PDA

View Full Version : The Half a Century Crowd - Or The 50-60 Thread

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 05:25 AM
I'm not quite there myself yet, but wanted to start a thread for this age group, too!

Welcome everyone who's between 50 and 60 years young, men and women (and anyone else who doesn't feel these gender categories apply)!

This is your own corner, have fun!

To get the discussion started, here are few possible topics, feel free to ignore and/or add your own topics!

* How old are you?
* How long is your hair?
* How long have you been growing?
* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years?
* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths?
* If yes, how has they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral?
* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter?
* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?)
* How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them?
* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women?
* Have you noticed your hair changing with years?
* If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)?
* What are you best (and worst) solutions to these new challenges?
* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care?
* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take?
* Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...)

Your turn!

__________________________________________________ ________

At the time of writing this, there are other active threads for different age groups:

* Teens and 20-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125803)
* The 30-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132741)
* The 40-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)
* Over 60 years (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132741)
* 70 to 80 years (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)

Aderyn
July 10th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I was wondering if there was a thread like this out there, so I'm glad to see one made! :)

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Yeah there was a need for this but no one stepped up, so I made one. Hopefully people of this group will notice and find it!

EdG
July 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Arctic, for starting the thread! :cheese:

I will admit to being 50. I have had long hair for half my life (25 years).

The main changes that I have noticed over the years are: my hair isn't as thick below my waist; it seems to break more easily; and of course I have silver streaks. Those turn into the Silver Swirl when bunned, making me feel like Clark Kent stepping into a phone booth and emerging as Superman. :rollin:

I think that crossing the half-century mark is an achievement. I knew someone who didn't make it to a half-century, which is a reminder of how fragile life is. :)
Ed

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks for posting Ed! I hope many more will join you soon!

I agree 50 + years is a privilege, and every year is a beautiful gift!

kitschy
July 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I'll be 59 in September.

I never had hair past BSL and it was usually around shoulder length ... until I joined LHC. I grew out to hip length, but ended up cutting back to shoulder in July of 2014, by September I had regrets and started growing again - I am almost BSL now.

My hair is curly and it damages easily - when I was younger I continually brushed and tried to straighten my hair with heat. I also lightened the color frequently and so my poor over-processed hair was just frizzy, dry and damaged.

Now I CO (conditioner wash) and air dry.

My hair is silvery gold - getting more silvery every day - someday (i hope soon) I will be white.

It has thinned at my hairline a great deal, but because it's curly I can hide it somewhat.

I was born to be a hippy - I love my natural self! I like my hair, my wrinkles, my extra fat-padding. I love my experinces, my family, my past, my now, and whatever is to come. I really don't think much about what someone else does or thinks - that's their business.

Remi
July 10th, 2015, 10:38 AM
This sounds like a nice thread to start, Arctic :) There are not too many women where I live, who still wear long hair. (in this age group) Sometimes I see some Indian women, a few Asian women, and several Native American women with hair to the bottom or longer. Once or twice I see female physicians with long hair styled up in a bun. It does make me feel a little rebellious, definitely individualistic, and more like an outward expression of many soul lifetimes of having long hair. Sometimes a health problem comes along, but it's not major and it can be dealt with. I really admire the women with solid gray or silver hair because of it's beauty. Mine however, only plays peek-a-boo with little pockets of silver showing up when they want to play. But these are not things I dwell upon. I enjoy it now and don't long for something else.

DMARTINEZ
July 10th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Yay! Im 56! Hair is hip length and wavy. Its silvery,gold like Kitschy's! I will admit there are days i wish it was shoulder length and actually set about cutting it but......I just cant! its too scary and what would I do with shoulder length hair!? ;) Glad to be here!

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Nice to see more of you!!! The more the merrier!

*** If someone has suggestions about the thread title and/or the content of the first post, please let me know!***

Lesa Marie
July 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I like this thread been through most of the ? listed!

chen bao jun
July 10th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I'm going to be 58 in September. i wondered if we'd get a thread. thank, Arctic.

How old are you?
answered above
* How long is your hair?
It looks like APL but stretches to about mid-back. However, be aware that the fact that it doesn't look like 'long' hair even by non-LHC standards affects the answer to some questions
I've been growing for about 3 years with the intention of having 'long' (to me, waistlength) hair

* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years?
not by LHC standards
* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths?
rarely, but first I lived around other black people and now I am mostly with conservative Christians, both groups that see no problem with long hair on women at any age
* If yes, how has they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral?
n/a
*H ave you felt pressure to cut shorter?
Nope
* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?)
While a lot of women do cut their hair short with age here, there are plenty of women over 50 with hair that they wear at least APL, I know several over 50 women with waist or hip length hair and the main reason I don't know know more is that they cut due to damage, not age. That is, a woman will cut her hair shorter not because she is over 50 but because she gets fairy tale ends and doesnt know about LHC hair care.

I know a couple of young men with past shoulder length hair, I wouldn't say it was common. There is barely anyone here with hair past waist/hip, reasons given above.
Its getting grey.
* If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)?
Not yet, but keep in mind my hair is not super long. Maybe it wont be able to grow as long as it could have when I was 20, but since I didn't have long hair at 20, I will never know.
Haven't had challenges since i like my grey hairs.
* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care?
It is easier to care for so far.
* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take?
Love
Nope

I'm not quite there myself yet, but wanted to start a thread for this age group, too!

Welcome everyone who's between 50 and 60 years young, men and women (and anyone else who doesn't feel these gender categories apply)!

This is your own corner, have fun!

To get the discussion started, here are few possible topics, feel free to ignore and/or add your own topics!

* How old are you?
* How long is your hair?

Your turn!

EdG
July 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I'm bumping up this thread. The fifties crowd seems to be hiding. :couch:
Ed

RedHeadDancer
July 13th, 2015, 08:14 PM
My second attempt at posting....

