PDA

View Full Version : EDGES :( Does anything help?

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Since I grow my bangs out and wear them back I can see my edges again.
I have tons of babyhairs there but they never grow long and thick so that the edges aren't visible.
I've read somewhere that people with a widow's peak tend to have edges more often than people without.
It looks a bit strange when my hair is back, it's extremely visible on me because I'm so pale and my hair is so dark. Especially my scalp is white like snow, so my parting is always extremely visible (which I actually like) and so are my edges, even though my hair is very thick.
Is there something I can do about it? As I remember I've always had them.
It looks exactly like this on me:
https://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/komischer-haaransatz-hilfe-/0_big.jpg

But, as I said, on me it's much more obvious because I'm not blonde and not tanned like this woman.
Mine are triangle-shaped like hers too and you can see them extremely when I wear a french braid and braid my bangs in or a ponytail like this.
Do you think it looks bad like this?
Should I try to conceal them with bronzer or something? I've read that some brown-skinned girls do this. They put bronzer or matte eye shadow on the edges.
I don't actually know what to think about it. Should I be self-conscious about it or adhere to it?
Or is this just how my hairline looks like? It somehow looks like an M... It's always been like that, as I remember...
Or is there something I can apply on them to make the hair grow better there?
Thank you for help.
:)

Edit: My babyhairs are not the problem. I like them, they are cute. The problem is that they are not enough and not thick enough to cover the edges.

Aderyn
July 9th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Everyone has little baby hairs around their edges, it's totally normal and I think it looks lovely!

These hairs are some of, if not the most, fragile hairs on the head. You just have to baby them and be very careful with them. No pulling them, no tight styling, careful detangling/brushing, etc. I recommend lightly oiling/putting leave in on your edges (and nape hairs while you're at it) every once in a while to provide a bit more protection. I would be cautious of coconut oil since that can be drying, but most oils should be fine.

DeadlyUnicorn
July 9th, 2015, 10:59 PM
I have a lot of baby hairs. Some are really short and some are about 3-5 inches long and don't fit into ponytails or braids.. I wouldn't worry about them really. I personally think they look nice. Everyone has them anyways. :o

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 11:06 PM
I like my babyhairs, it's not the problem. I only dislike the edges and that I don't have enough hair there to cover them.

Doreen
July 9th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I know what you mean; I have black hair and light skin and I never like wearing my hair completely back because of the weird line. My bangs are at chin length now and I usually roll them under and pin them behind my ear, which effectively hides it on the front and the one side. On the other side it's there but not really noticeable.

I don't have any solutions besides this... if you don't have bangs you could still section off the front and roll it under and pin it, then incorporate whatever tail is left into the rest of your hairstyle.

I tried filling in with powder once but I already have a short forehead and it made me look too hairy. If you have a high forehead you might have more success, but personally just did not work for me.

stachelbeere
July 10th, 2015, 12:18 AM
hey Wusel, I have the exact same hairline as you do [I describe it more like a Mikey Mouse hairline though hehe]! I saw this video a while back, maybe it'll help? personally I don't have any negative feelings about my hairline - I could focus my attention on it but I choose not to. Also, it's 'normal', sooo... whatever :shrug: Therefore the only tip I took from the video was arranging my hair in a flattering manner around my face which is always a good thing. Maybe, if there'll be a super formal event with a ton of pictures I might darken those areas but I really see no need to do this on a day-to-day basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04pS4yQiNQ

Wusel
July 10th, 2015, 04:09 AM
hey Wusel, I have the exact same hairline as you do [I describe it more like a Mikey Mouse hairline though hehe]! I saw this video a while back, maybe it'll help? personally I don't have any negative feelings about my hairline - I could focus my attention on it but I choose not to. Also, it's 'normal', sooo... whatever :shrug: Therefore the only tip I took from the video was arranging my hair in a flattering manner around my face which is always a good thing. Maybe, if there'll be a super formal event with a ton of pictures I might darken those areas but I really see no need to do this on a day-to-day basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04pS4yQiNQ

THANK YOU!!! :) Great video.
Thinking about ordering the hair fibers. Did you try this? :)

http://www.amazon.de/HairSoReal-Microhairs-28g-Haarverdichtung-DUNKELBRAUN/dp/B00CNQ8HKO/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1436522557&sr=1-3&keywords=haarfasern

missrandie
July 10th, 2015, 07:02 AM
I've always just loosened up my styles... I've never liked them severe or tight anyway. I also have an off centered widow's peak :)

If you really are ultra concerned, the hair powder does look like a good option.

MsPharaohMoan
July 10th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Loosening the style definitely helps. I also take the baby hairs out of the hair that is pulled back so they frame my face and look all wispy.

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 10th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I have tons of baby hairs. I know how frustrating it can be. They tend to be very fragile too.

lapushka
July 10th, 2015, 10:06 AM
For those of us who just want to let them be free (no slicked back edges), join the club:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Gertrude
July 10th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I could perhaps have put this in the Complaints thread. But it's not really a complaint. Having the Houdini escaping slippery hair I had the opportunity to have a French braid done professionally. My own efforts just fall apart very quickly. The stylist pulled the hair really, really tight and the resulting braid really did hold with only a moderate amount of fuzzyness after 5 hours or so. The pulling gave me an instantaneous headache. But more than that it gave me a " facelift" as my forehead was pulled straight up. It also displayed my hairline with the classic male hairline deep edges. It was staggeringly unflattering. And though my recession hasn't moved further back at all over the years I couldn't help but panic whenever I caught sight of the sides.

