PDA

View Full Version : Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

bte
July 8th, 2015, 11:54 PM
So, as of March I became 60, so here's a thread for those of us who intend to grow old at the same time as growing hair. As I have posted elsewhere I am 21 years into growing to terminal, but anybody who is still enjoying their hair long at 60 and above is welcome. How many of us are there?

embee
July 9th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I'd like to join in. I started growing in 1990 after a short "boy style" cut. Chopped 8 inches off in 2005. Then put the scissors away except for occasional S&D. Most of my hairs hover near classic with a few "racer hairs" down to mid thigh.... I think it's at term. :) Plan to stay that way as long as possible.

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 06:17 AM
I'm 20 years too young to be here but I'm curious to read about you wonderful longhair ladies and gents.
I reach my goal of terminal when I'm around 60 I think, so it's very interesting for me to read what you write here :)

There's a famous german singer Udo Jürgens who wrote a very famous song, every German knows: "Mit 66 Jahren..."
The hook line of the song is, translated: "Live begins at 66, at 66 you have fun..." and so on.
HE IS SO RIGHT! :)
The most happy, relaxed people I know are all above 60.

kitschy
July 9th, 2015, 06:21 AM
1 year and a few months to go......

I was hip length in 2014 - cut back to shoulder and growing again - this time to terminal!

proo
July 9th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I'm 56 but there seems to be no thread for the 50-60 gang . . .
so hoping I can join in.
Plus i tell people I'm 65 so they'll say "OMG you look fabulous!" - snort!

spidermom
July 9th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Hi - age 61 here. Hard to believe I've been a longhair for 15 years now. I grew out to classic, then cut back several times, all the way to waist and layered in early 2014. Now my length is just above tailbone, and I plan to let it grow as long as it will grow this time.

Madora
July 9th, 2015, 09:07 AM
I'm 69 and have had long hair (various lengths) since 1960. Hope to grow for another year.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/91414JPOOLhair3.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/91414JPOOLhair3.jpg.html)

diddiedaisy
July 9th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I'm 56 but there seems to be no thread for the 50-60 gang . . .
so hoping I can join in.
Plus i tell people I'm 65 so they'll say "OMG you look fabulous!" - snort!

You should start a thread, all of these have only just popped up. That's a good idea to up your age lol

Thinkrgrl
July 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Woohoo!!:cheer::happydance::applause
Count me in, too!! I'm currently 61 and having the time of my life growing my hair long again. Just received a compliment yesterday on my bun. Life is so much simpler not having to fuss everyday with trying to maintain a hairstyle.

going gray
July 9th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Oh me, I am 68!!! Been a member for a long time, my hair should be down to my butt by now, but everytime I'd get it to 22-24" I'd get that pixie style, which is drop dead ugly on me, still I had been convinced at those times long hair didn't suit me. (long story). I have finally reached APL & I'm tall, 5'10 & stopped the coloring. My goal is to be able to do a respectable bun....

THANK YOU! For starting this thread.

LongCurlyTress
July 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I am 57 1/2 and almost at TBL so not quite at 60 just yet, however I still wanted to say hi and please hold me when I round the middle "age" corner at the next bend. Hugs to all and let's keep on growin'!! ;) Would love to see pics of everyone for incentive!! ;) So, HI!! :happydance:
@ Madora you and your hair are gorgeous! Thanks for posting such a wonderful photo. Your hair is so thick and gorgeous!:thud:
@ bte Thank you for starting this thread. Hope it keeps on forever! ;):joy:
@ Kitsche Why did you trim so much? Glad to see you are growing your hair back so much. Hoping it wasn't due to health issues. ;( :eye: I love your blonde curls! ;)
@ pro I love it! Tell them we are older than we are and watch their eyes go crazy with, Are you sure?? Too funny! :cool:

Sorry, I know I missed a few but happy to be here and hello to all! ;)

Caldonia Sun
July 9th, 2015, 07:09 PM
61 here. But I never let it get longer than BSL. Some day ...

kitschy
July 9th, 2015, 07:36 PM
wrong picture.....never mind

kitschy
July 9th, 2015, 07:43 PM
@ Kitsche Why did you trim so much? Glad to see you are growing your hair back so much. Hoping it wasn't due to health issues. ;( :eye: I love your blonde curls! ;)

I got this crazy idea that long hair was pulling my curls out and that if I cut my hair my curls would revive and look better - yeah, it didn't really work. I've decided if you want long hair, then that should be your goal - I've got to quit fussing over my curls - they'll just do what they do.

lunalocks
July 9th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Good to see you, Kitchy! We must have the same birthday as I have one year and some months to go before I reach 60. Hair past classic as of now. Hopefully FTL then.

bte
July 10th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Good to see so many of us! Thanks for your replies and sharing your hair history. Thanks to the mods for correcting the title - I blame old age for my poor keyboard skills - keep on growing! For those not yet 60, there's the 40 and 50s thread!

bte
July 10th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Just thinking - who is the oldest on this forum?

harpgal
July 10th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Hi everybody, this thread reminds me of our old 50s/60s thread. Do you remember that, bte? It really was a lot of fun!

I'm 67 and am at calf length. The last time I had short hair was in my mid-20s.

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Hijack

Adverticing the 50 to 60 years young thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132771

/end hijack

spidermom
July 10th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I thought the same thing, Kitschy, that my long hair was pulling out my 2C wavy-curly texture to about 2A. That along with a left wrist overuse problem (and lots of complaints about drying time, etc) convinced me to cut back to waist length and layered. But no, it didn't bring my former texture back.
This is what I wanted back:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/November2009.jpg.html)
But this is what I have now (tips colored with Manic Panic Crimson):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/crimsontips_zps5e30a424.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/crimsontips_zps5e30a424.jpg.html)

It's a little longer than that now - tailbone when wet, just above when dry. It's seems like I've been at this length for too many months!

Madora
July 10th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your kind words, LongCurlyTress!

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I'm 63,had butt length hair but cut back to waist due to numerous breast cancer surgeries/huge shed [no chemo] Now am near hip.

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 09:03 AM
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l545/chicaaa1/DSCN0288.jpg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/chicaaa1/media/DSCN0288.jpg.html)Trimmed a half inch after I took this pic,never realized my ends were uneven.

Madora
July 10th, 2015, 09:10 AM
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l545/chicaaa1/DSCN0288.jpg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/chicaaa1/media/DSCN0288.jpg.html)Trimmed a half inch after I took this pic,never realized my ends were uneven.

So beautiful, Dulce!!

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Wow! Thanks Madora,your hair is an inspiration to me.

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 09:18 AM
If you edit your post,where is the repost button?I tried to add on to my post,so clicked edit post,but couldn't figure out how to repost the new addition[wanted to apologize for the large pic] on my above post.

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 09:29 AM
If you edit your post,where is the repost button?I tried to add on to my post,so clicked edit post,but couldn't figure out how to repost the new addition[wanted to apologize for the large pic] on my above post.

It's there, lower right corner, called "Save". It's a little bit under the text editor box, so scroll down a bit.

Carolyn
July 10th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I'm over 60 too so I will join in. I remember our old 50s/60s thread. It was fun! I have no plans to go to terminal but I plan to stay long the rest of my life. I colored the last time in February and am planning on growing out my silver. So far so good and I haven't had a desire to have it re-dyed.

LongCurlyTress
July 10th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I got this crazy idea that long hair was pulling my curls out and that if I cut my hair my curls would revive and look better - yeah, it didn't really work. I've decided if you want long hair, then that should be your goal - I've got to quit fussing over my curls - they'll just do what they do.

Oh WHEW!! So glad it wasn't due to illness. ;D I am a curly girl 3b also so I know how much "fun" growing our hair long can be due to the serious curl shirnkage factor ;/. Good luck! ;)

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks Artic!!

LongCurlyTress
July 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
LOL Dulce... no one and I am pretty sure about this.. NO ONE is looking at your ends. Your hair is gorgeous and making me speechless right now if that is possible. Wow!!:thudpile:

dulce
July 10th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks LongCurlytress!What/where is the text editor box?I only see reply,reply with quote on the bottom right..

spidermom
July 10th, 2015, 10:42 AM
So pretty dulce!

vpatt
July 10th, 2015, 11:02 AM
I was getting envious of the younger age threads so I'm very happy to see this!

I am 64. Up to age 30 I was always growing and trimming long hair. At almost thirty I lost my mind and kept short or shortish hair for over 30 years. Now over the last year I am letting it grow for as long as it makes me happy. I believed that story about older women not looking good with long hair. I even helped spread that story.

Yesterday, while shopping I complimented a young woman on her hair. As we chatted I mentioned about some people thinking long hair was not for older women. She frowned and said, " you mean you are supposed to cut your when you get older? I'm never cutting my hair!" That's how I feel now lol.

Not sure if my hair is really 1c-2a.....but I am not playing with waves so much now......just letting it grow.

I am amazed and inspired by all the hair on this thread and the whole site. Also, I may say "women", but I am including men in my thoughts, too.

Ok.....I have to say

Madora, I love that photo....I've seen it before, but I love it. Your hair is awesome.

Dulce, oh my, what can I say....beautiful hair.

going gray
July 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Just thinking - who is the oldest on this forum?

Looks like I am. I'll be 69 in January & will have finally reached my goal!

Oops, wrong statement, I am not the oldest, but sure close.

gossamer
July 10th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Oh my goodness, this made me say "ooooooo!" out loud at my screen. (earning me a confused look from my cat) What gorgeous hair!!!

bte
July 11th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Hi everybody, this thread reminds me of our old 50s/60s thread. Do you remember that, bte? It really was a lot of fun!

I'm 67 and am at calf length. The last time I had short hair was in my mid-20s.
I do remember that thread and am glad it has been revived. I can't match your length (wish I could!) but the last time I had a trim I was in my 30s!

Great to see so many more 60+ with enviable locks. Thank you all for posting and giving encoragement to others under pressure!

harpgal
July 11th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Considering that we are all getting older, can you imagine a 70s/80s thread? Yikes! However, I think it would be pretty cool to still be all together then. :)

Saldana
July 11th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I have another five years to go til 60, but may I join in? After growing my hair to about hip-length (the longest it had ever been!), I did a big chop to avoid a big demarcation line in color grow-out. I'm now dye-free (although I've been sooooooooo tempted....), and at about 28". My goal currently is waist, then start doing micro-trims every 6 weeks (on the sabbats, for those who follow) until all the layers and what-not catch up. Then.....maybe then.....I'll let it grow some more. I really liked waist-length on me, but I'd kind of like to see what terminal is on me. I suspect it's about knee length. We'll see if I go for that. I figure with the reaching waist-length and the 'catch up' trims, I've got another year or so before I am at a place to make a decision whether or not to grow any further. I'm keeping the bangs because I think they're more flattering to my face, and am working like crazy to stay committed to dye-free.

Saldana
July 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM
:thud:

....that is some gorgeous hair, Gossamer!

Arctic
July 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I have another five years to go til 60, but may I join in?