I just turned 64. didnt find a 60-70 group so point me in their direction if there is one....

Last Dec my hair was a long pixie cut. I decided (again) to grow it out and it is now about chin length. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and long hair was kinda the norm. So I always go back to growing it long...its my default setting! hahah

Yes there is a line of thinking that older women are supposed to cut their hair...but is it because they shouldnt have long hair because they are older? or maybe its easier to take care of at a time when ya just don't want to be bothered with the sometimes time consuming ritual of long hair? After all, we ain't got a lot of time left so is this how ya wanna spend some of it? I don't know....but I have grown up with that "tradition". And sometimes I feel the slight pressure of style and the lack of time...But darn it, I like my hair long!...shrug....so I keep going back to it. I mean, really, how much time does it take to throw a bun up on top of your head and still look pretty darn classy!?

I notice that I have less hair, than before. Its in pretty good shape for all the stuff I've done to it over the years. I color the roots because of gray. I used cassia this weekend and am wondering if this is a means to getting away from chemicals finally...I see lots of ladies with pretty gray and silver hair, long and beautiful.

I usually grow my hair to below BSL before the ends get a little thin. Thats where I'm headed again...I'll just keep checking in here if ya don't mind that I'm over 60.

Question....has anyone grown out their gray and then decided it just wasnt for them?

Oh and no, I have not updated my profile yet....

Aderyn
July 13th, 2015, 08:54 PM
There is a thread for 60+ here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132752), RedHeadDancer. :)

Nice too see many people growing their hair long despite the norm being the exact opposite!

MeAndTheMaz
July 13th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Here I am, at 54. Frankly, it kind of weirds me out when I think about my actual age. I don't feel like I should be that old. I usually feel about 10 years younger.

I've been "growing" ever since I had control of my own hair. About middle school. Mid-70s. Been doing a pretty crappy job of it until I found LHC. Now I want to get some decent length before I go bald. :pray:

I don't think I have that many greys, but my beard is almost totally grey.

EdG
July 13th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Here I am, at 54. Frankly, it kind of weirds me out when I think about my actual age. I don't feel like I should be that old. I usually feel about 10 years younger.I thought you were younger. :o

Attitude matters more than age. :cheese:
Ed

Sarahlabyrinth
July 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Well, I belong here ;) I turned 50 in April this year.

I have always loved long hair and had it down to my waist when I was a teenager. In my late teens I chopped it short (to a couple of inches long) because my mother kept insisting that it didn't suit me long. From then until 2012 I usually kept it short, though hating it, and only because family would tell me it suited me so much better that way and it made me look younger. I had several brief bursts of rebellion and would grow to around APL before caving to pressure and chopping it short once again.

In 2012 I discovered LHC and that made me determined to grow my hair REALLY long at least once in my life, and I am finding that the longer it gets, the better I like it.

Now I am busy transitioning from blonde dye to my natural silvers and hope that one day I will have long silver and even white hair.

Happy to be in this thread! :) I would have joined earlier but have been without my computer for almost two weeks - it had to go to computer hospital :)

chen bao jun
July 15th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I might have less hair than I would have had before, but I'll never know. The advantage to having trashed your hair all your life is that when you finally start caring for it, if its at a late age, it will seem 'great' in comparison.

I remember my dad saying at my age that his hair (very much like mine) was less thick than it had been when he was young but honestly since LHC I am getting thicker (and it was already out of control). So I'm not stressing about if its less or not. My dad of course never relaxed his hair with 'super-strength' relaxer and then blew dry on high after that, and then flatironed on high after THAT and then used a curling iron sometimes daily. for about 10 years. shame on me.

proo
July 16th, 2015, 07:14 AM
56 here -
I've had long hair most of my adult life because with my fine/coarse straight/kinky hair it seemed easier.
I tortured it into submission until 2008 when I found the LHC -
it's been a circuitous journey but I find myself now employing the NW routine
with the longest, strongest, thickest, healthiest hair of my life.

nakima
July 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I'm 55 and my hair is tbl and growing :) I had long hair in my teen years abt (hip length) after my children were born I kept it at just below shoulders for years. I tried to start growing it long again in my early 40's then perimenopause kicked in and I lost a lot of my hair it broke and would not grow at all :( then about 5 years ago things got better and I am loving my hair again I feel like me for the first time in a very long time. My hair is blonde,white,silver,gold. Im letting it grow out for now. I live where a lot of people where their hair long. Native Americans etc. I ride a Harley and when I rope my hair off I can see it in the shadow blowing in the wind behind me and I feel so free! I love my long hair! I keep it braided during the day bun at night and I wear it down when shopping etc. Ive wanted a long gray braid since I was 5 lol been waiting a long time.

thystle
July 20th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I've been away for a long time (life issues suck), but I'm still growing! I've been stalled/extremely slow-growing for a couple of years, so it's been frustrating, but I'm trying to hang on. I at least want to reach solid knee length if not longer.

How old are you?

I'm 57, will be 58 in February.

How long is your hair?

Still a short way from knee. I need to get my son to measure for the inches. I need new pictures, too.

How long have you been growing?

Seriously trying for long hair since around 2003. My goal keeps moving!

Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years?

I've had long hair several times during my life. It was around classic until the second grade (my mother chopped it all off because I slept with gum in my mouth and it got in my hair), and then I grew it out again in high school, getting again to classic length. I joined the USAF and had a girl in my mod who was a hairdresser cut it to just above BSL.

Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths?

Well, I grew up with the accepted "rule" that older women should have short hair, because long hair aged them.

If yes, how has they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral?

I'm not much for following stupid rules. :D Most people don't say much; my youngest son's ex-girlfriend loves my long hair. My mother is living vicariously through me as a long hair older woman. I've had a few former coworkers make comments (Oh, you really are growing your hair long!) but I don't care what other people think.

