PDA

View Full Version : How to grow out a long bob which is shorter at the back and longer at the front?

stephy190
July 19th, 2015, 07:41 AM
My hair is thick but you can't see it right now as it's not all 'together' - like I've got longer pieces at the front section and shorter at the back and some long layers. There's probably about an inch difference between the front and back.. Should I let it grow longer then even it up to the same length as the back? It's not annoying me too much because either way I'm growing it out, but what would be the quickest way? I want to keep the layers but just have the back and the front the same length but grown long. Any advice would really be appreciated!

trolleypup
July 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM
The quickest way would be to not cut it.

Assuming it is too short to lie naturally at the back, wait until it is to trim to evenness?

Nique1202
July 19th, 2015, 08:22 AM
You might find that as it grows out, the front doesn't look any longer than the back because eventually, in order to all go behind your back, your front hair will have to travel further. Also, as hair gets longer, the proportion of little differences like that looks like less compared to the total length. The difference will be almost totally hidden if you just let it grow out as it is now, with no trims.

Saproxylic
July 19th, 2015, 11:48 PM
I'm growing from about the same cut as you as it sounds, and now at shoulder I barely feel the difference. (I planned to cut back the longer bits about this stage, but now they bother me so little, I might leave them there till Christmas or something, before trimming, and only because they are bleached and damaged) Also, as mentioned, the long bits help with getting to a reliable updo faster, and that's a BIG pro! Happy growing!

Aderyn
July 19th, 2015, 11:51 PM
I'd wait until your hair was a bit longer before you start evening up you hemline, like shoulder-APL length or when you can start doing self trims easily, only trimming off a tiny bit at a time.

The longer bits in the front will definitely help with getting your hair up, though, as mentioned previously, which you will be so thankful for!

Night_Kitten
July 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I'd say if you can stand the longer bits, leave them be - once you start putting your hair behind your ears / putting it up, it won't show... Also, once you reach past shoulder and put all the hair behind your shoulders, the difference will become less prominent as the front bits will have to "travel" longer, past the shoulder curve... And you never know what's your growth pattern till you spend a long time without trims - it might well be that the back grows a bit faster than the front, which will even things up naturally over time (and eventually turn into a U or V hemline if you let it)...
As long as you aren't bothered by it, I'd say wait and see how it goes :)

Eastbound&Down
July 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I waited until past APL before I evened up my hemline. It took about a year to get from chin length bob to APL, so if you are patient, let it grow. if the hemline really bothers you, you can mircotrim the longer layers until they are even with the shorter ones and grow from there. It's all about preference. For me, I have to wear it in a bun everyday anyway so it wasn't as big a problem.

Angel_Abby
July 20th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I had this cut a few years ago! I evened up around shoulder. Tiny claw clips were my best friend. Just pin it in a half up and try not to concentrate on it too much.

applecinn
July 20th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I personally would not even up until APL at least. By then, you may not even need to, if you do at least the loss of length won't feel so much. At SL, it was really noticeable

turtlelover
July 20th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I had this haircut, and the longer bits drove me NUTS! I just evened the hemline out once it hit shoulder length and was MUCH happier.

Zesty
July 20th, 2015, 06:57 PM
I had a similar cut and when I reached about APL I had it evened up, which brought me back to collarbone. At the time I wasn't super anxious for it to be longer, so I didn't mind the setback. I just wanted to get a good foundation for growing it long again, rather than fixing it up as I went along.

I'd wait until you can manage a self-trim, then do it, because my experience was that the stylist cut quite a bit more than I wanted her to. (Then again, this particular stylist seemed incapable of cutting a straight line, so I had to go back to get it fixed when I noticed that one side had turned out shorter than the other one... So YMMV, if you have someone you trust then maybe you'd like to get it professionally done.)