PDA

View Full Version : Considering cutting my hair because of sports

Mononoke
July 18th, 2015, 04:00 AM
Recently I'm contemplating on whether I should get a haircut. I do a lot of sports, mainly tennis (playing every day). My hair is waist length, and if not for factors such as the one in question, my goal length would have been hip.
As it is, my hair gets at least partially wet because of sweating (I prefer to wash it with water-only after every practice, however), so it's a bit annoying when I need to go to work like that.
I suppose that if I do cut it, it would be to somewhere between shoulder and APL.
Has anyone here encountered similar situations? What did you end up doing about it?

Ares
July 18th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I usually just throw it in a quick braid when doing something active.

Nique1202
July 18th, 2015, 05:32 AM
If your concern is going to work with wet hair, then why not get a hair dryer with a low temperature setting (if you can hold your hand in the stream, it won't damage your hair) and use that after your post-workout wash? Alternatively, a single braid is plenty professional and looks good when the hair is wet or dry.

Neelie
July 18th, 2015, 05:48 AM
defo don't do it OMG! T_T
there are so many different styles and options for sport! its just a matter of going through a few and seeing for yourself which suit you and your lifestyle best! it only takes a MINUTES to put hair up, it takes YEARS to grow them...

Aderyn
July 18th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Have you done any bunning/braiding before/during/after tennis practice? Buns and braids typically look fine when wet.

lapushka
July 18th, 2015, 06:57 AM
There are many high ranking women tennis players with at least BSL hair. Can't think of names right now, but braided styles and ponytails are definitely *in*.

omega
July 18th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I did the opposite and chose healthy hair over daily swim workouts. Could never find the perfect swim cap(s).

browneyedsusan
July 18th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I get sweaty daily too. Either at work--a physically demanding job--, at my kettlebell class, or going outside--Indiana has hot, humid summers. For me, I prefer my hair longer, and it's worth the hassle of dealing with it.
Figure out what you want from your hair. If it isn't making you happy, you need to change something. I see from your avatar, that you've had it shorter before. Did you like it better then?

kidari
July 18th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I would just use dry shampoo afterwards. If you are concerned your roots look oily and don't want to use dry shampoo, a sleek bun really works. It not only hides the greasy roots but it makes the updo look and work better. If I'm concerned my hair might smell like it needs to be shampooed, putting it in a bun solves that problem for me since I feel like you can really only smell it if it's down.

meteor
July 18th, 2015, 09:51 AM
With your hair length, it's totally doable. No need to worry!
I think when hair gets past TBL and is heavy it can get problematic, but even then there are ways around it. :)

If the problem with the braid is length, then I'd suggest knotting the braid a couple times to make it shorter or else, use Plaitception technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTnA0EvueCM).

If the problem is that hair is still escaping the braid around your face, then do 1 or 2 or 3 mini braids from temple/hairline area and then incorporate them into the main braid. Or do Dutch/French braid. :)

And for washing, look into scalp-only washes: you can hold the same braid (wrapped in plastic cap/bag) away from the shower stream and wash only your scalp with one hand with heavily diluted shampoo. It's pretty easy and leaves hair dry and easy to style afterwards.