it?" :o

Monsoonu
July 26th, 2015, 06:09 AM
My mother does not approve of my long hair and takes every opportunity to tell me.

My father doesn't generally comment on it, but he has complimented me on it once or twice. My sister and brother don't really have a opinion which is nice.

wilderwein
July 26th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I have to add. They don't bother the length, they bother the hair sticks buns. -.-
I had a semi-interview for a job yesterday and I had my hair up in a bun. My sisters commented a "Thats how you are gonna do your hair?" "Well, I guess is wilderwein's usual style :rolleyes:"

David W
August 6th, 2015, 10:59 PM
I've had long hair for long enough now that it's just me and they don't seem to care. I had mentioned to my mom and sister that I was thinking of cutting a little bit ago (decide not to) and they both commented essentially that it would be "strange" to see me with short hair, not good or bad just strange. They hated it when I first grew it out so that is a definite win in my book.

Gaalsong
January 29th, 2016, 08:32 AM
When I was a kid, my parents encouraged me to have short hair, but as an adult, they're pretty neutral about long hair. Although, the one constant is that my mom will always encourage me to keep my hair away from my face. Without fail. I think that's a mom thing.

I am constantly telling my daughter to keep her hair off of her face! I think it's because as a mom you start out having to CLEAN that face and that hair, and it makes things easier if the hair is neatly pulled back or pinned or tucked behind the ears. But my daughter (six) just lets it hang in her face. I don't know how she can see!

Carolyn
January 29th, 2016, 08:56 AM
My mom and I clashed about hair when I was growing up. We clashed about clothes and make up too. I started growing it long in high school and have never looked back. She made a few comments over the years but she wasn't hateful about it. I think in her opinion nice girls and women didn't have long hair. I had the impression she thought long hair was slutty. Years later she did give me a compliment on it. It was close to waist then. I think she had mellowed out in old age. I wish we had talked about it more. I'd like to know the whys of it. My dad never expressed an opinion. I never talked about hair with my brother but I do know he encouraged his wife to grow out her super short pixie. I've never talked about my hair with Mr Cranky and he's never expressed an opinion it it either. Occasionally he will tell me I look nice but I don't know exactly what that means. I do know that I am almost always wearing black when he says that. He's a guy so I don't expect him to notice details :rolleyes: I would never talk about hair with the inlaws. I don't really care to hear with they have to say. The only people in real life that I talk about my hair plans and goals are my stylist and one good girl friend. Besides, I've got you guys to talk to, I don't need to have a family discussion about it.

languagenut
January 29th, 2016, 11:19 AM
My hair has just been gradually growing since childhood, so my family takes it for granted; it's just part of me the way my glasses are part of my face. I think they'd be disappointed if I had it cut short, though.

endersworld
January 29th, 2016, 11:54 AM
My family was more OK with it when my hair was at a more 'normal' length. As it's approached and surpassed TBL, I've gotten way more comments asking when I'll be cutting it.
My dad used to say it looked nice, but he now reacts to it in the same manner he used when I mentioned buying a cloak for winter wear - not exactly negatively, but with a sort of 'why would you do that?' attitude.
My cousin is incredulous that it's as long as it is and hasn't stopped growing yet, but she also straightens her hair two or three times a day and gets highlights every other week, so her hair never gets any longer than BSL.
However, my sister lives with me, and the only comment I ever get from her is that she wishes my hair wouldn't get all over the floors and couch! :laugh:

elsieivy
January 29th, 2016, 01:52 PM
My hair was long but not in very nice condition when I was in high school and my mom and sisters tended to be critical because of the condition. I don't think anyone cared one way or the other about the length. My mom sometimes didn't like the way I styled (all one length with a center part.) My husband likes my hair long but I don't think he'd be upset or anything if I cut it short. (Which is good. I have long hair because I like it.)

fiðrildi
January 29th, 2016, 02:11 PM
My sister is supportive, and she's the only one in my family with whom I talk about my hair goals. A couple of years ago I mentioned to my parents about me planning to grow knee length hair, and they didn't react well. They kept saying that would be extremely dirty looking and vulgar. In my teenage years I grew it to waist length, before cutting back to BSL (I've never had shorter hair than shoulder length, when I was little). My mum said "nobody could see my face with so much hair". She insisted for some time that a pixie cut would suit me oh-so-well. But ever since I actively started to grow my hair and look after it properly (3 years ago), she stopped saying that I should cut it, and pays me compliments from time to time ;)
My dad has always preferred shorter hair in women, but he never comments about my hair, at least not to me directly. I guess as long as I'm happy with my looks they don't really care anymore.

