PDA

View Full Version : The Thirty-somethings Thread (ages 30-39 welcome!)

leilani
July 8th, 2015, 02:33 AM
We deserve a thread too!

So many women decide that after turning 30 or 35, they're not allowed to have long hair that girls and young college ladies like to wear. Thank goodness not everyone feels that way or the world would be so boring!!!

I'm smack in the middle at age 35, mom of 3, soon (any day now) 4, and I actually don't have long hair for the first time in my life. I joined here a little over a year ago with highlights at hip (my style since my teens) and sick of chemicals and upkeep, eventually decided I needed to scratch the henna itch to see if I would love it as so many LHCers do ----and it was so so ugly on me. I kept it long for my wedding 11 months ago and then started growing my own natural color for the first time in 23 years. The henna has been so vile to my eyes when I look in the mirror so when my hair got long enough for a short bob, I cut it off (it's aaaaaaaalmost gone). I'm now on my journey to grow out long virgin hair and see how I like it before I start getting grey or silver hairs. I'm not in a hurry, I'll probably get a few shaping cuts (loving my angled bob right now! Anticipating a cute angled long bob in autumn) this year to enjoy my hair while it's at chin to shoulder, for the novelty of NOT having long hair, but once my bangs and natural color grow out to shoulder I'll probably just switch to microtrimming when needed and let it grow long again in 2016 and 2017, since long hair is so "me". But a year or two "off" from having long hair has certainly been refreshing and since I've been also pregnant and not that interested in "dealing" with hair, this has been nice.

OK I rambled. I have some questions :
Please only answer these if you feel you would enjoy doing so!!!! This thread is for general congregation and chit chat but here are some questions that I came up with on the spur of the moment and you can just disregard if you think they are silly or don't really apply to you :

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable).

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha

mamaherrera
July 8th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Well I'd like to think I'm still "young" *just turned 35 yesterday, because I tell all my family and friends that I'm growing it long once more before I get old, so if 35 is old, I didn't start growing it long soon enough. But anyways. . . .1) you're lucky that you can say you want to grow it long before you get grey, because at 35, for me I have plentry of whites already that I dislike.
1) No one has told me that, but sometimes they tell me I look better with short hair because of my long face, but they've always told me that.
2) I usually wear my hair up except for a couple nights of the week when I wash it so I can enjoy the "freshly-washed" poof I get to remember my teen years when my hair was a bush all the time.
3) I have 4 children and the only hardship it causes it that my little one loves to pull on my short hairs around my ears, step on my head when I'm sleeping and drastically pull on my hairs as she does this. Otherwise, no worries there.
4) I don't think the long hair affects us at our age yet, (maybe I"m not willing to accept I'm getting old) but I still think it doesn't matter which style per say per age, but just on how it sits with your face shape. But once I get more white hairs, I will cut my hair because the "lift" from having short hair really helps hide those roots.
5) My husband would love me to cut my hair so i quit worrying about why I have less volume now than since two years ago. And he doesn't like hair at all, not even on himself. And yes, I would give him more attention.
but yeah, I would keep hair longer than my plan now, but the white hairs that don't calm down are going to determine that for me more so than what I want to do.

Night_Kitten
July 8th, 2015, 03:52 AM
I'm in the early thirties, and frankly the thought of "appropriate hair for that age" thought has never come to my mind till now...
It's probably a combination of me feeling younger than I am and the fact that I live in a relatively open-minded environment as far as hair goes (around here women in their 40's and 50's still rock longer hair with no issues or comments... They don't let the silver show though)

I haven't gotten any comments about my hair being inappropriate for my age (but like I said, around here it's not considered inappropriate to begin with...), but I did get the "why have it long if you wear it up all the time" from a friend once, LOL
I do wear my hair up 99.9% of the time, but I don't feel it makes me look older or old-fashioned (and no one dared tell me otherwise so far), and I plan to keep growing so will probably keep doing the same in my 40's and 50's (I imagine the buns I can / can't do will change a bit with the added length, but I doubt others will notice, lol). I'm still not sure if I'm going to let my silvers be when they come, if I decide to go silver it would probably draw some attention and "you'd look younger if you do something with your hair" comments (though not much I think)...
I don't have children yet, so can't give any specific advice... Air-drying could be a problem with small children around, but otherwise I doubt your hair will suffer much from benign neglect...

pailin
July 8th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Joining this thread while I still can! (which is definitely not for much longer)
-When I was in my later twenties, my hair had been short since about 18, and I decided it was time to grow it out while I could, since I figured in ten years people would say I was too old to have long hair. After 4 years or so I cut it, started growing it again, cut it again.

-Last time I cut it short was in 2011, and I've been growing it since, with only one cut in September 2013 (lost two inches or so to cutting in layers, so I was only at shoulder length. Worse still, let the lady use thinning shears!)

-My mother has always preferred my hair shorter, and this spring some of my friends were suggesting I should cut it. Still, I had one friend- around age 52, telling me my hair is beautiful, don't cut it. I finally decided to listen to her and ignore the rest. I've always liked long hair, but it's never been longer than BSL, which is what it finally is now.

-I don't have kids, so no issues there regarding hair care.

-Although some of my friends here (as mentioned above) have suggested I cut it short, I think it's more a fashion thing than an age-related thing; in their circle shorter hair has recently become the thing. Not sure if they really think it would look better or not. My fellow American-expat friends haven't said anything, but like I said, it's only BSL so far. I'm waiting to see if they have anything to say when it gets longer. Hopefully that will be waist by 40. But actually as it is, since my late twenties people have been saying I look younger than I am. When I had short hair in my early twenties, people always said it made me look older (which was very useful in my job).

-No SO right now, but I did find out recently that a certain, um, male friend thinks women should have long hair :)

Arctic
July 8th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I'll join :)

My hair is not very long, and at longest it was nearly BSL (during my thirties also), and possibly because of that, I haven't gotten any remarks. When I was first growing my hair out since joining LHC in 2007, I told my (now late) mom about my (then) goal of growing to hip, and she was quite surprised about the length.

I love making braids and updos, so I have been wearing my hair up a lot, as soon as I could/managed. I never have felt these styles would make me look matronly, and I feel pretty in them. I do avoid some styles and accessories I assosiate with teen agers, like double braids and bows. :) I have more self-confidence now than ever, but it's not tied to my hair in anyway (well, maybe having hair is important to me). I love both long and short styles, I always have, and it has nothing to do with age.

I can't imagine wearing my hair in a same way for decades. Well, I have never been very adventurous with my hair, and have stayed in the certain hairstyle continuum my all life (pixie to bob to long bob and once almost BSL), so in a way I do have same styles, but there is always some change. I sometimes dabble with hair colours, and I have a wide range of updos and braids etc etc that can change how I look, too. I guess I could say I like having subttle and slow changes.

I don't have children, but I have a dog who sometimes eats my shed hairs, and the longer my hair is, the more problems these hairs create (any dog owner knows what I mean, lol).

I've never been in a relationship where my partner would have had any strong feelings about my hair. Few times I have run into men (!), who have put a truck load of stereotypes on me without even knowing me (or me knowing them), because of my short hair. These persons have thought all women should have long hair, full point. I have found this a) hilarious and b) opressive and controlling. Thank goodness these happened years ago (I was in my early/mid twenties then), and I haven't heared anything like that since.

lapushka
July 8th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Cool you guys have your own thread now! :thumbsup:

henné
July 8th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

Nope, never. I look rather young (most folks guess I'm about 25), plus where I'm from, 30-35 is really not considered that 'old' anyway. Lots of folks my age study, are having their first children, start settling down ... it's all over the place and nobody really has any preconceived notions about what you should or shouldn't be doing. I live in a very progressive western country (Sweden, you don't get more progressive than that), so there really don't seem to be any pressures here (except the ones I put on myself alone).

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?

Nope. I wear it up and down and all around ... depending on my mood. After shaving a side of my hair, I've started wearing my hair in a side braid a lot to keep hairs off the shaved part and to properly 'show it off' :) I've given up on protective hair dos long time ago as I never got to enjoy my hair that way ... it was just a pain.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable).

Yes, I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old. Nope, not challenging at all. The longer the hair is, the easier it is to care for it (unless it's like super duper long - past butt, etc.) I wash my hair up to twice a week and always when DH is at home so that I have total peace and lots of time to do everything I need to do, which really isn't much. It's just shampoo and conditioner for me and then into a braid or just let it down and air dry ...

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

I look 'young' overall and the hair I think contributes to it. I have a very square face - strong angular jaw and high cheek bones, so I need hair framing my face to soften it up a bit, so long hair is the way to go for me ...

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?

I'm considering getting a boy cut soon. And then to grow it out again. I think it's fun to experiment with hair. I'm not at all attached to it being long. It has nothing to do with age or what I think I 'should' have on my head ... I really don't think in these terms.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha

Long hair is the simplest of all haircuts. To me. DH loves my long hair and would probably hate it if I cut it all off. But guess what. I don't care. It's my hair :D

leilani
July 8th, 2015, 06:41 AM
I want to reiterate that I think a woman's prime years, in many ways, are in her 30s, and I don't think thirty something year old women are old!
I said we are not "in our twenties/young ladies" anymore. I guess the phrase "young lady" to me implies a woman still half in girl-hood, part in woman-hood, from about age 14-15 until mid to late twenties when it sounds more condescending than anything to my ears to call a woman "young lady". I wouldn't call my 28-29 year old girlfriends "young lady", they are fully fledged women in my book, with life history in the bank and a knowledge of who they are and what they want they didn't have as teens or college students yet.
I'm digressing. Just wanted to clarify that being in your thirties is certainly not old! But merely a step away from the "young maiden" stage.

Lady Mary
July 8th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Chronologically I belong in this thread but usually people think I'm 18-20 so it's hard to answer the questions based on what age people perceive me as. I've had medium length hair and short hair, so far it hasn't made a difference on how old I appear. I wear my hair up if it's windy but I don't think it makes me look matronly, only if I pulled it back very severely which I never do. I don't have children so I can't answer than question and my significant other doesn't care what I do with it either way, as long as I'm happy with it.

No clue what the future of my hair will bring. I'd like to grow it fairly long, just to say I did once and then see how I like it. I don't imagine I'll ever have a traditional older woman puffy pixie thing like my grandmother had as that just doesn't appeal to me. Angled bob is probably the shortest I'd go if I had trouble maintaining the length from being older but who knows really.

furnival
July 8th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Nope, I don't think any of my friends is the least bit interested in being stylish or age appropriate, and if one of them tried to hint such a thing to me I'd think they might be going mad. And that they didn't know me very well.

Yep, and I've never even considered if it makes me look like any of those things. It's just how I wear it. I don't look in the mirror and wonder if my hair is making me look like anything; it's just my hair, and how I look. To be honest, I couldn't give a sh!t if my hair makes me look a certain way. I don't try to alter how I look in any way; I don't worry about getting older (it's a privilege denied to many, not an avoidable deformity as the beauty industry would have us believe) and my hair is just my hair, as my face is just my face.

Erm... I think my face draws attention to the fact that I'm not in my twenties anymore. I don't think my hair has much to do with it. I think it's a long time since I looked like I was in my prime, and like I said before, I genuinely couldn't give a sh!t ;)

When I was in my twenties I was utterly convinced that I would have dreadlocks until the day I died, but I cut them off and proved myself wrong. I can't say what my hair will be like in the future, I don't make plans, and although I'm enjoying seeing how long it might get, I expect at some point I'll chop it off.

My SO doesn't seem to care much either way, though he does get annoyed when he finds himself trussed up in bales of shed hair. :p

Anje
July 8th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm in my 30s. Guess I'll pop in here. I don't really know if this stuff all applies to me, but here goes.

Never have had any such comments. I've had a friend ask if I would cut it short, mainly from curiosity; no, I'd rather not, and even shoulder length doesn't look very good on me. Plus I'd go batty if I couldn't pull my hair back.

It's up most of the time. In the lab, this really isn't optional. I suppose I could ponytail it (if not for past experience with breakage that way) or braid it (sometimes do), but it's getting to the point where even a braid can get caught on things and a bun is way easier. I actually feel that having my hair pulled away from my face is quite flattering. I've got a roundish face, but if it's back you can see that the widest part is high cheekbones, not just cheek flesh.

Do you have small children?
Nope. I've got a few cats, but no kids. They also puke a lot, but I don't have to deal with diapers. ;)

My hair doesn't really make or break my appearance. Even if it did, I'm not sure I'd really do anything different. My body, age, and gender are not the source of what I value about myself.