Have you felt pressure to cut shorter?

No. If I'm with my mother when she's getting her hair done, the beauticians give me funny looks, but no one has said anything.

How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?)

We've had such an influx of other cultures (Mexican, Indian, Asian) that what would have been normal for here has changed.

How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them?

I think people should do what they want. Those old rules make about as much sense as not wearing white after Labor Day.

Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women?

Around here (middle of NC), I see women of all ages with all sorts of lengths and styles. We do have a rather large Mexican population, and they tend to have longer hair at any age. Quite a few men with longer hair, too.

Have you noticed your hair changing with years?

Oh, yes. Age and stress can be very unkind.

If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)?

My hair is thinning slightly in the front area, around my bangs. Most people wouldn't notice, but I used to have lush bangs, and now I don't.

What are you best (and worst) solutions to these new challenges?

I don't really know what to do about the thinning. I try to eat well, though I get way too many carbs, and I can't afford the supplements I used to take. I've had quite a bit of stress the last few years, with my mother getting breast cancer (and she actually died in the emergency room later that night), then my father was diagnosed with a fatal bone marrow disease. Add in the rough times my youngest son has put me through, and my own health issues, and I'm pretty much at a stand-still, growth-wise.

What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious?

All of the above! I've always loved having my hair long, I think it's beautiful on me and bucking the "rules" for older women is awesome. :P

Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care?

Yes. And yes.

Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take?

I have a few white and silver, and they don't bother me at all. I let them fly their pretty selves. I'm hoping I go a lovely silver, or a pure white, but I think I've got a long way to go, since both my parents didn't really go gray until their late sixties, and even then they were salt and pepper well into their seventies.

Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...)

Well, I've learned I have to be patient and let nature do her thing. I mostly bun so I don't think too much about how much/little I'm gaining. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. One thing I've realized is that life happens. The only way to stop it is to die, and I intend to live to be over a hundred (and will likely still have my long hair!).

bte
July 20th, 2015, 11:52 PM
* How old are you?
Just 60, so can squeeze into this thread for a little longer!

* How long is your hair?
Approx the male equivalent of BSL.

I have been trying to grow since I was 14, but made a conscious decision never to cut again in 1994 when I was 39.

I always wanted it long, although parents & work and then age prevented me from having the extreme lengths I would have liked.

When I was young, old women generally had long hair in buns. The shorter for older idea came later. Older men never hd long hair in those days.

As above.

Generally men of my age have short or very short hair. I think most of the prur coms from their peers. Most are retired on about to retire soon.

I reject all the rules because I have always wanted just to be myself.

Younger gils seem to wear mid back to weaist, which is good to see. A big variety amongst older women, and everything from bald to waist on men, but mainly younger men.

Thinner, but I have managed to achieve my longest ever length.

I try to look aftermyself, but I do feel older, bit by bit.

Benign neglect!

Longer is easier, individualistic.

Not yet, my hair naturally bleaches in the sun, so I may not notice white hairs for some time yet!

Being yourself is all you can expect from yourself!

Johannah
July 21st, 2015, 01:48 AM
Is there a thread for people in their 20s somewhere? I can't seem to find it ;)

Arctic
July 21st, 2015, 05:14 AM
Is there a thread for people in their 20s somewhere? I can't seem to find it ;)

Johannah, yes there is. It's for teens and twenty somethings, and it's an older thread, recently bumped up. That thread actually inspired all of these new threads for different age groups.

Here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125803

Pat Wright
July 31st, 2015, 03:48 PM
52 years old here. Slowly growing out a lot of damage. Hi everyone!:waving:

Othala
July 31st, 2015, 05:43 PM
50 here and in the last 5 years have gone from natural grey at TBL to henndigo black at TBL to henndigo black at ear length (yikes!) then growing out the grey which is now at shoulder length. I will most likely end up with natural grey at waist length and stay there as it was getting hard to manage hair at TBL.

diggem
August 4th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I guess I qualify, 52 years old.

diggem

Jo Ann
August 5th, 2015, 01:20 AM
I'm 58--and I'm not going grey!

I have "natural highlights"... :p

Chelle25
August 5th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Just turned 53 here. I too have the natural highlights :cool:

Johannah
August 5th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Johannah, yes there is. It's for teens and twenty somethings, and it's an older thread, recently bumped up. That thread actually inspired all of these new threads for different age groups.

Here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125803

Thank you! :)

Beborani
August 5th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Whoever said before, yes it is a privilege to live past 50 with relatively good health and hair--every day becomes a gift. i am extra lucky in that I got my hair to grow back after extensive hairloss with help from science and am growing my hair long to enjoy this growth period--nearing classic now.

hennalonghair
August 9th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks Arctic! I was just cursing lapushkas 40 to 50 thread thinking we need a over 50 thread and poof:magic:... Here it is!

* How old are you?

* How long is your hair?
About 30 inches or so.

My whole life. It's been TBL for most of my life.

I've always had long hair except when it's been chopped.

Not really :shrug: but I don't pay much attention to what others think I should be,act or look like

Sure I've had comments from relatives but again, it doesn't bother me. Some people like to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and instead of getting upset I just ignore them. It's their own ignorance and have nothing to do with me because whatever they think of me is none of my business.

Yes and I have; from TBL to shoulder but it wasn't the regular social pressures but another reason.

Where I live I think anything goes.

Ignore them like they don't apply to me because they don't.

Yes! Very much so on men and women.
Yayyyyy! :cheer:

Yes!

My hair is thinning out some but is also taming down some which is great. I've got big bold streaks of grey (80 to 90% grey at the very front) which I LOVE but unfortunately I've been using henna for over 35 years so now I need to transition and that's a hard thing but I'll manage one day.

