PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks for straighter hair without heat

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 14th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Hello Ladies,

Could some of you share your tips for achieving straighter hair. I have very wavy hair that is difficult to straighten and I do not want to use heat due to damage. Do any of you have a favorite hair product or technique? Thank you for the help in advance!

Horrorpops
July 14th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Hi there! I can get my 2c hair pretty straight by combing it straight while it is wet. I do this frequently as it airdrys (maybe finish off the last 10% with a warm/cool hairdrier). I also use a boar bristle brush on my dry hair and this straightens it out too! :)

coyoteanne
July 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
This isn't so much a tip as it is a lifestyle choice, but NW/SO nearly straightens my 2c/3a curls.
When I was younger and disliked my curls I would loosely braid my hair post wash for waves, but since you have wavy hair I don't think you'd benefit from that.
Horrorpops tip is great! I used to do that too. I have a lot of hair, and it would add to poofyness (is think I may have made that word up) but it certainly made my hair straighter.

LongCurlyTress
July 14th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Hi! This takes awhile, sometimes overnight, but I wash my hair and detangle with conditioner in the shower. Use my turbie twist for maybe 10 minutes and then put my hair into a low lwb bun. After maybe a half hour, I take my hair down and use hair serum and evoo and then gently comb it through the length while it is still very damp. Then I put my hair into a lwb and comb it out every two hours or so with a bit more evoo. In the winter I dry my scalp area a bit with a hairdryer on warm to get rid of the extreme dampness before using a BBB and putting my hair into an lwb. Good luck! There are also youtube videos that show wrapping your hair around your head in sections andusing large bobby pins to secure the sections and then a scarf. Leave overnight and pin straight hair with no heat. ;)

My hair is 3b and I have photos in my albums here on LHC showing how curly my hair gets. Please have a look! ;)

lapushka
July 15th, 2015, 06:22 AM
My hair is 3b and I have photos in my albums here on LHC showing how curly my hair gets. Please have a look! ;)

Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous curly! :D

Rapunzel_to_be
July 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I use jumbo velcro rollers,like in this video, although I do not use any heat so I let it air dry, which takes me about 3 hours, the result is beautiful, its straight with a little bounce on the shorter parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqYMykHlaY

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 15th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Thank you all so so much! I am going to try a bunch of these tips at home. I can't wait to get started. it's great for us curly/wavy girls to get together and brainstorm ideas! I was at such a loss for what to do. It's great to see all of your routines. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to add!

meteor
July 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Straightening hair without heat is focused on wet-setting:

- combing wet hair over and over as it is drying;
- blow-drying on cool, going down, with the nozzle always facing down (to smooth down the cuticle);
- setting damp hair in jumbo rollers (the bigger the rollers, the straighter the look);
- hair-wrapping: wrapping hair around head and pinning as you go, using your head as a a giant roller, so to speak :lol: ;
- wrapping ponytailed hair in a tight, silky ribbon or scarf;
- caterpillar braids (the more ponytail holders you put on, the straighter it is likely to be).

alexis917
July 15th, 2015, 06:20 PM
My hair gets very straight as it grows longer (1c that's only 2c above chin). To keep it sleek I second brushing it wet with a Wet Brush and leave-in conditioner, then blow drying on the cool setting (nozzle facing down) while continuing to gently brush. When its dry I add the teeeeeniest bit of castor oil to the ends, but I have ultra coarse/thick hair, so a lighter oil or serum might be better for most.

ghost
July 15th, 2015, 06:28 PM
If I put my hair up in a topknot before bed, it turns my fine wavy hair into big waves that can be brushed straight once I take it out of the bun. A little bit of aloe gel before making the bun and before brushing it out helps, too. If I need to braid it for any reason, I do rope braids for the same reason: the waves it creates are a lot easier to brush out than regular braid waves.

LongCurlyTress
July 15th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous curly! :D
Thank you soooo much Lapushka!! You made my day! :joy:

HintOfMint
July 16th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Any of the above techniques with a coney serum and conditioner involved. Cones are pretty great at straightening waves.