I would love to have long silvery hair when I'm old. It's so much more elegant than those short curly cuts. It also seems like it would be easy to dye in some outrageous bright colors that I'd never be able to achieve without bleaching right now!

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them?
The hubby likes my long hair, and prefers it to short hair on me. He would definitely prefer it if I wore it loose more. When it was shorter (maybe waist) and I indicated that I'd like at least tailbone, he worried that he'd find it "too long", but it seems like he likes it more the longer I've grown it. Long hair is one of the few really girly things I do, and he finds it "cute". In any case, he knows that while I'll consider his opinion, I get to make the choices with things like my hair, just like he gets to be the one who decides how he wears/doesn't wear his facial hair.

Robot Ninja
July 8th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Sweet, we have our own thread!

So many women decide that after turning 30 or 35, they're not allowed to have long hair that girls and young college ladies like to wear. Thank goodness not everyone feels that way or the world would be so boring!!!
We're "not allowed" to do a lot of things, but I still do them and I haven't been arrested yet, so I'm gonna just go ahead and keep doing them.

Never. Then again, my friends don't really care what is "age appropriate." We all wear miniskirts and dark lipstick and other "age-inappropriate" things.

I don't wear it up all the time, but often. I wear my buns either at the nape or at the crown, so I don't think it looks old-fashioned or matronly. I also always wear dangly earrings when my hair is up, which makes it look more like a conscious style choice and less schoolmarmy, and my buns turn into messy buns at the slightest hint of a breeze.

When my child was small I wore a lot of braids and had her dad look after her when I needed to wash my hair. That was way before LHC though.

I don't see how it would make me look older. I have a square face, so every single "what hairstyle flatters your face?" article says I should have long wavy hair, and hey, I have long wavy hair, I'm doing it right! (Granted, by "long" they mean APL-BSL, but whatever.)

Hell yeah. I'm gonna be that old lady with the butt-length grey hair. If it ever turns completely grey. If it doesn't, I'm gonna be that old lady with the butt-length purple hair.

I don't have an SO. My ex spends more time on his hair than I do, so it wasn't so much him wanting me to get a simpler haircut, it was me wanting him to stop fluffing his hair in the mirror and get out of the bathroom because I needed to use it. I wouldn't date anyone who tried to dictate my appearance in any way, because screw that.

pastina
July 8th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I'm actually 29, 30 in about four months, though. I'm joining anyway! WOO!
(And congrats to Leilani on her impending number FOUR!)

I don't really have a lot of friends locally-- I'm pretty new to my area. My husband freakin' LOVES my hair, though. He likes it long, and he especially likes that I play with color. I've been doing semi dyes for 15 years now, it's kind of a part of who I am. :) A friend of mine that I haven't seen in quite some time called the other day and, during the conversation, asked me if I still had bright colored hair. He was thrilled to hear that I did. I get the feeling that that's the consensus among my friends and family.

I don't! Ok, I wear it up a LOT of the time, and I wear it up to sleep, but I do like to feel it loose. As long as I'm within the first few days after a wash, it's very likely I'll take it down during the course of the day. ...I *sometimes* feel like it looks matronly, depending on the severity of the bun? Like, how tightly it's pulled back, how high/low the bun is. But, I have side swept bangs that soften the look, and I wear turban headbands on occasion that help, too. Plus, it's four different colors, so... :p

I have two-- one was 11 months yesterday, the other is 2.5 next week. So I rarely (if ever) wash my hair more than once a week. I honestly feel like it's easier to have long hair around kids, though-- I just tie it up and suddenly it's neat, regardless of how dirty it is, and the littles have nothing to yank.

Nope. I think most people assume I'm younger than I actually am.

I'll keep up the color, because it just makes me too happy to give up for any reason. Length, I'm not so sure, because I tend to get bored. It helps that my husband really prefers the way long hair looks on me, and that I have a nice collection of hair toys, now.

He loves it. LOVES it. haha! He's actually trying to grow his out, now, so is very appreciative of the advice I can offer him.

Marika
July 8th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I'm also in my early 30s, so here we go!

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? No, no one ever comments my hair. I don't care about 'stylish' and neither does my friends.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? I wear my hair up 99 % of the time. I used to think that buns look a bit matronly/severe on me but not after I cut bangs earlier this year. Now I look kinda cute with updos :)

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? I have a toddler and I'm hoping to have another kid next year (not trying yet, just planning). No, it's not challenging. I'm able to take showers and do hair treatments whenever I like (and I'm a single mom by choice, so no 'babysitters' around here). When I say 'mom's going to wash her hair', my kid actually brings me sometimes my mixing bowl, a bottle of honey and a bottle of conditioner and points the microwave oven like 'hey mom, it's time to do a hair treatment!' :D I wash my hair every other day and I don't blowdry or style it. My kid likes to play with my hairtoys and is allowed to do so (I don't care if they break, they are just 'material').

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? I don't know how to answer this... I've always looked younger than I am but I don't think hair has anything to do with it.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? I've always had long hair except three years ago, when I cut it (TBL+) to shoulder length out of boredom (now it's back to hip). I think it's always going to be long most of the time but maybe I'll get bored again :D But I know I'll never have shorter lenght than shoulder length. That's just not my thing.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? I don't have SO but whenever I've dated a man, they have always spent more time on their hair than me on my hair. I also wouldn't date anyone who would have an 'opinion' on my appearances.

woodswanderer
July 8th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Well, I will be 32 this month, so I guess I qualify.

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? No, zero comments about getting a more appropriate style, or a different style.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? I don't wear it up all the time. I don't think it is particularly aging when I do wear it up, since younger people are always wearing topknots. Also I have a baby face, so I can stand a little aging. However, I do think down is my most flattering look.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable). Nope, no children, and I won't be having children in the future. Now, my laziness does make it hard for me to do hair treatments.;)

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? No, I don't think so. I look younger than my age probably due to hiding from the sun and having a baby face. I suppose it might look more unusual when I hit 40, but I think long hair is flattering on anyone.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Yes, but I may cut as short as waist if it gets too difficult as I get older. I wouldn't get a short cut as long as I could care for it.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha He says he likes it if I ask him, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't care one way or the other. He doesn't take an interest in stroking it, etc. I think he wouldn't like it short, but anything longer than shoulder length would probably be fine to him.

AspenSong
July 8th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I squeak in here - 30 now, 31 in Sept.

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? Frankly, one of my closest friends is Seeshami, so no...don't get that from her. lol. The few other friends I have, say nothing. Mostly probably because I would ignore them anyway and over the last few years I've made it fairly obvious to people I don't really care what anyone thinks of MY hair.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? I do. At the length it is now, wearing it down isn't much of an option mostly. Last time I did, I had to spend 20 minutes trying to get it out of dreadlocked knots and that was WITH being smothered in heavy cones! Honestly, I do feel I probably look kind of matronly and super serious with it pulled in a bun so much. But again, my hair...don't care enough to cut it!

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable). No kids. But it is a challenge to keep my cats from eating it and using it as floss.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? - Nah. I mean, I do think it maybe makes me look older - but I've been wearing my hair back for so long, it was like this through my 20's for part of it.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? I plan to, but who knows. Sometimes life has other plans. I'm perfectly happy with that as the plan for now.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha No. Hubby likes longer hair, even though mine was short when we met and got married. He looks at it as, it's mine, so what I do with it is up to me. His only comment is asking me to never have a pixie. *shrug*

curlylocks85
July 8th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I'll join. I will be 30 next month.

Do you get a lot of comments from yourda same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

Since I was ten, people of all ages have told me I would look better if I straightened my hair and get a cut that was short and framed my face. I always say I like my hair long and I am going to keep it that way. People either drop the subject or make a face that reveals extreme disapproval and disgust.

I wear my hair up alot when it is hot and/or humid, and when I need to for an activity that would require my hair to be up and out of the way. I don't think my hair looks matronly. I love how my hair looks up or down.

I have a nine year old, but when he was little, I put my hair up when I was caring for him. As he got older, I wore it down more often around him. He didn't touch my hair all that much. He is pretty good about it. He will ask if he can touch or comb it. He was always with me in the bathroom when I did my hair so it was not challenging at all.

I am 29 and most people think I am in junior high. I cannot say if someone thinks my hair makes me look older or younger - I can't know what I am not told about what someone thinks. And I am always referred to as a young lady. I like it because I feel young and I am a lady. My hair does not fram my face in the sense that I do not have face framing layers. I have one long layer, but once my hair is at least MBL I will make an appointment with my hair dresser to help me get it back to all one length. I am not sure what you mean about women being in their prime?

Yes. I want long hair for the rest of my life.

I am single, but I would not engage in a relationship with anyone who does not accept and respect me for who I am and how I live my life. My hair would not interfere with my relationships: Romantic or otherwise.

neko_kawaii
July 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
My friends have the good sense not to impose "style" on other people.

I do wear my hair up all the time. If I wore mutton sleeves I suppose it might look old fashioned. Given that I am a middle aged married woman I am by definition a matron. I worry no more about my age than what age I look

I cut my waist length hair into a shaggy pixie before my son was born. While in the past I had loved short hair cuts on myself, I thought it would be easier taking care of short hair with a baby. What I hadn't considered is that short hair needs to be washed more often. My baby screamed until he vomited if I was out of sight/touch until he was about three years old. Washing my hair was not something I got to do very often and when I did it was to muffled screams.

Uh, what?

I see no reason not to.

Uh, what?

elsieivy
July 8th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I'll be 30 in mid July.

I've never gotten any negative comments on my hair or its length. I live in a part of the country where long hair on women and men of all ages is pretty common though.

Because of the humidity and wind I do try to wear my hair up when I'm out of the house. I have long side bangs and some wispy bit around my face which I think helps to keep it from looking too aging.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging?

I had my kids young so they aren't that little anymore. My "baby" is about to start kindergarten. I don't really remember them making things more difficult though.

I'm not really sure how to answer this one. I've always thought long hair looks flattering on people of all ages so I just assume it looks okay on me and doesn't really call attention to my age one way or the other.

As long as I don't develop any health issues that prevent me from taking care of my hair I plan to keep it long forever!

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them?

My hair really doesn't take up that much of my time or attention and as far as I know my husband likes it. He really isn't that picky about hair. He liked it when it was at APL. He likes it now that it is at waist and he's fine with the idea of me growing it to classic.

Thanks for starting this thread leilani and congrats on the baby.

It'll be interesting to see if my answers change as I get older.

Swan Maiden
July 8th, 2015, 01:07 PM
]Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?
No, I don't have any friends nearby, but my friends I do keep in touch with love my hair. I had one woman that was a potential friend around my age look at my hair with disgust and told me it was time for a cut. I just told her different strokes for different folks and maybe she should stop shaving her 2 year old daughters head and let it grow out.

Yes, my hair is mostly up out of convenience. I do feel that it may look a little librarian-ish because I do wear glasses, but hey, that is someones fantasy out there right?

I have one child, age 4. I do not run into many hair care obstacles because I keep things simple.

I feel like many of these questions are focused on the old dead horse of long hair makes you look older, which I disagree with. Hair is an excellent outward signal of many biological processes.

Absolutely.

Pfff... HAHAHA

Edited to add my apologies for awful formatting, my child decided it was a good time to turn off my computer while typing.

velorutionista
July 8th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I'm in my early mid thirties (32), and I can't say I've really run into much public comment on my age & hair (aside from my MIL, who keeps exclaiming how surprised she is that it's "getting so long" every time I see her)...but here goes:

Nope...hair is not a hot topic amongst my friends, I guess. If the question ever came up, I think we would all get a good laugh out of trying to define "age appropriate".

I'd say it's up about 70% of the time these days, but I don't really think about how it looks, it's either up and out of the way, or down because I don't need it out of the way and it doesn't need washing yet. I guess I'm at a point where I don't really worry about how my hair makes me look...I'm enjoying it and that ought to be good enough for everyone else.

No littles here, just a cat (who definitely thinks braid tassles are toys). Hair goes up when hanging out with friends' littles, though, and I could see how a parade of sticky grabby fingers would present a unique challenge!

Um...not sure how to answer this, really, it's just not on my radar. I mean, aging is a fact, and it sure beats the alternative. I'm not in my 20s any longer, and they aren't some ideal I aspire to, you know? I am where I am, and my hair has relatively little to do with that. I think experience and confidence are a better indicator of being in one's prime, so to speak.

