PDA

View Full Version : What is a dime-sized amount???

Wusel
July 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM
On almost every cream, leave-in or exfoliant I have it's written "apply a dime-sized amount over entire face/entire hair from ear down...".
How much is this?
I'm from Germany and have NO IDEA and I'm pi**ed off again because I've ordered something new and AGAIN: "Apply a dime-sized amount...". What the heck...???!!!!

I'm so tired of trial&error, trying all possible amounts to find out how much works best...

Nymphony
July 19th, 2015, 12:59 AM
So dime-size is just a rough guideline for a small amount, based on the diameter of the Canadian/US 10 cent coin :) In a Canada, a dime's diameter is 18.03mm which can be compared to the diameter of a contact lense, the top of a chapstick, or even a cranberry. I hope that helps!

pailin
July 19th, 2015, 01:02 AM
I always find that confusing, and I'm used to dimes. A dime is a US ten-cent coin, and according to the US mint website, it's 0.705 inches, or 17.91mm, in diameter.
So not very much.

LadyStrange
July 19th, 2015, 01:03 AM
I think the dime is about the same size as the 1 cent Euro coin (€0.01).

Wusel
July 19th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Thank you very much. :)
I've measured one pump of my exfoliant and I know now that it didn't work because it's not enough to be a dime-sized amount. It's about two to two and a half pumps :) One pump is approximately a pea-sized amount, so dime-sized is something like a bit more than a double-pea-sized-amount?

Nymphony
July 19th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Thank you very much. :)
I've measured one pump of my exfoliant and I know now that it didn't work because it's not enough to be a dime-sized amount. It's about two to two and a half pumps :) One pump is approximately a pea-sized amount, so dime-sized is something like a bit more than a double-pea-sized-amount?

Yeah I would say a dime-sized amount is a little more than a double-pea-sized amount, so twoish pumps or whatever works best for your skin! :)

Nini
July 19th, 2015, 03:34 AM
But still, dime-sized is just a suggestion. Your hair/face might need more or less, depending on type and condition. Just saying :)

Wusel
July 19th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Yeah I would say a dime-sized amount is a little more than a double-pea-sized amount, so twoish pumps or whatever works best for your skin! :)

Thank you :)

But still, dime-sized is just a suggestion. Your hair/face might need more or less, depending on type and condition. Just saying :)

I've found out that a little less than dime-sized (almost two pumps of my exfoliant) is a good amount to cover my face enough and look decent and not too heavy under sunscreen and powder. Thank you :)

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I always find that confusing, and I'm used to dimes. A dime is a US ten-cent coin, and according to the US mint website, it's 0.705 inches, or 17.91mm, in diameter.
So not very much.

That would put it between a 1 ct coin & a 2 ct coin, according to this:
http://www.eurocoins.co.uk/eurocoinrelativesizes.html

Arctic
July 19th, 2015, 09:01 AM
That would put it between a 1 ct coin & a 2 ct coin, according to this:
http://www.eurocoins.co.uk/eurocoinrelativesizes.html

Ha ha, that wouldn't be helpful to me either, as in Finland the smallest coin generally in use is the 5 cent one :D I have never seen 1 or 2 cent Euros.

*ReiKa*
July 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Oh, FINALLY! I've always wondered what's a dime-sized amount as well! It's said litterally everywhere... and since I couldn't find any pictures of the real dimensions of a US 10 cent (never been in the USA... hopefully I'll travel to Florida very soon :) ), I still had no idea... but if it fits in between a 1cent & a 2cent EU coins then I got it figured out! :cheer:

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Ha ha, that wouldn't be helpful to me either, as in Finland the smallest coin generally in use is the 5 cent one :D I have never seen 1 or 2 cent Euros.

Then the 10 ct one would be the next up in line. ;)

You guys have never seen 1 or 2 cents? Ever? :)

spidermom
July 19th, 2015, 12:40 PM
A dime would pretty much cover my thumb nail.

meteor
July 19th, 2015, 12:49 PM
This picture (http://cs.fit.edu/~ryan/cse4051/projects/change/projCC.html) might be of help to folks who want to compare US coin sizes to EU coin sizes. ;)

I'm always confused about "dime-sized amount" for hair length, because if it had some effect when my hair was APL, it disappears into nothing on my current length. I need multiple "dime-sized amounts" and I'm sure lots and lots of other people do too. :)

Lauraes
July 19th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I'm from the US and I have a dumb question, when instructions say to use a dime (or quarter) sized amount, do they mean both in diameter and thickness? If I used that little product, it wouldn't even make a difference to my hair at all. :eek:

missrandie
July 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM
It's even confusing to me, so I just ignore their suggestions and use however much I darn well feel like! when I was little, I tried to follow the directions and mash the conditioner down until it was the size of a quarter. That never worked well :)

As an aside... you guys have TWO CENT coins? That's so cool!

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM
For LOC, I use about a 2 eurocoin's worth of product (yes, and in thickness ;)) for each product. It's more than enough for almost classic length hair.

missrandie
July 19th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I wonder if they figure in the thickness of the product when they suggest amounts like that? For instance, a dime sized amount of serum vs a dime sized amount of gel.. seems to me that they probably do, and that we should just worry about the diameter of the glob rather than the thickness.

Am I really over thinking this here? Methinks I am lol

Anje
July 19th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Heh, I was going to say it's roughly the size of a Pfennig, but realized no one uses those anymore. Haven't been to mainland Europe since before the € switch.

Aderyn
July 19th, 2015, 01:22 PM
A dime would pretty much cover my thumb nail.

I like using the thumb nail as a reference for size! :)

Marika
July 19th, 2015, 02:15 PM
You guys have never seen 1 or 2 cents? Ever? :)

Finland is so expensive that we have no use for 1 or 2 cent coins :D And 20 euros is the smallest bill you can get out of the ATMs because you get nothing for 5 or 10 euros (yes, I'm exaggerating a little bit). I've travelled all around Europe and I've gotten 1 cent coins only from Spain but then again I don't use cash that much when I'm travelling.

I've seen "use a pea sized amount' on many conditioner bottles which sounds like a joke to me :D

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Finland is so expensive that we have no use for 1 or 2 cent coins :D And 20 euros is the smallest bill you can get out of the ATMs because you get nothing for 5 or 10 euros (yes, I'm exaggerating a little bit). I've travelled all around Europe and I've gotten 1 cent coins only from Spain but then again I don't use cash that much when I'm travelling.

I've seen "use a pea sized amount' on many conditioner bottles which sounds like a joke to me :D

Here the smallest bill out of an ATM is 5 euro (the ATM in our bank). It's normally automatically dispersing 20 & 50 euro bills, but you can select a personal choice and divide the bills and tell the machine what denominations you need. It's really cool. My mom uses it all the time (and then tells me about it at length :lol:)!