PDA

View Full Version : DIY hair hack: make your hair elastic hair-friendly with a button

meteor
July 9th, 2015, 03:41 PM
In my search for hair-friendly, gentle but strong elastics (like these (http://www.basler-haarkosmetik.ch/haarteile-haarschmuck/haarschmuck/haargummis/solida-zopfhalter-emma.html)or these (http://www.haarmarkt-online.de/Bilder_ebay/zugfest2.jpg) bungees with hooks, which aren't available where I live, unfortunately), I found this video on YouTube that I think is a brilliant hair hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV-WclV5-kw

- sew any button of your choice into any regular elastic you like (without metal);
- fold the elastic in two and wrap it around your hair;
- slide the loop over the button and you are done! :)
Just a gently wrapped, "buttoned up" elastic rather than an elastic that requires that you pull all the length & thickness through, ripping at hair. Super easy to put on and take off. Particularly useful for really long or fragile or thick hair. It also solves the problem of stretched out elastics, because you can just wrap more than once easily.

I apologize that this video is available only in German, but I think it's crystal-clear. :)
The demo starts at 4:20
And the sewing process starts at 2:20

wilderwein
July 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Great one!!! And it also looks extremely cute! thank you for the tutorial :flowers:

missrandie
July 9th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Well all be damned! That's pretty cute! And slick! And easy!

lapushka
July 9th, 2015, 03:54 PM
That's a neat idea! :)

copperlites
July 9th, 2015, 04:18 PM
ohhh I love this idea and just happen to have a huge collection of vintage buttons! I think i can whip up a few beauties! Thanks for sharing!

meteor
July 9th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Thank you, guys! :)
^ And that's neat, copperlites! :D And with vintage buttons you can elevate a simple elastic to hair toy status! :applause

I think this is so much sturdier and more hair-friendly (not to mention cheaper!) than those bungees with hooks... I just wish I had found it earlier, when I still wore ponytails.
However, this buttoned elastic will allow me to do all those cool buns with ponytail as the base (and they weigh so much less!), e.g. Chinese bun, braided Chinese bun, the Oval Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkT7Hok3IHA), the Vortex Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8), that cool Diagonal Braided Boho Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jclvp_VYxAo) I've been thinking about for ages, JJJ/LadyLongLocks (https://www.youtube.com/user/JJJLongHair4u2c)' buns (she often start from ponytails)... the list goes on and on... :D
I'm pretty excited about new hairstyling options opening up now! :joy:

vpatt
July 9th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I don't have vintage buttons, but I do have some cute ones I've been saving. Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

Colochita
July 9th, 2015, 05:53 PM
This is a Great hair hack. I'm about to make a zillion because we collect loose buttons.

Nadine <3
July 9th, 2015, 06:03 PM
OHHH this is great!! Thank you!!

browneyedsusan
July 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Soooo adorable!!!!

The tutorial was easy to understand, even if I don't speak a word of German. (Okay, I know a couple of words: "saurkraut", and "bier bitte". What more does a girl need?)

I am totally making some of those. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nymphony
July 9th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I just tried it but sadly for me it was a little too loose to stay in a ponytail (or maybe it's supposed to be loose?). I do think it could work for temporary sectioning or as a base for buns however. Note: I have a 3 inch ponytail circumference so of course this could work amazingly is you have thicker hair!

meteor
July 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Soooo adorable!!!!

The tutorial was easy to understand, even if I don't speak a word of German. (Okay, I know a couple of words: "saurkraut", and "bier bitte". What more does a girl need?)

I am totally making some of those. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks a lot, browneyedsusan! :D And I agree: those are the most important words! :lol: :beerchug:

I just tried it but sadly for me it was a little too loose to stay in a ponytail (or maybe it's supposed to be loose?). I do think it could work for temporary sectioning or as a base for buns however. Note: I have a 3 inch ponytail circumference so of course this could work amazingly is you have thicker hair!

