PDA

View Full Version : How long is a LOB (Long Bob)?

Wusel
July 11th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Some months ago I've discovered something called Long Bob or LOB on the internet and found pictures of LOBs of different lengths. How long is a LOB? Is APL still a LOB or not? Is a LOB collarbone? Or something between collarbone and APL?
I'm sorry, another stupid Wusel-question :D

Anje
July 11th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I tend to think a standard bob is about jaw length and a long bob might be shoulder or so. Though if you cut it right, maybe a person could have a waist-length ultra-long bob? XD

ETA: To me, this sort of thing will always define what a bob is: https://hamzaraj.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/1920s-hairstyles-the-bobbed-hairstyle-chart.jpg

Halliday
July 11th, 2015, 01:34 PM
i would say chin to collar bone

Wusel
July 11th, 2015, 01:37 PM
i would say chin to collar bone

I thought chin is a standard bob...

bluebreezes
July 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
ETA: To me, this sort of thing will always define what a bob is: https://hamzaraj.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/1920s-hairstyles-the-bobbed-hairstyle-chart.jpg

Very cool! Love the names of Boyish Bob versus Girlish Bob.

Arctic
July 11th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I think touching shoulders or slightly above or slightly longer. I'd draw the line to where the hair style still looks like one length, even shape, the traditional bob-cut that is. Mine is starting to be at the grey area, at collarboneish, and I am not really thinking mine as bob (or lob) anymore, although sometimes when its down it still clearly has the bob-shape.

I'm not a fan of the term though, I mean bob is bob is bob.

lapushka
July 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Anything towards APL I would no longer consider a LOB. I would say collarbone/shoulder at the longest.

kganihanova
July 11th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Lobs are chin to shoulder. They're also usually angled.

Aderyn
July 11th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Shoulder length, give or take a couple inches.

ositarosita
July 11th, 2015, 06:36 PM
A LOB long bob is any bob hair cut that is longer than chin but no longer than collarbone.

applecinn
July 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM
So, isn't a "bob" any cut that ends in a blunt line? I mean, the cut can be long, short, angled, straight, whatever, but it's the blunt trim-line that determines the "type" no?

Frankenstein
July 12th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I always thought of it like this (but could be wrong): https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cd/5e/73/cd5e7333042b1bc451fdc9f47f760086.jpg

Wusel
July 12th, 2015, 12:13 AM
I always thought of it like this (but could be wrong): https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cd/5e/73/cd5e7333042b1bc451fdc9f47f760086.jpg

So, you think around shoulder/collarbone? And a standard bob is chin/half neck and shorter then?

CatsAndCoffee
July 12th, 2015, 12:28 AM
From what I've seen, the word "bob" has gotten a meaning make over lately. Here's my take:
A "short bob" is what I would call the classic 20s flapper girl bob: chin length, blunt, and swingy, sometimes with a wedged back.
The more modern bob that most women mean when they ask for one at the salon (the "medium bob") is going to be anything that hangs lower than the chin but doesn't pass the shoulders.
The "LOB" that's so popular with celebrities right now is anywhere from collarbone grazing to just above APL. These end up getting included in the bob family because of the way they're cut, versus because of the length. They're usually slight inverted, blunt at the "hem", with some face framing layers or bangs. Basically, a long bob is a modern bob, just cut lower.

But, everyone has a different view on long. Some people call anything longer than a pageboy a "long bob". :shrug:

Wusel
July 12th, 2015, 12:37 AM
From what I've seen, the word "bob" has gotten a meaning make over lately. Here's my take:
A "short bob" is what I would call the classic 20s flapper girl bob: chin length, blunt, and swingy, sometimes with a wedged back.
The more modern bob that most women mean when they ask for one at the salon (the "medium bob") is going to be anything that hangs lower than the chin but doesn't pass the shoulders.
The "LOB" that's so popular with celebrities right now is anywhere from collarbone grazing to just above APL. These end up getting included in the bob family because of the way they're cut, versus because of the length. They're usually slight inverted, blunt at the "hem", with some face framing layers or bangs. Basically, a long bob is a modern bob, just cut lower.

But, everyone has a different view on long. Some people call anything longer than a pageboy a "long bob". :shrug:

Thank you :) That's a good explanation.

yahirwaO.o
July 12th, 2015, 10:48 PM
I think long bobs are between shoulder lenght towards APL in a very straight blunt way. Either bangs or soft layers around the face may be. I like the way it looks on some people!