FloC
January 29th, 2016, 02:49 PM
My husband has a panic attack when I go for a small trim in case I come back with a load cut off.
My dad judges people by how well they dress, he is very into designer clothes, and thinks my hair is boring and lacks style. Good job I love it!

Olavi
January 29th, 2016, 02:52 PM
My hair is between APL and BSL now, but my family doesn't care that much about my hair goals :shrug: I don't think my brother cares at all, I don't remember him commenting on my hair EVER (not even when I had pink hair, or dreads, or shaved or mohawk or...). My parent's only objection seems to be that they think I may have not enough patience for growing and maintaining longer hair. Other than that, they think I should have whatever hair I like :D They have more opinions about my brother's hair than mine ;)

gregh
January 29th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Wife was fine with it since she new I had always wanted to give it a go and I think she is actually starting to legitimately like it not just tolerate it, but she definitely likes the accompanying beard. My kids still aren't big fans but they are slowly getting used to it and are no longer grossed out. My mother and father still think its a midlife crisis type of deal but the number of comments that they make have slowly decreased over time. My sister still teases me, though light-heartedly, and I bet the next time I see her I'll have longer hair so I can dish it back a bit.

Laur
January 29th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Nobody in my family really seems to care - though I do get compliments when I wear it down and curly. Otherwise it's up, and in a bun, with my hair thickness, the difference between waist and classic is pretty hard to tell!

curiop
January 29th, 2016, 05:47 PM
my mum thinks i won't make it to classic because of how impulsive i am, she also thinks the fact that i don't cut my hair every six weeks is weird (i only trim my ends when they start to go ragged from damage, which is less now that i'm bunning). she loves the fact that i can do more elaborate braids and my hair toys. i don't really talk to anyone else about my hair in my family.

Entangled
January 29th, 2016, 06:31 PM
My mom isn't fond of my hair--since it's passing the threshold of normal, she'd like me to cut it back to BSL so it'll still be long, but not "pioneer" long. She's not overly critical, but she does give an honest evaluation if she's discussing it with a commenter. Stuff like "you can see the broken ends" ( I'm wavy enough for my growth to stick out of my combed straight hair, and it does have a little taper), but it is in pretty good condition.

PristineAllure
January 30th, 2016, 05:33 AM
They're happy that it makes me happy. Though they aren't obsessed with hair or interested in hair like I am. They do think that it looks nice though. They're overall very encouraging, but they let me know in their own subtle ways when I'm rambling about my hair too much...But, that's why I have you all.

Nadine <3
January 30th, 2016, 09:41 AM
They think I'm crazy for wanting it waist length when it's already long in their opinion. I think they're more concerned with the purple color more than anything else. lol

HeartofHaleth
January 30th, 2016, 02:12 PM
My mom loves my almost-hip wavy-ish hair. Hers has always been very thin and straight, and I thing she lives vicariously through mine:p

Sweets
January 30th, 2016, 02:22 PM
My family loves long hair. Both my brothers kept shoulder length hair - one until after high school, and the other until middle school. My mom has BSL hair and my dad always has "longer-than-acceptable" hair too. I was the rebel with a pixie after having hair I could sit on until I was 17 or so, but I miss it so much and I'm growing it back out ... my parents couldn't be happier LOL.

lucasBA
February 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
They like it. My mom was sad when I cut my hair before so she was really happy when I decided to grow it back out. My dad had long hair when he was younger and he doesn't really care either way. And my sister says I look better with it long, probably just because that's how she is used to eyeing me though.

