PDA

View Full Version : hair streak?

LeMimi13
July 15th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Hello!
For about three years, Ive had two glued in hair extensions thay I keep changing. I've haf them done in blue, pink and purple. Theyre somewhat thin.
I want them out of my hair to get rid of tangle, so I want to dye that same streak. My problem is that I don"t know how thick it should be and how the roots will look. Should I do it on the top layer, bottom? Opinions?
I have virgin blondette hair tjat gets much lighter from yhe ears down.. I want my streak done in blue.. Any opinions?
Do I need bleach? What do i need?

Wusel
July 15th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Thank you for opening this thread!!!
I want to do the same to replace my clip-in streak in ferrari-red!!!
So, same question from Wusel!!! :)

pastina
July 15th, 2015, 02:37 PM
In terms of placement, well, that's up to you. If you're not looking for something you need to maintain and are worried about roots, i'd suggest a piece of hair behind your ear. Roots there are less noticeable. Another option is sectioning off a piece at your nape and coloring THAT (or, if you're bolder, I used to put my hair into a half up and dye everything left loose), so you have peekaboo color.

OP-- To achieve blue you'd need a lighter base than blondette, so, yes, you'd need bleach.

Wusel-- Red is easier to achieve without pre-lightening. It depends on your virgin color and the dye you want to use.

Becs
July 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I'm obviously not as knowledgable as Pastina, but I can speak a bit from my own experience. I have one streak in my hair that i've had since last October I believe. I decided to do it at the nape of my neck because it's not super noticeable there, but still gives a nice pop of color. Also, roots aren't really noticeable at all when it's in that location, so I'd recommend it for that reason. As far as color...I myself wanted purple, and I used manic panic Deep Purple Dream. It's a nice deep rich purple color which I love. I have what I would classify as dirty blonde hair, I didn't use bleach, and it turned out very nicely on my virgin hair. However, it sounds like your hair might be slightly darker than mine, and if Pastina says you should use bleach, I would listen to her on that. She's quite an expert on having awesome colored hair

Aleahcim
July 15th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I think if you would need to bleach would depend on what shade of blue you were looking for. A dark blue may be successful on your natural hair colour .

I used to use manic panic to put fun streaks in my hair when I was in high school, although that was over bleached parts because I didn't think about useing it over virgin hair. I was 14 ish and I thought it was best to follow the instructions of the box and the adults helping me. I do remember a time when I was putting blue colour in my hair, I was lazy and in a rush since I had a Easter dinner to attend later that day, I just roughly covered all of my bangs and front portion of my hair (thats where I had my bleached sections). it gave me a 2 toned blue look, the dark parts a midnight blue, the light ones almost teal.

If you wanted a bright teal blue, I would agree that bleaching would be necessary.

You can always try a vegetable dye such as manic panic (or whatever Pastina suggests, in terms of bright colours and dying, I would trust her advice) without bleaching first, if it is not what you are looking for you can either wait for it to wash out a little, or opt for bleaching. As I figure, if you try it on virgin hair and don't like it you can always let it fade or bleach, no harm done, but if you go for bleach right away, no reversing it.

Either way, I'm sure that you will get some great advice! I've read Pastina posts of advice to other members who have asked about bleach and dying bright colours, all very informative helpful and friendly. Our Queen of Pink is an expert. :)

LeMimi13
July 16th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Thank you so much about your answers!
I'm sorry I don't know much about this, but what do you mean by dyes that fade? Do they change the actual base colour after they fade? I know barelu anything about hair dying (Im 16..)

Wusel
July 16th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you, pastina.
What I exactly want is this: http://nobe.inpreparation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Imelda-May-pic1.jpg.
I'm not sure about the red, maybe I stay with this blonde color.
Can you give me an advice how to achieve this at home? I have absolutely no idea as my hair is virgin since the day of my birth.
Or better let a professional hairstylist do it?
I grow out my bangs because of this. And I'm very good in doing victory rolls, I wear them quite often on other parts of my head.