Hi; there is also the 50 to 60 group, that would need active people to get it really started: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=132771

(Sorry about hijacking again! :flowers:)

bte
July 11th, 2015, 10:20 PM
I have another five years to go til 60, but may I join in? After growing my hair to about hip-length (the longest it had ever been!), I did a big chop to avoid a big demarcation line in color grow-out. I'm now dye-free (although I've been sooooooooo tempted....), and at about 28". My goal currently is waist, then start doing micro-trims every 6 weeks (on the sabbats, for those who follow) until all the layers and what-not catch up. Then.....maybe then.....I'll let it grow some more. I really liked waist-length on me, but I'd kind of like to see what terminal is on me. I suspect it's about knee length. We'll see if I go for that. I figure with the reaching waist-length and the 'catch up' trims, I've got another year or so before I am at a place to make a decision whether or not to grow any further. I'm keeping the bangs because I think they're more flattering to my face, and am working like crazy to stay committed to dye-free.
Knee length in yur 60s will be wonderful, and a tribute both to you and this forum. Keep on groooooooing!

bte
July 11th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks LongCurlytress!What/where is the text editor box?I only see reply,reply with quote on the bottom right..May I join in with everyone else to say howgood your hair looks!

Wildcat Diva
July 11th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Just popping in to for a visit to say hi, guys! You are all looking great!

Wusel
July 12th, 2015, 03:40 AM

OMG... I don't know what to say. SO wonderful. I love the color, the texture, the thickness, the hemline...
PERFECT! AWESOME!! WONDERFUL!!!
F A N T A S T I C!!!!!!!

Juanita
July 12th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Great thread. There are truely some beautiful heads of hair in this thread. Mine is just brushing hip, but very thin and needs a trim.

dulce
July 12th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! I was lucky enough to be caught early so no chemo..I had no symptoms so after a certain age make sure you get your mammograms regularly !!It could save your hair and more important your life..

betterhairday
July 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Looks like I am. I'll be 69 in January & will have finally reached my goal!
Oops, wrong statement, I am not the oldest, but sure close.

I think I might be but I must admit that I no longer have long hair. In fact I have had short hair ever since my early 20s and I am 71 now. I love reading the threads and seeing all the fantastic styles that you ladies come up with. I love my pixie style but I admire all of you with long hair. Incidentally I do use very similar products to keep my hair healthy, e.g. argan oil.

harpgal
July 13th, 2015, 01:19 PM
No betterhairday, you are not the oldest. But the one who is will have to speak up as I am not at liberty to say. ;)

bte
July 19th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Hi all! This thread seems to have gone to sleep - maybe over 60s need a nap in the afternoons (lol). Hope you are all enjoying life and having a good weekend. A very windy day yesterday, so I wore a braid for most of the day.

going gray
July 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Okay, well I'm still here, I check in every day. Do have a question ladies. Has anyone experience a large loss of hair? Back around 50, I lost a huge amount in the back of head, right below my crown, about 4" in diameter, A LOT, I am actually bald back in that area, no hair! This is actually hard to write, I know it's only hair! But with growing older & ALL the changes in my body, my hair still remains very important to me! Well suppose so, huh, I'm here on this site. Looking closely at my avatar photo you can actually see it.

Thanks for starting this thread bte..........

going gray
July 20th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Okay, well I'm still here, I check in every day. Do have a question ladies. Has anyone experience a large loss of hair? Back around 50, I lost a huge amount in the back of head, right below my crown, about 4" in diameter, A LOT, I am actually bald back in that area, no hair! This is actually hard to write, I know it's only hair! But with growing older & ALL the changes in my body, my hair still remains very important to me! Well suppose so, huh, I'm here on this site. Looking closely at my avatar photo you can actually see it.

bte
July 22nd, 2015, 07:42 AM

You are welcome! I hve lost a ton of hair over the years, but I still have enough to feel I can show my face here! So long as we still have enough to feel like longhairs that's enough to enjoy hanging around on this thread in particular, and join the over 70s,then he ovr 80s, and then the over 90s, before we use our creaking fingers start the over 100s thread.....

going gray
July 22nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Hello bte, I do the male version of the "come over" & it's hidden! Only when it's wet, it's in plain site. Oh vanity, honestly hair really does matter, everything else about growing older I can deal with, weight gain etc., etc. but my hair is another story. I've been here since 2005, a long time, finally decided to stop with the salons & wear my hair the way that makes "me" feel good, not some so called hair stylist.

Yes, I'm planning on keeping my hair too, as you wrote onward to our golden years.

All the best to you bte, stay healthy!

going gray
July 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Hello bte,

My computer is giving me "fits" I just wrote a long reply to you & it disappeared, then I had a double post above.

I am grateful to be able to do the male version of the "comb over" it hides my huge bald spot & my heavy coarse hair helps to keep it down. When it's wet, that's another story, you see it. Oh yeah, vanity, but hair is important to us women. I can handle my 20lb. weight gain, eyesight gone to hell & all the other blessings of growing older. But my hair is another thing, that is another issue. Been on this site since 2005, a long time, back & forth I would cut my hair, listening to all the so called "hair experts" but no longer. I want my hair long, but with that healthy looking too.

All the best to you bte, happy growing into our golden years!

going gray
July 22nd, 2015, 11:01 AM
I am sorry, can't seem to fix this double posting.

harpgal
July 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
...and join the over 70s, then he over 80s, and then the over 90s, before we use our creaking fingers start the over 100s thread.....
Haha! Pretty funny, bte! But you are right! Those of us who were in our 50s during the other thread, are now pushing 70. Yikes! However, how cool would it be to still be here 10 years from now. Although, I have to say that the way the world is going, I tend to doubt it. :)

going gray, I know how much our hair means to all of us. And hair loss seems to be so painful. I had a bad stress shed a couple of years ago due to family troubles and it was pretty traumatic. Have you given any thought to asking a doctor about your hair loss? He/she might have some answers for you. I have never believed that simply getting older means thinner hair. There are usually other factors involved.

bte
July 22nd, 2015, 01:11 PM
Hello bte,

My computer is giving me "fits" I just wrote a long reply to you & it disappeared, then I had a double post above.

I am grateful to be able to do the male version of the "comb over" it hides my huge bald spot & my heavy coarse hair helps to keep it down. When it's wet, that's another story, you see it. Oh yeah, vanity, but hair is important to us women. I can handle my 20lb. weight gain, eyesight gone to hell & all the other blessings of growing older. But my hair is another thing, that is another issue. Been on this site since 2005, a long time, back & forth I would cut my hair, listening to all the so called "hair experts" but no longer. I want my hair long, but with that healthy looking too.

Thank you - all the best to you, too. I hope you will find a solution to the hair loss and be able to have many more years of hair enjoyment! Good luck!

spidermom
July 22nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
I think my hair has thinned from crazy thick to ii/iii. That's about it, but there isn't any baldness in my family that I know about. It also went from maybe 1C wavy as a child and young woman to 2C almost curly as a middle ager and now back to 1C/2A in my senior years.

I had the oddest experience today. I was taking a walk and had an inner visual of myself as a young woman. But I was telling myself I am a silver-haired senior. My inner visual wasn't having it. haha

Juanita
July 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/peachymango2002/DB342AF1-7866-486F-B84F-B25E204D0EB5.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/peachymango2002/media/DB342AF1-7866-486F-B84F-B25E204D0EB5.jpg.html)

A very bad selfie.
My hair has thinned out due to medications and probably only a third of its original thickness.

Juanita
July 22nd, 2015, 06:15 PM
And Dulcie I must say I am envious of your hair . You have much thicker hair than me.
Spidermom your hair is lovely too.
And I think we all love Madoras hair.

vpatt
July 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/peachymango2002/DB342AF1-7866-486F-B84F-B25E204D0EB5.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/peachymango2002/media/DB342AF1-7866-486F-B84F-B25E204D0EB5.jpg.html)

A very bad selfie.
My hair has thinned out due to medications and probably only a third of its original thickness.

Very pretty! It does not look thin.

I lost a huge amount last fall after fasting......I think it is all coming back in now...but I still have layers to grow out. Lol, I keep going back and forth....one day I say I won't trim at all and the next day I think I should micro trim. My last trim was in January.

harpgal
August 2nd, 2015, 12:10 PM
As some you know, I'm not a big fan of posting pictures of myself on the open internet. However, perhaps this one will encourage others of our "advancing years" that long hair is possible. Today was trim day for me and my hubby took this right after the trim. I rarely measure anymore but I'd say it is close to 62 inches. Ankle is 69 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Tasarwen/Hair/August%20trim2600_zpstgprepou.jpg

spidermom
August 2nd, 2015, 02:02 PM
gorgeous, harpgal! I'm on regrow from a cut last year.

vpatt
August 2nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
As some you know, I'm not a big fan of posting pictures of myself on the open internet. However, perhaps this one will encourage others of our "advancing years" that long hair is possible. Today was trim day for me and my hubby took this right after the trim. I rarely measure anymore but I'd say it is close to 62 inches. Ankle is 69 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Tasarwen/Hair/August%20trim2600_zpstgprepou.jpg

Very pretty, thank you for sharing.

vpatt
August 2nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
Sorry....double post

Carolyn
August 2nd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Your hair is so lovely, Harpgal. Anyone no matter of age should go for long hair if they want it.

Madora
August 2nd, 2015, 04:15 PM

Oh, harpgal, your hair is fantastic! Like something out of a fairytale!

roseomalley
August 2nd, 2015, 09:11 PM
I am 69. I started growing August , 2013. I had a short bob. My hair is now two inches past APL. I would love to get to waist. I suffer with arthritic hands and some mornings putting my hair into a simple bun is a challenge. Realistically, I do not know if I could manage much longer than waist. My hair has thinned at the front/top, but it still looks decent.

lunasea
August 2nd, 2015, 11:30 PM
I'll join, just started growing for the first time in my late 50s. Had a pixie my whole life before that. Stopped dyeing in June of last year. Now at very close to BSL, have long damaged ends and healthy graying hair at roots. Hope to have waist length healthy hair by 65!

Beezle
August 3rd, 2015, 02:45 AM
Hello all. Another qualifier at 63. I'm growing for the first time after being told forever that my hair was too thin to grow. In my 50s I decided to ignore the nay-sayers (who are still very vocal even now - grrrrr) but so many years on I'm still stuck in no-mans land of not-quite-at-waist. Like Rose, I have arthritic hands which leads to me doing an LWB most days, which has possibly caused a considerable number of hairs breaking off around chin length or at least that's my conclusion. I'm currently trying to twist other ways which results in some pretty funny looking dollops but I'm working on it.

It's so inspiring to see such great lengthy and healthy hair. Thank you for sharing your photos Madora, Spidermom, Dulce, Juanita and Harpgal. Did I miss anyone? Of course, I forgot to mention the lovely photos in the profile pictures. In every case, there are some very impressive heads representing the over 60s! Mine is not amongst them but I'm happier with even a tiny bun than I was with 50 years of short hair.

harpgal
August 3rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks y'all, for your kind words. I must say that it is a bit strange to have to include my feet in my hair pictures. :)

Welcome to "geezer-land", Beezle, roseomalley, and lunasea. It is so nice to know there are others out there who want long hair, even at our age.

