PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Disaster! And other queries.

Bexille
July 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Hey all. Thanks to LHC, I've decided to finally embrace my hair's natural texture and give up on the quest for volume, seeking smoothness and shine instead. My straight, fine hair is prone to tangles and I'd really like to combat that more than anything.

So, I needed to buy shampoo last week and decided on Live Clean's "exotic silk - keratin oil smoothing shampoo" (and conditioner), both of which promised "smooth lustre and silky movement and shine." Ha! After one use, my hair has literally never been so tangled and rough. It's absolutely horrible. I suspect, based on what I've read here, that the protein in the shampoo may be to blame? Is that possible after only one use? I'm not sure what I should do (other than return the unused portion and try something else...)

I did have more luck with the vinegar rinse I tried a couple of weeks ago. It made my hair very soft, and I could run my fingers through it with ease! I did notice a lot of flyaways/fuzz, though, like a halo around my hair, and I was wondering if there's any way to remedy that. Also, how often can I do the vinegar rinse? Has anyone experimented with using it in a spray bottle as a leave-in?

Anyway, this shampoo disaster makes me really feel like I've made a wrong turn, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction! Thanks!

wilderwein
July 15th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Yes it is possible! I have a conditioner with protein in it, and everytime in my family we run out of the other conditioners, well we use that. That means that we will use it just once before we buy a new one. The result? WE ALL HAVE STRAW-LIKE TANGLY HAIR!

Try to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, and search for another shampoo that doesn't have proteins, keratin etc in it

What works for me instead, is the shampoos and conditioners that label as "moisturizing". They usually dont have proteins in them (based on my personal experience)
and make my hair, exactly the way I want too. Smooth and without flyaways. I dont have any experience on vinegar rinses, but I can assure you that indeedhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/#44034780) protein based products may give that kind of reaction on hair.

Strangely on my hair, gelatin hair masks work way better without this super tangly results, even tho it's a protein based product =/

lapushka
July 15th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I'd get a shampoo based on what type of hair I had. Oily? Normal? Dry? If dry, then yes get a moisturizing shampoo. If oily get one that caters to that. Shampoo is only meant to "cleanse" the hair. The rest is up to your conditioner. You'd need a good moisturizing conditioner, preferably one with silicones (they are all over). My Holy Grail is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, it is an amazing detangler.

texangrrl
July 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Welcome to LHC! Your hair sounds similar to mine!! I have fine 1b/1c hair that tangles easily.

Regarding the shampoo, it could be that maybe your hair is maybe protein sensitive? I didn't realize I had a protein sensitivity until after I joined here and realized what it was. It took me forever to find a washing routine that works for me. I had too many issues with shampoo drying my hair out and I tried shampoo bars but the results were so inconsistent. I tried several cleansing routines and have finally found that my fine hair LOVES silicone free and protein free CO (conditioner only) washing routine.

I have done vinegar rinses before and used to do them every wash and they make the hair so soft and shiny. However, I haven't done them lately since I've done CO washing. I don't think it's going to hurt you using the vinegar rinses every time.

Also, I have the flyaways (used to confuse it with frizziness, which it wasn't) and the best thing I have found for them is to take 3-5 drops of oil (I use Nightblooming's Triple Moon Oil) and spread it in my hands, then take my hands and run though the length of my hair. As far as tangles go, the CO washing has helped tremendously with that. Also, I've been keeping it up more often in a bun using sticks and forks, so that helps too.

texangrrl
July 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Do you have any damage or do you dye your hair?

Aderyn
July 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I'd definitely try to return the shampoo and get a refund since it clearly doesn't work.

Protein overload can, and oftentimes does, happen in one use. You have to do a lot of moisturizing to deal with the protein overload (and avoid products where protein is medium to high up in the ingredient list for this). Your hair already has enough protein in it, so adding more is just unnecessary and damaging. You should always, always follow up a protein treatment/shampoo/condition with a more moisturizing one, especially if you're protein-sensitive. You can also try clarifying your hair to help it out a bit with the protein overload. :)

To find a moisturizing product, just look for a conditioner where water/aqua is the first ingredient. The rest - silicones or oils is just to help seal in the moisture and nourish/coat/protect the hair.

Bexille
July 15th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the prompt replies! I'm glad I know now to avoid proteins in my hair care products. I had no idea it was even a thing before I started lurking here.

Texangrrl, about damage/dye, I do have some dye in the lower ~50% of my length. It was a one-off mistake and I do not intend to ever dye my hair again. It caused way too much dryness and damage for my liking (I actually cut from MBL to APL to get rid of most of it). So I think the dye is probably causing a few problems which will hopefully vanish once it's all grown out.

I've never dared try CO washing because I'm 99% sure any conditioner on my scalp would weigh my hair down way too much. To be honest I'm not sure what my hair "type" is in terms of oily, dry, normal...It's definitely dry on the lower half, so I will look for a moisturizing conditioner, but my scalp? No idea.

spidermom
July 15th, 2015, 01:13 PM
You don't need to put conditioner on or even near your scalp, so moisturizing is a good choice.

texangrrl
July 15th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Most conditioners weigh down my fine hair, but I've had great success with the Suave Naturals line. It sounds like you defintely need moisture. Another possible suggestion would be to try the SMT. I've used it before and my hair felt wonderful afterwards!! Here's the link to that thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128