I would love to have long silvery hair with wild color streaks (hard to get teal over my current henna...and if my relatives are a good barometer, I'll have silver hair in my early 50s to play with!) However, if my hair became a burden (say, hard to manage for myself or a caregiver), it'd get shortened to a manageable length in a hurry.

I've never really felt the need to ask. I think he's happy as long as I'm happy with it. I do know he's not a fan of finding the occasional shed hair tumbleweed, though...

Arctic
July 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Wow, looks like we have a bunch of strong, fabulous women here, who never waver due to societal, or other pressures :D Or even notice them! That's amazing!

I can't really say I am like that, to the core, and I completely (think I ) get what Leilani was after with her questions. I can identify with the spirit of OP, and I have been having similar thoughts; not about hair, though, but about my clothes and style and appearance and look in general in the past 2-3 years. I call it (part of) my age crisis (the big 4-0 is approaching...).

BTW, I'd love to open this thread for men also, the original questions were very female-centered. Any 30 something guys out there? How have you experienced this age when it comes to hair?

schnibbles
July 8th, 2015, 04:15 PM

A friend (she is 36) I only see a few times a year insinuated she really liked it when my hair was cut in a bob at my chin (this was probably 8 years ago? I'm 35 now) She said she thought I looked "cuter". (she currently has a bob, for what that's worth. Nothing wrong with it if you like it, but it looked horrible on me with my face shape. Really horrible. I hated that bob on me very, very much. So never again)
No one else other than her has said anything like that..

I do wear it up lately about 90% of the time. It's hard to wear it down anymore, it winds itself around everything and generally makes a mess. It actually *wants* to be in a bun now, it's "fully trained" finally!
Do I feel it looks aging and old fashioned? Yes. Probably. I also feel like I am too hard on myself and I'm getting to the point in my life where I want to do what I want to do. And if that means wearing my hair up because it's more comfortable and practical, then... why the heck not?

I don't have any children and will not in the future

Hum...... I do kind of get what OP is saying with this question, at least I think I do (?)
I never really thought of it like that though. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not. I haven't the faintest idea how I appear to others... people will judge you for absolutely anything and everything, not just hair. So, I guess I don't know. But I don't think my hair makes me look older than I am. When I had eyebrow-length-straight-across bangs a few years ago I looked younger with those. But I hated them. And I'm not trying to look younger. Sorry if that answer doesn't make any sense lol.

I will always try to keep my hair long if it's healthy and in good shape. Definitely. Probably never any shorter than BSL if I can help it.

He likes me to wear my hair down. He does not like buns. But I wear it bunned most of the time and by now he knows better to not say anything. :) I wear it down for him if we go on a date or something. And when we get home, it gets detangled and put right back up again.

leilani
July 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM
I edited the OP to encourage you guys to just answer the questions if you want to but those questions are not supposed to be the point of this thread by any means. I just wanted us to have our own general chat thread, and thought a few questions would help get the ball rolling.
Sorry to those of you who didn't understand or were put off by the questions. I don't know anyone IRL with long hair so I felt like a bit of a rebel with it and around here ALL women approaching 40 or over seem to cut it very short and ditch their contacts and go for thick glasses and switch to a very androgynous look, so I guess my environment has played a part in my musings.

AnqeIicDemise
July 8th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Honestly, I haven't really noticed anything.

Then again, most people think I'm a lot younger than I really am. I'm mostly suffering from baby talk and failed attempts at procreation. *that* is the one topic I've been getting a lot and I just want to beat them all.

I'm 31, married for 6 years and have two fur children. How or when I'll have children is nobody's business but ours. ~.~ I'm slowly teaching my mom to knock it off.

she's a fan of long hair, though, so I doubt I'll get much complaint about it being almost CL. Her gripes are that I have it colored and its an 'obnoxious, unnatural color' nobody would *ever* take me seriously.

I don't know. A lot of people do.

Marika
July 9th, 2015, 02:35 AM
I guess I just don't see how it's anybody else's problem how I dress, wear my hair etc. I don't pay any attention to other people's clothes or hair because I'm not them. They have right to wear whatever they want and they usually have a reason why they have chosen a particular 'style'. Personally, I've been that overweight that it was really hard to find any clothes. If I wear tracksuit bottoms that doesn't make me any less of a woman. If someone thinks so, it's just sad and extremery narrow view of femininity. I work with 50+ year old women and they don't have short hair or 'androgynous look' but if they did, good for them. That doesn't mean I have to do exactly the same thing when I turn 40 years old. I'm not a sheep and neither are most of the women I know. Especially now after having a kid, it's really important to be a good role model to my kid(s), have good self-esteem and be strong and proud of myself. And let them know, they can rock any style they want. It's so sad that some mothers pass their insecurities to their children.

But enough of that :rant: :D

If you've already had long hair for some time now, have your updo skills gotten better over the years? Mine aren't :D. I still can't do a french braid and I'm wearing a nautilus pretty much everyday because it's fast, easy and relatively secure.

elsieivy
July 9th, 2015, 03:15 AM
If you've already had long hair for some time now, have your updo skills gotten better over the years? Mine aren't :D. I still can't do a french braid and I'm wearing a nautilus pretty much everyday because it's fast, easy and relatively secure.

My hair has been between apl and hip since middle school and it's only within the past two years or so that I've had any luck figuring out updos. I first learned to french braid about three years ago. I'm still not great with braids and updos but at least I've improved a little.

Arctic
July 9th, 2015, 03:29 AM
I edited the OP to encourage you guys to just answer the questions if you want to but those questions are not supposed to be the point of this thread by any means. I just wanted us to have our own general chat thread, and thought a few questions would help get the ball rolling.
Sorry to those of you who didn't understand or were put off by the questions. I don't know anyone IRL with long hair so I felt like a bit of a rebel with it and around here ALL women approaching 40 or over seem to cut it very short and ditch their contacts and go for thick glasses and switch to a very androgynous look, so I guess my environment has played a part in my musings.

I got it :)

Oh my, I don't seem to be very womanly by your description ;) (not offended, just giggling!). I wear glasses, love androgynous style and have short hair by LHC standards, and have often sported pixie cuts :D I assure you I am still woman, even if I'm not very traditionally feminine :D *giggles*

Here in Finland most women of my age do seem to have shorter styles, but I do also see APL hair, sometimes even longer. Several of my friends and aquintances (sp?) wear theirs long. My settings (university) probably helps with this, too.

However, surprisingly many women of my age and older have, for the past ten (?) years been very drawn to short, asymmetrical cuts with unnatural colours - or their hairdressers push these styles because they are high maintainance. I love unnatural colours but when you see every other 45 year old having wine red hair or something it looses its appeal.

In Finland we have a bit different kind of gender appearance "rules" than in some other western countries. Women do not need to spend hours in front of mirror, it's part of societal equality. Women here have historically been poor and hardworking, which hasn't lent to a culture of frilly feminity. I wouldn't be surprised if roots of this would be visible even today. We tend to be very practical to a fault too. :)

Does anyone spend time in universities? There you can, at least here, see long hair quite a lot, even on "older" people (men and women).

Night_Kitten
July 9th, 2015, 07:15 AM
*snip*

I can see (or rather feel) some improvement in "bunning / updo skills" (and I better do - I've been wearing my hair up for about 5 years now, lol), but still there are buns (some of them quite simple) that I haven't "got" how to do properly yet (by properly I mean so that they consistently stay put and be secure, and won't pull or fall apart)...

pastina
July 9th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I've never had anyone not take me seriously because of the color of my hair. And it's as obnoxiously colored as it can get.

AnqeIicDemise
July 9th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I've never had anyone not take me seriously because of the color of my hair. And it's as obnoxiously colored as it can get.

Same here. My mom's antiquated, at least that's my theory.

ladonna
July 9th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I'm 32 and have 3 kids ages 11, 7, and 4. In the are I live (northern Idaho) it's pretty normal females to have long hair, and undyed. At a school event I noticed several young moms (30's) with grey streaks. I'm a stay at home mom so I have plenty of time for hair treatments, but I only pre-oil before shampooing.
The only person who's ever said anything negative about hair is my neighbor but IMO her ideas are kind of odd. She seems to think no ones hair should be longer than shoulder, it's bad not to use a hairdresser, and children must have a fringe, and after 40 hair should be even shorter like a pixie or bob.

elvenelk
July 9th, 2015, 04:54 PM

I remain silent and question whether they consider themselves fashion gurus, following the crowd like sheep

My hair is always up, because it still doesn't hang very well as its only APL and very thick.

Nope.

I feel the same just more comfortable in my skin, than i was in my twenties.

Maybe not.. maybe so.

No SO... (forever alone)

Upside Down
July 12th, 2015, 06:38 AM

No never

Yes it is up...90% of the time. Well, I do prefer it down. I don't feel like it is aging me , but I feel prettier with hair down. However with a baby almost toddler around, it is just easier and less painful to have it up.
I do style and wear it down every now and then :)

I answered already. About caring well not really, not anymore. First weeks were so bad for me, I didn't comb my hair and just shampooed it and kept it in a bun. Finally I just couldn't deal with it and went to a salon to have someone else brush it and had a cut.

Draws attention? How would it do that? I don't understand this question

I have no idea :)

He doesn't really care about hair lol
Also, for me, shorter is higher maintenance so... no :)

Ps turning 33 this year with a 11 month old child.

I have a few questions too if that's ok! Pure curiosity. Answer if you feel like it!

How many grays do you have?
I am hennaed and dyed but estimate to 10-15%

Do you tend to devote more or less time to hair compared to your 20s?
I know this is also lenght dependant but thlught I'd ask anyway... :)

I definetly devote more time (and money!) to hair now, though I suspect this has more to do with being active on lhc :lol:

Wanna beer?
I do.

Thanks! For the replies I mean. I'll get my own beer.

leilani
July 12th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Hate beer, really hard to find a silver hair(there are a few there if you really search ), and I spend the same amount of time these days as my twenties. Not much! :)

LauraLongLocks
July 12th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Hey, thanks for starting this thread, Leilani.

I'm 38 years old, and my hair is currently between hip and BCL. I feel smokin' hot with my long hair, and have no plans to cut it off. No one has ever made me feel that I should cut it shorter. Everyone who says anything at all say that they love my long hair. I do wear it up a lot of the time, and have one friend who asks me what the point of having long hair is if I just wear it up all the time. She has seen it down a few times now that we've been friends a while, and so now she doesn't get on me as much about it. I have small children and livestock and wearing hair up is definitely more practical than down. I never feel matronly for wearing it up. I love it up or down. A bun on the crown of the head looks more youthful to me than one at the nape.

Having long hair does NOT draw attention to my age, as if I would be embarrassed of being 38 years old. No, in fact, most people guess me to be in my mid to late 20s, unless they know how many children I have (12 and one on the way). I think my hair worn down makes me look amazing, youthful, and sexy. Up, it's pretty, but not as flattering to my face.

I'm a long hair for lifer. I will definitely keep my long hair into old age. Madora has been an inspiration for me in that her mobility issues with her arms and shoulders present a problem for her caring for her own hair, but she has managed to find a way to handle it, despite its exceptional length.

My husband loves my long hair, but even if he didn't, I love it, so that's the most important thing. I would not alter my appearance to suit any man.

Edit: Answering a few more Q's... I found 2 grays on my head when I was 32 and had head lice. I spend more time on my hair now than when I was in my 20s, but I'm more effective and efficient in having great results for the amount of work I put into it. And no, I don't like the taste of beer. If you were offering wine, I might take you up on it.

Lady Mary
July 12th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Somewhere in the area of 5. I find them sometimes but they're usually in the underneath layer.

Less I think. In my 20s I dyed it all sorts of colors often and maintained my own short cuts (I learned to cut my own hair during this time.)

Wanna beer?
Not a fan of alcohol I'm afraid but I'm enjoying some coffee at the moment so I'm good :)

Glynis72
July 12th, 2015, 08:13 AM
This is me! I have always had BSL hair as my default, but when I became pregnant with my daughter I cut to chin! I did not get a hair cut for 15 mo after she was born. Knowing I could do that, I decided on growing it out. I find that it is easier to have long hair and take care of my now 3 year old daughter (except on wash days) The short hair required daily heat styling to look good, and my daughter does not like anything to have my attention that long!
The only people who really comment on my hair at all are some of my work mates who are just out of college. They call it princess hair and say either that they want to braid it or that they want me to braid theirs. I have had one work mate my age ask my opinion about what natural hair care products to use. I am a social worker, so there are lots of ladies of all ages with long hair in my office. I admit, I feel I look a bit matronly with my up dos at times, but honestly I find this more the fault of some weight I have let myself put on and not the long hair or my age. My SO likes my long hair fine, but he would like it better if it were red. Maybe I should try this henna thing?