Danil
August 3rd, 2015, 07:55 AM
I'm 66 (long-time lurker, first-time poster) and my hair is almost to my waist. I've had it very long and very short - about 2 years ago I decided to grow it in again. I'm an amateur photographer and got tired of my hair blowing around while shooting. Now I can braid it back and it is out of the way. I refuse to get the "older woman helmet head" hairstyle, so I guess I'll keep it growing for a while longer. I'm trying to figure out how to let it go gray (or lighter than my own dark brown) without sacrificing length or hair health.

Will have to find a picture showing it from the back.

bte
August 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
I am 69. I started growing August , 2013. I had a short bob. My hair is now two inches past APL. I would love to get to waist. I suffer with arthritic hands and some mornings putting my hair into a simple bun is a challenge. Realistically, I do not know if I could manage much longer than waist. My hair has thinned at the front/top, but it still looks decent.Good to have you on this thread. Grow and enjoy!!

vpatt
August 3rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks y'all, for your kind words. I must say that it is a bit strange to have to include my feet in my hair pictures. :)

Welcome to "geezer-land", Beezle, roseomalley, and lunasea. It is so nice to know there are others out there who want long hair, even at our age.

Lol... I thought your bare feet was a good thing. I seldom wear shoes.

Unicorn
August 3rd, 2015, 06:31 PM
I'm 66 (long-time lurker, first-time poster) and my hair is almost to my waist. I've had it very long and very short - about 2 years ago I decided to grow it in again. I'm an amateur photographer and got tired of my hair blowing around while shooting. Now I can braid it back and it is out of the way. I refuse to get the "older woman helmet head" hairstyle, so I guess I'll keep it growing for a while longer. I'm trying to figure out how to let it go gray (or lighter than my own dark brown) without sacrificing length or hair health.

Will have to find a picture showing it from the back.

There's a member who is growing out her dye, by decreasing the depth of colour of the dye. She has the most gorgeous ombre effect as the hair very gradually lightens towards the scalp and has near classic hair if I recall correctly. She just does standard trims so it will grow out over time.

Unicorn

Babyfine
August 5th, 2015, 09:45 AM
59 here will be 60 next birthday. I like my hair long as I think it suits my face/body type better than with short hair.
Plus my hair loses it wave if cut too short (As Lorraine Massey speaks to in her Curly Girl Book) then I have thin flat hair if cut shorter than shoulder.
So I keep it MBL for now. It is quite fine and thin. I do color with a gentle demi-perm but will go natural eventually.

dancingrain91
August 5th, 2015, 08:25 PM

I hope my hair looks like yours as I get older. It's so pretty!

harpgal
August 7th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thank you dancingrain. I'm sure your beautiful tresses will be lovely at any age. Just be sure and not let anyone talk you into cutting your hair if you don't want to. That is very important as the "social" pressure to do so is very strong. Always follow your heart and keep your eyes on what is beautiful. :flower:

bte
August 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Good to see so many 60+ youngsters.

I am enjoying my relatively new adventure of wearing a braid day and night. Not many men do that, so I do get comments and looks. All so far favourable. Have now worn the same braid without rebraiding for three and a half days. Still looks OK and is amazingly comfortable.

vpatt
August 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I have been French braiding my hair most nights for sleeping and wearing a twist most days. I'm getting more used to having it up. If my daughter does my braid I can leave it up longer. My braids only just last thru the nite.

Groovy Granny
August 14th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Joining in :)
I joined back in 2013 posted a little, and then lost my way when life got crazy.
In my free time I was lurking and finally got back in today with Gumball's help (thank you!!!)
I will be 64 in January and am almost at my goal length (solid waist dry by Christmas).
It is wonderful to see so many longhairs my age ...woohoo lol

ETA: I hit waist in late October :happydance:

Carolyn
August 14th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Hey Groovy Granny! Welcome to this thread.

Groovy Granny
August 14th, 2015, 05:13 PM

Hi Carolyn ~ good to see you again!
Your hair looks amazing!!

bte
August 15th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Joining this thread if I may :)
I joined back in 2013 posted a little, and then lost my way when life got crazy.
In my free time I was lurking and finally got back in today with Gumball's help (thank you!!!)
I will be 64 in January and am almost at my goal length (solid waist dry by Christmas).
It is wonderful to see so many longhairs my age ...woohoo lolGood to see you here - great user name!

Groovy Granny
August 15th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Good to see you here - great user name!
Thank you :)

Groovy Granny
February 10th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Bumping for 'seniors' ; it has been over a year since this thread was active, and we have new members :eyebrows:

I turned 65 last month and am nearing Hip for the 2nd time, after a chop back to MBL from Hip last Spring ...then had a change of heart a month later when I missed the length :doh:

vpatt
February 10th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I want to see some more original hippies posting, come on y'all!

Groovy Granny
February 10th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I want to see some more original hippies posting, come on y'all!

:waving: Hi vpatt

vpatt
February 10th, 2017, 12:42 PM
:waving: Hi vpatt

Hey there GG! Your hair is as beautiful as ever!

Groovy Granny
February 10th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Thank you :o

And look at you...getting so long and silver;how lovely :cheer:

spidermom
February 11th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Still as hippie as ever, but with shoulder length hair these days. I'm starting a new career as a medical assistant, having finished college in December, and I didn't want to remind anybody of their granny with my bun. I might grow my hair out again once I get settled into a job, then again I might just keep it shorter. It's so much easier!

Groovy Granny
February 11th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Good luck with the new career; you are starting anew, when most are retiring!

vpatt
February 11th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Still as hippie as ever, but with shoulder length hair these days. I'm starting a new career as a medical assistant, having finished college in December, and I didn't want to remind anybody of their granny with my bun. I might grow my hair out again once I get settled into a job, then again I might just keep it shorter. It's so much easier!

I'm glad you are happy with your cut. Pictures?

bparnell75
February 11th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Hi, I want to join in here. at 75 I am really enjoying hair journey. I am tailbone and going for classic and then decide where to go from there. I especially am enjoying creating hair toys.

bparnell75
February 11th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Oh me, I am 68!!! Been a member for a long time, my hair should be down to my butt by now, but everytime I'd get it to 22-24" I'd get that pixie style, which is drop dead ugly on me, still I had been convinced at those times long hair didn't suit me. (long story). I have finally reached APL & I'm tall, 5'10 & stopped the coloring. My goal is to be able to do a respectable bun....

If I had to wear my hair down I would be totally convinced It was not becoming. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut with all the beautiful buns ad hair toys I can create or even buy why worry about those things. I like Wildcat Diva's approach....My hair is my hobby........ Besides DH loves it long.
Kathryn Hepburn grew old with long hair in a modified Gibson wich I think looks good on almost any of us.https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/359/31797951720_b766082dcd.jpg In door lighting
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/414/32317485112_81b2dfc9d5.jpgOutdoor lighting

Cg
February 11th, 2017, 03:05 PM
If I had to wear my hair down I would be totally convinced It was not becoming. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut with all the beautiful buns ad hair toys I can create or even buy why worry about those things. I like Wildcat Diva's approach....My hair is my hobby........ Besides DH loves it long.
Kathryn Hepburn grew old with long hair in a modified Gibson wich I think looks good on almost any of us.https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/359/31797951720_b766082dcd.jpg In door lighting

Such beautiful swirls!

My husband loved my long hair too, and got a big kick out of all the different styles and hairtoys.

Forever
February 11th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Hi, I want to join in here. at 75 I am really enjoying hair journey. I am tailbone and going for classic and then decide where to go from there. I especially am enjoying creating hair toys.
Hi, there is actually even a "70-80"-thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805).

longinthehair
February 11th, 2017, 03:43 PM
At 61 now, count me in..been around the forum for 10 yrs, heading into 11th yr. now, I guess I joined 2016. Have finally reached classic and beyond..can't bring myself to do more than microtrimming..though the ends are pretty meager..but surprisingly it keeps on growing..as life swirls around. Seems to be the more it grows, the more I wish to let it do so..it is addictive, truly a longhair at heart, lol! I call it the zen of hairgrowth - find it somehow 'empowering'? One of these days, will be in touch w. a photo. Happy growing to all- long hair is wonderful (the plain and simple truth) and yet it never seems boring to me (always something new and different to try, and love this forum with all our longhaired compatriots who never cease to inspire! Thank you to all. - tlc

Remi
February 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Hi spidermom! Glad to see another member starting a new career too. I get compliments from younger women at college about my hair bun styles. I am quite happy with having longer hair.

Groovy Granny
February 11th, 2017, 04:58 PM
At 61 now, count me in..been around the forum for 10 yrs, heading into 11th yr. now, I guess I joined 2016. Have finally reached classic and beyond..can't bring myself to do more than microtrimming..though the ends are pretty meager..but surprisingly it keeps on growing..as life swirls around. Seems to be the more it grows, the more I wish to let it do so..it is addictive, truly a longhair at heart, lol! I call it the zen of hairgrowth - find it somehow 'empowering'? One of these days, will be in touch w. a photo. Happy growing to all- long hair is wonderful (the plain and simple truth) and yet it never seems boring to me (always something new and different to try, and love this forum with all our longhaired compatriots who never cease to inspire! Thank you to all. - tlc

Expressed perfectly ~ so nice to meet you :waving:

I am very happy growing longer at this age!

When I started growing my hair at 61 my silver curled immensely and I looked like my Grandmother = it aged me....and was very hard to care for.

For me it is LESS work having long hair (vs short), and requires LESS PRODUCTS (and time) to create/hold a style.
I can go a whole week between shampoos and a style will last all day long without a re-touch.

I love having various style options with long hair (bunned/half up/ponytail/braided)....and even more so with all the amazing hair toy choices we have, that allows us to express our creativity and match outfits.

I have had more compliments and have been told I look YOUNGER with my long hair; buns know no age IMHO :shrug:

I will be long for the rest of my days :flower:

longinthehair
February 11th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks Groovy Granny..actually I see a typo in my previous post..meant to say I joined in 2006, as I looked at my profile and mistakenly typed 2016.

Agree with you totally that it's less work for sure than when years ago a few times succumbed to the 'professional-type' bob-type cut..my favourite short style, but way too much maintenance..to keep it looking just right, and I always felt w. shorter hair it had to look perfect with every hair in place, but w. longer tresses, I always feel more relaxed about the look, even if every hair is not perfectly placed..strange phenomena I think about true longhairs.
I have not measured for a few months, so must do that soon and properly update my profile. And have to reiterate - I always enjoy the encouraging words that flourish on this forum, very uplifting. Good adage - "long for the rest of my days"

Groovy Granny
February 11th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks Groovy Granny..actually I see a typo in my previous post..meant to say I joined in 2006, as I looked at my profile and mistakenly typed 2016.