mermaid lullaby
February 4th, 2016, 07:39 PM
My sister thinks my hair is on steroids :lol:

Skruttiz
February 5th, 2016, 01:23 AM
My husband hates it. Almost every day he tells me to cut it off. I´ve trimmed it back from classic to tailbone - I don´t know how many times - but he´s still complaining.
Oh well, I´ve had this crazy shedding for many months now, and if that doesn´t stop soon, I won´t have any hair left to complain about. shudder:

Skade
February 5th, 2016, 04:49 AM
My boyfriend, whom I live with doesn't say much about it, but I'm pretty sure he wants me to cut it. He keeps complaining on shed hair everywhere. And I understand him, shed hair drives me crazy as well :) When I visit my family, my mum always tell me to trim the ends, and when she says trim the ends, she means at least 10 cm..

Nellon
February 5th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I think they like it. My partner gets mad when I joke that I will cut it. And my family tends to go ooh and aaah every time it's grown a bit saying: "Your hair is soo long!" :) (Even if, it's not really that long especially now since I cut it, but I always had short:ish hair before.) So yeah, actually they're being really nice to me!
My cousin has the most beautiful hair though: thick, dark and often in a waist lenght braid. So when she gives me hair compliments I get really happy :)

hobbitlocks
February 5th, 2016, 11:00 AM
My mom has really short hair (and I did for a while as a kid), so while she's nice about it.... I can also tell she thinks my dedication to long hair is bizarre and that it would look much nicer shorter! So every time I see her she'll ask "when are you going to get a hair cut?" haha and one time the answer was "I got it trimmed last week!" and I don't think she was very impressed with my trim! I've recently gotten better at cool buns and stuff and I think she finds those interesting at least.

I think my Dad just thinks it's a waste of time, and they are both under the impression that long hair takes longer. I definitely do take longer to do my hair when I visit them because my hair is pretty humidity sensitive so it behaves differently where they live (from my usual 1c/2a to more like 1b and very slippery). Oh well, luckily it's not their hair!! I do try to keep it up more around them though. Especially now - I'm at waist and anything past that will seem so absurd to them, but if it's up they won't really notice it ;)

Frisian
February 5th, 2016, 11:06 AM
My mom always told me that my hair is too thin to grow long and was the one that actually convinced me to cutting a bob at 16. Now she seems to like it, though she would like me 'to do something with it' :p the rest of the family is quiet about it, my youngest sister will sometimes put me down and says my bun is tiny for my length. Jealousy between sisters can really be bad! I don't worry about it too much though.

The Bf is also quite indifferent though he hates it when I cut it and really doesn't like anything shorter that BSL. I like how he is indifferent and then freaks out wheneven I text that I just cut my hair, he should know by now what 'cutting' means from a long haired person:)

hobbitlocks
February 5th, 2016, 02:00 PM
My mom always told me that my hair is too thin to grow long

At least from your little picture, your hair looks perfectly thick and beautiful to me!

Frisian
February 5th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Thank you, that's very sweet:) my hair compresses a lot so something like a cinnabun or beebut look really small. But she was wrong in the end, my hair actually looks much thicker long than short. Must be a family syndrome to think this as all my sisters and my mom have really short hair and always say their own hair is too thin to grow long.

Mimha
February 6th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Thank you, that's very sweet:) my hair compresses a lot so something like a cinnabun or beebut look really small. But she was wrong in the end, my hair actually looks much thicker long than short. Must be a family syndrome to think this as all my sisters and my mom have really short hair and always say their own hair is too thin to grow long.

Let them think what they want and enjoy your wonderful, healthy, lovely hair ! It's a very nice medium thickness mane of beautiful quality : nice neat and thick hemline, silky natural sleekness and wonderful shine and color.

Sometimes I wonder if people have eyes ?? Lol.

embee
February 6th, 2016, 06:46 AM
In the past, my dad was in favor of my long hair. My mom said I was ugly, but it didn't matter what my hair was like. Well, it did, she thought my hair was ugly without lightening and a perm. I don't recall her ever saying anything about my bun, except that she really didn't like the way I looked. Too bad, so sad. DH thought I was lovely, loved my hair long (BSL). DD and DS thought I was fine, but little kids don't judge like that, I don't think.