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 16th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Hey guys so I want to give you an update. I wrapped my hair last night before I went to bed. I still need to go to the beauty supply store to pick up long clips so I just used some old short ones. A couple small pieces of hair fell out that I think the longer clips will rectify, but it still turned out pretty good. My hair was still slightly damp when I woke up and I had some curls from the pieces that fell out so I threw my hair up into rollers for a bit. This and a bit of pampering has made my hair feel and look the best it ever has. I added a picture I took this morning before getting fully ready.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18107&d=1437053669

Aderyn
July 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Oh wow, your hair looks wonderful!! I like the volume, too!

alexis917
July 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Looks like you got a blowout, absolutely gorgeous!

lapushka
July 16th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Thank you soooo much Lapushka!! You made my day! :joy:

Well I gosh darn mean it too! :D :cheer:

meteor
July 16th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Hey guys so I want to give you an update. I wrapped my hair last night before I went to bed. I still need to go to the beauty supply store to pick up long clips so I just used some old short ones. A couple small pieces of hair fell out that I think the longer clips will rectify, but it still turned out pretty good. My hair was still slightly damp when I woke up and I had some curls from the pieces that fell out so I threw my hair up into rollers for a bit. This and a bit of pampering has made my hair feel and look the best it ever has. I added a picture I took this morning before getting fully ready.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18107&d=1437053669

WOW! :thud: Gorgeous, red-carpet-ready style! :applause
Your roller-setting skills are great! :thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
July 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Well I gosh darn mean it too! :D :cheer:

:flowers: You are so sweet! I changed my siggy pic to my hair curly because of your thoughtful comment here. We gotta embrace our natural hair, right?? ;) You are helping me to do this! ;) Hugs!! ;) and :hifive: THANK YOUUUUUUUU LAPUSHKA!!! ;)

ETA Sorry to be off topic! Guess the whole idea of this thread is to heat free straighten our hair. OOPS!! ;) Sorry!! :couch:

LongCurlyTress
July 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I love your hair RUNAWAYCHIC!! GORGEOUS! Guess we curlygirls can go both curly and straight! Yeppers! ;) Did you use some leave in cream to keep it from curling up during the day? Mine frizzes in a few hours if I just leave it down, so I would love to know how you kept it so straight all day. Thanks! Good job!! ;) Glad this worked so well for you. ;)

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 16th, 2015, 12:42 PM
LongCurlyTress,

Wow, you hair is beautiful curly! Don't worry as you are certainty not off topic. I love that we are able to wear our hair both straight and curly in not damaging ways too. Straitening my hair will not be an every day occurrence. I used to always fight with my curls and am trying to learn to embrace them, at least sometimes haha. I know it can be a struggle. I didn't use a cream last night for some reason, but typically I use Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream. I did oil my hair before getting in the shower though. I took the picture before I left the house in the morning. Unfortunately it has been misting today and my hair has frizzed and curled up a bit. I am going to try experimenting with different products and will let you know what works best. I tried looking at your photos but couldn't find anything. Despite joining LHC in 2011, I just started using my account recently. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. I went to profile the photos at the top. Is this where the photos would be?

HintOfMint
July 16th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Oh DAMN! It looks fantastic! Very Veronica Lake.

LongCurlyTress
July 16th, 2015, 06:26 PM
LongCurlyTress,

Wow, you hair is beautiful curly! Don't worry as you are certainty not off topic. I love that we are able to wear our hair both straight and curly in not damaging ways too. Straitening my hair will not be an every day occurrence. I used to always fight with my curls and am trying to learn to embrace them, at least sometimes haha. I know it can be a struggle. I didn't use a cream last night for some reason, but typically I use Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream. I did oil my hair before getting in the shower though. I took the picture before I left the house in the morning. Unfortunately it has been misting today and my hair has frizzed and curled up a bit. I am going to try experimenting with different products and will let you know what works best. I tried looking at your photos but couldn't find anything. Despite joining LHC in 2011, I just started using my account recently. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. I went to profile the photos at the top. Is this where the photos would be?
Hi! I just friended you here on LHC~~ so now you should be able to see my photo albums. If you click on my name here on this page in the left hand column, and go to my profile page, there are two albums that I try to keep as a record for my hair growing journey. One is for length pics and one is for buns and hairtoys. These albums are located under my profile pic on my profile page. I keep them semiprivate for contacts and mods only for privacy reasons. Please let me know if you have trouble seeing them! And thanks so much for such a nice compliment! Not sure, but I think pretty soon you can go to the Settings tab at the top of the page and then create your profile using the links in the left hand column on the Settings page. I have the same problem with any kind of humidity making my hair frizzy. Ugh... so up in a bun it goes most of the time! ;) Good luck with trying diffo products. CVS is great about taking products back with the receipt within 30 days. ;)

Halliday
July 17th, 2015, 03:20 AM
a catapillar braid can straighten hair out somewhat - just do a loose ponytail and put a lot of hairbands about half an inch away from each other all down the ponytail, then sleep on it.