PDA

View Full Version : Flaky Scalp [sigh]

Scarlet3636
July 14th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I've suffered from this off and on over the years. It comes and gos, usually (it seems) on it's own.

I've been experimenting with new products, and i think i identified the preservatives in one of the conditioners that was causing a problem. My scalp kind of actually burned a little after I rinsed it out. I discontinued that two weeks ago.

Anyway, not to give TMI, but the flakes are clear. I don't think it's dandruff necessarily, but I'm wondering if my scalp is still just irritated from the product, and just needs some time to settle. My scalp and hair tend to be on the dry side; not oily.

Anyone else dealing with something similar?

Scarlet3636
July 14th, 2015, 03:32 AM
One other thing: I was also mindlessly scratching my scalp last weekend prior to washing, and I think this is a big no no as it can make a flaky scalp even worse. And it did!

lapushka
July 14th, 2015, 05:25 AM
I'd throw some Nizoral at it, if your regular dandruff shampoos do nothing. You can't keep living with this issue, right?

Scarlet3636
July 15th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Bumping

thanks!

meteor
July 15th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'd use an anti-fungal shampoo (e.g. Nizoral or Regenepure Dr with ketoconazole are good options) or some anti-fungal treatment (like a neem leaves rinse or something).
When there is some unidentified scalp issue, it's a good idea to use something that's both anti-fungal (in case it's SD) and moisturizing (in case it's just dryness).

Also, it's very smart to move away from products that you suspect are causing a reaction. :thumbsup:

And here is a pretty good article that might be of help :) : http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

Silverbrumby
July 15th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I second all the advice above. Sounds fungal. I had similar issues and they are now fixed with the right shampoo. Also my shedding decreased using the right shampoo.

Garnetgem
January 17th, 2016, 04:55 AM
One other thing: I was also mindlessly scratching my scalp last weekend prior to washing, and I think this is a big no no as it can make a flaky scalp even worse. And it did!

your right never scrape flakes or they come back so much worse than before,it could be seborrheic dermatitis its similar to dandruff but with inflamation,you could try Nizoral shampoo to start off with,i have had this happen to me before and it turned out to be an environmental problem but please dont scratch or it will get thicker and cause hair to loosen.

Mademoiselle
January 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I have flaky scalp when I go through times of stress, they pass those times back to normal. I also realized that if I use dandruff shampoo, when the mine is completed, use my brother (dandruff) leaves me dandruff and dont remove it in two weeks =/

lapis_lazuli
January 17th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I've been there... still am there actually haha. I use Neutrogena's T/Gel on my scalp. It works for a few days and then the flakes start to appear again. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the inversion method and scalp massages I give myself daily. Like you, I'm searching for a longterm solution.

lapushka
January 17th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I've been there... still am there actually haha. I use Neutrogena's T/Gel on my scalp. It works for a few days and then the flakes start to appear again. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the inversion method and scalp massages I give myself daily. Like you, I'm searching for a longterm solution.

I found with my SD, it is best not to "manipulate" the scalp too much (not at all, really). Except for carefully picking flakes off without rubbing or otherwise disturbing the scalp - I do nothing to it, not even brush it unless it's time to wash (and then liiightly). It only gets massaged when washing, with lots of shampoo and water. It seems to work for me.

meteor
January 17th, 2016, 02:30 PM

If Neutrogena T/Gel (it's coal tar-based) isn't working, I'd look for other solutions. :flower: The thing is, coal tar is not well studied for adult scalp SD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3100109/) but some other ingredients are: primarily anti-fungals, like ketoconazole (ideally at 2% - shampoo/cream/foam) formulas, like Nizoral.

Sometimes, you can get best results by periodically rotating antiseborrheic products (e.g. ketoconazole-based ones with selenium sulfide ones (Selsun Blue, for example).

Here are a few studies that I think can help:
Optimizing Treatment Approaches in Seborrheic Dermatitis - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3579488/
Seborrheic Dermatitis - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2888552/
Adult Seborrheic Dermatitis - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3100109/

nalgena
January 17th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I've always had issues with very itchy, flaky scalp. When I was younger I used to scratch it to the point my scalp was covered in scabs.

What works for me is tea tree oil. I make a hot oil treatment with coconut oil, castor oil and then some tea tree EO. I also use peppermint EO although I think tea tree EO has better effect. If u don't have time to make this treatment, just add a few drops to your shampoo. It's easy, cheap, natural and effective. Good luck!

A few words about scratching. I'm trying to stretch washes, but I've noticed that my scalp starts to itch badly if I wait too long. It has gotten better lately, but I think it's better to wash than scratch. I also noticed that I scratch much more when I'm stressed and/or nervous, my most effected areas being just about my ears. I'm suspecting that the hair there could be thicker. So I've made a new years resolution to keep my hands away from my scalp. It was hard the first week, but it seems to me that my scalp is healthier now and it actually itches less.

Garnetgem
January 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Have had experience of this and when i had it my dr prescribed Nizoral 2% and vitamin B6 50mg for a week to take while using the Nizoral,idea was shampoo clears the yeast on the scalp and the B6 helps heal the skin on the scalp and i must say my SD cleared quickly and as an added bonus not only did the B6 help heal my scalp but it made my hair have a growth spurt too.