Now my all-grown-up family is ok with my hair. DS is in favor, has called me "hair girl" which makes me laugh. DD has grown out her hair (WL). DDiL has long hair - oh, dream hair, thick, waves, waist length. Nobody knows my washing (NW/SO) routine. Some things you just have to keep to yourself. ;)

Mimha
February 6th, 2016, 06:55 AM
In my family, the feelings about my hair are quite mixed. My Mom is my most unconditional supporter : she loves all what's makes me happy, and she is very proud of me (hey, she is my Mom !^^). And my hair is part of the package. She loves to see it down and to feel how soft and healthy it is. She would not like it if it starts getting bad looking though. Bad looking, for her, means "not healthy looking" or unkempt. "Ragged ratty worn out split ends" are not for her. I may have some work to convince her that my future natural fairytailed ends ARE healthy and CAN be good looking ! :D (I have already convinced her to go natural and embrace her wonderful silver, which she is now very proud of and gets a lot of compliments from !!^^)

My father lives quite far away (we have a difficult relationship), but I know that generally speaking, he loves long hair on women. For him, a woman with short hair is just an amputated person. He did not say much when I cut my hair into an ultra short pixie when I hit 20, and got a curly perm. (Yessss !^^) I looked really cute with it, but... way too boyish for him. I had kind of lost something of my womanhood magic and he looked at me like I had committed some iconoclastic act against myself (not to say against HIM, lol).

My sister has always been much more concerned than me into fashion and looking trendy. So my long hair "just hanging there" (= with no shape) or "hidden in a bun" (like some gloomy ancestor) or braided in my back (like some errand Indian gypsy) would not really convince her. Still today she will not admit that my hair is nice looking. She says it's of no interest to have long healthy hair to do "nothing with it" (= no trendy cut). I know we will never agree on what we consider best for ourselves anyway. She had the most beautiful enviable thick auburn dark brown fine silky hair (which she hated because it was "too slippery" :() and she has always cut it, permed it, and over dyed it year after year. Today she doesn't even remember what her natural texture and color were because she is terrified by her first whites. Her hair has lost half of its thickness out of becoming brittle due to over-treatments, and it has lost all its natural shine and bounciness. It's rough looking, stiff by gel and hairspray, and looks like anyone else's middle aged province woman here. Don't understand me wrong : my sister is a beautiful woman. Her hair doesn't look awful at all. But you know... when one LOVES hair like me ! I mean loves the material in itself : to feel the softness and silkiness in your hands, to admire the subtleness of the natural color nuances, to enjoy the beauty of the shine !... Sigh. My sister had twice the same amount of hair than me !... Such a wonderful material ruined just in order to look like anyone else !...

Her daughter (my only niece) has hip length dark ashy blonette super sleek medium hair. My sister tried to convince her to "style it" (= to tame that doomed sleekness that makes hair sooooo damn slippery), but my niece opposed a huge NO to her, ha ha ha ha ! "I forbid you to EVER touch my hair !!" she said. She wants to let it grow as long as possible.^^ I secretly suspect that she was inspired by me ! :eyebrows: Maybe a future LHCer ?? :D

Concerning the rest of my family, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. the feelings are mixed. No one really speaks about it, actually. Some don't speak about it because for them it's just the way they have always known me and hardly notice any change. That hair is just part of me. Some others don't speak about it because their are too shy to raise the matter but when they do, it's in a very respectful admiring way. And some others don't speak about it because they just don't want to say anything that may sound like a positive or complimentary statement. There is a great deal of competition among my cousins, and I know that there is unfortunately a lot of envy against me because both my grand-mothers often set me as an example to the others (because I helped them without complaining, was studying hard, was skillful at art, gifted for languages and sciences, etc.) or showed too much love for me. So they would rather die than admit that my hair looks nice. By now, most of them have destroyed their own beautiful locks with perms, dye and heat, and cut it into some short trendy style, "to look young". I must be the last one with my natural hair still looking exactly like in my teen years. Which you all know is totally inappropriate for a 50 yo lady ! ;)

