PDA

View Full Version : Trim or not to trim, that is the question??

Spotsleftear
July 14th, 2015, 01:50 AM
Going from pixie downwards, my hairdresser recommends regular trims even though I'm trying to grow.
What are your thoughts? Should I just leave it till it's longer and then get the unevenness sorted or ??

butterflybutton
July 14th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the LHC!

Lots of people get the mullet tamed as they are growing and some of us just let it go wild. I've done both in the past, but this time I'm just letting it go.

eta: it's hard for the first nine to twelve months, but then you are past that growing out a pixie. If you are getting the length trimmed you'd be at a bob stage in the same amount of time. So it's up to you if you want to push past it in the quest for longer hair, or if you want it to look nice as it grows down slower.

Nesoi
July 14th, 2015, 02:38 AM
I got my mullet trimmed until I was at an ear-length bob, but I still had a lot of very short pieces in there. I think it's good to keep it all tidy so you don't despair and give up, but equally, a hairdresser's job is to keep you coming back and spending money, so bear that in mind!

Nique1202
July 14th, 2015, 04:44 AM
It's all up to yourself. Unless your hair has been seriously damaged by heat and/or bleach or is extremely fragile, it's not going to be long enough to get ragged at the ends for at least a year or two. Plenty of people never trim, just S&D at the ends when they get long enough to pull around to the front. But, plenty of people (myself included) hate feeling mullet-y. When I grew out my pixie, I kept it trimmed up to the nape hairline until it was a full blunt bob, and then I grew it out. And then I cut layers in that look like I could've just grown it out from pixie anyway, but I never felt bad about my hair so it was worth it for me.

If you feel alright with the mullet stage, then there is absolutely no need to trim. If you don't want your hair to feel mullet-ish, then there is nothing wrong with trimming.

flickm
July 14th, 2015, 05:16 AM
It's a fallacy that trimming accelerates hair growth, so if it isn't damaged, why not leave it alone. I'm not trimming mine again unless it really needs it. i tend not to get split ends, so no need. I'm still bitterly regretting cutting off several inches of what i thought was damaged and that i now realise, after joining LHC, could have been saved. I went from mid back to shoulder, am now just below APL - so fedup.

missrandie
July 14th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I had my mullet trimmed until it was mostly even, and now I'm just letting it grow from here. For me, that was the right decision. For you, who knows? Just as long as you are comfortable with it.

spidermom
July 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I had very small, regular trims. I never did the bob thing. I gradually grew longer, blended layers and eventually no layers at about BSL.

DeadlyUnicorn
July 14th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I would just grow it and decide as it grows if and when to get a trim. If it looks good, don't trim. If it looks weird, trim it to even it up. :o

vpatt
July 14th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I would say let it grow because then you will see more length sooner. If I trimmed every six weeks I would never see much growth, lol. Why not wait a while and see how you feel about the growing layers? But as stated it is your decision and you know yourself better than anyone. There are some no trimming threads that you can join for encouragement. Good luck! You are going to love it here.

alexis917
July 14th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I trimmed my hair myself as I grew out my pixie, until I was even all around (finally lined it all up at the top of my jaw). I still had a few shorter layers, but no mullet. No that the great grow out continues, the mullet is back with a vengeance, but I keep it because I like to pretend my hair is longer than it is.

Aderyn
July 14th, 2015, 09:10 AM
If you aren't sure about committing to full on trims, you could always try micro trimming first. It's definitely a preference thing, and a wait-and-see sort of thing.

I say just wait and see if your hair is too annoying/upsetting to deal with or see if you can just tough it out.

yahirwaO.o
July 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I just let the thing grow for 1 year fully... it was awful terrible time ,once it was past my shoulder did a trim and my hair had soft long layers in 3 months my looked great!

Vorvayne
July 14th, 2015, 07:52 PM
It took a year to go from a short back and sides to curly-at-shoulder, which is where I am now, and it was a pain in the butt and looked weird a lot, but it's FINALLY looking like less of a mess now. If you have less-curly hair it'll be less time for you.

Definitely don't go as often as the hairdresser recommends. Hairdressers are calibrating their thinking with the kind of people who like to dye and straighten and backcomb their hair, so they're used to thinking that if you don't get a trim every 8 weeks it'll all go wrong. If you're LHC-ing - well, like I said my ends are a year old, and they're super-soft and not a split to be found. So it's just a matter of, can you put up with a bit of a mullet for a while?

missrandie
July 14th, 2015, 08:04 PM
I will say, my hairdresser was fantastic about respecting my desires. I told her I no longer wanted any razor cutting, and we agreed on a top-down strategy so I could maintain a professional appearance and didn't go mullet crazy. She would guage where the top was and kept everything else trimmed. Next month, less trimmed, and so on, until I was at a semblance of a lightly layered bob with hair fully covering my ears, then she said "happy growing! See you in 3-4 months, and we will see if anything needs touched up!"

I have since bought myself a pair of shears and use them on my racer hairs if they get too far ahead of the pack.. had a couple that were a half inch longer than the rest that I trimmed. Chances are, I will go back sometime at the beginning of next year and have her gently shape my hair, then that will be it. I love her dearly, and she did everything I had asked of her and more, so it is hard for me to let her go.

memeow
July 14th, 2015, 10:30 PM
If I were growing out a pixie I would probably want regular trims, since I think a lot of short hairstyles are cute and I'd want to try a few on the way to a bob that I could just grow straight out. But lots of people grow out a pixie without any trims at all. If looking put together is a concern, trims might help, but you could also use some combination of clips, headbands, and styling products to keep your hair under control while it grows. I think you should just decide which you'd prefer and not worry too much about what your hairdresser thinks.