Agree with you totally that it's less work for sure than when years ago a few times succumbed to the 'professional-type' bob-type cut..my favourite short style, but way too much maintenance..to keep it looking just right, and I always felt w. shorter hair it had to look perfect with every hair in place, but w. longer tresses, I always feel more relaxed about the look, even if every hair is not perfectly placed..strange phenomena I think about true longhairs.
I have not measured for a few months, so must do that soon and properly update my profile. And have to reiterate - I always enjoy the encouraging words that flourish on this forum, very uplifting. Good adage - "long for the rest of my days"

LOL I figured that was the year you meant :wink:

Oh yes...I was an 'every hair in it's place girl too' :p
It took a few years of growing out from chin to get me out of the habit (no hair spray)...and now I find I am more relaxed with buns and braids too :o

Glad you like my adage....time is flying by, and it is just -15 years to age 80...IF I make it; so my days are numbered :lol:

Stephsc
May 27th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I'm back again. I grew my hair to below BSL the first time with LHC's help. Then I cut bangs, then layers, then a bob. I was told by my MIL that old women shouldn't have long hair. I can do more with my hair when it's long than when it's short. I don't plan to cut it again. It's shoulder length now. I think my silvers are changing my hair type. Can someone take a guess as to which type it is now? I can't figure out how to attach a photo but it's on my member page. Figured it out. This is air dried with no manipulation.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27464&d=1496026511

Babyfine
May 27th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Over 60 here. I like having long hair. I've debated cutting in bangs but have always talked myself out of it. My hair is quite thin 2a/bfi/ii, I think I look better with bangs but no bangs gives me a bit more thickness for braids and ponies. My hair has some wave so it looks thicker down than it actually is. I have a lot of grey in front, but the back is still mostly my natural brunette. I color my hair for now with a demi-permanent color to keep the greys covered. I like that for now as the demipermanent doesn't alter the natural color, the way a permanent color would. I have considered henna over the years, but now with the increasing grey, the line of demarcation would be so obvious. The demi perm fades out gradually and will be easier to back out of if I want to just let the silvers come in. I think silver is beautiful, but I'm just not ready for that now. But some day....
Right now I keep my hair at BSL or MBL. It's so much easier to put up quickly if I need to be somewhere early and still look decent. I do sock buns, pony buns, chignons, half ups and low ponies. I have some tricks to make my hair look more volumized with these. And I need to update my picture. My hair is actually a bit longer than, despite have cut it into a shoulder length lob in 2013.

Babyfine
May 27th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Good for you!! How much schooling did that require if you don't mind me asking! I've thought about going back to school myself.

Babyfine
May 27th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Very pretty I agree most flattering for anyone. My dh likes my hair long, as well, another reason not to cut it.

maborosi
May 27th, 2017, 10:36 AM

bparnell, your hair color is absolutely beautiful!!! What a gorgeous shade of silver!!

Stephsc
May 27th, 2017, 03:24 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/359/31797951720_b766082dcd.jpg In door lighting

Your hair is beautiful! Love that style maybe after I grow about 10 more inches I can do it.

Stephsc
May 27th, 2017, 03:26 PM
All this gorgeous silver hair inspires me. :)

bparnell75
May 27th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Your hair is beautiful! Love that style maybe after I grow about 10 more inches I can do it.

thanks again ladies, I have added another top knot to my collection for the modified Gibson. The Spock Bun.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4224/34520570060_7128985f43.jpg

harpgal
May 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM
:waving: Hello everybody! I thought I'd stop in and see how y'all are doing. My hair is just the same, albeit a bit whiter and longer. It's great to see you guys.

Fia
May 28th, 2017, 11:45 AM
harpgal! Long time no see. :)

embee
May 28th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Oooh! Harpgal! Greetings!

My hair is just the same too. Maybe a bit more gray, but not much.

Libbylou
November 4th, 2017, 03:32 AM
I can not believe I just found this thread! I am 62 and I joined in 2011 after searching for a natural non toxic way to color my silvers. I used henna for light brown hair and it worked fine. However, I have not colored my hair in almost 3 years. I have about 20% sparkles. I used to wear my hair in chin length permed hair for years, until I found this forum and saw all the pretty hair toys. My hair is now at hip after a 6" trim in May. I can not imagine my hair short ever again. Much easier to style long. The gal that cuts my bangs and trims my ends made the comment "why be like every one else when you can have hair like yours." It is a bit thinner than I remember, but I still love my fine 2a hair. I use toadstool soap shampoo and leave in and on those silver wire hairs I use either coconut oil or nightblooming's salve. I still work in a dusty factory(my last full year, looking at February for retirement) so I wash every other day.

Cg
November 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Welcome, Libbylou, and enjoy your silvers!

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Going for the Natural Highlights and getting used to the fact that silvers will happen in their own sweet time.

Anyone else notice that there's more and more silver-haired ladies around with long (past BSL) hair in their areas? Or is it just a Florida thing?

Rockin' Gramma
November 4th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Just wanted to wave a warm hello to everyone on this thread. I’m 62 and retired, and growing out a bob as I gray (~25%) is a retirement project. It’s been some years since I’ve had below shoulder length, and I hope I can let it grow to at least shoulder and maybe let my dream of a long silver braid happen. And my attitude about aging is to gracefully never give in and never give up, and gently bust some expectations along the way.

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Rock on, Gramma!

http://rs47.pbsrc.com/albums/f151/penohugante/headbangingstickfigure.gif~c200

Alun
November 4th, 2017, 09:20 PM
I'll be 60 on Veteran's Day/Armistice Day 2017, depending on which you call it in your country. 11th of November, anyway.

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Welcome aboard, Alun! Happy Birthday!

It's been known as both, but Veteran's Day since just after WWII.

vpatt
November 5th, 2017, 03:42 AM
I'll be 60 on Veteran's Day/Armistice Day 2017, depending on which you call it in your country. 11th of November, anyway.

Happy early birthday! Welcome to the thread. There is also a salt and pepper thread.

CindyOfTheOaks
November 5th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Hellooooo !
60 here for another 6 weeks or so.
Rejecting the 'norm' and growing the hair long :)

Cg
November 5th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Good for all of you to enjoy your hair! I love my silvery locks. So glad to know about you all, my fellow non-geriatric longhairs. Repeat after me, silver is beautiful....

Sarahlabyrinth
November 5th, 2017, 11:33 PM
Good for all of you to enjoy your hair! I love my silvery locks. So glad to know about you all, my fellow non-geriatric longhairs. Repeat after me, silver is beautiful....

It IS beautiful! :D

lunalocks
November 6th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I had forgotten about this thread! I just turned 61.
There are quite a few long haired older folks (men included) in my city.
I never thought I could grow my hair this long, past FTL and about 5 inches away from knee. I still have very few silvers, due to genetics, but love them and their sparkles.
Beautiful hair on this thread!

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Welcome to all the newbies :waving:

Hope you all join us at the Salt and Pepper thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951) :eyebrows:

Cg
November 10th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Hi, GG. We've missed you!

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Hi, GG. We've missed you!

Thank you; I missed you too :flowers:

Twig
November 14th, 2017, 06:29 PM

I'm tall too, and I always felt that a pixie cut was not proportional to my height...I felt kinda like a pinhead, but I was young and always did what other people thought would be good for me :rolleyes: And it's wavy, so short hair sticks out all over my head. Longer hair is a lot less work, in my unsolicited opinion.

Willowyn
November 15th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I turned 60 this past July, and it's not been a happy milestone. I've been dealing with a bunch of (so far minor) physical problems. I'm still enjoying my hair (and hairtoys), and the convenience of wearing it up out of the way, but the length has become a bother, and it's thinned a lot in the past couple of years. So today I'm off to my hairdresser's for my regular color touch up, and I think he'll be surprised to hear that we're cutting it back to around BSL. Right now I'm at waist. I think. Hard to tell, as I'm high waisted. Anyway, this should be easier to manage, the hemline will be thicker, and I'll still get to use all the pretty toys. Win win.

spidermom
November 15th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Hi folks! Still here, still over 60. One of the downsides is that I spent nearly 2 years getting a medical assistant degree when my medical transcription career evaporated. Turns out no one wants to hire this age. I waffle daily about giving up and signing up for social security or soldiering on through the application/interview/rejection process.

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Posted August 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Joining in :)
It is wonderful to see so many longhairs my age ...woohoo lol

ETA: I hit waist in late October :happydance:

Almost 4 years later, dear Carolyn has passed on :(

RIP silver sister :pray: you are missed :love:

Resurrecting this thread :cheer:

Eyeing 70 :eye:.....hovering @ TBL.....and now 95% silver :flower:

Who's still with me?? :popcorn:

Cg
May 5th, 2019, 02:28 PM
And happy thread resurrection.

I'm still kicking, greying, and hair-growing. So far FTL and a smidge. I have many pretty hairtoys but, dullardishly, keep re-using the same three or four.

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2019, 02:30 PM
And happy thread resurrection.

I'm still kicking, greying, and hair-growing. So far FTL and a smidge. I have many pretty hairtoys but, dullardishly, keep re-using the same three or four.

LOL happy to see you :)

Wow...FTL; it must be beautiful :heart:

I hear you about the fav toy use :whistle:

vpatt
May 5th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Hi GG! :waving:

Cg, I do the same....wear the same 4 styles and the same 3 or 4 hair toys. :ponder:

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Hi GG! :waving:

Cg, I do the same....wear the same 4 styles and the same 3 or 4 hair toys. :ponder:

Hey vpatt :waving:

Every once in a while I push myself to grab/do something different ;)

vpatt
May 6th, 2019, 05:53 AM
I know I should branch out, lol.

bparnell75
May 6th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Hovering near 78, but I did not even join LHC until I was 75. There are times when I get a little frustrated with my almost classic [2" more to go] hair. Mostly because it is very thin. OnNe stick buns are so hard to get to hold, because I have to compact the bun down. Nessa buns are the exception.But I do use almost all my toys. I have over 200 mostly self made. So I try to see none are entirely neglected. Some days I just look to see which one has been neglected and choose it...If it matches my clothes. Here is a pic of my silvering hair.
https://live.staticflickr.com/928/27737941958_9f1ed672b9.jpg
A one stick nessa bun
https://live.staticflickr.com/4861/32550657808_de02db1df6.jpg

bparnell75
May 6th, 2019, 11:12 AM
No betterhairday, you are not the oldest. But the one who is will have to speak up as I am not at liberty to say. ;)

I may be the oldest.....78 in October. Any older out there?

harpgal
May 6th, 2019, 11:19 AM
I am mostly in and out these days. Thank you GG for bringing this thread back to life. I remember fondly the 50s thread we had several years ago. It was a lot of fun and I made good friends there. I am now in my 70s and I just can't believe it.

My tresses reached ankle the end of last year. It was amazing to feel my hair on the back of my heels. However, the tangles were pretty bad from knee to ankle, so a couple months ago, I trimmed back to knee. It really is the perfect length for me.

My updos are rather boring. Either I wrap a braid around my head or make a braided bun using a Greydog hairstick. I love my Greydogs and treasure each one of them.