Scalp massages and grow in my greys!!!

All of the above!!!
It is empowering!
It is definitely an expression of my individuality!
It is beautiful!
It is a bit rebellious. Yes! I've always prided myself in ' being an individual 'and not being herded into the so called 'norm.'
It is so so much easier to care for. People think because I have curly wavy hair that it will automatically be curlier if I cut it but the first 3 inches or so is pretty straight. My hair curls when it gets a certain length and thickness and short isn't one of them. Plus with all the cow licks I have , I need the length to weigh these down otherwise my hair is one rebellious mess when short. I hate my hair short. It just doesn't have the same texture.

Yes I have many many silvers and I actually LOVE them. Unfortunately , like stated, I need to let these babies sparkle and shine on my virgin hair and NOT cover them up.
I don't like where I am now because I feel like people just assume I'm colouring my hair because I'm grey. They don't understand that I'm colouring my hair because I've used henna for sooo long that it's all I've known. It's time to learn differently.

Yes! I enjoy getting older. I prioritize my life now and do the things I WANT to do instead of what society or family dictates. I'm much more comfortable in my own shoes than I've ever been in my life. Simple pleasures have more importance.
I enjoy my own company immensely and don't get intimidated by others like I used to. Others peoples opinion of me is irrelevant which is a huge milestone for me. When I was younger it was incredibly important.
There's such freedom in accepting yourself 'as is' and I'm embracing it all with open arms.
Spirituality is higher on my importance list which makes all the difference in the world.
I'm more patient because patience is a virtue. I listen more, talk less. I'm less self absorbed which is a huge relief cause narcissism can be quite ugly and I'm much more understanding of others than I ever was. The patience helps a lot and general lack of caring. :lol: and I don't mean that in a negative way either.
Lifes better when we age is my basic conclusion and it should be because after all, we ARE older & wiser, right?
Still rockin the long hair and hopefully will till the day I die.

Your turn!

__________________________________________________ ________

At the time of writing this, there are other active threads for different age groups:

* Teens and 20-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125803)
* The 30-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132741)
* The 40-somethings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)
* Over 60 years (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132741)
* 70 to 80 years (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)[/QUOTE]

pamrlyn
August 9th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone!
:waving:

Thank you Arctic for starting this thread :)

* How old are you?
57 - will be 58 in September

* How long is your hair?
BSL - 26 inches

about 3 years.

My hair has never been longer than shoulder length, until recently. Stopped coloring, and cut short (jawline length). My hair hit the shoulder length mark (again) in about 2012/3. And I just thought - why stop there? Long hair is something I've always wanted, but was never able to achieve. Being frustrated with stringy ends, or damage - I'd always cut before it actually got anywhere. I have done my own hair cuts & not been in a salon since 1992. This can be problematic since I tend to be obsessive - and hair pulling has been a problem for me. Not so bad now with learning to control it/myself, but I've had bald spots before. So I can be obsessive about having even ends, and S&D. Sometimes the scissors need to be in a hidden/hard to reach place - so that I have to put more thought into why I need them.

Definitely. The ladies at work are all hooked on salons - coloring, cutting, perming...

My family is a close & loving group - always supportive <3. I'm the oldest of 5. My Lovely dear Mom is gone, but sure she would approve. At this age - I really don't care what anyone thinks of my hair. I like it!

* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? Nope!

normal I guess is the pixie length. I have no idea why - I think it's enforced by the salons, who make a great deal of money from these poor ladies.

* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? I have noticed a few women "this age" with longer locks & it's like a sisterhood of rebels - especially with natural hair. Some of this is the religious community - I live in the buckle of the bible belt. In some fundamentalist churches the women do not cut their hair. They also usually wear long skirts.

* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? oh sure - the hairline goes back a little farther (having some success with castor oil there - Thank you LHC) lots of grays, lots of coarser hairs. increased curlies, but only on the back of my head so far. hoping for that trend to spread! need to wash less often. so the oiliness has definitely decreased. overall the strength of my hair has increased - which allows me to grow longer.

* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? I'm embracing my silvers & skunk stripes. My scalp is very sensitive - and much healthier since I quit coloring.

My goal is to have tailbone length braid - so a real long way to go. my growth is stalled a bit, right now - so we'll just wait & see.

enough about me ! I'm enjoying reading about all of you!

Happy Growing, y'all!

Pam

:)

Sophiatrist
August 14th, 2015, 03:39 AM
* How old are you?

* How long is your hair?
I have fairytale ends, the longest of them is at the tip of my tailbone (37"), but I mostly call it mid-back length.

My last cut on the length was Feb '12 when it was about shoulder length. I kept my bangs trimmed for a while after that but I've been letting them grow out for the last year and a half or so. Other than S & D, no trimming.

I had a career in the Navy and while it was possible to grow your hair fairly long (I knew several women who did) and wear it within the 'regulations' it involved a lot of time and effort I wasn't willing to put in. And after I retired from the military I worked in a position that required a certain professional appearance that made it hard to get through that awkward phase of growing it out.

Societal rules? What are those? ;)

100% of the comments I've gotten were positive, many of them jealous that I can grow it out and that it has aged to a nice color.

Only a (previous) professional requirement to keep it looking neat.

Well, normative is definitely to go to a salon regularly and have it cut shortish and colored. But I've never felt as though it was "unacceptable" to let it grow. Slightly eccentric maybe as it approaches a length I consider long.

I don't think these "rules" apply nearly as much to those of us who grew up in the '60's & 70's as they do to the generation before us.

It all depends on what you call long. For me it'll be when the bulk of my hair reaches waist length. That would not be common, but it's certainly not unusual to see longish hair on anyone.

Just the color.

It's really hard to say. In the last five years my hair care routine has morphed from a daily wash/condition/blow-dry and style through stretching washes then conditioner only to finally water only washes a couple times a week.