Elizabeth E
April 14th, 2018, 03:30 AM
My mum is pretty supportive - even though my grandma had made her wear a bob until university and she never made a conscious effort to grow her hair out, it has still reached hip-length at 80cm today. She never goes to a hair dresser and therefore doesn't pressure me to go, which is great. Once every six months, I give her hair a slight trim and she says that she would like to grow it to about a meter long (BCL for her).
My dad isn't too happy about it - when I first announced that my goal had changed from HL to Knee, he was like, 'You can't grow your hair that long! It looks unnatural!' Boy, did I laugh at that! Once he saw that nothing he says is going to make me change my mind, he said it's okay, I can grow my hair that long...as long as I gradually cut it back again! Oh well, I'd rather not tell him now that I have no intentions of cutting back if I reach my goal length!

iforgotmylogin
April 14th, 2018, 03:58 AM
I am a dude. My dad hates my hair, everyone else is fine with it. Family I haven't seen in ages marvel at it and tell me I look like Mum or Dad

KwaveT
April 16th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I am a trans woman. My family has never liked my long hair, which is about mid back, before or after I started transitioning. I am repeatedly complemented on my hair by strangers.

ravenskey
April 16th, 2018, 02:32 PM
My parents both like my long hair and support me growing it - no pressuring me to have it cut or dyed.

Mum has recently started growing out her pixie cut with the aim of shoulder length so I've managed to infect her with longhairitis. :)

M00bles
April 17th, 2018, 04:40 AM
My mum loves it and would be devastated if I cut it (I have done before and she cried!) and my dad always watches me brush it and says ‘when that has pups I want one!’ which I do find pretty funny.

Stray_mind
April 17th, 2018, 04:59 AM
My mom and brother seem to support me growing my hair, my dad doesn't care, hahaha.

Katsura
April 17th, 2018, 05:45 AM
I guess it's all the same to them, whatever makes me happy.

Milady_DeWinter
April 17th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I wanna grow up to classic stretched. My family still dunno, they have seen me with waist lenght hair for years, up to BCL, so now that I'm touching hip it isn't noticiable for them yet. My brother will support me at anything and my mom had TBL hair when she was young, so I can count with them. My father might dislike it, but it was much worst for him that I dyed my hair (you were right daddy), so it'll be ok as long as I keep growing out henna/dyes :p

My bf is all ok with my goal, but don't like it longer. He'll accept it if I decided to grow longer though :)

Lumienkeli
April 17th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I had my hair around BSL for more than a decade, so nobody surprised that I want to grow my hair back there.

Meanwhilr my Mom and sister are both shocked when I told them I want to grow natural. I have tons of grey hair, my Mom's original hair color is not noticable under the dye, my sister have tons of greys too under the dye (around the same level as me). My housband is supportive. He likes my hair long and grey is just another hair color.

Joules
April 17th, 2018, 08:20 AM
My family doesn't care. My mom likes to comment on me not wearing my hair down and/or styling it (meaning heat, teasing, all the hair nightmares), "why are you growing long hair if no one can see its beauty?". My dad couldn't be more indifferent. I don't think they even know about my goals :D

My boyfriend is excited though. We live in different places at the moment, not that far from each other, but enough to make dates hard, we see each other once a week at most, sometimes even less. During winter we didn't see each other for more than two months, and when we finally met he was all like "Have your hair grown? How long is it now? Is it already hip length? Do you need new henna? I can buy you henna!". It was super cute :)

Aredhel
April 17th, 2018, 08:27 AM
My family's never really commented on it. Aside from the occasional light-hearted, "so when are you cutting your hair?". I mean, it's just long hair, I can't imagine anyone in my family has given my hair much thought.:p

Edit: Forgot to mention my fiance! He loves my hair long, but I've joked around about cutting my hair short before and he said he wouldn't mind that either, as long as it wasn't shorter than chin length. He isn't a huge fan of extreme lengths (longer than half my height), but he doesn't care enough to invest his energy into disliking it. :p

MlleMC
April 17th, 2018, 08:40 AM
My fiancé absolutely loves my hair, much prefers me to keep it at least hip length, and actually encourages me to keep growing.