Hearing the news about Carolyn's passing was such a shock to me. We visited often here at LHC.

harpgal
May 6th, 2019, 11:21 AM
I may be the oldest.....78 in October. Any older out there?
So far, I think you are the oldest, and probably the wisest of all of us. :)

lunasea
May 6th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Nice to see this thread resurrected. I do rotate hairtoys on a regular basis. My hair, which was always on the thin side, is getting even thinner as I age. My feeling is that I may not have fabulous hair like some of the folks here, but at least I can wear fabulous hairtoys. Sometimes I think about getting the long mop cut back to a spikey pixie (what I had most of my life) but that style requires so much upkeep and I'd have to give up all my toys. Lazy and fabulous hairtoys are winning for now. Who knows what the future may bring?

Cg
May 6th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I bow reverently to harpgal, with the patience to braid all that hair to wrap. My PQ (Patience Quotient) is a negative number so when I make a French braid to help anchor this slippery blob I give up around APL and just twist and bun.

Ironically, I always wanted classic so I could create a true crown braid, but by the time I got there it was too much effort to do.

And I'm impressed by bparnell75 whose buns are so gorgeous. Actually I'm impressed by you all, just bc we longhair 60+ers are such a rarity even in this community.

bparnell75
May 6th, 2019, 12:16 PM
So far, I think you are the oldest, and probably the wisest of all of us. :)

That is a nice comment.

Lady Stardust
May 6th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I hope you don’t mind a young ‘un popping in. I just wanted to say that most of my favourite heads of hair from this forum are members of this thread.

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Hovering near 78, but I did not even join LHC until I was 75. There are times when I get a little frustrated with my almost classic [2" more to go] hair. Mostly because it is very thin. OnNe stick buns are so hard to get to hold, because I have to compact the bun down. Nessa buns are the exception.But I do use almost all my toys. I have over 200 mostly self made. So I try to see none are entirely neglected. Some days I just look to see which one has been neglected and choose it...If it matches my clothes. Here is a pic of my silvering hair.
https://live.staticflickr.com/928/27737941958_9f1ed672b9.jpg
A one stick nessa bun

Beautiful :heart:

I am mostly in and out these days. Thank you GG for bringing this thread back to life. I remember fondly the 50s thread we had several years ago. It was a lot of fun and I made good friends there. I am now in my 70s and I just can't believe it.

My tresses reached ankle the end of last year. It was amazing to feel my hair on the back of my heels. However, the tangles were pretty bad from knee to ankle, so a couple months ago, I trimmed back to knee. It really is the perfect length for me.

My updos are rather boring. Either I wrap a braid around my head or make a braided bun using a Greydog hairstick. I love my Greydogs and treasure each one of them.

Hearing the news about Carolyn's passing was such a shock to me. We visited often here at LHC.

Nice to see this thread resurrected. I do rotate hairtoys on a regular basis. My hair, which was always on the thin side, is getting even thinner as I age. My feeling is that I may not have fabulous hair like some of the folks here, but at least I can wear fabulous hairtoys. Sometimes I think about getting the long mop cut back to a spikey pixie (what I had most of my life) but that style requires so much upkeep and I'd have to give up all my toys. Lazy and fabulous hairtoys are winning for now. Who knows what the future may bring?

.... I'm impressed by you all, just bc we longhair 60+ers are such a rarity even in this community.

I hope you don’t mind a young ‘un popping in. I just wanted to say that most of my favourite heads of hair from this forum are members of this thread.

Thanks everyone for jumping back in hereto fellowship :flowers:
It is so great to see you all...and impressive to see our generation being represented so well here :cheer:

LS ~ that was a lovely comment; of course you and anyone on LHC is welcome to visit (((Hugs)))

I don't want anyone to leave :tmi: but I did find this thread as well and bookmarked it for when I hit 70 in a couple of years.
Between 70-80 and still loving long locks! (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)
Please continue to stay with us here even if you post there ;)

Wendyclaire
May 6th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I just turned 65 but I think I’m in the minority. I hate buns and updo’s on me and especially on older women unless you want to look ooooooolllllllldddd grandma, which I do not! Just my personal preference! My hair is about waist length. Just my personal opinion. I just don’t happen to care for buns.

harpgal
May 6th, 2019, 02:33 PM
I just turned 65 but I think I’m in the minority. I hate buns and updo’s on me and especially on older women unless you want to look ooooooolllllllldddd grandma, which I do not! Just my personal preference!
So Wendy, do you have long hair? I do not think there is a person in this thread who looks older with long hair.

Wendyclaire
May 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Hi folks! Still here, still over 60. One of the downsides is that I spent nearly 2 years getting a medical assistant degree when my medical transcription career evaporated. Turns out no one wants to hire this age. I waffle daily about giving up and signing up for social security or soldiering on through the application/interview/rejection process.
Yup, the entire profession (HIM) went down the crapper. I managed hospital medical record departments for over 20 years and medical transcription was an integral part of the department. Sorry that happened to you, I retired too. Just couldn’t handle all the politics anymore.

Cg
May 6th, 2019, 02:56 PM
I just turned 65 but I think I’m in the minority. I hate buns and updo’s on me and especially on older women unless you want to look ooooooolllllllldddd grandma, which I do not! Just my personal preference!

And you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

I think I look my age regardless of how I wear my hair. I never did care about what others thought of my appearance, but others need not feel that way.

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2019, 03:29 PM
I just turned 65 but I think I’m in the minority. I hate buns and updo’s on me and especially on older women unless you want to look ooooooolllllllldddd grandma, which I do not! Just my personal preference! My hair is about waist length. Just my personal opinion. I just don’t happen to care for buns.

:hmm: OUCH.... Be gentle on your long hair sisters! (ETA: and guys lol)
Well, that's your opinion, and you are welcome to it....and you are right about being in the minority in this thread and forum :p

I do not think there is a person in this thread who looks older with long hair.

I think I look my age regardless of how I wear my hair. I never did care about what others thought of my appearance, but others need not feel that way.

I agree with you both, and think updos are elegant looking :heart: plus the hair toys add color and fun to any style and outfit.

I enjoy and prefer my hair being down, but it goes up for hats, hoods, chores, and Summer heat.

Some may worry about others opinions...I could care less :wigtongue: :lala:

I love long hair and the variety of style options and colorful unique accessories; it is so much fun ....with no bad hair days :cheer:

I earned every wrinkle and silver hair and wear them all proudly as *I* want to express myself...I am who I am :o

As our dear Carolyn (RIP) said ~ "I am not here to decorate your world" :flower:

Wendyclaire
May 6th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Not everyone likes buns so I’m not sure why that’s ouchy to anyone. It’s not everyone’s thing even if we are over sixty! I think I must’ve either struck a nerve or ruffled feathers. Sorry about that!

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2019, 05:16 PM
It is not that you don't like them (that's your opinion)......it is throwing the rest of us under the bus with an insensitive statement (labeling bun wearers as OLD Grandmas)

There are plenty of styles on LHC that I have seen pictured but are not to my personal liking (some I dislike immensely) but would never say so out loud, because peoples' feelings can get hurt .

I just don't wear them and if I can't say anything nice to them truthfully....I stay quiet

As with anything here on LHC ~ YMMV ~ that's just me.

Apology accepted :)

Wendyclaire
May 6th, 2019, 05:29 PM
It is not that you don't like them (that's your opinion)......it is throwing the rest of us under the bus with an insensitive statement (labeling bun wearers as OLD Grandmas)

There are plenty of styles on LHC that I have seen pictured but are not to my personal liking (some I dislike immensely) but would never say so out loud, because peoples' feelings can get hurt .

I just don't wear them and if I can't say anything nice to them truthfully....I stay quiet :shrug:

As with anything here on LHC ~ YMMV ~ that's just me.
Oh I didn’t think I threw anyone under the bus. It’s my opinion about me and ME not liking that hairstyle for me. For ME, it makes ME look like an old lady and I don’t like it. I hope I said it better so no one gets their panties in a wad over an innocent comment.

bokeh
May 6th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Oh I didn’t think I threw anyone under the bus. It’s my opinion about me and ME not liking that hairstyle for me. For ME, it makes ME look like an old lady and I don’t like it. I hope I said it better so no one gets their panties in a wad over an innocent comment.

Yes, I think we understand completely.

Alun
May 6th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Hello bte,

I used to know a guy who was bald at the back of his head and combed it over, always wearing a ponytail to ensure that the back of his head was never uncovered. The rest of his hair was at least waist length. He built a chopper in an upstairs council flat (apartment in subsidized housing in American) and brought it down in the lift (elevator), with the back wheel downwards and the front wheel pointing up in the air, LOL!

I am 61 and have lost a lot of hair recently. It was waist length but is now only shoulder length. I have been in hospital a number of times and each time came out with shorter hair than when I went in. The issue seems to be that they stick so many tubes in my arms that I am unable to comb my hair. I have had thin and fine hair all my life, but it is thinner now with age, and if I can't comb it then I get nasty tangles that lead to clumps falling out when I am eventually able to get a comb to it.

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Yes, I think we understand completely.

Hi Bokeh :agree: yes we do!

Happy you joined us :cheer:

I used to know a guy who was bald at the back of his head and combed it over, always wearing a ponytail to ensure that the back of his head was never uncovered. The rest of his hair was at least waist length. He built a chopper in an upstairs council flat (apartment in subsidized housing in American) and brought it down in the lift (elevator), with the back wheel downwards and the front wheel pointing up in the air, LOL!

I am 61 and have lost a lot of hair recently. It was waist length but is now only shoulder length. I have been in hospital a number of times and each time came out with shorter hair than when I went in. The issue seems to be that they stick so many tubes in my arms that I am unable to comb my hair. I have had thin and fine hair all my life, but it is thinner now with age, and if I can't comb it then I get nasty tangles that lead to clumps falling out when I am eventually able to get a comb to it.

Hi Alun ~ good to see you!

Oh my goodness; a die hard biker...and long hair (I know a few of those guys) lol

I am so sorry to hear about your hospital visits and hair loss :(
Hopefully you are on the mend again and your hair recovers as well.
You are not alone with the thinning and tangles; those babies are very fragile these days.
I have had my health issues recently as well, and needed to adjust my styling and care... or else the ends :slap:
Take good care;get well soon!!!

It is wonderful to see so many of you; thanks for checking in :cheer:

It is great to have inspiration and support on this leg of our hair and life journeys :grouphug:

Blessings to you all :flowers:

vpatt
May 7th, 2019, 01:35 PM
A one stick nessa bun
https://live.staticflickr.com/4861/32550657808_de02db1df6.jpg[/QUOTE]

I was fortunate enough to be given one of these sticks and I love it and so do all my friends. Thanx again, bparnell

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I was fortunate enough to be given one of these sticks and I love it and so do all my friends. Thanx again, bparnell

Oh...did she make that stick too (acrylic)? :eye:
I think I have only seen her wood creations.

Wow...so much talent here; very pretty :heart:

Cg
May 7th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Love those candy cane sticks!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 01:54 PM
A one stick nessa bun

I was fortunate enough to be given one of these sticks and I love it and so do all my friends. Thanx again, bparnell[/QUOTE]

Oh my - how cute and lovely is that ?! :D I love it!

bparnell75
May 7th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thank you ladies so much for the kind comments. I did not make the stick. It was a Christmas ornament I found at the Dollar Tree. just modified the tip so it would slide into my hair. It came a pk of six so I have modified many of them for gifts.