Swan Maiden
July 12th, 2015, 12:21 PM
I am finding many gray hairs along my temples, but it kind of blends into my ashy hair color. I do have a white streak that I've noticed since my twenties.

I played around a lot with my hair in my twenties. I had waist length that I cut into many different lengths, bobs, devil lock, mohawk, shaved. I also had an affair with platinum hair which I eventually just shaved. So, I think my focus has shifted to maintaining the health of my hair and I don't really spend as much time as I did in my twenties.

Im allergic to alcohol, but I will make some mead to share :)

elvenelk
July 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM
one

definitely now.

Wanna beer?
no achohol for me thanks.cup of green tea with mint

Arctic
July 12th, 2015, 01:33 PM

Some, but no idea about the percentage. Quite little all and all. I might be developing a stipe to my temple area. There are also some at my crown.

More time now. To me it's more hairtype thing than length thing. When my hair was slippery, straight and fine, it was just soooo easy, for the big part because I had embraced my hairtype and didn't try to make it into something it was not. My current hairtype needs more work.

Wanna beer?

Not really, no :) I like beer but have grown an aversion these days, to how alcohol effects me.

Upside Down
July 12th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Nobody here seems to drink beer, maybe I am in the wrong group? Have I gone back to my twenties without noticing? :lol:

Interesting though, it seems grays come later. I always thought I'd be gray by 40, seems not to be the case.
And how lucky are those who are developing streaks of gray hair!

Arctic
July 12th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Oh, I would love to drink beer, I love how it tastes! I just don't like how alcohol affects me. I used to drink beer (and everything else, lol) all the time when I was younger :D

Anje
July 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM
A couple dozen, I think, on to of my head. Not enough to express as a percentage, but they're findable when I haven't hennaed, if you actually want to look around for them.

Well, more since I joined LHC than in my early 20s, maybe. But not a lot, on the whole. I still pretty much wash my hair, let it airdry (typically overnight), comb it out, and put it up. More buns and braids than ponytails now, but I think I wash a bit less often.

Wanna beer?
Absolutely. Got any good American IPAs? Belgian IPAs, maybe? (I tend to avoid English styles because I detest Whitbread yeast. Yes, I'm a beer nerd.)

see_turtle
July 12th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I'll be 32 in September, I live in NH

No, not really. Only comments I've gotten are something along the lines of "why have it long if you always wear it up?" sometimes I get "you should wear it down"

Yes, it's up 90% of the time. No, not at all, I think that it is more refined. I never had "fashionable hair"

No children yet, soon hopefully, I imagine having it up would be most practical, DH can watch the future bub while I shower

No, I don't think it's that uncommon here to have long hair. I do like it down but its a pain in the ass so most of the time it's up....I usually take it down for photos

100% yes.

My DH prefers short hair on women, he's pretty uninterested in my hair overall, he's into autonomy

see_turtle
July 12th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe 20? I have no idea how to count. Less than 2%

Less, back then I got it cut every 3 months, straightened it all the time, brushed it constantly

Wanna beer?
No, I dislike beer.

elsieivy
July 12th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I have a handful of grays. I've had about the same amount since my mid twenties. I don't mind them but I don't usually see them since I henna.

I think I spend around the same amount of time on my hair now that I did in my mid to late twenties. I was into malign neglect for a while in my early twenties though.

Beer isn't really my thing but I won't say no to a mai tai!:toast:

Marika
July 13th, 2015, 12:23 AM
I haven't noticed any gray hair but it's hard to tell because my natural color is dark blonde. It looks kind of grayish in some lightning and reddish in another. Most likely I have some grays. Now I'm growing out henna, so we'll see after it's gone (which is going to take yeeears):brickwall It could be genes also. My grandmother (on father's side) turns 80 this year and her hair isn't really gray. It's become more lighter over the years but it's sort of light brown now. My mother would probably have fully gray hair if she didn't dye it but her natural color is a lot darker than mine.

I also spend the same amount of time on my hair than I did on my 20s. My hair was waist-tailbone all my twenties and now it's almost BCL again. Hair is kind of a security blanket for me. The more anxious I am, the more I seem to fuss over it. Sometimes I don't think about my hair at all and don't even read this forum.

I'll drink anything with an umbrella in it! :cool:

leilani
July 13th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Mmmmmmm I can't wait for summer cocktails once I'm not pregnant!

velorutionista
July 13th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Not many...just enough that I can see a few strands here and there if I really look (more around my temples than anywhere else), but not enough to really count (and sporadic henna updates hide them all every now and then).

Definitely less, and the stuff I do devote time to is more maintenance/long term care than style these days.

Wanna beer?
Yep! A nice Flemish red or a mellow Belgian farmhouse ale would be lovely today!

Robot Ninja
July 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Lots. It's hard to count because I dye over them. They're mostly at the sides.

Definitely more, although it's probably because I wasn't on LHC in my 20s.

Wanna beer?
I'd love a beer.

Flor.
July 13th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Hello, since I'm in the middle of my thirties this thread is perfect! Here my replies:

No, everybody is very supportive in all my decisions about hair. In general they don't think there is a particular hairstyle people have to follow depending on the age. It's up to everyone taste :)

When I had longer hair I used to keep it up most of the time, especially during summer (here is very hot from June to October). I only kept it loose when I was out with family and friends. I don't think it looks aging on me, at all.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging?
No, I don't have children, for the moment.

I think that long hair compliment my feature, it's a distinctive sign of myself, in a good way.

I think I'll keep on having long hair, I'm not sure about which length, but definitely long.

My SO loves my long hair. When I cut my hair very short (pixie and then a bob) he was nice and he made a lot of compliments, but I know he prefers long hair on me.

neko_kawaii
July 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
No thanks on the beer. Anyone want a margarita or mojito?

teal
July 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM
No, probably because a. I don't have a lot of female friends, b. my male friends don't say those sorts of things, c. I've talked to all of them ad nauseum about loving my long hair, and d. I don't give two squirts about what's in fashion and everyone knows it. I'm sure my friends roll their eyes and smirk when they think about me in context to what society says a woman should do, heh.

Yes, I do wear it up the vast majority of the time. I strongly dislike hair in my face; I find it bothersome. I'm sure it ages me (I haven't been carded in a while) and it definitely looks old-fashioned... but I rather like old-fashioned so that's cool. Also, I generally have no falafels to give about fashion, per above - if a person is judging my looks over my content, they're probably not in the right frame of mind or stage of life to carry the kinds of discussions I want to have.

Yes, I do, and no, it doesn't. I'm not doing deep treatments on a frequent basis. When I do, I put the kids to bed, put DH on night-waking duty for long enough to get the job done, then get the job done. I generally sleep on it and wash it out before they get up in the morning. I try not to henna without backup, simply because I don't want to invite the cleaning disaster that would be comforting a child during a half-done henna job. For regular bathing, I separate hair wash days from regular showers, then I can shower with the kids as needed.

The biggest hazard is my youngest, who loves to brush my hair. When he asks, I'll let him brush the ends. Sometimes he sneak-attacks my head with the Tangle Teezer... when my hair is still up :doh:

Both. Though, I think it would look better as a frame if I wore it down more often. Probably the same regarding the showcasing of the prime of life, though I think that goes with the rest of the body as a package. Again, I give no falafels about fashion trends, so I don't feel a pull to keep looking like a young lady. I'm no lady, anyway. *snort*

Maybe. The current plan is to see how long it'll go, since I don't actually know what my terminal length is. I'll play it by ear... or butt... or knee...

DH loves it and has (jokingly) forbidden me to cut it without his approval. (While he would never actually forbid me from doing something, I'm sure he'd be honestly upset if I cut it without warning.)

Edited to add the last 3 questions ;)

None that I can see. I find it difficult to believe, but it seems to be true as I haven't plucked or even located a single grey. My mum is in her 60s and if she's not naturally without greys she's doing a fantastic job of covering it because I see no evidence of roots or touchups anywhere. I've half a mind to ask her what the truth of it is, but haven't worked up the courage (or the chutzpah) - lol. :o

That's kind of a funny question - my opinion swung like a pendulum while I considered it. I suppose the true answer is that i spend less linear time now. That said, I think I spend more quality time now. I was straightening my hair a lot in my 20s, with a short haircut, and I washed it more often and put more product into it. However, now I henna more often than I dyed back then, and the time I spent styling is now spent brushing.

I've been a champion of benign neglect the whole time, though, haha.

Wanna beer?
Yes please, the less hoppy the better. :ale:

Astroflammante
July 14th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I'm in! Turned 36 a few days ago, not quite sure how that happened since I feel more like 26...:hmm:
No. I don't think they care about that. I think the "age appropriate hairstyle" thing is more common in the US maybe? (I'm in Sweden) Or maybe it depends on ones social circle, we're mostly middle-class people in the arts and culture sector.

I almost always wear it up, that was my intent when I started to grow it out. All up-dos, all the time! I look matronly, that has nothing to do with my hair. It probably makes me look older, but I decided not to care about that. I have the kind of hair I want to have now, not the hair the magazines tell me is "flattering to my face shape".

No kids.

I haven't thought about it that way. My hair certainly doesn't "frame" my face when in an updo, it's very flat. But I don't hide behind my long hair the way I did when I was a teenager. So I feel that my "hair mannerisms" indicates maturity, but not age.

Yes, I think so. I had long hair as a teenager, then cut it in a "flattering" cut and had less than shoulderlength hair for a long time. Then I realised that I had cut my hair because of societal norms, not because I liked it that way. And then I got my "F***-off fairy (http://offbeathome.com/2014/01/****-off-fairy)" (warning for strong language if you follow that link!) and decided to do what I wanted with MY hair. :rockerdud

No SO.

And three more questions:

A few, I think. I dye my hair, it's hard to know...

Probably more time, even if I wash much less. But all the buns I can do! Standard workday morning, it's probably the same time though.

Wanna beer?
Yes please! A nice dark stout would be great right about now...

curlylocks85
July 16th, 2015, 05:11 AM
None

I spent a lot of time on my hair from middle school to about 2.5 years ago. Now, I spend less time on it since I went to virgin hair and stopped heat damaging my hair. Also, the longer it gets the easier it is to manage which equals less time spent.

Wanna beer?
No thanks. I like to be in control of my mind and body.

texangrrl
July 16th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I'll be 34 next month so I can join this thread - yay!! :cheer:

I haven't received any comments other than, "Your hair is getting so long..." It's currently MBL, closing in on WL and is the longest it's ever been. Most of my life it's been between SL and BSL.

I wear it up about 50% of the time. And when I do, it's usually up for convenience to get it out of my face. I honestly look about 25-27 years old (I just moved to a new state and everyone seems surprised when they learn I'm in my 30's) and so I don't feel it looks matronly on me. Besides, buns seem to be very popular right now. :)

I have one daughter and she's 13 years old (I was a young mama!). When she was younger, I didn't really find it was too challenging to care for my hair, but like I said earlier, it's been between SL and BSL most my life.

I don't think it makes me look older at all, but I've heard so many comments from various people over the years that women shouldn't have long hair once they pass their 20's. I've always been secretly envious of those with WL hair or longer but couldn't get to that length because I didn't know how to care for my hair. For awhile I had bought into the notion that longer hair on a woman in their 30's was a bit childish and I decided to get an angled bob when I was 29. HUGE mistake!! It was cute, but I dearly missed my hair (it was BSL at the time). I chose to grow it out to WL but still didn't know how to care for it, so I was constantly having to cut off a couple inches here and there. Now I know how to care for it and am successfully growing it out - I could care less if people think I shouldn't grow it out or think I would look better with a "styled" cut. I have always seriously loved long hair and I just feel that it's what is right for me.

I don't forsee myself going short when I get older because I absolutely hated a bob on me and I just don't see myself doing anything shorter than BSL. In fact, I love seeing older women with long hair that's been taken care of. To me, they actually seem more youthful and free spirited than women who cut it off and keep it in a short style.

I'm currently single but when I do find Mr. Right, he better love my long hair!!! :silly:

texangrrl
July 16th, 2015, 08:02 AM
No thanks on the beer. Anyone want a margarita or mojito?

Margarita for me!!

Very, very few. Like maybe less than 10 hairs.

I devote less time because I quit using a flat iron and curling iron. I still use a hair dryer, but only on my front section to tame my cowlick down. But I did quit using the hair dryer on the rest of it.