The rest of my family however is not so supportive. Those who have commented only said that it looks weird and I should cut it (and quite a lot, from what I understood). Just the other day, I was telling my sister that I'll probably cut back to around tailbone (about a foot) after my wedding, but that I'd like to reach knee first, and she asked why I even wanted to have my hair long on my wedding day and to reach knee, and said that I should cut much more.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 08:42 AM
My parents eh.. they don't care what I do with my hair. Even though I know my mom prefers it shorter, but that's because her mom made her keep long hair in braids when she was a kid (i think this was the norm back in the day in Russia.)

My DH is not a fan of very long hair, he thinks it looks old fashioned.

lithostoic
April 17th, 2018, 12:28 PM
For the most part, I don't think they care, nor do I care about their opinion.

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 01:02 PM
My mom, cousins, and my aunt on my mom's side of the family has always loved my long hair! And, my mom always supports me in growing my hair a lot of longer than MBL. My 105 year old grandmother has always believed in growing out your hair instead of trimming or cutting it. She did not like trimming or cutting hair at all. She would always say, "In the bible there is a saying that a woman's hair is her crown and glory." I also agree with her on that note too.

Brittny
September 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Growing up my main cheerleader of my hair growth was my grandmother, She also would say the same thing about the Bible claiming a woman's hair is her glory. Now that I am 20 years old and working towards classic length, I am not seeing as much support - especially from my father. He always complains about how my hair is becoming "unnaturally long" and does not like when my hair strands find themselves around the house. For the most part, my family does not share my love for long hair nor support my goals of being a Rapunzel.

daisy rei
September 8th, 2018, 07:35 PM
My dad tells me every time he sees me with my hair down that I need a hair cut. I think he's dumb.

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:49 PM
My mom and sister don't like it and think I should cut it to CBL. However, my mom has had a pixie for the majority of her life and my sister has CBL hair, so I think they just like shorter hair.

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 05:17 PM
Mine doesn't tell me anything at all. They don't care if its short, long, bald, any color..etc. My mom always has something nice to say though :flower:

lillii
September 21st, 2018, 07:53 PM
My immediate family loves long, unique hair. The rest of my family keeps their hair short, low-maintenance, and even thin their hair if it gets too difficult for them to maintain! :eek: So I'm not too sure about how they feel about mine but I know my parents, brothers, and close cousins really enjoy my long hair!

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 09:31 PM
Wonderment.

My mother never had curly hair, hers was wavy. And I've never had long hair before so this texture is a revelation to us both.

Simsy
September 21st, 2018, 10:03 PM
My grandmother is a little disappointed about the loss of my curls, but is still otherwise very supportive. Dad isn’t quite sure about it, but his wife thinks it looks beautiful. The rest of the family treats it as a hobby and will happily “ooh and ahh” over the length at all the appropriate moments.

DH thinks it looks pretty but doesn’t care as long as I’m happy; so I’m basically keeping myself happy at this point.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 08:27 AM
My mom grew up with classic hair and likes long hair but she had to cut it short in her teens (boarding school) and has essentially never grown it back. My dad and grandparents are not fans of long hair. They're more into that old hollywood glamour look. Me personally, I love that 70's hippy hair and I've always tried to have long hair. At it's longest it's been about belly button length. My dad always said it looked a little "ratty" which to be fair, it did for a long time since I didn't know how to take care of it.

Earlier this year I cut my hair to just above my collar bone and my dad thought I looked great. And it is a cute hair style but my heart wants long luscious locks. Sorry!

