PDA

View Full Version : So...What is the easiest and least damaging way to bun hair when spin pins just >>

kysgrl
July 15th, 2015, 10:34 PM
don't work and you can't braid worth a darn. I just want to messy(ish) bun for the most part. Don't really like any of the intricate styles on myself.

Beatrixity
July 15th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I've found that hair sticks are the best! I have APL hair so it takes me a couple tries to get my hair to stay, but a single hair stick does the trick for me. I bought an ebony JWL whirlwind (spiral) hairstick and was pleasantly surprised when I got another stick (this one being normal) as a gift! I've found that the regular stick one works just fine and I use it every day and have gone elastic free since. Plus, the feeling of taking the stick out and letting my hair loose is pretty unbeatable. ;) Hope this helps. :)

synchrostatic
July 15th, 2015, 11:13 PM
A cinnamon bun or nautilus bun held with a stick or fork is usually my go to for when I don't feel like fiddling with it. It's pretty easy to find information on how to do them though.

Though spin pins hold pretty well on cinammon buns for me. Are you sure you're catching scalp hair with them when you're inserting them? Also be sure that you're doing it from opposite sides of the bun as well. I know it took me a long time to figure out how to work them right.

kysgrl
July 15th, 2015, 11:28 PM
A cinnamon bun or nautilus bun held with a stick or fork is usually my go to for when I don't feel like fiddling with it. It's pretty easy to find information on how to do them though.

Though spin pins hold pretty well on cinammon buns for me. Are you sure you're catching scalp hair with them when you're inserting them? Also be sure that you're doing it from opposite sides of the bun as well. I know it took me a long time to figure out how to work them right.

Yeah Im sure. I have like (............ ) this much hair on my head. So sad :(

Marika
July 15th, 2015, 11:37 PM
I don't like spin pins. I feel like they are ripping my hair but my hair is very fine. I use a simple hair fork (not too long) most of the time because forks hold better than sticks (my hair is very slippery). My favourite buns are a nautilus, cinnamon bun and lazy wrap bun. They are all really easy and fast to do but then again they aren't that messy if that's what you want.

Nymphony
July 15th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Maybe try sock buns or scrunchies? They're both pretty easy to use :)

Nini
July 16th, 2015, 05:14 AM
I like the look of messy buns, but my hair refuse to stay up in them. I need a certain amount of tension to keep it contained, otherwise it just slides out.

Although I can get a somewhat messy bun to stay up with Ficcare max'es or Ficcarissimo's. These aren't likely to last the day though since it's difficult to balance them right and they end up pulling on something.

lapushka
July 16th, 2015, 07:21 AM
The key things here seem to be forgotten. How long and thick is your hair?

Aderyn
July 16th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Ah, yes, I imagine length and thickness is quite an important thing to know! :laugh:

If you want a messier bun, you could try doing a normal bun that people here tend to do (nautilus, disc, knot, lwb, etc.), leave the ends hanging out and then pin them around the bun to give it a messier look. Curling the hair (via a heat free method) would also help with the tousled-messy look. If your hair is long enough for those buns, at least, even if you have to do a sectioned bun. :)

Anje
July 16th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I can't get spin pins to work for me (OK, mine aren't that brand, but I've had them for ages and feel like my experiences indicate the new ones won't work either). They're good for a lot of folks, but not for everyone. I'm generally in the hairstick crowd.

Echoing "how long and thick is your hair?" questions, because that'll affect what you can and can't do. That said, this is my go-to bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LWSGiDBbk) and it works for a huge range of lengths from "able to wrap around once and have a little tail sticking up" to something longer than mine is now.

Also, work on the braiding. It helps to be able to whip one up quick, and "can't do them now" doesn't mean you'll be forever hopeless. Just start with braiding a ponytail.

meteor
July 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Hair sticks are awesome for pinning down buns. This quick video by torrinpaige shows it well :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE

vpatt
July 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM
That was so easy and I just tried it....it works even on my TWB! Another thing that works for me is the Bandette French Twist comb from Wal-Mart......same twisted bun and put the comb in the same way she did the sticks. It really holds my hair great....not sure it will be the greatest on large buns, tho.

kysgrl
July 16th, 2015, 11:27 PM
I like the look of messy buns, but my hair refuse to stay up in them. I need a certain amount of tension to keep it contained, otherwise it just slides out.

Although I can get a somewhat messy bun to stay up with Ficcare max'es or Ficcarissimo's. These aren't likely to last the day though since it's difficult to balance them right and they end up pulling on something.
Yeah, unfortunately the ficare is too heavy for my hair. I have luck with the plastic versions of it though!

kysgrl
July 16th, 2015, 11:28 PM
The key things here seem to be forgotten. How long and thick is your hair? Past bsl. The very tips reaching waist. Baby fine and thin.

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Past bsl. The very tips reaching waist. Baby fine and thin.

You could probably get away with most buns then! Lazy wrap bun, the nautilus, disc bun, cinnabun, it's all within reach. Great news! :D

JustPam
July 17th, 2015, 07:27 AM
When i use spin pins i dont really grab much scalp hair with them. I ponytail with a hairtie first and screw the pins through the hairtie.

Kaelbu
July 17th, 2015, 08:55 AM
My hair is about the same length as yours, OP, and pretty slippery. (I should also add that I've never had much luck with up-do's. I've been using an octopus clip to incase my whole bun because I usually can't make anything else stay put.)
I just tried a lazy wrap bun with success! First time it's ever stayed in my hair! I don't even have a hair stick... I used a pencil.

I've been having the same issues with spin pins for a while now. A long time ago I had APL hair and could use them with all-day hold. Since then I've cut and grown and done lots of different things to my hair, but it's probably in better condition than it was then. When my hair was growing from collarbone-length, I thought it just wasn't long enough for spin pins yet. But now that I'm close to waist, they still won't hold. They slip right out. The hair tie trick JustPam mentioned would probably help if you're set on using spin pins! The point of them, for me, though, was to substitute a hair tie.

I hope you find something that works!