Sorry the hold is loose, Nymphony. :flower: Hmm, have you tried wrapping it multiple times for a tighter hold? :hmm:
I guess if it doesn't work, one can always cut off the button and still have the same functioning elastic - it's a zero-commitment kind of trick. ;)

Lady Mary
July 9th, 2015, 07:22 PM
This is genius! I love buttons as well so yay :) Thanks for sharing!

yahirwaO.o
July 9th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Id like to give this a try with black neutral bottom for my braid tessel! It should look fine for a guy!!!

Nymphony
July 9th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Sorry the hold is loose, Nymphony. :flower: Hmm, have you tried wrapping it multiple times for a tighter hold? :hmm:
I guess if it doesn't work, one can always cut off the button and still have the same functioning elastic - it's a zero-commitment kind of trick. ;)

Actually a few more wraps over the button helped quite a lot! Thanks for the suggestion!
While I do love zero commitment tricks, I think I'm going to keep doing this one!

pailin
July 9th, 2015, 09:09 PM
This reminds me of the hair elastics I had as a kid- a figure-8 (with metal in the middle, unfortunately), and a big round plastic bead on each end. Those were much easier for me to use on ponytails when I was little.

Colochita
July 9th, 2015, 09:31 PM
This reminds me of the hair elastics I had as a kid- a figure-8 (with metal in the middle, unfortunately), and a big round plastic bead on each end. Those were much easier for me to use on ponytails when I was little.

I used those too. We called them baubles. :)

Doreen
July 9th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing! This is pretty revolutionary! Maybe I will attempt a mini-ponytail again...

ositarosita
July 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM
LOVE IT!!!!!!! I need to find some cute buttons and some elastics (all of mine have died I only have 2 left) then I will definitely be making a ton of these.

woodswanderer
July 9th, 2015, 11:00 PM
I might want to do this for the cute factor alone! They have some pretty fancy buttons available these days.

Hairkay
July 10th, 2015, 01:13 AM

I used them too. Sometimes if they broke we'd just buy new elastic thread the baubles through it, knot the elastic to make a new one if we didn't want to go through the trouble of finding new baubles. The DIY fix wouldn't have the metal bit and it'd be shaped like an O. It worked the same way though.

YvetteVarie
July 10th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the hair hack. Now I can safely bun and ponytail for summer :)

lapushka
July 10th, 2015, 04:04 AM

Yep I remember those. My mom used to use them differently, and wrapped my hair in one end (like a real elastic), then the other, so she didn't use them as you should.

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Looks like a nice idea, I hope it works for many!

I'm one of those people who always think about worst case scenarios in my mind, and couldn't help but wonder, if this would compromize the elastic so, that it would snap easily? Or, another scenario, the button might come off as it's only attached to thin elastic. This would probably more of a possible problem for thick and heavy hair, where the elastic is stretched quite a bit putting pressure on the button and the area that has been punctured by needle and thread. Also, the way she finished off the sewing, it seemed a bit unreliable for something that is so small and stretchy by nature (although that method is a well known and functional one in general).

missrandie
July 10th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Arctic, a way to fix that would be to just tightly wind the thread around the elastic when you go through the button, instead of stabbing through the elastic. That would preserve the integrity of said elastic.

And, if the button is properly attached with ample thread, I don't see there being a problem. If you only wrapped the thread around and through a couple of times, sure. But not if properly done.

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Actually a few more wraps over the button helped quite a lot! Thanks for the suggestion!
Awesome! :applause Also, another way to tighten it is to slightly twist the elastic before sliding the loop over the button. This will tighten it but only a bit, not as much as doing more wraps.

Wow, sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing! I've never seen those, but I think it's things like this (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFxc2Un0gdQSQGI-3JEUsEAkJpsfhhlrFx1_i1VbgjuPFg9tUAOg), with metal. After googling images of "baubles elastics" I found some elastics with ornaments, like this rose (http://ak0.scstatic.net/1/cdn2-cont8.sweetcouch.com/142661532626418571-trendy-bauble-elastic-band-rubber-hair.jpg) or this stone (http://img6a.flixcart.com/image/hair-accessory/y/f/z/yarb0018-8904148815903-1-trendy-baubles-rubber-band-elastic-band-original-imadu5xfyzgxgfwe.jpeg), that can probably be used just like a button. :applause

Arctic, a way to fix that would be to just tightly wind the thread around the elastic when you go through the button, instead of stabbing through the elastic. That would preserve the integrity of said elastic.