My only solution - Benign Neglect

Well, care and styling is a LOT simpler. For me "styling" means putting it in braids while wet and then a light comb out and wearing it down with braid waves. You can't get much easier than that.

Beyond that, yes, it is defintely individualistic and an expression of my personality. No one else has the same combination of fairytale ends and natural coloring, it's not that it is special but it's something that is uniquely me.

My hair is virgin, I have never colored it. I started graying pretty early but now it's hard to say what it is. When I clean out my brush it is definitely gray but to look in the mirror or a photo it's sorta platinum vaguely strawberry blond. Regardless, I like the color, it's natural and it's me.

Patience is a very good thing, whether you're talking about hair or life. And loosen the grip that material things have on your life.

pili
February 10th, 2017, 11:02 AM
This thread needs a bump. (I'm not here yet, but I saw a bunch of people looking for this thread and the others linked in the first post.)

Agnes Hannah
February 10th, 2017, 11:36 AM
* How old are you?
50, 51 in March

* How long is your hair?
Inch from Classic

About 4 years

I had MidBack length hair in my 20's, then had it cut when I became a Mum. Decided to grow it when I saw a picture of myself at 40, I looked much older. Always loved long hair but was put off growing it because I was told it was too fine to grow long
Yes people round here tend to cut it and dye it all sorts of colours, perm it and generally destroy it. I ignore these rules though

I was told to glam up once. I put flowers in my hair for the summer, but then ignored the comment. The commentor has short bleached white layered pixie type hair. I like her hair on her but not on me. Had a pixie myself once, it was awful.

* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter?yes

Other people who have had their hair cut short into pixie length styles. They want you to follow suit because they feel uncomfortable that you are not conforming (in my humble opinion)

* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? Younger women have longer hair than most at my age. It is fashionable at the moment so is quite common. Not very men have long hair though. Shame really.

* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? It has got greyer, much greyer, so I hide it with Henna. Apart from that, not really. Its fine and always has been. It grows about the same rate. It has got much longer recently!!

* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? I hide my large amount of greys. They are quite white, but make my hair look even thinner than what it is anyway. Maybe I will have to stop hennaing at some stage, it does make me itch so have to take allergy tablets when I colour. The demarcation line is softer with henna, but it is still there so must think about that in the future, but not yet.

My goal is to keep growing for as long as I can. This year I'm planning on fingertip length and trims to thicken up the hem, then letting it grow as long as possible.

CrowningGlory
February 10th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I'm 52 and have had hair between BSL and tailbone since I grew out from a bob at age 13. Only once did I cut back to APL to remove a spiral perm (it was the 80s). Several years ago my hair started falling out in clumps and it was discovered that I had extremely low ferritin levels. Supplements sorted that but it's still taking a while for my hair to recover. I kept cutting it back to BSL (reluctantly) because below that it thinned dreadfully. I am now almost at tailbone and, while the ends are thinner, they're not too bad and I'm hoping to reach tailbone and maintain there in an attempt to thicken. I've promised to give it at least a year before deciding it's not working and cutting back to BSL. I struggle with the thinness of the ends but I really love tailbone length. It's my happy length.

Other than that, there is pressure to cut - and colour! - but I tell myself to have confidence and to wear it long and greying. I also think it can't be too aging when people always express surprise that I'm a grandmother seven times over.

trolleypup
February 10th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Aha! I didn't repl to this thread, because I wasn't quite 50 the last timee it was active!

* How old are you?

* How long is your hair?
Calf (upper)

Last major haircut was in 1989(?)

Started growing longer in my teenage years when I noticed that it pissed off my mom.

All the societal issues have been over having long hair at all for my sex.

Living in SF, not much. A rare negative comment, always from strangers (exclusively older, and of self-perceived higher status).
Lots of positive comments from people of all ages, sexes, and cultural types.

No

I am longer than the normative lengths in all the social groups I frequent...but that boundary doesn't share to unacceptable for me, just non-normative.

Yes, especially in some social groups

More silver, type and growth rate is about the same.

Silver. Neither love nor hate....they just are. But it would be cool to go absolutely white!

hanne jensen
February 11th, 2017, 05:31 AM
I'm 57. My auburn hair is turning gray, still more auburns than grays. My hair is waist length, 81 cm. I'm creeping towards hip and my goal is as long as it will grow.

I haven't noticed any age discrimination regarding length here in Denmark. I see a lot of mature ladies sporting long hair. I think it's our economy, we're trying to save expenses anywhere we can. I'm not seeing very many hairstyles that have to be maintained here.

My hair has gotten finer in the last 10 years. I have just as many on my head but each hair is finer. I've never had hair this long in my life.

I have felt some pressure from a few people to cut my hair. I've told them that this is a democratic country and if I want hair to the floor that's my business. If they want to shave their heads, that's their business.

I love my grays. I've worked hard for them and they are my medal for surviving life until now. Same goes for my wrinkles.

I have started to chelate more often to make my grays sparkle. We have very hard water here.

pamrlyn
February 11th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Hi All

Welcome to the over 50 club Trolleypup - Agnes Hannah - hanne jensen - it was interesting to see what everyone in this group is up to & also see where I was a year & a half ago.

To update, Now 59 & will be 60 next September.

for thinning hair tried & abandoned castor oil, then Rogaine - now using a supplement called Visiplex professional - with great results. my inner vegetarian cringes about the shark cartilage content - but hair says yes. The hair wins. :)

the curlies continued to spread and learning how to make the most of that texture. yay!
cut straggly/ completely straight ends - about 3-4 inches off , a year ago - so now approaching WL. Same goal of tailbone length braid. No more scissors!

Still embracing the silvers & skunk stripes. and get more positive comments than strange looks.

