PDA

View Full Version : Being budget conscious paid off

Tartlette
October 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I finally self-trimmed using Feye's instructions! I've been a member here for quite a while and always chickened out, but I have been needing a wee trim for a while now. Went looking around and the prices for a plain cut and shampoo were 15-20 dollars at the cheapy places. Since I won't let them shampoo, or blowdry and only want a tiny dusting, I just couldn't justify it! So I waited til hubby left for work (he thought I was crazy for even suggusting it :rolleyes:) and did it!

It turned out great, I only took off a smidge and I am soooo glad my miserly ways boosted my bravery level to give it a try. I could even make a hair toy purchase now if I wanted too! I knew this was just the place where everyone would understand hehe

of course, the nightmare I had last night about the stylist thinking i was donating for LoL and hacking off my ponytail in one swoop had nothing to do with it.. :run:

CurlyOne
October 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Good for you! I think I need a trim but there isn't anyone here I trust, where can I see the method you use?

Tartlette
October 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It's Feye's trimming instructions (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) and I did the U-shaped trim :)

manderly
October 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Why would your husband think you were crazy for thinking of cutting your own hair? That's funny to me, since I'm pretty sure women 100 years ago cut their own hair all the time :D

But I'm glad it worked out for you, Feye's method works great, and once I got past my initial fear I've become much braver with cutting my own hair and have even adjusted my layers :)

Delila
October 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hey, good for you!

I remember those 'first self trim' jitters, ack!

It does get easier with time, just remember not to self trim too often. :)

LifeisAdventure
October 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats Tartlette! I completely messed up my first trim, and am still growing out the uneven side, lol! :wink:

Fillette
October 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Congratulations Tartlette and good job on your first try!!!

Tea Lady
October 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you. I have noticed that with long hair it is so much easier to be cost-conscious than when I had short hair. Hubby or my 18 year old trim my hair anywhere from every 3-6 months, my absolute favorite hair products are some of the cheapest on the market (VO5 and Suave products, often found on sale), and I henna every 3 months or so at home. My last Ficarre was a birthday present. So being a longhair on a budget is quite do-able!

ETA: It is also a time-saver - no more blow-drying or wasting hours at a salon!

Tea Lady

vampodrama
October 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Why would your husband think you were crazy for thinking of cutting your own hair? That's funny to me, since I'm pretty sure women 100 years ago cut their own hair all the time :D

these days you're not supposed to do things that you can pay other people to do for you.

like... ohh, cutting your hair and filing your fingernails and such.

Tartlette
October 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
these days you're not supposed to do things that you can pay other people to do for you.

like... ohh, cutting your hair and filing your fingernails and such.

Lol that is definitely part of it, and he even offered to pay for it! The other part is that my hair care is about as far as I venture into "girly" stuff and he probably figured if I messed up he'd have to deal with meltdown (silly man.. when it comes to my hair and scissors, moderation is the word of the day!)

LaurelSpring
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hey Congrats!

I totally messed up when I tried that on mine now I am too freaked out to try it again but I am also not going to a salon so for now I am just S& D and nipping my tassle ends when they look too scraggly.

jojo
October 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I do this too saves money and means your in control. Well done!

Nevermore
October 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
It does get easier with time, just remember not to self trim too often. :)

That's the hardest part! Ever since I started self trimming, I want to do it so much more often than I should (well, if I want to GROW my hair that is) because it's really...fun!

Tartlette: Your name is great. Isn't self trimming just the most awesome thing ever? I'm glad your first self trim went well :)