And, if the button is properly attached with ample thread, I don't see there being a problem. If you only wrapped the thread around and through a couple of times, sure. But not if properly done.

Yes, agree, missrandie. :agree: I want to do the actual sewing slightly differently from the video - winding it rather than stabbing it through (much easier to do, too) and also finishing with a knot or two to make it more secure.

Also, I totally forgot to mention that it would probably work with large beads or a homemade Kanzashi flower (https://www.google.ca/search?q=kanzashi+flower&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0_SfVbnYOYS2yQTTiIugDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ) or something. Anything large-ish with a flat base that can be sewn onto an elastic will do. :D

Laurenji
July 10th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Wow, this sounds super awesome. As soon as I find that giant wad of hair elastics that DS carried off and hid somewhere in the house, I will bust out some of my spare buttons and try this.

Hairkay
July 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Here's what the baubles also spelt bobbles look like.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bobbles+hair+ties&rlz=1C1CAFA_enGB644GB644&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kgugVaTtF8a7UbOgk4gL&ved=0CEUQsAQ&dpr=1

Lesa Marie
July 10th, 2015, 12:20 PM
very cool have to try this one!

Arwenlily
July 10th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I love this! I just made one with a spare button I had just to try it out and I would love it if the hair tie wasn't too tight now. I guess I can try to use a more stretched out hair tie?

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I love this! I just made one with a spare button I had just to try it out and I would love it if the hair tie wasn't too tight now. I guess I can try to use a more stretched out hair tie?

Yes, if it's too loose you can always wrap it more times around the pony or around the button or give it a twist, but if it's too tight, you might need to wait for it to stretch out or just get a bigger elastic and use this one just for braid tassels?
Alternatively, I think this button trick should also work if a large button/large bead is sewn onto stretchy headbands... I just find that headband materials are not tight/sturdy enough for ponytails anyway. It might work on non-slippery hair though... :hmm:

Neecola
July 15th, 2015, 11:44 AM
This is a great idea! I've done the trick where you attach a bobby pin on each side of a hair elastic and use that as a hair bungee which works ok but I like this idea better. Thanks for sharing!

Eraisuithiel
July 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM
It's kinda like those elastic a that are split in half and have a bead on each side. My mum used to use those on me all the time. I never would've thought to just add a button for a similar effect.

rosey4exclaim
July 15th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Totally cool! I would just need to find some smaller hair ties that wouldn't slip off the end of my braid.

meteor
July 15th, 2015, 04:20 PM
^ Rosey4exclaim, for what it's worth, I made a button-elastic from a really large, stretched out elastic and I wear it on my braid tassel (wrapped around a couple times) and it holds like a champ! :D It probably depends on whether or not there is much taper, or layers, etc, but I don't think one necessarily needs a tiny elastic for a braid tassel: a larger one wrapped around a few times will work just as well! ;)

What I love about it is that it takes a lot less time to put on and take off than a standard elastic... and of course avoids pulling out hair. :D

Robot Ninja
July 15th, 2015, 04:39 PM
You could just get some elastic from a fabric store and sew the ends together, and wrap a piece of bias tape around the join to make it look nice. It might last longer than a hairtie.

I used to wear those bauble things too!

stachelbeere
July 15th, 2015, 04:46 PM
what an awesome idea!

Colochita
July 15th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Update: These work wonders for thick hair. I held all of my hair back in a bun with it secured once.

fairycurls
July 20th, 2015, 06:53 PM
This is awesome! I'm going to try this tonight!

Zesty
July 20th, 2015, 07:03 PM
This is great, thanks for sharing! Gotta love when things are cute and functional. I might have to pick up some supplies...