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thank you ladies so much for the kind comments. I did not make the stick. It was a Christmas ornament I found at the Dollar Tree. just modified the tip so it would slide into my hair. It came a pk of six so I have modified many of them for gifts.

Oh ok...still good lol ....and you have made lots of pretty things :thumbsup:

bparnell75
May 7th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Not everyone likes buns so I’m not sure why that’s ouchy to anyone. It’s not everyone’s thing even if we are over sixty! I think I must’ve either struck a nerve or ruffled feathers. Sorry about that!

I think the kid of buns you make can make you look like "Granny." I do not like that look either. Keep it soft around the face like Kathryn Hepburn did and it is elegant. Sooth it down and knot it like Olive Oil and you will look Old.

bokeh
May 7th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Hi Bokeh :agree: Yes we do!

Happy you joined us :cheer:

Thanks for the nice welcome Groovy Granny and hello to everyone! I'm happy to see this thread resurrected.

bokeh
May 7th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I've been growing my hair for almost two years now. My decision to grow was spontaneous and seemingly came out of nowhere! I was on the cell phone about to make an appointment to cut my pixie length hair when right in the middle of making arrangements I stopped and said, "Wait, I changed my mind because I think I want to grow my hair longer." I hadn't considered growing out my hair in thirty years! Now my hair is just at armpit length and heading for my goal of waist length. I love the variety of hairstyles now available to me. The only bun that I can make at this length is the Disc Bun. I also make a French braid, ponytail (middle or low), hair tied back with a barrette, English braid and a topsy-tail. A quick and easy Gibson tuck is my go-to for wearing under my straw garden hat. I mentioned my goal of waist length but really it's all about having a long, grey braid and the ability to make more bun styles.

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2019, 08:29 PM
That's awesome :)

I also love the variety of style options and unique hair accessories that make it so much fun to style.

There is never a bad hair day ~ happy growing :cheer:

bokeh
May 8th, 2019, 12:10 AM
There is never a bad hair day ~

That's the best part!!!

Groovy Granny
May 8th, 2019, 10:02 AM
I have seem many lovely 'slicked' buns on young and older gals here; THEY love the look and it looks good on them :shrug:

We each have our own preferences, and I may not like all styles on all people, but blanket statements based on a strong personal dislike does those who wear those buns/styles an injustice and can be hurtful to them and cause them to feel self conscious and doubtful....so I :lipssealed:

Though I prefer my hair down when I can, I enjoy and need buns at times; I must also soften the front and top because those hairs are white and it can look harsh.

Do I look old....with or without a bun...well yeah....I look my age :flowers:

Enough said :brickwall:

That's the best part!!!
:agree:

Cg
May 8th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I have seem many lovely 'slicked' buns on young and older gals here; THEY love the look and it looks good on them :shrug:

We each have our own preferences, and I may not like all styles on all people, but blanket statements based on a strong personal dislike does those who wear those buns/styles an injustice and can be hurtful to them and cause them to feel self conscious and doubtful....so I lipssealed:

Though I prefer my hair down when I can, I enjoy and need buns at times; I must also soften the front and top because those hairs are white and it can look harsh.

Do I look old....with or without a bun...well yeah....I look my age :flowers:

:agree:

Thank you, and your attitude shows why we value you so highly on this forum. You are always kind.

Groovy Granny
May 8th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Thank you, and your attitude shows why we value you so highly on this forum. You are always kind.

Thank you CG (((Hugs))) that means a lot to me :flowers:

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2020, 10:04 PM
So....how is the 60's gang doing? :cheer:

As for MOI ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

Yup ~ I am rockin' 68 today :rockerdud:

70 is closing in fast, and I have only 1 more birthday celebration in this thread ...but at least 2 years of posting in it ;)...then I will join the 'Between 70-80 and still loving long locks!' gang (God willing!) :flower:

So much to be grateful for....including all you beloved LHC peeps :grouphug: :love:

It is a great day to be alive :disco:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 20th, 2020, 11:59 PM
So....how is the 60's gang doing? :cheer:

As for MOI ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

Yup ~ I am rockin' 68 today :rockerdud:

70 is closing in fast, and I have only 1 more birthday celebration in this thread ...but at least 2 years of posting in it ;)...then I will join the 'Between 70-80 and still loving long locks!' gang (God willing!) :flower:

So much to be grateful for....including all you beloved LHC peeps :grouphug: :love:

It is a great day to be alive :disco:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GG! :D :flowers:

harpgal
January 21st, 2020, 05:41 AM
Happy Birthday, GG! Yes, it won't be long and you will join the 70s gang. Time really flies, doesn't it?

sugar&nutmeg
January 21st, 2020, 08:07 AM
Happy Birthday, GG! You are one of the very best things about LHC. :flowers: I'm not too far behind you!
~

Catching up on the (ahem) recent topic, I'm reminded of when we got our photo taken for church. I was sighing over how I looked in the photo. My acquaintance working the desk said, "Yes, I know. Whenever I get my picture taken, it always looks just like me!"

LOL! Yep! Long, short, up, down, it's not gonna change reality in any substantial way. Acceptance is peace.

vpatt
January 21st, 2020, 08:20 AM
Happy birthday, GG!! I miss being on here as much as I once was. I just seem to have so much going on lately. Next October I will join the 70's gang!

Cg
January 21st, 2020, 10:18 AM
Happy birthday, GG! You have such a positive attitude!

Groovy Granny
January 21st, 2020, 10:37 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GG! :flowers:
Thank you (((Hugs)))

Happy Birthday, GG! Yes, it won't be long and you will join the 70s gang. Time really flies, doesn't it?
Thank you :) It sure does....faster with every passing year!

Happy Birthday, GG! You are one of the very best things about LHC. :flowers: I'm not too far behind you!
~
Catching up on the (ahem) recent topic, I'm reminded of when we got our photo taken for church. I was sighing over how I looked in the photo. My acquaintance working the desk said, "Yes, I know. Whenever I get my picture taken, it always looks just like me!"

LOL! Yep! Long, short, up, down, it's not gonna change reality in any substantial way. Acceptance is peace.

You are very sweet :flowers:
LOL yup...we are always US....very unique....one of a kind :flower:
:agree: Living in the PRESENT MOMENT...ACCEPTANCE = PEACE AND JOY!!
That lesson hit hard when my DH almost lost his life this past Summer; you just never know what moment will be your last....so LIVE IT WELL :cheer:

Happy birthday, GG!! I miss being on here as much as I once was. I just seem to have so much going on lately. Next October I will join the 70's gang!

I miss you too....glad you are ok and just busy (((hugs)))

2020 I need to spend more time offline....so we can focus on major chores on our better days ;)

Ah....so you are a year ahead of me....I will be right behind ;)

Thanks again ladies....I love you all :grouphug:

embee
January 21st, 2020, 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday, young'un! And many happy returns. You better hurry if you're gonna catch up to me! :D

Lady Stardust
January 21st, 2020, 10:46 AM
I’m just popping into this thread to say Happy Birthday Groovy Granny :) :cake:

Groovy Granny
January 21st, 2020, 10:47 AM
Happy birthday, GG! You have such a positive attitude!
Goodness....I almost missed you post .....which went up as I was composing and didn't get to quote it :doh:

Thanks so much...I appreciate your affirmations; they always touch my heart at just the right moment :flowers:

Happy Birthday, young'un! And many happy returns. You better hurry if you're gonna catch up to me! :D

:lol: Thank you (((hugs)))

I will try, but you will always be my inspiration; take good care :heart:

I’m just popping into this thread to say Happy Birthday Groovy Granny :) :cake:

Thank you :)

Cake :yumm: lol

harpgal
January 21st, 2020, 10:47 AM
Living in the PRESENT MOMENT...ACCEPTANCE = PEACE AND JOY!!

Truer words have never been spoken! It is such a pleasure to see y’all post here. BTW, where is that 70s thread?

Groovy Granny
January 21st, 2020, 10:50 AM
Right here ...buried in the threads lol :)

Between 70-80 and still loving long locks! (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132805)

CindyOfTheOaks
January 23rd, 2020, 07:19 PM
I'm sooo late !
Happy Birthday Groovy Granny !

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2020, 09:16 PM
I'm sooo late !
Happy Birthday Groovy Granny !

Oh certainly NOT....like your siggie says
Life is too short - Embrace each day for the gift that it is :thumbsup:

At this age you must CELEBRATE LIFE EVERY DAY :cheer:

Thank you :flowers:

Jo Ann
January 24th, 2020, 02:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Groovy Granny!!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/43/e8/81/43e88189ef0bcdd4fa5adccd14ea58cc--hippie-chick-hippie-gypsy.jpg

Groovy Granny
January 24th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Happy Birthday, Groovy Granny!!

Thank you Jo Ann (((Hugs)))

I love it LOL :crush:

Look who has a new siggie pic :eyebrows:

Vacurlylady
January 24th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone! I can be in this thread. I’m soon to be 61! And Happy Belated Birthday Groovy Granny! Every day is a present 🎁 to be cherished. And in the meantime, our hair will still be growing. 😁

Jo Ann
January 25th, 2020, 01:59 AM
Thank you Jo Ann (((Hugs)))

I love it LOL :crush:

Look who has a new siggie pic :eyebrows:

Well, what do you know--I'm an Inspiration!! :thud:

:face:

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone! I can be in this thread. I’m soon to be 61! And Happy Belated Birthday Groovy Granny! Every day is a present �� to be cherished. And in the meantime, our hair will still be growing. ��
Thank you ((hugs)))

Happy to have you join us; hope your day is special :)

Amen to that :thumbsup:
Yup, every day our hair is longer than it was the day before :cheer:

Well, what do you know--I'm an Inspiration!! :thud:

:face:

:agree: yes you are...in many ways :flowers:

Ennapic
January 25th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Happy Birthday Groovy Granny!!! (a bit late)

I pop in the forum every couple of days and just found this thread.

I'll be 65 in March.

Just trimmed about and inch and a half. The stress since last April when my dearest husband died has not helped my hair. It's always been fine but I've had a bit of breakage. Wow! I just measured and since whenever I originally measured I'm down 10" Yikes! From 42" a few years ago to 32" Still normal on width :) I thought it felt shorter but hadn't taken the time to check.

I think I'd better get on the ball with more than just simple washing/conditioning.

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2020, 04:33 PM

I'll be 65 in March.

Just trimmed about and inch and a half. The stress since last April when my dearest husband died has not helped my hair. It's always been fine but I've had a bit of breakage. Wow! I just measured and since whenever I originally measured I'm down 10" Yikes! From 42" a few years ago to 32" Still normal on width :) I thought it felt shorter but hadn't taken the time to check.

I think I'd better get on the ball with more than just simple washing/conditioning.

Thank you; you're not too late.....every day is a celebration :flowers:

Nice to see you...though sorry to hear about the breakage; we have already spoken about the loss of your DH (((hugs)))
Maybe when things settle into a 'new normal', over time you will see more growth.