Darian Moone
April 29th, 2017, 08:18 PM
* How old are you?
I'll be 59 in October, so I guess I can hang out here for a little while yet. :)

* How long is your hair?
Currently at BSL, creeping toward mid-back

Forever!? I cut then grow, then cut then grow. Usually because I mess up my hair somehow.

Had short hair until about the 2nd grade. Then only one excursion into chin length when I was 35 and went on a fat free diet (stupid!) and it thinned my hair something awful, so I had to cut and regrow (and eat!). A pixie cut a couple years ago to get rid of henna/indigo.

Absolutely.

Negative comments from a former employer, and nasty comments from women my age. My best friend told me that she has hair envy toward me though and she suspected that's what the others in our gang were really feeling. All of them have super short hair, like the shortest pixie cuts you could imagine.

Yes, but I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm kinda stubborn that way! LOL ;)

I would say shoulder length. Mainly in a bob style.

I think the rules are stupid; I mean really, what difference does hair length make? Then on the flip side of the coin, I hear women telling me that my longer hair draws my face down, makes me look older, makes me look desperate to stay young, etc. Funny that most men have a positive response to longer hair though. Hmm.

On younger women, but not middle aged. Not on men of any age I don't think. My son is 36 (how did that happen!), and most of his friends are sporting shorter hair than they used to. My son's hair was mid-back until 2 year ago. I must say that he looks better with shorter hair, but that's just a personal thing based on his facial features, etc.

Yes! It's much more coarse and some strands are more wiry. And of course there are those strands of silver!

Just the texture change noted above. Still grows like a weed, and as long as I don't expose my scalp to allergens, everything is fine.

I used a straightening iron on my hair to smooth out the wiry texture. Huge mistake! I knew heat destroys, but kept telling myself "just this one time" over and over again until I really damaged it. I've learned to accept my new hair texture and to stop trying to fight it.

First, warmer in the winter! Seriously. Winters in Michigan are C-O-L-D! Long hair makes me feel more beautiful. I actually think short hair accentuates my facial features better, but I FEEL prettier and more feminine with long hair, so that's what I strive for.

About 40% white in random globs. I cover them right now because they are not distributed nicely throughout my hair, but I hope to go natural eventually. Both my dad and aunt have/had the most beautiful head of thick, snow white hair! I'd love to rock that at waist or TB someday!

Life is far too short not to do the things you feel good about. Don't put it off. The time goes faster than you think!

JillRenee
April 29th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Just turned 50 this February. I had been letting my silvers grow in, and I loved them, but now I find myself job hunting once again. I really didn't want to start dyeing it again!

ElisabethS
May 28th, 2017, 02:30 PM
i'll be 53 next month. just started growing after my last cut in october 2015. as a kid i had it midback, then short but mostly bobish. it's past apl now. would like to see what it looks like at bsl and then maybe waist? stopped dying a few years back and the crown is mostly silver. i like it. i love seeing long white hair! don't know what other people think about it. by my brother once said: are you going to leave it like that? (meaning gray). germans are of the dying crowd :ale:

Ondine11
May 29th, 2017, 05:36 AM
* How old are you?
I'll be 53 on Nov.28, '17.

* How long is your hair?
Currently at APL, with a U shape, due to my 'ex-bangs' that are now 1 1/2" past my chin, & some side layers. growing out layers: AAUUGGHH!!

Since my last chop in Oct 2016 that was chin/neck length with straight bangs (hair-loss & damage recovery chop)

I had WL hair at age six. Decided to go for a BC & went 'pixie'. Grew back to APL, Cut back to SL, then, at around age 13, I went crazy with chemical processes of every type imaginable, fried, chopped & regrew several times, never past BSL. At 51, menopause hit, I stopped taking the pill for 4 weeks to get the FSH blood test. Within a month or two, I had shed drastically, & had bald spots :( . I was forced into an unwanted BC to a chin-length Bob with bangs. Got hormones balanced, initiated my own hair recovery 'drastic measures' & my hair is regrowing! Now at APL BUT healthy, with no bald spots, & no abnormal shedding. Goal: Classic!!!

Sometimes...

Mostly, snarky stuff from people who are unhappy with themselves, or their lives, in some way, "You may LOOK young, BUT you're still old. All of it will catch up to you, one day. Do you actually think you can cheat death?!?" "Are you trying to attract some really young guy?" (umm...I'm VERY married)

The only people who ever make those kinds of remarks, are catty types. Same ones who make snide remarks about me being 'too skinny' (usually, these are people who are perpetual dieters). Note that YOU must NEVER EVER make a comment about their short hair, OR their weight.

WHO DEFINES IT, is the BIG question. Depends on the culture you appear to belong to. IF you are from India, & many other Asian countries, having very long hair, even as an elderly woman, is normative.

For most québécoises, having hair as long as SL when you're older, is quite normal. An increasing number of older women are going silver & letting their hair grow long. Many older women with grey hair, are getting punkier cuts with some purple, blue or pink in it. Good for them: they're having fun!

Silly. Make your own choices. Who needs these rules?!?

Many guys here have SL hair. Even older guys. We are quite a permissive society, when it comes to hair & clothing choices. Most younger women from Asian countries have SL-BSL, with some HL traditionalists.

Yes! It's less curly than I remember it being when I was a teen. It went through a frizzy stage (probably due to chemical & heat torture!) The greys are a little thicker than the rest of my very fine strands, & they're less curly (WOOHOO!)

The only bad thing was the pill-to-menopause-HRT hair-loss catastrophe, from which I have recovered. Other than that, the texture change is great, BUT I have to learn to love my greys.

I'm being much more gentle to my hair. Low heat only, always with heat protectant, minimal handling, ends oiled regularly, SLS fee only, deep conditioning, shampooing only every three days.

I find it makes me look more feminine. Feels beautiful. Easier to manage as it gets longer.