Sarahlabyrinth
July 20th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Wow, that is so clever. When I was at school everyone used to wear hair bobbles - except me. I always admired them but could never figure out how to use them. FINALLY I know.

And since they are so hair friendly I can now get some and do styles which begin with pony tailed hair.

ETA: I just went and bought myself some bobbles on Etsy :)

Arctic
July 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I made 2 of these today, one big and one small. I'll update when I get some user experiences :) so far so good!

Radioduck
July 28th, 2015, 02:09 PM
That's absolutely genious. I've been looking for a simple way to dress up my hair ties a little, and I will definitely try this trick.

Arctic
July 28th, 2015, 02:27 PM
My first experience was, that I find it very difficult to remove these from my hair. Especially the big elastic, which is slightly difficult size right now before it stretches. It's too big wrapped once but very tight wrapped twice. I found it impossible to get it opened in reverse order I had put it on (wrapped twice), and had to drag the elastic down from my hair and it felt damaging and pulled a lot. I think if I'd had used a smaller button that would have helped.

The smaller elastic was easier to take off (wasn't as tight and has smaller button), but I still had difficulties to get my finger under it to flip it back over the button, and ended up also dragging it down out of my hair.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was expecting the removal to be easy, and one that would not mess up my pony/braid, if I'd use this elastic for temporary hold my hair up while doing some styles. Right now it messes my hair more than if I'd use a regular way. I felt the removal would have been easier if I'd see what I'm doing.

Otherwise they were easy to use (and make), held well and felt comfortable.

meteor
July 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
^ Interesting, I don't have that problem when taking them off. But the buttons I chose are small and concave in shape, so maybe that's a factor? Also, I've only used them on the ends of my braids (because I don't wear ponytails), so I can actually see the end of the braid and bring it closer if needed to take off the loop carefully. If you can't see the thing or have to fiddle with it in the back of your head without a mirror, that thing probably wouldn't work too well, sorry. :flower:
Also, if it (or any other hair tie) ever gets stuck in hair, I'd use something long and thin like a bobby pin or something like that to take off the loop instead of dragging it off hair - it's probably less damaging. :)

Colochita
July 28th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I've found that I've had issues too. My elastics very quickly lose integrity. It's not just near the button either. I don't know if it's because they're being pulled in a manner that they're not designed to be used in, but I've had rubber seeping out of the fabric.

Perhaps I need to invest in hair baubles too.

Arctic
July 30th, 2015, 03:52 PM
^ Interesting, I don't have that problem when taking them off. But the buttons I chose are small and concave in shape, so maybe that's a factor? Also, I've only used them on the ends of my braids (because I don't wear ponytails), so I can actually see the end of the braid and bring it closer if needed to take off the loop carefully. If you can't see the thing or have to fiddle with it in the back of your head without a mirror, that thing probably wouldn't work too well, sorry. :flower:
Also, if it (or any other hair tie) ever gets stuck in hair, I'd use something long and thin like a bobby pin or something like that to take off the loop instead of dragging it off hair - it's probably less damaging. :)

Update, I think my problem was a) lack of practice and b) tyeing it around my pony twice, so it was way too tight.

I have now got this work better, by rotating/twisting the elastic several times before I slip it over the button. This shortens the elastic just so, that it's the right tightness (and doesn't need to be wrapped twice), and easy to get off.

I think I "paniced" a bit the last time (not seriously panic panic, but irritated/nervous/hasty) when I couldn't get it off, and became impatient and felt like I need to get it off now, so I ripped it off. I can only guess this "panic" caused me to have problems with the smaller elastic as well, because I haven't had any problems with that one ever since. Good idea about the bobby pin or such, I'll have to remember it for future!

I can't yet bring my braid forward so I can see it, but if I use this at the end of braid, I can see it through a mirror. But if I use one for pony, I am not seeing what I am doing (at least in my big bathroom which doesn't have mirrors set so that I could see the back of my head without holding a hand mirror). But I think I have learned the technique now, so this isn't a problem anymore.

Neecola
July 31st, 2015, 11:21 AM
Arctic, good tip about twisting the elastic to shorten it up!