PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair nightmare

prettyhairisred
July 15th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Hey guys,
I was hoping some of you could help me with product suggestions for my nightmare haïr. It is very fine, very dry, very long and very wavy with some curls. The problem is because it's so fine, it tends to let product build up very easily so moisturizng things make it look greasy. I'm using Burts Bees conditioner right now and it's honestly a nightmare. When I put leave ins and such it can get to the point where people wonder if my haïr is dirty while touching it. My haïr isn't very oily at all, the problem is just that products weigh it down and leave residue. On the other hand, my haïr is still very dry so when I don't condition it frizzes everywhere and is just generally dry af. I really hate how almost curry my haïr is, because that contributes to the unmanagebleness as I need defining product yet don't want the nightmare of oversaturation. I was just hoping other people with fine haïr and such could give me some product suggestions!!!! Please pretty please! I am honestly at my wits end. I love long haïr but I'm wondering if just cutting it off would help. I tried to use natural products for the longest time but I'm starting to think maybe I need sulfates and silicones.

Aderyn
July 15th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Have you clarified your hair recently?

meteor
July 15th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Yes, if hair feels dirty right after washing it and the hair is unmanageable, I'd definitely clarify. Sometimes you need to clarify more than once to remove some stubborn build-up.

Also, some "natural" commercial products contain waxes and botanical extracts that can build up pretty fast on some hair types, especially if the hair is very fine, so yes, I would experiment with standard sulfate-y/cone-y products and see how your hair works on that regimen...
Products marketed for fine or thin hair, "thickening", "volumizing" products might be a good starting point, if you are afraid of build-up and your hair is extremely easy to weigh down.
And always check the ingredients before you commit, of course. :D

dancingrain91
July 15th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I am not sure where you live or what product suggestions might actually help you. I have thick long fine hair with dry ends and oily roots. I have used and liked the Giovanni and Aveeno sulphate free shampoos but I double clarify monthly with Suave Daily Clarifying followed by a mask with Loreal. I am currently using Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Conditioner and the Loreal Mega Moisture mask every wash in the WCC method Lapushka uses. I like Rusk Sensories Leave in and my current shampoo is AG Fast Food. I guess my routine has gotten a bit more expensive but it seems to work way better with my water and hair. I would double clarify and use less leave in. There are many users with fine hair on this forum. Others that come to mind are Lapushka and Harpgal and their routines and products are quite different from mine even though on paper we have similiar hair.

magicatt
July 15th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I have fine hair that gets dry but also is easily weighed down by conditioners. I have switched to using California Baby Super Sensitive shampoo and no conditioner at all. It's sulfate-free (made with quinoa and soap bark), has protein (the quinoa) and has jojoba oil. I find that it keeps my hair super clean so nothing looks weighed down but it doesn't get frizzy because the jojoba is enough to keep it from being dry. Obviously, YMMV.

endlessly
July 15th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Burt's Bees hair products never worked for me either, so you aren't alone! From the sounds of it, if you really are having such a bad problem with buildup or your hair looking greasy quickly, you might need products containing sulfates. Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar at all? That can help give your hair back some bounce and remove any excess oil/product buildup without completely stripping your hair - just make sure to dilute it so it isn't too acidic. My hair is on the thicker side, but individual strands are a combination of coarse, thick, and fine. I use products from Lush for my hair since they provide me with just enough moisture without weighing my hair down. My current favorite is a shampoo bar called "Lullaby" that contains oat milk and lavender. It does contain sulfates, but it feels very gentle on the scalp and hair, so it definitely leaves me feeling clean, but doesn't leave my hair stripped. All of their conditioners are silicone-free, though, but I use one called "Veganese" since it's very lightweight, but still leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and silky. I cannot recommend their products enough since I honestly feel they've saved my hair, but sometimes they're not for everyone. If you have a shop nearby, I suggest stopping in and asking for a few samples to try out first. In my experience, if you ask for a sample, they've always been more than willing to help you out! Best of luck!

renia22
July 16th, 2015, 07:35 AM
My hair is fine, and with the exception of a few products (Aubrey Organics volumizing camomile conditioner), I do much better with plain, drugstore shampoos and conditioners without all of the natural oils & butters that most "natural" products contain. Generally speaking, I find those types of products leave residue, are too heavy for my hair, build up, and don't detangle very well. Some that I use regularly and don't have an issue with are Herbal Essences Smooth Collection, Pantene Aqua Light shampoo & conditioner, Pantene Detoxifying shampoo, Finesse Texturizing shampoo & conditioner., and Infusium 23 Miracle Therapy (for when my hair feels dry). L'Oreal's Nutri- Gloss shampoo & conditioner are also very nice. I agree with the suggestion to clarify first, I would definitely do that .

lapushka
July 16th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I have F hair as well, and wash/clarify weekly. Also conditioner only goes on from ear down - that I find is key for oil-prone hair. It makes it manageable. My Holy Grail conditioner is the Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences. It is a great detangler and doesn't weigh hair down, I find at least. The WCC method that was talked about earlier is in my signature, should you wonder or be interested. :) My favorite shampoo is the Pantene Aqua Light (sulfates but no silicones).

Aderyn
July 16th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Most "natural" products don't have silicones in them, hence the lack of as much slipperiness as you can get with silicones. It can take a bit more products or a bit more effort to find a cone-free product to give good slip.

All products leave a residue (aside from a clarifier, I guess), it's just a matter of what you're used to.

i.e. I use coney products and I feel like my hair is coated in plastic and weighed down like nobodies business, I use my mom's shampoo/conditioner and I feel like my hair just doesn't feel very nourished, doesn't lay or feel right, my mom uses my products and she feels like it leaves a film on her hair, but I use my products and I love the softness, shine, manageability and weightlessness.

My hair is fine and low porosity for reference. :)

Kendrix
July 16th, 2015, 08:00 AM
I second the acv suggestion. I have the same buildup problem and my hair wont tolerate any oil but jojoba so far.
Acv keeps the buildup down a bit, but because I have the same problem as you, leave ins are a nono. Right now I am really liking the Sheamoisture African blacksoap shampoo for regular washes and a random sulfate containing product for clarifying (usually garnier)