I am also blonde and the baby hair is really fine and very pale. The rest of my hair has darkened to golden blonde as an adult. See through hair and clear space (-; I just drape my hair softly as I pull it back into the braid( s) for my buns and to wear down in a braid for the gym and Pilates. In the bun I don't need to redo the braid(s) but when I wear it down I do need to. I now know that I don't need to live this way! If I am prepared to scrape my hair back and really pull it hard I too can have a braid that holds. And look ghastly (-:

The video is amusing, and that bit with the powder and hairspray is how Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst, a drag act, enhances his beard. Each to his or her own, but many women have hairlines like it and it's in my opinion not really worth getting worked up about and dusting on compounds to fake more hair. Once you stare hard at any part of your body and become self conscious about it your perspective goes a bit.

lapushka
July 10th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Once you stare hard at any part of your body and become self conscious about it your perspective goes a bit.

QFT, quoted for truth! :)

DreamSheep
July 10th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I think everyone has these - I've never seen a head of hair in a ponytail without! I think they are perfectly natural and not ugly at all ^-^

Wusel
July 11th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I think everyone has these - I've never seen a head of hair in a ponytail without! I think they are perfectly natural and not ugly at all ^-^

Thank you. That's comforting. When I see it now it's actually nothing extremely bad for me because I'm used to this but it's the people around me who make me self-conscious about it... But you are right, I've seen some ponytails like this so, maybe other people are used to this too and don't notice my edges as something strange too.

yogagirl
July 11th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I have that zig zag hairline too. Yes, it is totally normal, but mine does look worse than others' so it annoys me. When doing regular buns/ponytails, I agree with MsPharaoMoan, loosening the style or pulling out bangs makes the hairline invisible. BUT like you said Wusel, for French braids and -my bigger issue- face framing braids, this does not work AT ALL. Basically I can't wear face framing braids which is a bummer because they can look so cute :(

Wusel
July 11th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I have that zig zag hairline too. Yes, it is totally normal, but mine does look worse than others' so it annoys me. When doing regular buns/ponytails, I agree with MsPharaoMoan, loosening the style or pulling out bangs makes the hairline invisible. BUT like you said Wusel, for French braids and -my bigger issue- face framing braids, this does not work AT ALL. Basically I can't wear face framing braids which is a bummer because they can look so cute :(

It looks good when I loosen my french braid. I've tried it yesterday. And when I loosen my face framing braid, when my bangs are longer, I think it works too... Did you try to do a messy, loose face framing braid?

yogagirl
July 11th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Hmm loose won't work because I have slippery hair. I have to make them tight, otherwise they unravel and/or look weird.

I guess I have a bad combination of zig zag hairline, slippery hair, and not a lot of volume at my temples.

Night_Kitten
July 11th, 2015, 05:13 AM
I have those edges too, and dark hair / light skin (a combo I actually like) so they are quite visible, but I'm not too bothered by them... A lot of people have them, and I don't think it looks bad or strange...
If you don't like them or think they don't suit your face shape / rest of hairline shape you could try the hair powder (though personally I'd be too lazy to keep up with it for long) :)

stachelbeere
July 12th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Thank you. That's comforting. When I see it now it's actually nothing extremely bad for me because I'm used to this but it's the people around me who make me self-conscious about it... But you are right, I've seen some ponytails like this so, maybe other people are used to this too and don't notice my edges as something strange too.

what monsters would do that??? don't let them make you feel that way :(

I noticed you guys talking about french braids and this hairline - I actually found a great solution for that. Start with how you would wear your hair down, with a side part, middle part - wherever. Then start braiding at the crown of your head and add diagonal (or more like arch-like) sections from around your part while braiding downwards. I like to curve my braid to the left so I have a side braid. That way you can arrange your front however you want to - you can do a micro braid and braid it in, or twist some sections in...

And, as a bonus it gives you that desirable little bump at the back of your head as if you teased your hair ;) yeaaah.

Wusel
July 12th, 2015, 03:44 AM
what monsters would do that??? don't let them make you feel that way :(

I noticed you guys talking about french braids and this hairline - I actually found a great solution for that. Start with how you would wear your hair down, with a side part, middle part - wherever. Then start braiding at the crown of your head and add diagonal (or more like arch-like) sections from around your part while braiding downwards. I like to curve my braid to the left so I have a side braid. That way you can arrange your front however you want to - you can do a micro braid and braid it in, or twist some sections in...

And, as a bonus it gives you that desirable little bump at the back of your head as if you teased your hair ;) yeaaah.

Thank you, that sounds like a great idea! I definitely try this! :)

Magalo
July 12th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I put eyeshadow on my hairline. :p Same powder I use for my eyebrows (they are quite sparse). I have a very slight widow's peak that I draw to make it more visible and I fill the empty spots. :) Takes 1 minuted and it boost my confidence to the max. :)