Wanna beer?

I don't like the taste of beer and I don't like the effects of alchohol anyway, but I do like an occasional margarita or glass of wine. On those rare occasions, I do not have more than two drinks.

RockyLvsAdrian
July 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I'll join please!! I'm 34.

I've never been one to follow fashion so nobody really questions my style choices! Plus long hair is the kind of average look around here. I also have Bettie Page bangs so my hair always looks a little different regardless of length.

I'm trying to get into the hair up habit. I don't think it really suits me but I want to try and protect it while I'm growing to save on trims etc.

No kids for me yet!

I never really think about it to be honest - I just go with what I like!

I want to get to waist so it might take me until I'm in my 40s to get there!

He finds my new hair toy obsession amusing but I think he's happy as long as I am!

RockyLvsAdrian
July 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM
And missed these 3!

I don't think I have any but who knows what's lurking under that dye??

I definitely care about it more but because of that I need to spend less time to make it look nice if you know what I mean?

Wanna beer?

Always! But the glass of wine I have in my hand will have to do for now!

AZDesertRose
July 20th, 2015, 10:14 PM

Not really, but my friend who is closest to my age thinks it's a fantastic idea to grow my hair long. Many of my friends are 10-15 years older than I am and also have long hair, so they're pretty cool with me growing mine back out, so I don't really ever have to defend my decision to grow my hair long. In any case, my friends tend to be the mind-your-own-business types. They don't tell me what to do with my hair, and I don't tell them what to do with theirs unless they specifically ask my advice.

I do wear it up the overwhelming majority of the time for both protective reasons and "it's Florida and therefore too darn hot to wear it down" reasons. :D And I honestly don't give a rip if it looks matronly or old-fashioned. :D

Nope, my only child is a young adult (I had her when I was quite young). I cut my hair super short when I was late in my pregnancy, under the mistaken belief that short hair would be easier to deal with (not on me) and would not get pulled as much by little hands (ha!). She still managed to pull my short hair; I'd have been better off with long hair up, and it would have been more flattering and easier to take care of.

I honestly don't care. I know I'm not a young lady anymore. (I actually debated waiting six months until I can join the forty-somethings thread because I will be forty in January 2016.) And I don't really miss youth except for the energy level I had fifteen or twenty years ago. If I could have my twenty-one-year-old self's energy level but keep the rest of me as I am now, that would be perfect. :)

I very well may keep my long hair well into my forties, but I really couldn't say about my 50s and up. I may, though. I certainly won't cut it because I'm "too old" for long hair, but I may cut it out of wanting to change up my look a bit. Then again, I might not. :D

I am a contentedly single lady, so no SO to give a rip about what I do with my hair.

Quite a fair few. I found my first silver strand when I was about 15, and now I have a goodly streak of silver above my right eyebrow, along with a fair few sprinkled throughout the rest of my hair. However, I henna my hair so no one really sees the gray. :)

Probably about the same, honestly. I've worn my hair at least shoulder length for a LONG time, because short hair just doesn't work on me.

Wanna beer?

If it's a home brew (or a Lindeman's Lambic), sure. Otherwise, I'll go for a glass of white wine or a rum and Coke. :D (Not generally much of a beer fan, but I have some friends who make some truly yummy home brews, and I do like a Lindeman's Framboise from time to time.)

Madame J
July 21st, 2015, 10:49 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm 32 and haven't been back since I turned 30.

I don't really have a lot of same-aged friends who aren't coworkers. Coworkers don't really comment on my personal appearance much. And the few same-aged social friends I have think I look better with longer hair.

I wear my hair up a lot even though I'm only shoulder-length because I'm too lazy to dry it. Also, I love feeling old-fashioned. I can't wait until I can get my hair into a bun again!

I have no children or pets. I do have a DBF who take showers that are 3x as long as mine, and used to have a housemate who did the same, but washing with cold water is good for your hair, right?

I don't know about you all, but I'm totally still in my prime! Actually, people constantly think I'm 5-10 years younger than I am right now, so I don't mind being "mistaken" for my proper age when I wear an older hairstyle. When I wear my hair down, my greys show, though, which tends to surprise some people.

I really have no idea. I know that I can look good with hair (almost) anywhere from a pixie to waist-length, so who knows what the future will bring? I'm no longer working in a lab, so I don't have to worry about that, and I've got enough professional cred now to be a little eccentric in my appearance.

I dream of the day DBF no longer has longer hair than I do. His hair is finer/thinner, and he's balding, so he's starting to say he needs to chop. But yeah, he's had long-ish (shoulder-length) hair for years and it's been longer than mine most of the time we've been dating. And since I take less time to wash than he does, he doesn't care about me messing with it. Since I don't dye it anymore, there's not a lot of time-consuming upkeep, really.

cathair
July 21st, 2015, 01:03 PM
I don't really have any same aged friends to make those kind of comments. Where did all the people my age go? :/ I have a couple of family members who makes those comments often, both male, but they aren't consistent with them. Some days it will be 'I miss #insert family members name who used to have long hair here#, women look better with long hair' (there were a few of them with waist length hair. Then the next time I will see them it will be, long hair is for young girls, your too old for it now.

I suspect my Mum would tell me to hack it all off given the chance, but she knows what my reaction will be so she doesn't.

Yes I wear it up 99% of the time. Since I learn how much easier it is to detangle, it seems like a massive hassle to wear it down. Last couple of years I wore a lazy wrap bun on a cinnamon bun most of the time. Now I am switching between a side braid and a lazy wrap bun. The bun makes me feel matronly and other people tell me it is very ageing. Other people wear buns, but they are all top knots and sock buns, which I never wear. I feel invisible with a bun. Braids get me more attention, but I am not at all convinced it is good attention. I am still trying to work out exactly what is going on there.

No. I haz cat and he doesn't care. My Mum's dog is more challenging. He's very bouncy. If there is an opportunity he will stick a paw in it and he will rip through it. I don't even wear braids around him unless they are tucked into a t-shirt. I don't wear nice hair toys either, since he ran off with my moon once! I stick to pencils and chopsticks. I think there is still a lot of puppy in him.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" any more, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

No, but I am told it does. I had a conversation that went like this.

Them: When are you going to cut your hair, it's very ageing.
Me: Never.
Them: You can't grow it forever.
Me: Why not? How should it be?
Them: You need to cut it shorter, it's making you look older *pokes me hard in the shoulder*.
Me: Why is it aging?
Them: Long hair is for young girls and you're not a young girl any more. It's starting to look ridiculous.
Me: If young girls have long hair and older women have short hair, how is cutting my hair short going to make me look younger?
Them: <no answer to that question> well your hair looks very thin.
Me: *thinking: really what a surprise. I grew it from just below shoulder to TBL without trimming it and it has a taper. That's not an indication of age. You just want me to have short hair to fit in. When will this pointless conversation end?*

I think a person's skin is more of an indication of age. There's a line people get just under the centre of their eye. I've never seen a person over the age for 25 without one. But experience tells me other people don't think the same way as I do.

Probably. I don't enjoy hair cuts at all. Remains to be seem how long it gets. I am finding it's current length a little challenging, but I think I will get the hang of it eventually. I am not yet sure whether I will be long and white or long and blue. I always thought long and blue when I was at school. See below.

No, kitty doesn't care. I deal with my hair when he is napping. I think there was a point where he would rather than eaten less shed hair, but I hoover more now.

I am 20 - 30% pure white I estimate. I have now dyed some of it turquoise and left a little white. Blue-ish-ness makes me very happy, happier than I thought it would :)

Less and more. I had dome heat sealed extensions in my early 20's. Nothing will ever be more work than them. It was an 8 hour round trip just to get the hairdresser! And each session was 4 hours in the chair. However, in my early twenties I never put my hair up or did anything with it, other than wear it down and straighten it. So I can do lots more with it now.

Wanna beer?
Yes! I have Hobgoblin in the fridge, would you like one? I have cheese too :cheese: shall I put a Camembert in the oven? :)

TL; DR: My hair is quite white for my age and it tapers a lot due to how I grew it out. Last year it was white and I was wearing it in a bun a lot of the time. I was being asked ridiculous questions like 'do you need help to use the escalator?' [how are you going to help me?!]. This year since I have dyed some of the white turquoise and wear it out in a braid, I am back to being ID'ed/carded.

So yes, I do believe my hair was ageing me. However, I suspect the colour to be even more ageing than the length.

Jadestorm
July 26th, 2015, 06:31 AM
What a fun thread! :D

Honestly, not at all. I think they couldn’t even imagine me without my long hair.

No, but I do wear it up frequently because it’s more practical. I do not feel that makes me look old fashioned at all because I wear fun hair accessories and also my clothing and make up and other accessories make me look anything but old fashioned. People always think I’m way younger than I actually am ;)

No kids here so the question doesn’t apply to me.

No, people always think I’m way younger than I am and I actually think my long hair just adds to that and I might look older with short hair.

Yes, I do. Possibly shorter for practical reasons, like waist length, but still pretty long.

My boyfriend loves my hair, he thinks it’s super feminine and attractive on me.

enting
October 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I honestly don't think I ever heard of the idea of needing to cut hair at a certain age before hanging around the LHC. I see many people of all ages and sexes with long hair where I live. Usually I don't see hair on men or older women that is longer than bsl or midback length, but I don't think longer would be looked at too oddly. I usually wear my hair up and wrapped when I go out, partially to avoid damage, and frankly, to lessen the likeliness of getting lice. I live where it's quite a common thing for schoolchildren to get or have lice, and I very much regretted leaving it down on one occasion when I visited the toy store for costume supplies. No, I didn't get lice, but I was worried I was going to.
eta: I have a somewhat even sprinkling of white hairs, possibly more concentrated toward a patch about an inch back from my right temple. There are a bunch of long hairs that are yellow-blonde rather that white, but I can find a lot of fine, definitely colorless hairs if I hunt for them. They're basically invisible if someone doesn't have their nose in my hair. Those really white ones are all several inches long, shorter than tip-of-ear length. Sometimes I wonder if all my new growth hairs are growing in white.
As far as how much time I spend on it... probably about the same amount as in my 20s, just on different things. I used to do a lot of different styles on my hair, like microbraids, fake dreadlocks, segmented ponytails, and other things, but didn't do any protective styles during the day nor to sleep. I also didn't do anything for it other than shampoo, condition, and brush (yes, i know, yikes). Now I don't really do all that much with it as far as styling, but I do spend hours S&Ding, I braid or bun it for sleeping, and I try to gently finger detangle or comb rather than ripping through it with a brush.

ReadingRenee
October 19th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Oh cool! I can be in this thread for half a year! I was just thinking yesterday that I was sad that I had squandered my best years with short hair. I mean, my before children hormonal changes, thicker hair. But, I enjoyed having shorter hair and dying it every color of the rainbow so there is that. I do worry a bit about age and long hair as Im going to be 40 next spring. Sigh...

No, the only comments I have ever gotten about my hair is how good it looks long and also how good it looks up.

I do wear my hair up almost all the time, I feel like its more flattering to my face and side benefit protects my hair. I also hate having hair in my face. I do wonder if it ages me or at least looks silly because I dress very casually, younger than I am but not in a fashionable way and I feel like french twists and buns might look silly with jeans and t shirts. But, I keep on putting my hair up because I like it.

Yes 3 kids, 1 of them small. She is 3. I have had a major chop after every child was born so I think there is something to that. But short hair is more maintenance. I cut my hair last time because I felt I was not taking care of it at all, just twisting it back in a hair tie every day. I didnt have time to devote to it. Now that my youngest is 3 I do feel like I have more time to pamper myself and my hair. :)

Hmm... i don't like how I look with my hair down. People tell me I look younger than I am, they can never believe I am 39. But when my hair is down I feel like it drags my face down a bit sometimes.

I would like to continue to have/grow long hair. I guess I will have to see how I feel as I get older and my hair gets longer. :)

My dh loves long hair on women and himself. He loves my hair long.

A good sprinkling on my crown for sure. I like how they look so far.

Way way less. In my twenties I had short hair that required product and blow drying and I also dyed it all the time.

Wanna beer?