ETA MARCH 2020: I will be offline tending to our health/family needs; until we meet again ~ God bless :pray:

Cg
January 26th, 2020, 07:27 AM

I'll be 65 in March.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Please be gentle with yourself and don't add stress about your hair. In your circumstances, it's normal to experience unexpected hair and health anomalies. Focus instead -- when you can -- on what is going right in your life. Thinking as positively as you can is a good habit anyway.

In time your hair will return to its pre-megastress condition. Meanwhile, pamper it and do all the healthful things you perhaps have neglected (eat nutritious food, get adequate exercise and rest, etc.). This from a widow of several years, I do understand.

Ennapic
January 26th, 2020, 12:44 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Please be gentle with yourself and don't add stress about your hair. In your circumstances, it's normal to experience unexpected hair and health anomalies. Focus instead -- when you can -- on what is going right in your life. Thinking as positively as you can is a good habit anyway.

In time your hair will return to its pre-megastress condition. Meanwhile, pamper it and do all the healthful things you perhaps have neglected (eat nutritious food, get adequate exercise and rest, etc.). This from a widow of several years, I do understand.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Lainey
July 17th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Hi everyone, I’d like to join this thread. I’m new here. Aged 63, last time my hair was long I was 13. Now I aim for the simplicity of long salt and pepper hair to style as I wish. Currently it’s 4” inches long, not 12 as it says on the sidebar and I want to achieve APL. Really nice to see all your lovely styles.

bokeh
July 17th, 2020, 05:57 AM
Welcome Lainey. I’m glad to meet you. I started growing three years ago at the same age as you are now. My hair is now waist length and it is simple to care for natural grey hair.

I must warn you that my original goal was collarbone length but there is this thing called TLHCitis. I’m still growing, lol.

I’m glad you woke this thread up. Hope some others check in.

Vacurlylady
July 17th, 2020, 06:29 AM
Hi everyone, I’d like to join this thread. I’m new here. Aged 63, last time my hair was long I was 13. Now I aim for the simplicity of long salt and pepper hair to style as I wish. Currently it’s 4” inches long, not 12 as it says on the sidebar and I want to achieve APL. Really nice to see all your lovely styles.

Welcome Lainey! I’m 61 and started growing out my pixie in Oct 2017. My hair is now passing BSL and still growing. I found LHC in August 2018. If it wasn’t for being on the forum, I’m not so sure where my hair would be. Having natural longer hair is so much easier. During recent months with everything closed, I didn’t panic about my hair one bit. I loved knowing it was growing. I keep my hair up in a disc bun with a stick. Sooooooo easy....

Welcome Lainey. I’m glad to meet you. I started growing three years ago at the same age as you are now. My hair is now waist length and it is simple to care for natural grey hair.

I must warn you that my original goal was collarbone length but there is this thing called TLHCitis. I’m still growing, lol.

I’m checking in.. and glad Lainey woke up the thread also. I’m not sure what I posted as my goal length, I’ll have to check that out, but I’m quite sure LHCitis has gotten to me too. I’m still growing and can’t imagine it not growing at this point.

Lainey
July 17th, 2020, 06:33 AM

What an encouraging reply bokeh. It’s really nice that someone my own age band has successfully achieved the long hair goal. I take your point about TLHCitis!

spidermom
July 17th, 2020, 07:00 AM
Hello everyone! Age 66 here. I've grown my hair out to classic length, which seemed more trouble than it was worth, cut back to collarbone length and kept it for 2 years, now growing out again. I am right at waist length with my longest layers. I like layers in my type of hair. I'll post a recent picture of the length, and my signature picture is how it looked at collarbone length.
https://i.imgur.com/590uSOu.jpg?1

Vacurlylady
July 17th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Hello everyone! Age 66 here. I've grown my hair out to classic length, which seemed more trouble than it was worth, cut back to collarbone length and kept it for 2 years, now growing out again. I am right at waist length with my longest layers. I like layers in my type of hair. I'll post a recent picture of the length, and my signature picture is how it looked at collarbone length.

Beautiful Spidermom! I often wonder how I will feel about the longer lengths when I get there. Right now as I am creeping past BSL I am in love because it has never ever been this length.

luluj
July 17th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Oh my, spidermom, you have such beautiful hair. Waist length is, by far, my favorite length. It is a magical length, and with the added touch of layers, well just gorgeous!

(You would think that by now, having been here since 2009, I would have reached waist. After seeing this photo, once again you have inspired me. I haven't had the urge to cut in a long while, now. Not going to, not at all.)

luluj
July 17th, 2020, 07:49 AM
Beautiful Spidermom! I often wonder how I will feel about the longer lengths when I get there. Right now as I am creeping past BSL I am in love because it has never ever been this length.

Vacurlylady, may I say how lovely your hair is. You inspire me, also.

Lainey
July 17th, 2020, 09:11 AM
Welcome Lainey! I’m 61 and started growing out my pixie in Oct 2017. My hair is now passing BSL and still growing. I found LHC in August 2018. If it wasn’t for being on the forum, I’m not so sure where my hair would be. Having natural longer hair is so much easier. During recent months with everything closed, I didn’t panic about my hair one bit. I loved knowing it was growing. I keep my hair up in a disc bun with a stick. Sooooooo easy....

I’m checking in.. and glad Lainey woke up the thread also. I’m not sure what I posted as my goal length, I’ll have to check that out, but I’m quite sure LHCitis has gotten to me too. I’m still growing and can’t imagine it not growing at this point.

Thanks for your words. In the past I’ve got given up as my hair is straight and looks messy growing out. However with your inspiration and some headbands, I feel quietly confident and will try to embrace the journey instead of despairing at the mess.

bokeh
July 17th, 2020, 12:50 PM
I am right at waist length with my longest layers.

Your hair tumbles down your back so beautifully! It seems to have a lot of body.

spidermom
July 17th, 2020, 12:52 PM
Your hair tumbles down your back so beautifully! It seems to have a lot of body.

Yep - a lot of body and a "mind" of its own.

Lainey
July 19th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Yep - a lot of body and a "mind" of its own.

Your hair is amazing spidermom.

rapunzelna
July 19th, 2020, 03:26 PM

Your hair is beautiful. I remember it at classic length and thought it was gorgeous then as well. But it was cute short too.

I’m glad you’ve grown it back out. It seems to suit you....for now. Lol

Lainey
July 20th, 2020, 10:48 AM

I achieved a little milestone today! All of my hair at the front now keeps tucked back with my headband, before it kept falling out. A small victory but you know...

Vacurlylady
July 21st, 2020, 01:52 PM
I achieved a little milestone today! All of my hair at the front now keeps tucked back with my headband, before it kept falling out. A small victory but you know...

That is awesome!!! I remember that day so well. And it keeps getting better. It feels so good to be tucked away. Doesn’t it? Just remember it will never be this length again....

luluj
July 21st, 2020, 02:01 PM

Awesome! :cheer:

It's the small victories that keep us focused on the future goals. I am happy for you, Lainey.

Vacurlylady
July 21st, 2020, 03:05 PM
Vacurlylady, may I say how lovely your hair is. You inspire me, also.

Thank you so much. 🥰

bokeh
July 21st, 2020, 03:25 PM

Vacurlylady is so right! I also remember that day and want you to know that there will be many such milestones on your growing journey. There are frustrations but they are far outweighed by the little victories.

Lainey
July 23rd, 2020, 06:16 AM
That is awesome!!! I remember that day so well. And it keeps getting better. It feels so good to be tucked away. Doesn’t it? Just remember it will never be this length again....

Aw thank you Vacurly lady. Your hair is lovely.

Lainey
July 23rd, 2020, 06:18 AM
Awesome! :cheer:

It's the small victories that keep us focused on the future goals. I am happy for you, Lainey.

Yes they definitely keep you going Luluj. Plus, of course all the kindness in this lovely group of people on LHC.

luluj
July 23rd, 2020, 09:24 AM
Yes they definitely keep you going Luluj. Plus, of course all the kindness in this lovely group of people on LHC.

I couldn't agree more, Lainey. The LHC is brimming with lovely, supportive people.

luluj
July 23rd, 2020, 09:24 AM
Thank you so much. ��

You are most welcome, Vacurlylady.

hanne jensen
July 27th, 2020, 01:08 PM
I'm 61 and would like to join. My hair is to just touching my thighs.

Lainey
August 3rd, 2020, 06:22 AM
Does anyone else agree that it’s incredibly comfortable keeping your hair off your face and neck. For years the pixie was so high maintenance and soon looked shaggy sheepish without monthly trims. Mine is still a short bob but am finding the headband solution so freeing.

By the way I have found the most comfortable headbands are home made from widths of old leggings. Cheap too! Plus no sew.

bokeh
August 3rd, 2020, 07:37 AM

Hello! I see by your profile that you have been a victim of TLHCitis. Your description says that your goal is above waist but you are far past and heading to your terminal length. How long do you hope terminal is?

Does anyone else agree that it’s incredibly comfortable keeping your hair off your face and neck. For years the pixie was so high maintenance and soon looked shaggy sheepish without monthly trims. Mine is still a short bob but am finding the headband solution so freeing.

By the way I have found the most comfortable headbands are home made from widths of old leggings. Cheap too! Plus no sew.

Headbands kept me sane while growing out my pixie. Without them my hair was completely unmanageable until I was able to put it into a ponytail. As my hair grew longer and I was able to do more different styles I stopped using them. I wish I had known your tip about making them from leggings back then.

Vacurlylady
August 3rd, 2020, 07:53 AM

Oh my goodness yes!!!! Pixie maintaining days are over for me for sure!!! Woo!! And now the bun days are soooooo awesome. I didn’t think of needing a trim during the lock down once. 😁 And now on wash days I notice I’m creeping towards waist! It will be months and months.... for sure. But eek 😱 I never ever thought I would be heading into these lengths. These are the best days of my life with my hair! ❤️

luluj
August 3rd, 2020, 08:41 AM

Hello. :waving: Wow, thigh length hair, this is awesome.

I agree. My pixie was high maintenance. With curly hair (which has a mind all of its own :lol: ) the pixie always looked unkempt. I did not have the styling skills to keep up with the unruly, short curls.

I like your suggestion, old leggings it is! It is so hot and humid here, headbands have saved many a day, recently.

Hello! I see by your profile that you have been a victim of TLHCitis. Your description says that your goal is above waist but you are far past and heading to your terminal length. How long do you hope terminal is?

Headbands kept me sane while growing out my pixie. Without them my hair was completely unmanageable until I was able to put it into a ponytail. As my hair grew longer and I was able to do more different styles I stopped using them. I wish I had known your tip about making them from leggings back then.

I wish TLHCitis would take control over me, I really want to make it to waist. I am really trying this time. :meditate:

Oh my goodness yes!!!! Pixie maintaining days are over for me for sure!!! Woo!! And now the bun days are soooooo awesome. I didn’t think of needing a trim during the lock down once. 😁 And now on wash days I notice I’m creeping towards waist! It will be months and months.... for sure. But eek 😱 I never ever thought I would be heading into these lengths. These are the best days of my life with my hair! ❤️

I love this post, Vacurlylady! Thanks for the positivity. My hair is visibly longer all of a sudden and it makes me happy. I just need to stay the course. :agree:

bokeh
August 3rd, 2020, 09:19 AM
luluj I hope that you make your goal! You’re trying hard and that along with patience is a great start.

bokeh
August 3rd, 2020, 09:26 AM
These are the best days of my life with my hair! ❤️

Yes! Who knew how great it would be to be over 60 with long hair! I didn’t expect this and I’m not quite sure where the inspiration to grow came from but I’m happy with my length so far and still growing!