LeMimi13
July 17th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Btw.. How can i make it last? i went to a salon today and was told it would fade after two washes and Id have to bleach it first.

pastina
July 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM
LeMimi, you would need to bleach first. Blue is one of the harder colors to achieve because it won't be blue unless your base is light enough- it is very easy to make it look muddy. When I was your age, I tried to put a blue dye over my light brown hair without bleaching, and it showed up, but I had someone tell me that it looked like bird poop. :rolleyes:

Think about semi permanent dyes like cellophane. Whatever color you use, your base will show through a bit. And as the dyes fade, it's like the layer of cellophane gets thinner, and more of your base color will show through. I'm not sure what type of blue you want, and as Aleahcim correctly pointed out, different colors require different bases. A very deep blue will cover with no issue, but it will go murky as it fades. A royal blue will probably be ok, too, since your hair is light, but will most likely start out looking a bit greener than you want, and get even greener as it fades. But I really doubt a sky blue, light blue or aqua will give you the results you want, even over blondette hair, unless your base is pre-lightened.

Deep purples and reds are more forgiving colors and seem to yield the best results over virgin hair.

In terms of fading-- yes. Semis will fade very slightly with each wash, and they last longer on pre-lightened hair. Blue will fade faster than other colors... not sure really as to why that is, but it's been true with every blue I've used over the years. (But, let me know what type of blue you want. I might be able to recommend a product for you that will last LONGER. Are you in the US?) Plus, there are tricks to getting your semipermanent color to last longer than expected, from actual dying techniques to things as simple as washing with cool water.

**Disclaimer: **I'm about to give at-home bleaching advice, but I usually do this via pm, since there are a lot of factors to consider when giving this type of advice. Wusel is looking to do a single strip of hair, and her hair is 100% virgin. So, if you are not Wusel and you're thinking about bleaching, don't just follow these instructions, pm me first. Please. I might have different advice to offer you, specific to your hair, and what you're trying to achieve.**

Wusel, you will definitely need to bleach out for that effect. Very cool, by the way! If you're planning to do it at home, I'd suggest a one-time, straight bleach to lighten.

Coconut oil the heck out of several day dirty hair-- the dirtier the better. You'll need a packet of bleach powder (look for something that is blue, like quick blue) and a small bottle of cream developer, 20 volume, mixing in a 1:1 ratio. Use a non-metal bowl for this, and non-metal mixing utensil (i use chopsticks, lol!) and don't forget gloves. Section off the piece you'd like to lighten, and tightly clip back all the rest of your hair to keep it out of the way. You can apply a thin layer of vaseline to the adjacent hair that you don't want to lift-- it'll provide some protection, but be warned-- it's a pain in the butt to rinse out.

Apply the mixture to the strip of hair very carefully, using a tint brush. And... that's basically it. Keep an eye on it as it processes-- You don't want the bleach to dry out, so saran wrap or a shower cap is your friend. Don't process longer than is recommended on the bleach packet you purchased. You can periodically wipe a bit of the mixture away to see how light your hair is getting, and if further lightening is required, just apply more mixture to that spot.

Now, if you're looking to go red, you don't need your hair to go that light with the bleach, and you can rinse out when your hair is still gingery. Don't apply conditioner of any kind and let the hair dry. You'll want a pink-based red to counteract the ginger of your bleached streak, and add a little bit of protein conditioner into the dye. Apply to the strip, then pin the strip up (tiny claw clips are my favorite for this) and cover with a shower cap and leave it for as long as you can stand to leave it. The longer the better. When you're ready, rinse out with cool water.

If you're looking to keep the strip blonde, you'll need to process longer (past ginger and into the yellow stages-- NEVER past inside-of-a-banana yellow!), and you'll likely need to tone with purple shampoo.