No thank you, but if you have a shot of vodka, I can do that. :) I don't like the taste of beer really.

red autumn
October 20th, 2015, 02:51 AM

i'm not a very social person, and i wouldn't be friend with somebody who judges too much my appearence. i think my hair is something one sees about me, more then my eyes or my hands, and the only thing quite beautiful in me, so somebody who would say to me to cut it would be, well, a bit jealous, i think so.

yes i do! it does feel old fashioned to me, ad i like that! i like thinking my hair is an intimate thing, only for family and very close friends. i'm a bit proud about it, too, so i prefer keep it to myself, i don't want to show my hair.

i don't yet, but we hope soon.

i really don't think thirty-so is old, in anyway. my father was still in very good shape at seventy, my mother too, at sixty five. i am not a young lady anymore, but i am a woman, and in her prime, that's true!

i know i will never cut my hair more than bra lenght. i want to let my hair grow, and be very long.

i was a very nervous person when i lost my hair and during the three years it took to grow it back. i feel my hair is short, but i am not nervous about it anymore. i think my husband enjoys that, me letting grow my hair and being more cool about everything.

littlestarface
October 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
guess i belong here too. im in my earlyish 30s, tho i dont act like it and never will act my age, nor do i look like it cuz im tiny girl XD. i still watch cartoons, anime, i love disney movies. i still use temporary tattoos to make it look like i use henna on my hands cuz i cant draw worth crap. i dont know how to drive, i act oh so immature:rolleyes: i like to be alone and just watch 48 hours,dateline, i survived and other stuff about serial killers, paranormal witness, ancient aliens etc..

no one questions me about my hair in my family, ive always had long hair. usually they compliment it especially the little girls in my family.

no im not going to change anything about my hair when i get older, itll still be in braids and being neglected :lol:

i dont have small kids i got big ones tho and i sometimes have them take pics of my hair and comb the back cuz i cannot reach. they also get high things on the shelves for me XD

KwaveT
October 20th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I am 38. I only started growing my hair long starting in February 2011 pre transition. I had short hair in my twenties. I spend way more time on my hair now. I am not married or have children but the Spirit of Lord has told me a spouse and four children are in my future. It is hard to say how others perceive me when I don't know how others are reading me. I get some ma'ams and some sirs. I am sure I am going to eventually hear some of those same long hair attitudes other women get since I am growing hip length hair. I am transgendered five months into transition now. It will be interesting to see how others read me once I can fully pass and present as a woman. I plan to have long hair the rest of my life. I have had enough of short hair.

Robi-Bird
October 20th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Well, no one ever seems to believe I'm 30yrs so I haven't had anyone suggest I should be trendier or more age appropriate.

I wear my hair up at work 100% of the time - requirement of the job. I think I look more professional bunned and because I am a supervisor and many employees are younger than me it helps. It also helps the managers that come to me treat me as more than a kid.

No kids of my own, my nieces are hair fiends but if they are around, I tie it up.

If anything, long hair makes me look even younger, and since I'm not at all old this just means getting IDed.

Maybe, maybe not. I have had hair that might classified as remotely long for 4-5 years total my entire life, two years in my teens and the last couple now. Being able to just comb it up or back is much more convenient than getting it cut all the time. My 60 some year old mother is growing hers out to shoulder for this reason.

No SO and no one but me decides what I do with my appearance.

A dozen, scattered around my temples and ears. I spotted the first in my early twenties.

More than my early twenties. It was less than an inch long up between age 18-25, a short bob from 25-27, etc all I did was cut it, dye it. I can't say I cared about it at all. Most of my twenties involved a severe mental health crisis and I didn't put care into anything until I started getting better.

Wanna beer?

Hate beer but pina coladas, daiquiris, and bellinis are good. I'm more a pop girl.

Mirabele
October 21st, 2015, 04:00 AM
hello all, lovely thread! i will be 40 next month, may i please join for a moment? :)

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? not so much comments. i don't think mine care about hairstyles/hairlength at all. the only one that makes sometimes this type of remarks is my mother. she thinks i should have more "proper" style, and probably cut and curl (i've always had pin straight hair that has no visible volume or shape).

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? i ponytailed for years. like, really, decades. i didn't lovemy hair. i thought it was too thin to wear it down. i hate ponytail. i made decission not to ponytail anymore. now i wear my hair down often and try to learn some braids and buns. i don't think wearing up looks either aging or oldfashion, these things depends more on a face/body/personality/hairstyle than age imo.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? my kids are not small anymore. i found it more challenging when they were small, yes, even if i didn't had long hair at that time. i weared it up anyway so it wasn't that big problem, but i see what you mean.

i don't think long hair makes one look older, quite the opposite in fact. i think it often makes one lok younger, epsecially if the hair is nice and weared down.
i don't look like i am in my twenties anymore, sure, i do look as old as i am, but it has more to do with my face than my hair.

yes. i do think so.

he thinks my hair is nice and long. but he doesn't understand my recent obsession. he thinks i think about that too much. he doesn't believe in hair care a lot, i suspect. i tried to explain and showed my pictures with the same hairlenght now and a year ago, and tried to explain that my hair doesn't get longer without proper care. he kind of thinks long hair is just something that happens. not to me!

leilani
April 7th, 2016, 04:15 AM
How many of you are all natural haircolor wise?

Pol
April 7th, 2016, 04:53 AM

I was wondering this! As you know from the other thread, I'm considering going from henna-cassia to natural and it got me to thinking how few people I think I know who don't colour their hair. I'm 31 and have started to get a few silvers (that I can see) and it's actually made me want to dye my hair less! I think there's a difference between dyeing your hair to just change the colour and dyeing your hair to cover grey, but probably that difference exists only in my head :) Because my henna-cassia mix is currently very light on the henna, it actually doesn't cover the silvers very well (on first application), so they are quite bright against the rest of my head. I think they're quite pretty, but I reserve the right to change my mind as I get more :D

I would add a question onto yours Leilani - of those who do colour your hair, do you do it to cover grey or just to change your natural colour?

Lisa Long4Life
April 7th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Joining in - just spotted this thread :)

What friends? :p Lol, I have a few good friends about the same age, one has WL hair, the other 2 have shoulder length hair and one has short hair. Nobody really comments on my length.

I usually wear it up for work (I'm a teacher), if I take it down to re-bun or something, my students (teenagers) comment that it looks nicer down. I tend to wear plaits out of work. I rarely wear it down, which is weird.

I have a 6 year old boy. He doesn't like cuddling me with my hair in the way :p I'm pretty low maintenance anyway but henna treatments etc have to be done when he's not around (at his dad's or in bed).

No, I usually find people assume I'm in my 20s so at the moment I'm happy to look quite youthful. I'm sure age will catch up with me soon :)

I'll see how things go, I have a habit of getting bored and changing/chopping. I'm aiming for waist length and we'll see after that. Only 2 and a bit years until my 40s! EEK!

He doesn't mind, my hair doesn't take much time/energy/attention. I had shoulder length hair/long bob when we first met but I've told him I intend to grow and he's never been negative about it.

A few in my fringe and the odd one or two in my parting but I've started colouring to hide them now (henna)

Probably more, I grew from bob to about BSL in my 20s and kept it around that length until I had my son (2009, age 31) and chopped it off to a graduated bob.

Wanna beer?
Have you got pear cider? :p

Lisa Long4Life
April 7th, 2016, 09:31 AM

I used to dye dark brown (chemical box dye), but I stopped and I didn't find any greys until I got to 35. I started henna with Light Mountain kits back in September with their Chestnut colour. It wasn't much different to my natural colour.
Last week I henna'd with pure henna but I was going for a burgundy/eggplant as in the cherry cola thread on here. I don't think my hair is dark enough so I have a rust shine but still not much different. I've read that it will get stronger with more applications.

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I would add a question onto yours Leilani - of those who do colour your hair, do you do it to cover grey or just to change your natural colour?

I dye to change my natural color. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 16. Before I went purple it was red, and before that it was black.

dfotw
April 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Hey, I belong here, I turn 32 in a month and a bit! :D

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? Nah, my friends know to leave me alone on the subject. My mum, though, hates my long hair, and has even (jokingly, I hope) threatened to cut it while I sleep.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? Yup, I wear it up 99% of the time, and since I put it up while it's wet, it looks very severe and probably a little aging. I've been looking for ways to give my updos more of a 'poof' (my hair is curly so bangs or face-framing layers are not an option).

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? No children, no pets, no nothing.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? I actually think that when I wear it down/in braids it makes me look younger. Long hair is not unusual here even in women older than 50, so I don't think it 'marks' me one way or the other.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Yessssssssssssssss! I wanted long hair forever,, and salt&pepper/silver long hair looks awesome! Besides, it's much easier to care for, and what would I do with all these hair toys otherwise.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha No SO, no opinion.

How many grays do you have? About 5 or 6, on my temples mostly. I inherited my dad's hair and he went grey on his forties, so I'm waiting for that.

Do you tend to devote more or less time to hair compared to your 20s? In my 20s I dyed, dyed more, and found LHC, so yeah, I've streamlined the processes quite a bit since then.

Wanna beer? Yes please! Hmm, I have a framboise chilling in the fridge... :beerchug:

How many of you are all natural haircolor wise? I have my natural hair colour (dark so brown it might as well be black) plus a few bleached highlights, and I do cassia/henna glosses, but it's basically all my own colour. I'd have to go to extreme lengths to change it, and I can't be bothered.

:D

Lisa Long4Life
April 7th, 2016, 11:55 AM
My mum went grey when she was 17 and my Dad was bald on top by the time he was 30, grey around the sides later on. I'm thankful I lasted until my 30s before I found my first greys.

Totty
April 7th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Just turned 37

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? no, I don't have much age like friends.

I have my moments. I have a young face, I giggle and I can pull it off to go to work with a tutu. I have several facial piercings. On the other hand, I work I a library.

One 1,5 and a 5 yr old. I'm in the shower early in the morning before they're up.

With my long dark curls I just look smoking hot. But it helps that I'm living in an almost white society with a lot of blondes.

I think so

He loves my hair, so he had to deal with some things.

humble_knight
April 7th, 2016, 12:59 PM
1)Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

I've had a few comments about cutting my hair, and from people of a mixture of ages. I usually smile and say, "Nope. I like my hair"

2)Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?
Due to the nature of my work, I can wear my hair up and hide it beneath a scrub hat. Outside of work, I wear it down, or in a ponytail, but I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy hairtoys such as flexi-8s, hair-sticks, etc.

3)Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging?
Not applicable, yet

4)Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?
No-one ever guesses my true age correctly. They mostly guess my age to be 26-28. I've still got a full head of hair, which is possibly seen as being associated with young men.

5)Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?
All being well, yes, I'd like to maintain a long hairstyle. I see it as part of my identity.

6) Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them?
My SO prefers my hair long and with a full beard, too.

lillielil
April 7th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Oh hey!

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? No, I don't have any friends.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? Yes, about 98% of the time. If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? No. Maybe a bit charmingly old-fashioned if I style it that way on purpose.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? I have a 3 year old. He has STRONG OPINIONS about my hair (and about most things) and complains loudly if it is down when I hug him. Every now and then he will take a notion to get in the shower with me and hog all the water, and when that happens I might skip a conditioner because I don't feel like listening to the whining while I rinse it out. He has no other impact on my hair - I don't spend a lot of time on it anyway.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? What? I'm as old as I am. That's it. I'm not worried about looking older or younger, or anything other than myself.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Absolutely. I look forward to having long silver hair.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Not a matter of attention and energy, but she has implied that I should cut it because long hair only belongs on fundamentalist nutjobs. Nice. I think she wishes I would spend more energy maintaining a shorter style.

Beer? Yes, but low ABV, please. I love beer, but do not love its effects.

Greys, natural color? I found my first grey in high school. Now I have several (I would guess 100+) , but scattered all over. I like them. I'm in the process of growing out henna and box dye. I think I have about 3" of virgin color at this point, and another 1 or 2" of close-to-natural color that I only used a semi on.

Do you tend to devote more or less time to hair compared to your 20s? Much less. In my 20s I did pincurls and roller sets, and blowdried just about every day when I didn't do a set. Now I just wash it and put it up.

Phanaferous
April 9th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? Not really.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? It's up a lot; has to be in the lab. I think it makes me look more "serious", librarian-ish at times because I also wear my glasses instead of my contacts at work.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? I had my son when I was 31; he's less little now, but it wasn't an issue really. He has always liked my hair, draping it over his face, playing with my braid, etc. There were the nursling years that could be tricky as he wanted to grab whatever he could while nursing; if I didn't have my hair up he'd wrap his tiny fist in it. Hair wadded into a ball by toddler fingers is not fun. But even last night as I was helping him get his sneakers off (he can do this himself, but Daddy had taken him to the late evening ice skating session and he was dead tired on his feet) he was taking handfuls of my hair and "fluffing" it around. I let him touch it as long as he doesn't purposefully tangle it or pull it.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!) I think skin quality is a better age indicator. I feel like my chronological age lately because I haven't been exercising as I should, but I can use my hair to draw attention to myself when going out, which makes me feel confident and sexy.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Yes. Maybe cut back to waist if I have mobility issues as a senior. My grandma had hair no shorter than BSL until the day she died (she was 89 or 90 then).

