PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia HairWorks (computer graphics)

EdG
July 9th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Here is some news for long-haired computer enthusiasts: Nvidia announced an improved technology for rendering realistic hair in video games.

NVIDIA Shakes Its Flowing Mane With Life-Like HairWorks 1.1 Demo (http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-shakes-its-flowing-mane-with-life-like-hairworks-11-demo)

The article includes a good video.

Rendering realistic hair requires a lot of computation. This is especially difficult for video games that must be rendered in real-time (movies are rendered much more slowly at minutes per frame).

I note that the claim of 500,000 hairs is much more than the average person's 100,000-150,000. I suspect that the author meant segments of hair strands.

It is always good to see hair as a driver of advancements in computer technology. :cheese:
Ed

meteor
July 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Awesome stuff! :applause Thanks so much for sharing, EdG! :thumbsup:

I know recreating realistic hair movement is a huge challenge in computer graphics (remember the much-discussed achievement for Brave/Merida's curly mane by Pixar (http://www.wired.com/2012/06/pl_bravehairtech/)?), so it's great to see such incredible improvement since then! :applause

By the way, all this stuff makes me think that someday we might use all this programming to create robots that will quickly scan super-matted/dreaded hair and find the path of least resistance and detangle it in no time! That would be so awesome! :cloud9:

Loktra
July 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Wow! I especially loved the demo on the animals. After playing skyrim mods with long hair (but no physics whatsoever) this is just a dream come true. Unfortunately in this case, I'm probably going to be sticking with my AMD for a good long while.

I wrote a really long rant on my feelings about game hair, but I'll shorten it to this: The HairWorks hair is great, but I hope any games that make use of it in the future have facial animations and the like up to the same caliber.

I suppose this does give me some direction on what my next graphics card will be.

EdG
July 9th, 2015, 06:21 PM
meteor - thanks for the link! :)

Loktra - I too own AMD video cards.
Ed

Aderyn
July 9th, 2015, 06:46 PM
That's fantastic! I've always wanted long hair in video games, but it always has issues such as clipping/not laying properly/etc. I'd also love to see more curly hair! Nice to see some significant progress. :)

EdG
July 9th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Aderyn - maybe we'll see more loose hair too (Laura Croft wore a braid because computers at that time couldn't depict anything else).
Ed

DeadlyUnicorn
July 9th, 2015, 10:46 PM
I can not wait for the day every game has these features for all lengths and types of hair.. I'm thoroughly disgusted with hair in some games.. And honestly it isn't even so much the graphics most of the time but the style options.. The older games I understand they just couldn't do it very good but.. Some of the newer games (GTA5s female hair... The female online characters in general, what were they thinking?? x.x) I feel like they have no excuse lol. But I suppose it doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather have a good game than good graphics

iYaap
July 10th, 2015, 04:23 AM
This is the best news since the calculating-machine! Guild Wars should instantly implement this technology! ;)

EdG
July 10th, 2015, 08:10 AM
DeadlyUnicorn - I must admit that I'm not a gamer. I have always been interested in computers.

iYaap - we're the most likely people to cheer for computer graphics technology for long hair. :cheese:
Ed

Nightshade
July 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Wow! I especially loved the demo on the animals. After playing skyrim mods with long hair (but no physics whatsoever) this is just a dream come true. Unfortunately in this case, I'm probably going to be sticking with my AMD for a good long while.

I wrote a really long rant on my feelings about game hair, but I'll shorten it to this: The HairWorks hair is great, but I hope any games that make use of it in the future have facial animations and the like up to the same caliber.

I suppose this does give me some direction on what my next graphics card will be.

I agree on Skyrim and modded hair. I can't wait for this (and I'm running NVIDIA so hurry it up, guys!)

velorutionista
July 10th, 2015, 11:37 AM
That's really cool - especially on the animals (it's amazing how it makes them so much fluffier!)

Ares
July 18th, 2015, 03:24 AM
AMD TressFX, anyone? :rolleyes:

EdG
July 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Ares - I have read about AMD's TressFX. It is good to see that both Nvidia and AMD are working on the important things. ;)
Ed

Ares
July 18th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Haha, yup. Don't think they ever really did anything with TressFX though. At least not from what I've noticed.

(Source: I have a Radeon 280. I'm not good at hardware or a big gamer, my BF gave me his old gaming PC haha)

WannabeViking
July 20th, 2015, 01:18 PM
This has really come a long, long way. TressFX in the Tomb Raider reboot was pretty awesome; this is even better! Hopefully won't melt your GPU anymore either.