PDA

View Full Version : My hair + shedding.

Coffee.and
July 17th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Coffee& and I'm 28 years old. In the last 3 months or so I've had major shedding, and the reason remains unknown for now (blood panel came just fine, am waiting to check my hormones). I really love my hair and I hope the shedding will stop. It always was thin. I think my hair is 1a\1b, as well. So, at the moment I'm using Caffeine shampoo and taking special vitamins, and also trying to take smaller doses of my meds.

Anyway, I'd like to show you guys my hair. Most of it is virgin hair, there's still some bleach on the tips, but I'm gonna trim them. It's been in a braid before the picture was taken, so it's more wavy than usual. Hope you don't find this picture offending (it shows my hair best). Would like to have some input and advice, thanks in advance.

http://i61.tinypic.com/muqv.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
July 17th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Welcome to LHC! :) Your hair is really pretty! I'm sorry to hear you have been shedding a lot of hair. Have you had any stressful times, say around three months ago? That can cause major shedding (it happened to me) and also losing weight quickly can lead to an increase in shedding as well.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution - in the meantime, eat healthy, drink plenty of water, have some protein and some exercise most days.

Oh, and your hair doesn't look very thin to me :)

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 04:05 AM
First of all: welcome.

Secondly, what types of meds are you taking, and could *they* possibly have an effect on the shedding? I wouldn't just take smaller doses if your doctor is unaware, though, so do talk to him/her first, please?

Coffee.and
July 17th, 2015, 05:54 AM
You can see the thinning in my scalp, it's quite noticable, which is scary. :< And the meds I'm on are Seroquel, Zoloft and Klonopin. Trying to reduce the dosage. My doctor is aware and is fully supportive of this step, so it's quite alright. It is said to me it might me the meds, and also stress. Thank you all for your kind comments. :>

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 07:25 AM
You can see the thinning in my scalp, it's quite noticable, which is scary. :< And the meds I'm on are Seroquel, Zoloft and Klonopin. Trying to reduce the dosage. My doctor is aware and is fully supportive of this step, so it's quite alright. It is said to me it might me the meds, and also stress. Thank you all for your kind comments. :>

I could be mistaken, but can't those meds cause hair loss to an extent? It's good you're giving feedback to your doctor and that s/he's supportive.

Coffee.and
July 17th, 2015, 10:53 AM
It might be the Seroquel, and I'm slowly lowering the dosage, so far so good, no weird mood swings\side effects.

meteor
July 17th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Coffee.and, I don't know what could be causing shedding - definitely discuss it with your doctor and do all the necessary tests (thyroid hormones, ferritin levels are some of the common issues, just to give a small example). But I also want to reassure you a bit :) : I don't see any thinning at all. :D I think your hair looks beautiful and very thick. What I see at the very ends is just some taper, very consistent with old bleach treatments. And I think it's pretty inevitable for bleach to have that effect on ends, unfortunately.

You might want to baby those ends with regular oiling (as often as they appear dry), sleeping on silky materials, putting hair up (and tucking those ends in to protect them better), until the next trim.

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 03:16 PM
[B]But I also want to reassure you a bit :) : I don't see any thinning at all. :D I think your hair looks beautiful and very thick. What I see at the very ends is just some taper, very consistent with old bleach treatments. And I think it's pretty inevitable for bleach to have that effect on ends, unfortunately.

I definitely agree with meteor! :) You've got very pretty hair!

Wusel
July 18th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Um... your hair covers your whole torso like Cousin Itt and you say it's thin? :D

You have beautiful thick hair, so don't worry.