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? DH likes it when I wear it down. But he doesn't really play with it or anything, and doesn't comment on my routine.

Beer? I'll take a stout, thanks.

Greys, natural color? I've seen one or two; they got plucked. No dye. When the silvers do come I will probably try henna.

Do you tend to devote more or less time to hair compared to your 20s? Maybe more now since I joined the LHC. But then again, I wash less often, so maybe it's even.

HoD
April 9th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I love 30's! I'm 33 :)

Nope. They comment on how long it has gotten occasionally (long for me, not by lhc standards!)

I wear a braid most of the time but wear it down fairly often. I haven't gotten the hang of buns yet.

I have a 2 yr old son. I always had it up till he was about 18 months and I could teach him not to pull. He does hog the water in the shower so I'm quick. I also use more natural products because his skin is so sensitive that even the rinse spray can give him a rash.

Dunno. I feel more feminine and in my prime.

Probably at least bsl. I find long hair easier. And I love gorgeous flowing Grey! I have a few Grey's now... Started at 31 and I love em. I feel wiser somehow lol

I'm single.

neko_kawaii
April 10th, 2016, 09:24 PM
No dye here.

teela1978
April 10th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Alright, I'll play (just found thread, have not read through yet...). I'm 37 at the moment.

Not often. Sometimes I get a "just dye it already" but more often I get "your hair is gorgeous" so I tend to ignore it. Style-wise... I've been doing long layers lately and I like them. It makes things a little more voluminous and I like that.

My hair kinda goes up and down through the day. Usually up at work. If I put it high enough I think it looks okay, if it's low and tight it does tend to go a bit "mean old lady bun" on me.

I have a dog. This isn't an issue and I suppose mothers of small kids run from their 20s - 40s, seems more suited to it's own thread almost.

I'm like 30-40% gray. It definitely ages me a bit.

maybe? I have no idea.

I don't have an SO... yet another thing not all people in their 30's do...

ETA:
lots. Mostly at my temples, depending on how I part/style my hair it looks much more/less gray.

Less. Way less. I pretty much wash a couple times a week and go. Sometimes I'll dry shampoo and fluff but that's about it.

Wanna beer?
Yes please!

littlestarface
April 11th, 2016, 09:46 PM

im natural tho I do use henna but never box dye nor bleach, but my whites are really showing now as I havent hennad in a very long time. I started to get whites when I was a little girl and now theyre coming on full force. My youngest son whos 18 is like me, he also has whites shining through but my oldest not one white hair and he looks just like me :|

enting
April 13th, 2016, 07:11 AM

It depends on what we consider all natural. I have never dyed my hair, but I do use colored vinegar rinses which give golden-reddish tints to my hair. Any whites I have are still recognizable though, as whites or translucent golds.

teal
April 13th, 2016, 03:06 PM

Not I! Hennaed to saturation. :)

Zebra Fish
July 22nd, 2016, 02:14 AM
Lets play!

No comments here.

Up most of the time. Nope, I just think I look better with it down (on the rare occasions).

No children here.

I really don't care tbh. Apl-bsl is totaly normal around here, so my barely nearing waist is no attraction.

Probably, no plan on cutting here :)

Loves it :) Just would want me to waer it down more often.

Not sure. There are some, but would't really know the percentage.

Hmmm... Less. I discovered lhc (lurking) while in upper half of 20s, so I did my fare share of experimentation then. Now I have a simple routine, sometimes just throw in sth. Comparing to pre-lhc time - a lil bit more, but really after "forming" a routine, not that much time.

Wanna beer?
Something sweeter for me please ;)

Henna, henna, henna!! Once I let it grow out natural and the henna wash out (lush henna) and everybody was asking me why I dyed coz my natural colour (aka henna) suits me better :p

Henni
July 22nd, 2016, 08:35 AM
We deserve a thread too!

Yes we do and I would like to join. :magic:

I haven't thought about this before as I do feel that I'm still quite young and I've seen beautiful hair even in heads of elderly people. I have also been told that thirties are new twenties nowadays.

Nope, even though I do not actually have long hair at the moment, but I am trying to grow. I cut my bsl to sl at spring and now have just shy of apl. I think that over here beautiful hair is just beautiful hair no matter of age or lenght, I think most people just appreciate long hair if it is in good condition. And what could be more mature and stylish than a nice bun?

I do wear it up as it is usually more convenient. I do not think it's ageing or old fashioned as I can show off my stylish earrings ;) Short grandma curls would be more ageing IMHO

I have 2 children and I think short hair is more challenging and time consuming as it has to be styled more often. But what do I know as I had only bsl lenght while having small children in the house

I do think people notice that I'm not in my twenties with any hairstyle.. :D

I also think that I still am in my prime. Should I start feeling old? Why? WHY?

We'll see. I do hope that I would not be forced to have short hair as I don't like the styling part as much. Longer hair is easier as I can just do quick bun and go.

When we met 14yrs ago he had longer hair than I had. And now when he has short one he uses a lot more time and energy to it. So no.

kattmara
July 22nd, 2016, 09:53 AM
1. Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

2.Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?

3. Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable).

4. Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

5. Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?

6. Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha

Hm, can I answer for my SO who is a man? I hope so because here we go (haha! :P ) :

1. It's already a bit uncommon for men to have long hair so there are some comments but very rarely something negative, only once in the past year someone (drunk) said that he needed to shave and cut his hair and I got so annoyed since we where just walking by that I asked if he who said it was jealous since he himself was balding. Actually no one has made the age appropriate comment, not even when he worked with service and security since he puts it in a bun (well, I do). I think this has to do with living in Sweden and I have never heard that certain lengths are for certain ages other than that shorter hair is more practical for small children.

2. He only wears it up when he has to, like at work or sometimes when it's really hot. Or when I want to braid it for fun hahaha

3. We do not have any children but I think that I would like him to keep it since that's what I plan to do if we ever decide to create a small one. We both have a very low maintenance routine so I don't think that there will be any problems.

4. Well it certainly draws attention but he does that with short hair too (height + with, beard, dark eyebrows and other stark features), people tend to think that he is younger than he is but again there is no difference from when he had short hair.

5. We have talked about this since it was my idea that he tries to grow his hair, I got him on the wagon by saying that I myself weren't going to cut my hair for a whole year which he thought sounded nice since all hairdressers he has tried can't make it suit him (they just use a sort of man-template which needs a lot of products) and also that it would be fun to try when he has the chance since a lot of men get thinner hair when older. He doesn't seem to get thinner hair though so I think he will keep it until (if) it gets thin.

6. (Since I'm the SO) I love it! Its BSL (if he would wear a bra ;) ), curly and has a rich brown color that gets lighter towards the ends. The thing is that he wishes I would spend less attention on him his hair since I sometimes want to try out braided looks just for fun when he's up to other things.

Henni
July 22nd, 2016, 11:39 AM
No beer for me, thank you for asking! Glass of red vine would do (just one, more would mean trouble)

I have some whites in my temples, haven't counted them and I henna over them once a month. :) I think some day I will grow my natural hair color, probably with a lot more grays as I love my red.

I did use more time and money for my looks altogether while I was younger. I am getteing lazy. :D

ephemeri
July 22nd, 2016, 03:34 PM
Yaaaayyyyy. I need to join this thread. I'm having an existential crisis about being 35. How many of you are in your 30s but don't feel it? I feel like I stopped ageing at 27. It... it just makes no sense to me that I'm technically 35. I kind of don't like it? It just doesn't feel right!

Nope. Firstly, my hair really isn't that long right now. Secondly, I don't think my friends would care. :D

I have been doing this lately because I feel like APL is an awkward stage for me. I do feel like it makes me look older to wear my hair up. Right now I don't care very much though.

No kiddos yet. But I do wonder how other long hairs tend to little ones with really long hair!

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do ...
Definitely not long enough to answer this I think.

Yes. I have already experienced what a buzz cut was like. I doubt I will feel the need to do that again. And I really am just not a fan of shorter 'dos on older ladies. I think it's a generational thing. IDK ... maybe that will change when I get older. :confused:

This is a funny question. I do think my SO thinks I spend too much time thinking about and tending to my hair. However, he is pretty laid back and understanding. He (thankfully) doesn't have strong opinions about people's appearances so I'm not even sure what he thinks of my hair. Because he loves me either way. Awww...

Approximately 1 million.

More. Much more. And with good reason. If I don't spend some time with my hair, it will look like garbage. (And it did when I was younger, believe me.)

Wanna beer?
Yes. I am actually drinking a delicious beer right now. Huge beer fan here! :beercheer:

Definitely not me. I henndigo.

Love this thread.

littlestarface
July 22nd, 2016, 03:42 PM
Yaaaayyyyy. I need to join this thread. I'm having an existential crisis about being 35. How many of you are in your 30s but don't feel it? I feel like I stopped ageing at 27. It... it just makes no sense to me that I'm technically 35. I kind of don't like it? It just doesn't feel right!

Oh yea, I feel like I stopped aging at 11 hahaha!

kattmara
July 23rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
No kiddos yet. But I do wonder how other long hairs tend to little ones with really long hair!

I know and know of a couple of long hairs with kids and the key is to find a basic routine that is as simple as possible, like just washing and maybe combing/brushing and nothing more for it to look presentable. Benign neglect it is called here on TLHC I think and there should be a thread about it somewhere. Being able to do a quick up-do seems very handy too so that it is out of the way and also teach kids who are old enough to understand that you respect each other and also each others hair, mostly by talking about it and being a good role model who doesn't comb the kids hair to harshly for example. One nice thing that can be an option for some people is when others around you are good with hair so that they can braid it for you or something like that when you are doing other things, like feeding the baby, it is both relaxing and practical. A scalp massage is a good option too if it doesn't make the hair too messy, I have helped a friend with this myself and also making a french braid when the baby fell asleep.

BloomShine18
July 23rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
SO much yes on not feeling 30-something! I turned 35 last month and feel like I've been turning back time with my style. lol

Nah. Mine is shoulder length right now, but even when it was to the small of my back I didn't get many comments one way or another.

When it was long, yes. But that was because I had to maintain 'Army standards.' :-)

I do. 8 and 3. I never really found any other challenges aside from keeping them out of my henna when I was all muddy.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do I don't think so.

Hopefully!

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? He just thinks there's too much stuff in the bathroom.

Dunno. I hide them.

Way more. I actually care now.

Wanna beer?
Absolutely! How about a nice sour ... maybe a hoppy IPA? What do you have local?

Nope. Henna head!

leilani
November 9th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Bump! I need to get active again in this thread because I’m 38 now and only two more years to belong!

GalaMoon
November 9th, 2017, 05:56 AM
I'm loving this thread! I'm 34 and I too have decided to grow my natural color back before I start getting silver hairs. So to answer the questions:
1. My hair does not qualify as long yet so no comments on that. My friends are quite open minded so chances are I would be getting comments from strangers, and those don't matter.
2. I started wearing my hair up almost all the time about a year and a half ago, and I'm addicted to it. I find it practical and I think it looks elegant, can't wait to get enough length to try all the nice buns I found out about on here.
3. I have a 4 year old son and a 2 year old girl. I find longer hair to be more practical with kids, I just put it up and go, less bad hairdays. When I had short hair styling it was so time consuming and it looked oily faster, so I had to wash it often. Sometimes I find it hard to get time for deep moisture treatments.
4. I don't think long or short hair makes someone look older or younger, that depends on many other factors. My mom keeps her hair into a pixie but she looks much better with chin length. If someone does not look good with short hair when younger, that won't change over time since the facial structure will still be the same. I think it's more of finding what suits you and makes you feel comfortable with yourself.

5. That's the plan.
6. The only thing my SO is not a fan of is a buzz cut, other than that he was always supportive of my hair related decisions. He doesn't feel neglected because of my hair, but he thinks I stress myself too much over it and pays me compliments to make me feel better.
Hope I got the order of the answers right.