Wusel
July 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM
LeMimi, you would need to bleach first. Blue is one of the harder colors to achieve because it won't be blue unless your base is light enough- it is very easy to make it look muddy. When I was your age, I tried to put a blue dye over my light brown hair without bleaching, and it showed up, but I had someone tell me that it looked like bird poop. :rolleyes:

Think about semi permanent dyes like cellophane. Whatever color you use, your base will show through a bit. And as the dyes fade, it's like the layer of cellophane gets thinner, and more of your base color will show through. I'm not sure what type of blue you want, and as Aleahcim correctly pointed out, different colors require different bases. A very deep blue will cover with no issue, but it will go murky as it fades. A royal blue will probably be ok, too, since your hair is light, but will most likely start out looking a bit greener than you want, and get even greener as it fades. But I really doubt a sky blue, light blue or aqua will give you the results you want, even over blondette hair, unless your base is pre-lightened.

Deep purples and reds are more forgiving colors and seem to yield the best results over virgin hair.

In terms of fading-- yes. Semis will fade very slightly with each wash, and they last longer on pre-lightened hair. Blue will fade faster than other colors... not sure really as to why that is, but it's been true with every blue I've used over the years. (But, let me know what type of blue you want. I might be able to recommend a product for you that will last LONGER. Are you in the US?) Plus, there are tricks to getting your semipermanent color to last longer than expected, from actual dying techniques to things as simple as washing with cool water.

**Disclaimer: **I'm about to give at-home bleaching advice, but I usually do this via pm, since there are a lot of factors to consider when giving this type of advice. Wusel is looking to do a single strip of hair, and her hair is 100% virgin. So, if you are not Wusel and you're thinking about bleaching, don't just follow these instructions, pm me first. Please. I might have different advice to offer you, specific to your hair, and what you're trying to achieve.**

Wusel, you will definitely need to bleach out for that effect. Very cool, by the way! If you're planning to do it at home, I'd suggest a one-time, straight bleach to lighten.

Coconut oil the heck out of several day dirty hair-- the dirtier the better. You'll need a packet of bleach powder (look for something that is blue, like quick blue) and a small bottle of cream developer, 20 volume, mixing in a 1:1 ratio. Use a non-metal bowl for this, and non-metal mixing utensil (i use chopsticks, lol!) and don't forget gloves. Section off the piece you'd like to lighten, and tightly clip back all the rest of your hair to keep it out of the way. You can apply a thin layer of vaseline to the adjacent hair that you don't want to lift-- it'll provide some protection, but be warned-- it's a pain in the butt to rinse out.

Apply the mixture to the strip of hair very carefully, using a tint brush. And... that's basically it. Keep an eye on it as it processes-- You don't want the bleach to dry out, so saran wrap or a shower cap is your friend. Don't process longer than is recommended on the bleach packet you purchased. You can periodically wipe a bit of the mixture away to see how light your hair is getting, and if further lightening is required, just apply more mixture to that spot.

Now, if you're looking to go red, you don't need your hair to go that light with the bleach, and you can rinse out when your hair is still gingery. Don't apply conditioner of any kind and let the hair dry. You'll want a pink-based red to counteract the ginger of your bleached streak, and add a little bit of protein conditioner into the dye. Apply to the strip, then pin the strip up (tiny claw clips are my favorite for this) and cover with a shower cap and leave it for as long as you can stand to leave it. The longer the better. When you're ready, rinse out with cool water.

If you're looking to keep the strip blonde, you'll need to process longer (past ginger and into the yellow stages-- NEVER past inside-of-a-banana yellow!), and you'll likely need to tone with purple shampoo.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, pastina!!!

Wusel
July 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, pastina!!! :) :) :)

pastina
July 18th, 2015, 02:50 PM
You're welcome! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

FireFromWithin
July 19th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I used a vegetable dye like manic panic (but not, I can't remember exactly) to colour my ends blue a while back. On the virgin hair it faded fairly quickly but on the bleached parts it lasted near enough a year fading slowly. I'm probably more mid-blonde though. But initially there was no colour difference in the blue between the bleached and virgin hair, starting at a bright mid-blue and fading out through teal.