My mom was trying to grow out her hair earlier this year and it got to just below APL. However she blow drys and straightens her hair every day, uses sulfate shampoo, barely conditions and barely uses anything moisturizing on her hair so it was in pretty rough shape. My dad continually nagged her to cut it like ALL off. I mean like super short pixie and I was like OMG MOM NO!!! She did eventually cut it to above her shoulder and it does look cute. I'm trying to get her into a better hair routine so that if she wants to grow it out it'll be healthy!

postpixie88
September 25th, 2018, 10:27 AM
They tend of be supportive of me, growing or cutting, but their idea of really long hair is waist length so I suppose that remains to be seen!

zashin66
September 25th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Their thoughts..."It's pretty but you are crazy"

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 10:52 PM
My mom loves my hair really long, and always encouraged me to have it long (I've never had it longer than hip!), but never made me keep it long. She let me play with it throughout my life! My boyfriend wants his hair longer, but every time it starts to get shaggy and cute, his parents are on him about it constantly to cut it. He hates it, and he is 24 YEARS OLD!

illicitlizard
October 6th, 2018, 03:06 AM
My mom loves my hair really long, and always encouraged me to have it long (I've never had it longer than hip!), but never made me keep it long. She let me play with it throughout my life! My boyfriend wants his hair longer, but every time it starts to get shaggy and cute, his parents are on him about it constantly to cut it. He hates it, and he is 24 YEARS OLD!

Oh my gawd! Sometimes parents really need to butt out of their children's lives especially when it's something as simple as hair length!

I think my family doesn't really care. My dad loved it when I cut all my hair off, but that's cuz I was still living at home and he hated finding long hairs everywhere. I feel like now, no-one would really mind either way. My grandma used to prefer me with long hair, but since going short she's warmed to the idea of that too :) I think mainly my family loves me for who I am so wouldn't seek to change my hair at any length. Very lucky to have such a supportive family tbh.

Aerya
October 6th, 2018, 03:51 AM
My hair isn't long now, but I know neither my mum or dad will care. My mum has beautiful virgin waist length hair now, and my dad used to wear it long and in a pony when he was younger. They are both supportive of me making my own decisions and while I may get some jokes once it gets longer than what is considered normal, they will let me grow it as I please. :)

I have only told my mother of wanting to grow long and virgin, and she gave me one of her old claw clips after I mentioned that it's difficult to find hair accessories that don't tug or damage your hair.

Corvana
October 6th, 2018, 07:58 PM
I don't think anyone in my family cares at all...

Of course, I also don't think any of them realize how long exactly I'd like to go! I want to at least reach FTL, and have a feeling that TBL will be my "sweet spot". But I don't know! I'm going to keep on growing to find out, and then cut back if needed to wherever I'm happiest.

My husband loves long hair, and would be happy with me growing to terminal. He jokes about growing his beard out to match.

Yoiko
October 7th, 2018, 05:13 AM
They like them, when in an updo or curly. But they don't like them on the Floor and i loose way too much lol.

ArabellaRose
October 7th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Think my family would be very disappointed if I cut my hair, I'm the only redhead in the family and they think it's beautiful, they're of the same opinion as me that the more of it I have the better!

My hair is my pride and joy, I'm generally low in confidence about everything else but I love my hair enough that I will happily say it's beautiful. Especially now I work hard at taking care of it!

*Wednesday*
October 7th, 2018, 03:00 PM
My mom was the biggest critic. At this point, she doesn't care anymore. She is only asking me to wear it down more so she can see it because it's always up. I say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder my dear."

shaluwm_agape
October 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM
My DH is very supportive he isn't into hair but he understands my want for longer hair. The last time it was long was 7 yrs ago at MBL. He had no complaints then. But I did tell him I wanted classic and he thinks that may be a bit too long. So it's TBA how long I will actually go... definitely past waist though.
As for my other family I really don't care what they think though last time I made my intentions known they were unsupportive

squirrrel
October 8th, 2018, 12:33 AM
I find it interesting. The only person (beyond the odd surprised colleague) who ever comments on the length of my hair is my mum. She tells me she likes seeing it long. It reminds her of her granny, who had hair past classic (she isn’t sure beyond that) who wore it in milkmaid braids, and took it down once each day to neaten it up after doing housework. Seeing me with hair either up (especially in milkmaid variations (apparently crown braid and coronet styles are close enough) or braided and down (or even just plain down) brings back memories of good family times for her.