The front is about 40% grey, unevenly dispersed. I admit I still dye it, but, I'm planning to quit. I use a very gentle product, with only 10 vol peroxide.

RESPECT your hair's needs. RESPECT your body & your health. Learn to say NO & MEAN it. Setting & enforcing reasonable boundaries makes you a PERSON, instead of a doormat. Submission is a cruel form of self-abuse. COLLABORATION, however, makes relationships thrive in ways that are healthy for both partners.

AuntyMiki
May 5th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I'm 50 and have super thick wavy/curly TBL hair with a little tinsel in it. I wear it in a cinnabun daily for work and to protect it. My mom hates my hair so much that she gives me judgy looks when visiting. I hate the poodle-do and preconceived notions of how women are "supposed" look at this age. Screw that!

Jools69
July 17th, 2020, 03:38 AM

* How old are you? 50

* How long is your hair? 28-29 inches - u-shaped hemline.

* How long have you been growing? All my life on and off, but seriously the last several years.

* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years? From as a young child, I’ve always wanted to grow my hair, but my parents had other ideas. Not until as a middle-aged adult that I’m seriously growing it out now.

* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths? Yes

* If yes, how has they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral? As a frequent shedder, as a child, both parents insisted that I had pixie cuts in the 70s and when I did managed to grow my hair, my mother called it ‘rats tails’. As a teenager in the 80s, my hair was opposite to the fashion of big hair, so to be included with my peers, I started perming my hair to conform and be accepted. Same as an adult’s in the 90s and 2000s.

* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? Yes. As a child up until my preteens in the 70s, my parents always told the hairdresser to chop it off, when they could get me to go. When I was 13 in 1982, I was pressured and told the only hairstyle open to me was to cut my unprocessed BSL hair into short perm by the stylist and my mother. Since being an adult, the only pressure I’ve felt was from the media, especially now that I’m middle-aged.

* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?) Short pixies to shoulder length. Peer pressure and the media.

* How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them? I think they’re socially constructed attitudes forcing people to conform, so that they can feel accepted by their peers. Additionally, a way for industries to make money by convincing natural hair texture and lengths are not natural to have.

* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? I live in a multicultural society and have noticed that some different ethnicities have longer hair and some depending upon biological sex. Long hair is much more common on younger women generation, with some ethnicities having longer hair on older ladies.

* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? Yes. It was dead straight as a baby to a young adult. It became and continued to become wavier/curlier into my middle-age.

* If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)? I have psoriasis on my scalp brought on with stress, which causes it to itch and weep. I have a prescribed ointment to apply to relieve it.

* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care? All of these aspects. I’m a non-conformist, so I like to do my own thing - whether people approve or not. I think long hair is beautiful and you can do a lot more pretty styles. Shorter hair, IMO is difficult to style and costs more to maintain.

* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? I have some which continue to increase. I love and proud of them. It shows that I have lived. Also, I decided a couple of years ago whether to dye them like most people or not. The cost and damage dyeing can cause, it’s not worth it.

* Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...) Patience, hair will only grow if you have patience and to look after it. There’s no magic potions to make hair grow faster. Be yourself and don’t let others tell you how you should have your hair!

lapushka
July 17th, 2020, 05:11 AM
I'm turning 48. Might soon be able to join here. :D ;)

Pacific
July 27th, 2020, 12:51 PM
I also belong to this thread. :)

* How old are you? 52

* How long is your hair? Classic

* How long have you been growing? I'm here since 2009 and lurking around even earlier, but I had to deal with hair loss several times.

* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years? I wanted to have really long since I was a little girl. I was not aloud to. The longest it was apl till I was 14, I then grew it out to bsl. When I was 18-19 my ex husband wanted me to cut my hair very short. I grew out a pixie and my hair was all those years between bsl and midback. My ex husband didn't want it any longer. In 2006 I decided to grew out my hair. I wanted knee length or terminal, but I had some health issues and stress. Because of those I had some hair loss. Since November 2017 most things are ok and my hair is growing.

* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths? Yes

* If yes, how has they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral? The mother in law of my daughter told me, I should either cut my hair back to apl or wear it in an updo everyday because as a mother of grown up children it's inappropriate to wear such long hair loose. I also heard that from two other women.

* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? Not anymore, only when I was younger because of my ex husband.

* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?) Bsl, I'm not sure who defines it but I guess it's women.

* How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them? I don't care about them, but I feel sorry for people who feel pressure about it.

* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? I'm currently living in Israel and in my area most women wear their hair long. Young girls and women down to tailbone I see very often, the older the women the shorter the hair, the shortest usually apl. On men I rarely see long hair.

* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? I'm not sure because of health issues and hair loss in the past. Now I have more hair and it's healthier than 10 years ago.

* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care? I think it's some kind of expression of my personality. As I wrote, I always wanted long hair, it always felt natural and a part of me.

* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? Yes, I have some whites. I'm dyeing with henna for 39 year now and I don't plan to give it up in the near future.

* Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...) It's important to listen to your body and your soul, try to relax everyday even if it's just a little bit, spend time with your loved ones and don't waste time.