Lainey
August 3rd, 2020, 10:21 AM
Vacurlylady, bokeh and luluj... what great replies. You are right about the best days of your hair life. Something never sat right for me about the pixie. I feel long hair is my true identity. I can see a few raised eyebrows at my natural colour and headband but the great thing about being in your 60s is lack of concern about other people’s eyebrow �� comments. I know mine is short but you are all inspiring me and keeping tabs on progress is motivating. Pony tails will be my way forward. Joining up with the others on this thread is making the journey so much fun. Thanks.

luluj
August 3rd, 2020, 11:20 AM
luluj I hope that you make your goal! You’re trying hard and that along with patience is a great start.

Thank-you so much, bokeh. :flower:

My 1st goal is APL, which is still far off, due to trimming my longest layer in order to create a more blunt hemline. I still have layers, but they are nicely blended and add some body to my fine hair. My face framing layers are a little shorter still, but I plan to keep those shorter to help soften my jawline. They also soften the look of an updo.

Waist is my dream length. :cloud9:

The older I get the more I seem to use the word soften. :lol:

Lainey
August 3rd, 2020, 11:22 AM

Welcome. I’m new too.

luluj
August 3rd, 2020, 11:27 AM
Vacurlylady, bokeh and luluj... what great replies. You are right about the best days of your hair life. Something never sat right for me about the pixie. I feel long hair is my true identity. I can see a few raised eyebrows at my natural colour and headband but the great thing about being in your 60s is lack of concern about other people’s eyebrow �� comments. I know mine is short but you are all inspiring me and keeping tabs on progress is motivating. Pony tails will be my way forward. Joining up with the others on this thread is making the journey so much fun. Thanks.

Lainey, I think I can safely say that you are a long haired girl at heart. :love: (me too)

:bottomsup: Here's to raised eyebrows, pony tails and inspiration. We can all enjoy this journey together. :grouphug:

Oh, I almost forgot to say patience, lol!

bokeh
August 3rd, 2020, 01:03 PM
Here's to raised eyebrows, pony tails and inspiration. We can all enjoy this journey together. :grouphug:

I’m really feeling at home in this thread and relating to everyone’s posts. Here’s also to softening our styles, making goals, learning new buns, long hair feeling like our true identity, and these are the best days of our hair life! Oh, and all enjoying the journey together!

luluj
August 3rd, 2020, 05:45 PM
I’m really feeling at home in this thread and relating to everyone’s posts. Here’s also to softening our styles, making goals, learning new buns, long hair feeling like our true identity, and these are the best days of our hair life! Oh, and all enjoying the journey together!

This is such a heartwarming post, bokeh, thank-you. :cloud9:

Vacurlylady
August 3rd, 2020, 06:38 PM
:bottomsup: Here's to raised eyebrows, pony tails and inspiration. We can all enjoy this journey together. :grouphug:

I love this! Yes! Lots of raised eyebrows from my family. Haha. We will all enjoy this journey together. I’ve always been a long hair at heart, after 30 years of pixies, I’m in my 60’s and getting there! 😊

Lainey
August 4th, 2020, 04:09 AM
Thank-you so much, bokeh. :flower:

My 1st goal is APL, which is still far off, due to trimming my longest layer in order to create a more blunt hemline. I still have layers, but they are nicely blended and add some body to my fine hair. My face framing layers are a little shorter still, but I plan to keep those shorter to help soften my jawline. They also soften the look of an updo.

Waist is my dream length. :cloud9:

The older I get the more I seem to use the word soften. :lol:

The word soften is spot on luluj. However for me the softening comes in my own attitude to myself. I realised that the hair styling rigmarole was taking up far too much time and mental energy and the results were always a lottery. When I went to the hairdresser... would it be too short? Too long? Too orange? Break off? It seemed to becoming more pain than pleasure. Looking back my hair was nicest and easiest when it was long and natural. Having my hair back under my own management will take up fare less mental bandwidth -in fact about that of a hairband or Scrunchie...lol. Being on the journey will other lovely people in their 60s, doing it for their own reasons is a fantastic bonus.

Lainey
August 4th, 2020, 04:14 AM
I love this! Yes! Lots of raised eyebrows from my family. Haha. We will all enjoy this journey together. I’ve always been a long hair at heart, after 30 years of pixies, I’m in my 60’s and getting there! ��

Nice post vacurlylady. Life’s a journey and we might as well do it to our own heart’s desires.

Lainey
August 4th, 2020, 04:27 AM
Luluj, you will soon be at waist from where you’re starting so just keep your lovely hair growing. Every day I think mine is longer than yesterday. I can only envisage arm pit length so far but who knows? I might catch the waist length dream. The great thing about life is you are allowed to change your mind even if family and friends take time to catch up.

bokeh
August 4th, 2020, 05:59 AM
I realised that the hair styling rigmarole was taking up far too much time and mental energy and the results were always a lottery..

That was one of my first frustrations. I started out with the Curly Girl Method and I was following several groups on fb. Everyone (including me) was desperately looking for the perfect products and routine but failing miserably on a daily basis. It seemed like some magic was involved in achieving success. When I started exploring TLHC I was struck by how laidback the attitudes were about routines and products. Some people were struggling but the focus was on learning styles. Quick and easy updos are the key for many of us to achieving a good hair day everyday!

Lainey
August 4th, 2020, 06:29 AM
Quick and easy updos are the key for many of us to achieving a good hair day everyday![/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more with you bokeh having seen pictures of yours in your garden retreat. Now THAT is what I call a good hair day.

bokeh
August 4th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Lol, thanks for visiting my album Lainey. That’s my daily, morning gardening style. Always a hat to protect my skin and hair and a low disc bun with a Quattro Starlite because it stays put and the Starlight isn’t harmed no matter how dirty and sweaty I get.

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Luluj, you will soon be at waist from where you’re starting so just keep your lovely hair growing. Every day I think mine is longer than yesterday. I can only envisage arm pit length so far but who knows? I might catch the waist length dream. The great thing about life is you are allowed to change your mind even if family and friends take time to catch up.

I plan to do just this, Lainey, thank-you for your encouragement. The reality, to me, is just as you say, our hair is getting longer every single day. APL is a tremendous goal, our hair feels long and we are able to do some pretty buns.

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 09:35 AM
The word soften is spot on luluj. However for me the softening comes in my own attitude to myself.

I love this statement, very well put. :thumbsup:

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Lol, thanks for visiting my album Lainey. That’s my daily, morning gardening style. Always a hat to protect my skin and hair and a low disc bun with a Quattro Starlite because it stays put and the Starlight isn’t harmed no matter how dirty and sweaty I get.

I had a look at your album, too, bokeh. Your hair is beautiful, it must look awesome when you wear it down. :)

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 09:48 AM
That was one of my first frustrations. I started out with the Curly Girl Method and I was following several groups on fb. Everyone (including me) was desperately looking for the perfect products and routine but failing miserably on a daily basis. It seemed like some magic was involved in achieving success. When I started exploring TLHC I was struck by how laidback the attitudes were about routines and products. Some people were struggling but the focus was on learning styles. Quick and easy updos are the key for many of us to achieving a good hair day everyday!

I remember when I first joined the LHC, I must have tried every single "new to me" treatment, product and routine. It was exhausting, but fun. :lol: The information here is awesome, I have learned a lot. I have come to realize, however, that less is much, much better. As you say, quick and easy is the key.

Vacurlylady
August 4th, 2020, 10:04 AM
I am finding I love ❤️ THIS thread in LHC. We are all at the same time learning to enjoy being “ourselves” in ALL things. It’s awesome! Welcome to the newbies here. No matter your length.. are you growing?... are you natural color?.... are you in this age group?... I just feel a comradery here.... nothing but love to ya all ❤️ Have a great day! 🥰

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 10:12 AM
I am finding I love ❤️ THIS thread in LHC. We are all at the same time learning to enjoy being “ourselves” in ALL things. It’s awesome! Welcome to the newbies here. No matter your length.. are you growing?... are you natural color?.... are you in this age group?... I just feel a comradery here.... nothing but love to ya all ❤️ Have a great day! ��

I'm not a newbie, but yes, I am still growing. No more cutting, no no, I am inspired. This thread is wonderful. Love right back at you, Vacurlylady. ❤️

This was my length in January 2020. It has been growing nicely and I will keep going.

https://i.imgur.com/IBaXOh6.jpg (https://lunapic.com)

bokeh
August 4th, 2020, 01:50 PM
I had a look at your album, too, bokeh. Your hair is beautiful, it must look awesome when you wear it down. :)

Thanks luluj! I never wear it down in public because it’s got a major witchy vibe. Probably because it’s so coarse and frizzy. I love it though! I’ll post a picture with it down soon. Here is today’s bun in the meantime: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42204&d=1596569229

bokeh
August 4th, 2020, 01:59 PM
I am finding I love ❤️ THIS thread in LHC. We are all at the same time learning to enjoy being “ourselves” in ALL things. It’s awesome! Welcome to the newbies here. No matter your length.. are you growing?... are you natural color?.... are you in this age group?... I just feel a comradery here.... nothing but love to ya all ❤️ Have a great day! ��

You summed it up beautifully! We’ll all have a good time getting to know one another and sharing our journeys.

bokeh
August 4th, 2020, 02:01 PM
luluj your hair looks so soft and pretty!

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 02:38 PM
luluj your hair looks so soft and pretty!

Thank-you, bokeh. :blossom:

Thanks luluj! I never wear it down in public because it’s got a major witchy vibe. Probably because it’s so coarse and frizzy. I love it though! I’ll post a picture with it down soon. Here is today’s bun in the meantime: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42204&d=1596569229

You are welcome. Oh my, that really is a pretty bun, I can see a delicate, silver hair fork in your hair. Does it have a stone on it, perhaps blue or turquoise?

Wendyclaire
August 4th, 2020, 04:54 PM
I’m 66 and have a tad longer then waist
length. LCC has been a good find but I don’t fit in. I hate buns, updoo’s, braids and most here love them. So my first post started a pissing match! At my age I’m not changing so I guess I’ll be hearing more about cheese! Haha!

luluj
August 4th, 2020, 05:18 PM
I’m 66 and have a tad longer then waist
length. LCC has been a good find but I don’t fit in. I hate buns, updoo’s, braids and most here love them. So my first post started a pissing match! At my age I’m not changing so I guess I’ll be hearing more about cheese! Haha!

:lol: Your post made me laugh Wendyclaire, I like your sense of humor. No need to love buns, updos or braids, we like what we like. Just having and enjoying your waist length hair makes you fit in just fine. No need to change at all.

Welcome! :flower:

Wendyclaire
August 4th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Thanks so much! I appreciate it!