PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of red/purple semi-permanent dye? Plus a tragic hair journey with pics!

kmarie99
July 18th, 2015, 04:43 PM
TL;DR: Silly girl removed black dye from her hair and damaged it. Dyed it with red and purple semi's to cover the shame. Not the semi's wont come out, help?

So, I have a sad story about a fool for you guys. I finally reached my goal of waist length hair in February. My hair was a little damaged because it was dyed black, but it was holding up alright with frequent S&D. :D
Well, I couldn't settle for that. I wanted my natural color which is either light brown or dark blonde. And I wanted it ASAP! As you probably know, getting hair from dyed black to any other color is terribly unhealthy, especially if done quickly. In a two month process, I went from having waist length black hair, to bra strap length yellow hair, to collarbone red and purple hair. The red was manic panic, the purple was adore mixed with special effects.
So here I am with multicolor collarbone length hair. :(
I REALLY want to get rid of the red and purple tones at the ends of my hair. Part of my roots is grow out and part of it is where the dye didn't stick for whatever reason. It's been two months since I last dyed it with a semi. Please tell me there is hope for me. My hair is growing pretty quick because it grows better when it is hot out for whatever reason.
Here is a little pic journey:
http://i.imgur.com/irmjNZH.jpg
I started here.
http://i.imgur.com/zdDlJZ3.jpg
The result of color remover and bleach.
http://i.imgur.com/Vwrp1q2.jpg
Cut off damage and bright red!
http://i.imgur.com/zKcnNM4.jpg
Put purple over the red!
http://i.imgur.com/AhQHzZc.jpg
And now my hair is the ickiest color.
http://i.imgur.com/6SXRAmm.jpg
Bonus pic of unwanted ombre.

Bindi
July 18th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Google the vitamin c hair color remover method. Super easy and it works ... although for red/purple you will probably have to repeat several times. It is not damaging (that I know of) but very drying so follow up with your favorite moisturizing treatment.

kmarie99
July 18th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Google the vitamin c hair color remover method. Super easy and it works ... although for red/purple you will probably have to repeat several times. It is not damaging (that I know of) but very drying so follow up with your favorite moisturizing treatment.
Sorry, I should've clarified. I've done the vitamin c method twice and I did a mild bleach bath with the lowest volume developer once. My hair is really clinging onto the red/purple for dear life!
Do you think I can get it out with repeat attempts and not totally ruin my hair?

Asrai
July 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I believe that colour removers are supposed to be decent at getting red tones out. Clarify really well first, then towel dry & apply the remover. When it's time to rinse, make sure not so skimp on the rinsing time; with colour removers you can end up with redarkening if you don't rinse enough. I usually do a good 20 minutes of rinsing with a couple of shampoos just to make sure the pigment is really rinsed out. So long as you make sure to get a colour remover like Color Fix or Color Oops, there will be no damage, you'll just want a deep moisturizer to balance out all the rinsing. Once you've gotten as much of the red out as possible, I'd recommend trying an ash based brown semi over the top. The ash tones with neutralize any remaining red tones in the hair & by using a semi you can avoid any more damage.

meteor
July 18th, 2015, 05:37 PM
:grouphug: Hugs to you! I'm not sure if it's still safe to use after so many different treatments, but I think Color Oops / Color B4 color remover (without peroxide) is the best first step for removing old dye... Sometimes it needs to be done twice or even 3 times, and it always needs to be rinsed a lot. I hope others will jump in on this with more advice...

However, at this stage I would probably just focus on restoring the condition of hair as much as possible:
- lots of penetrating oils for pre-poo oiling (e.g. coconut oil);
- protein reconstructors/treatments (e.g. Joico K-Pak, Aphogee 2-step, gelatin DIY mask...);
- masks/conditioners with ceramides and other ingredients useful for chemically treated hair...

All the best to you! :flower: I hope your hair will recover and grow long and strong! :D

Alien Girl
July 19th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Oh nooo D: What removing method was used? I've ALWAYS has good results with Color Oops. I dyed my hair PITCH BLACK last spring and it looked so fake and like a wig. Using Color Oops twice made my hair a coppery brown.

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I don't quite get how you went from the bleached hair to the purple if you said you wanted your original color back. Well... it's too late now. I'd just call it quits and let it grow out, TBH. I think that would be the safest bet to not losing more hair.

nakima
July 21st, 2015, 07:33 PM
I agree with Lapushka. Leave it alone and let it get healthy again before doing any more damage. Deep condition,no heat,no brushing while wet etc all of LHC's rules :) good luck!

spidermom
July 21st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Be really nice to your hair. Give it deep treatments and handle it gently. The dye will more than likely continue to fade a little bit at a time until it is gone, but it may take a long time. Be patient and do regular small trims.

Anje
July 21st, 2015, 09:40 PM
What are you washing with? I keep hearing that dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders is particularly effective at fading dyes out fast, including bright semis. Seems like it'd be an easy thing to try.

TwilightShadow
July 21st, 2015, 11:36 PM
I used ColorB4 to remove faded Manic Panic from my hair and it worked quite well for me. You have to follow the instructions and wash at least 15 minutes overall if you want it to be effective, though.

Luminaria
July 22nd, 2015, 05:19 AM
I have a similar story.
I dyed my dark brown hair a dark plum color a few months back. It faded to a color like yours. I tried Color Oops and Vitamin C to get rid of that color. These methods removed a little bit of the red and lightened my hair to a medium reddish brown color. I got tired of the terrible color and its orange glow. So, I henndigoed it black. I'm much happier with my hair color now.
What color do you want your hair to be now?
If you want darker hair, try henndigo.
If you want your hair lighter, try the vitamin C method. It takes off a little red at a time, so you will have to use it for awhile to see results. You could also try lightening your hair with honey.

Nellon
July 22nd, 2015, 05:33 AM
Well, I'd say your not in such a bad spot. You might be panicking a bit for no real good reason here. Why don't you baby your hair, as has been said, oil it, and leave it be... And keep washing it and trying to get as much colour out as you can. After having done that and left it alone for a month or two maybe you could go to a really good hairdresser and have them put a demi/semi or whatever it's called in a colour close to your own natural one on, and you'll be set to grow-. I'm sure you'll figure it out, but just give it time for the condition of your hair to be a bit restored and for the colour to fade. That's what I'd do anyway :) I'm sure in a month or two it won't look so bad at all, the roots will have grown a bit more, and you can put it up and forget about it.

ETA: I'd go buy a nice fake hair paranda in a matching colour eventually and braid it in to not be so sad about the condition of the hair and over the loss of length while it grows as well :)

kmarie99
July 23rd, 2015, 07:48 PM
So I did the Vitamin C treatment two times since this post.
Sooo much of the red has came out, I guess I just hadn't done it enough to see good results. My hair is now a coppery brown on the ends which is just fine for growing out my natural color.
Hopefully with lots of TLC I can be at APL all around by the end of this year!