Lady Winchester
May 2nd, 2023, 02:45 AM
* How old are you? I'll be 51 on July 25th (at 2:00 in the morning, if you want to know)
* How long is your hair? Just an inch past arm pit level (had it trimmed from mid back length about a month ago)
* How long have you been growing? for about three years (I lost it from chemo, so that's what I count it from)
* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years? I started growing it long after I graduated from high school. Before that it was between chin level and shoulder length
* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths? Yes, but I just ignore them. I would look like a poodle dog with "age appropriate" hair (due to it having natural curl), so screw that
* If yes, how have they manifested in your own life? Have you had comments from friends, family, strangers, employers? Positive, negative, neutral? It hasn't, or at least not much. When my late grandmother (she died last October. She nearly made it to her 97th birthday, since she was born in the middle of November) noticed how long the wig I chose for chemo was, she thought it was too long. Mom came to my defense by saying: "She doesn't care." so even Mom knows that I prefer it long to short.
* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? Nope, since I look younger than my age
* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?) I've seen many elderly ladies with long hair, so I guess I'm not the only one that ignores the so-called "rules". One of my aunts even has long hair (she's in her 60's, and keeps it just below her shoulders. She says she hasn't gotten around to going shorter yet. I, on the other hand, with never do so)
* How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them? I find them ridiculous and agree with Demi Moore on them: "Who says a woman over a certain age can't have long hair? Since when?"
* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? I've seen long hair on both men and women of any age
* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? Just darkening, and a little coarser. This is one change that I'm learning to accept. Gray/white hair (if it ever appears), not so much, since it would make me look like one of the Nazgul (their true form) in Lord of the Rings, so no thanks!
* If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)? same as always, which is basically using a dandruff/dry scalp shampoo and conditioner like Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 Dry Scalp
* What are you best (and worst) solutions to these new challenges? No matter how much I miss my old color, I will not bleach my hair ever again (too much work), so I bought Natural Instincts Medium Golden Brown (which is the closest to my current shade) for when the grays finally appear (if they ever do)
* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care? You can wait longer to get a trim. I usually trim in between six months and a year and a half (had to wait twice as long when I was growing it back from losing it to chemo)
* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? Nope. Will be covering them up with Natural Instincts when they finally show up (if they ever do), since they would totally wash me out (I have a warm complexion that looks too washed out if the hair color is more on the cool side)
* Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...) Don't be afraid to experiment, but you don't have to embrace something you can't accept just because other people do. Do what suits you the best, not others.

knana58
May 3rd, 2023, 05:36 AM
How old are you? 59

* How long is your hair? BSL

* How long have you been growing? Since August 2020

* Have you always had long hair, or did you decide to start growing at some point later on, well into adult years? I had long hair about 13 years ago and then chopped it all off after the end of a bad marriage. I decided to grow it back again in the last couple of years.

* Have you noticed any societal, unwritten "rules" or norms about certain ages and hair lengths? I have. There seems to be an unspoken thought that long hair is for young women and that you are trying to hold on to your youth if you have it long as an older woman.

* Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? I have felt pressure to cut it shorter. I have been told "It makes you look younger when your hair is short." I have also been told that long hair is a symbol of submission to a man so I needed to cut my hair to be free from that.

* How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?) Usually shoulder length or shorter.

* How do these age related "rules" feel to you and what you think about them? They feel outdated to me and I do not want to be bound by those rules.

* Is long hair common where you live? On men? On women? I do see it from time to time. I live in the city and I mostly see well styled shorter hair. I see a few men with long hair.

* Have you noticed your hair changing with years? Most definitely. It has gone from fine to slightly coarse and from stick straight to wavy with a few curls. It is also drier than before and I do not have to wash it as often.

* If yes, what kind of needs your hair/scalp has these days? Have you found any age related problems (health, growth, more dry, sensitive scalp, possible thinning, texture changes...)? I have hypothyroidism and before I was on medication I was losing a lot of hair. It has regained it's thickness. My hair is much drier though and very flyaway. I have so much hair it feels like it overwhelms me often.

* What are you best (and worst) solutions to these new challenges? I do not use any heat styling or products with the exception of shampoo and conditioner.

* What are the best aspects of having long hair to you? Is it empowering? Beautiful? Rebelious? Individualistic and expression of your personality? Easy to style and care? I like how easy it is to take care of, I just wash and air dry and I do not have crazy hair standing up in the morning! I also do like the idea of not conforming to the "norm" for my age.

* Do you have silvers or whites? Love them? Hate them? Cover them? Let them shine? What's your take? I am about 50% gray and I am currently growing out to virgin hair. I have multicolored hair right now! I am loving my silvers and I am looking forward to the day when I have all silver hair.

* Any words of wisdom you have learned? (About hair, patience, life...) Slow down and take time to enjoy something simple each day: a sunrise or sunset, flowers, animals, small children. Laugh often. Love freely. Life really is short and it is so easy to get caught up in the complexities of it. Do not try to be like others, be yourself! You are unique and wonderful!

Dark40
May 8th, 2023, 06:05 PM
I would love to join this thread! I'm between the ages of 50-60! :)

Krissycats
May 9th, 2023, 10:43 PM
* How old are you?

* How long is your hair?
Tailbone, moving toward classic.

Six years. I’ve had several big trims.

I wore it long when I was younger, then cut it in my 30’s.

Not too much where I live. I heard some when I was younger, but not so much anymore.

Have you felt pressure to cut shorter? My husband wanted me to cut it shorter but I ignored him.

How short/long you'd say socially "acceptable" or normative hair length is where you live for your age group? What is the line of "acceptable"? (And who defines it?).
Several co-workers around my age have super long hair. Maybe it’s California! Lots of long hairs here. Most of my coworkers have hair that is shoulder length or longer.

Be yourself and make yourself happy.

Very common with all age groups. I am a first grade teacher. One boy in my class has hair as long as mine. He usually wears it down or in a braid. Most of the other little boys have short hair. The girls in my class all have mid-back length or longer.

It makes me feel prettier and better about myself. I love trying different styles and using various hair toys. I also am happy to not have to go to a salon and have someone else maintain my hair.

My hair is coming in white, but I can see some darker parts, especially at the crown. I have a few dark streaks in the bangs, too, which I like. I am trying to take better care of myself and limit my exposure to chemicals so my hair is all natural.

Take care of it, keep it up in protective styles, and don’t stress over the length. It will grow. Keep away from scissors. If you feel like you want to cut it, wait a while and see. Try to eat healthy for your hair each day.