Dendra
November 9th, 2017, 06:01 AM

I just turned 30 so I belong here! It's cool we have our own thread :)

In answer to your questions:

1) I genuinely did not realise that most people think of long hair as a young persons thing. My hair is only BSL, we'll see if I get any comments at waist but considering most of my friends have had long hair up until recently I doubt it. And they didn't cut because of age! ;)

2) I do wear it up everyday. I think my hair looks more 'done' and chic up, so no struggles so far.

3) No kids.

4) Same answer as question 2.

5) I think I'll be growing my hair for years.

6) SO does not care! He thinks above shoulders is too short and past hip is too long, but he would never complain if I had either of those lengths. He gets what he's given :o

T0n1c
November 9th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Yay for the 30-somethings!
I'm 34, 35 next May. Anyone else feel...I don't know...weird about the mid-30's? Not bad, I'm honest about my age and all that, just..."wow, I'm almost 35". Anywho..on to the questions!

1) I don't really get many comments about the 'age appropriate-ness' of my hair. The only comments I usually get are just after I re-color, then it's "Hey, Red!"

2) I wear it up most of the time. I have NO heat tolerance, so I have to keep it up to stay cool. I wear it down to work a bit more now that the weather here in the Midwest is nice and cool, though it usually ends up getting put up halfway through the day, after I'm tired of it touching my neck/face.
Does wearing it up make me look matronly or old fashioned? Never thought about it, but maybe? I know it makes me look like I've put on about 10 pounds, but I'm already fat-n-happy so I don't care all that much. Having it up accentuates my very very round face; but it's up and out of my way so I don't much care. :-)

3) No small children. Normally I would say that my cats don't affect my routines, except that Dutch spent several minutes last night licking the conditioner out of my hair as I lay in bed! I didn't notice at first, she wasn't moving the hair enough for me to feel the 'pineapple' wiggle, so I had no idea 'till DH said something. I had to switch from the pineapple to a bun to keep her out of my hair. so yes, my cats do affect how I care for my hair! I already know they both love coconut oil, so I can't sleep with that in without a snug bun either. Am planning to try using my satin hair scarf tonight, since I want to oil before bed.

4) I don't know that my hair ages me any, to be honest. I do think that healthy hair (which is what I am striving for) helps make anyone look younger than unhealthy hair in the same length or style, so I do dream of long, shiny locks.

5) I hope to keep growing my hair, no matter how old I am! I want to be one of those women with beautiful, long, grey hair. I met a woman once, (friend of a friend) who was in her 70s and had thick, shiny, absolutely stunning grey hair that was about waist length. I've also seen many grey-haired beauties on LHC, and they are definitely my 'hair inspiration' as I get older! I'm not going grey yet, but when I do, I'm going to embrace it! (Though I may still use henna sometimes, because I love my red hair!)

6) My dear sweet hubby just loves long hair. He's so happy that I am growing it out. I think he might be even more excited than me at the prospect of WL hair! While he is fully in the 'it's your hair, you do what you want' camp, I know his heart broke a little 5 years ago when I chopped it all off for Locks of Love and came out of the salon with a buzz cut! I need to break the news to him that if I get it to my waist, I'm going to need some help caring for it! Gonna have to teach him to braid :-)

Ligeia Noire
November 9th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Joining in too!

Not really, Of course they tease me at times :p but they actually admire the fact that I have never changed, not that there is something wrong in wanting something different, but I am and will always be a long haired person at heart no matter what happens.

I do, my hair is brushing my calves but even when it was bsl I did too, I do not like hair in the way and mine was always too puffy to let down. I love updos, more than down and even more if they look old fashioned, the more old fashioned the better!

I have no kids.

I always thought that long hair makes you look younger as most women cut their hair when they turn 30 or 40, so you do not see many older women with long hair, like it is something reserved for twenty something or teenagers. It all depends in the way you dress and style your hair and most of all, the way you carry yourself. You can give an impression of being old with a short bob if you feel that way inside.

I am always saying this but my mom reached the floor more than once and she is 61 so you know the story :p

He is a veteran so when his hair touches his ears he is already rushing to the barber.... he couldn't care less about hair, sometimes he does seem annoyed when I spend too much time editing my youtube videos or replying to comments but that is all. He actually told me one of these days that he learnt a lot about hair and now notices things on other people's hair that he never did before, he likes my hair but probably wouldn't care if I cut into a curly bob style, my guilty pleasure, he would probably love it as he admires the flappers and all about the 20s up to the 40s fashion, cinema, History and society.

hobbitlocks
November 9th, 2017, 11:01 PM
I turned 30 this year, and I definitely have some feelings about it at times, so it was fun to read through this thread and see everyone elses thoughts....

No! I'm a graduate student, and I think most graduate students are way too self absorbed in their own work to notice such a thing. Plus I play with my hair when it's down, so even when it was short (I kept it between SL and BSL for years before growing longer) I would wear it up most days/in professional situations.

I do wear it up or in a braid most of the time. I don't think it ages me or looks matronly. I recently cut in long bangs, but that was more because I never really liked the shape of my hairline and sort of got tired at my attempt of self acceptance!

I don't have any kids, but I hope to in the next couple years. I plan to keep my hair long because I find it easier, but I do worry about the possibility of hormonal changes or a postpartum shed...

No I don't think so, but since my hair is dark, when I start to get more grays they'll really stand out and I think it will age me unless I dye it, but I'm not sure how much I'll mind. Time will tell!

Maybe? I'm currently really enjoying my long hair and I have for a number of years, but I don't know if I'll keep it forever.

It's funny because I stopped heat styling my hair around the time I moved in with my SO (and then started growing it out after that) so I think if I went back to shorter hair that I styled regularly he would be SHOCKED at the blow drying/curling process! He definitely notices how much time I spend on the hair forum/admiring beautiful hair toys but I found other ways to waste time on the internet before I was a long hair so that's not much of a time difference.

I've never died my hair, not because I have anything against it just that I really like my natural hair color. I haven't decided what to do when I start to gray...

BlueKittyMeow
November 12th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Oooh okay, well I just turned 30 this year so I guess I belong here :P

Not at all. My friends are all queer artists so they really have a live and let live attitude (which is part of why I love them so much!) I look pretty young too so that's probably a factor, but not one has ever suggested I should change my hair - it's been longer my whole life!

I wear it down a lot, tbh. I've been thinking that it's likely not at terminal length lately though - I never trim or cut and it's been mid-back for years so I figured putting it up and preventing mechanical damage might let me grow it longer, so I've had it up basically every day lately. I think it looks great! Again, I look on the younger side. I have no problem with matronly though :P I'm in the library field so I kind of like to play up the stereotype sometimes for fun! Also, I always wear skirts and want to live on a farm and I AM kind of old fashioned in some ways, so I have no worries about that.

I have no kids, but I do have a LOT of pets. I live with seven dogs and many cats and my own personal little dog is a velcro animal and needs to be next to/on top of me at all times. He's really good about not tugging on my hair though. The most dangerous thing I do actually is knitting and spinning and I DO sometimes start to knit or spin it in. Let me tell you, trying to pull strands of your hair back out of the orifice of your spinning wheel when you were on a roll is a painful and frustrating experience!

Nope! I've always had long hair :) I've actually never really cut it, just trimmed and let it hang out around whatever length mechanical damage/terminal length keeps it at. So, I don't see it as old or young.

Yes! I can't really see myself with short hair. I love long hair on older women too, and I think long salt and pepper or white or gray hair will be beautiful.
And now, since I've never cut it, it's really part of my identity. I don't know that I really COULD...

My wife loves my hair! I really wanted her to have hers long too, but she rocks a short bob that looks so fabulous on her which I could never pull off. We've known each other since we were in middle school and she's seen me with the same hair for fifteen years so I would say she is pretty used to it by now!

Alex Lou
November 14th, 2017, 01:00 AM
I feel good about being in my 30s.
https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0zOGE4ZDQ3OGFlZjExODE1_50fa1465a150f.png
It feels kinda weird to think that I'm almost halfway to 40, but I trust that it will feel right when I get there. Age isn't just a number, it's an accumulation of experience.

I wear my hair up most of the time in the same high bun. I think it looks professional for work and I get complements on how pretty it looks. I don't feel matronly at all. Part of being in my 30s, I think, is realizing that I can wear something my grandma would wear and I won't look like an old lady because I'm not one. Whatever I wear, I still look my own age.

I do have a 2 year old and want to have another kid. Whenever I think about cutting my hair short, I think about how I'd have to style my hair daily if it were short. It's so much easier to have long hair. I hardly wash it, I don't always brush it, and it's up in a bun in a couple seconds. Oftentimes I don't even bother to use a pin, let it unravel as it will, and redo it. It is better to have babysitting when I wash my hair because it's hard to rinse my shampoo out when my kid is repeatedly turning the water off or whatever.

A perk of a mature relationship is that I know my husband thinks I'm beautiful in most any state. Hairstyle becomes irrelevant. Although the occasional compliment is nice. We were hiking a while back: My husband was talking to our son and my bun came undone. My husband said, "Then suddenly mommy's hair comes undone artfully, unraveling beautifully." :)

tlatzoteotl
November 14th, 2017, 10:31 AM
My friends, the very few that I have, also have long hair. I can't remember the last time I got a comment from anyone saying that I should cut my hair. My hair is sort of my defining feature.

For the most part, during the day, yes. I used to do a half-up style all the time, but now I mostly wear buns. Although sometimes I do a half-up bun. In any case, if I don't wear my hair up it falls in my face, in my food, etc.

Yes, and not anymore. I did cut my hair a few times over the past several years when I had toddlers who wanted to be carried around a lot. Their feet would pull on my hair (and they also liked to put their feet behind my back when we were sitting down for some reason). Now they're 5 and 9, so it's not really an issue. It wasn't what other people consider short, but it was short to me. The shortest I've gone is shoulder length.

I don't think my hair makes me look any older or younger. I'm 38 and told I look about 10 years younger than that, but it's because of my face, not my hair.

I can't see ever cutting my hair as a senior. I will keep it long for as long as I have my wits about me.

My husbands really, really loves my hair long. And, I feel like a shorter haircut would be more complicated, not simpler. My hair is simply impossible to deal with if it's not long. It's like it has a mind of its own.

Dendra
November 14th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I feel good about being in my 30s.
https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0zOGE4ZDQ3OGFlZjExODE1_50fa1465a150f.png

This is soooo true! I feel like I'm the same person I was when I was 19 but if I look back on diaries from that age I'm like no, I was annoying.

Corvana
December 24th, 2017, 03:22 AM
I just aged into this thread muahahaha.

Nope! In fact my closest friend keeps her own hair in the WL to HL range.

Also a nope, and I'm unlikely to do so until I consider my hair incredibly long. But even so, not really.

My son is 8, so this doesn't apply too much. My roommate/above mentioned friend does have 9 month old, though, who I help care for. She LOVES to grab hair and no one is a fan lol.

No idea! Previously my long hair made me appear younger, and when I had my pixie I finally stopped being asked if I was 16 and if my husband was my father. Granted that was still like 4 years ago lol.

Only time will tell!

He loves long hair! He doesn't particularly care how I have it, though, as it's my hair and not his. But if he had the choice he'd choose long. And he lets me know that by spoiling me just a little extra when it comes to long hair stuff lol.

Milady_DeWinter
December 24th, 2017, 05:16 AM
I'm in!! I'll be 32 in Aphril :)

Not really, in fact my friends use to compliment my hair. But I've never growed it more than hip, and it was years ago: now that I'm almost 32, we'll see when I'll start to hit hip /BC...

Nop, about 50/50 of the time as I don't really like how I look with my hair up. But it's ok for being at home, studing, working... If I go out, I mostly wear my hair down.

No kids, but my bf have 2, so they are at home 1/3 of time. They are 7 and 8, so there's no problem. Plus they love my long hair! :D

I really don't care... In any case, I look way younger than I am (25 at most, as I've been told, sometimes they didn't even wanted to sold me alcohol!). I like my hair long, age isn't an impediment to me.

Yep.

He isn't a fan of long hair but doesn't really care about it, after all he kind of likes it :) I think that he rather me to have very long hair than a very short hairstyle. But he knoes that it's up to me, and he totally respect it :)

angel-baby
May 8th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Reviving this threat bc I was feeling some type of way about starting to grow long all over again at 35. I remember being 25 with waist length hair and being certain I'd be at knee by now.

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? No, I'm pretty young looking (most ppl think I'm 24-27) and I live in an area where it's common to see waist length or longer on women who are in their 30s or older, even if it means using wigs or extensions to get there. Actually, I love the super long wigs and extensions!!

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? I wear my hair braided or in a claw clip most of the time. Some of my fav braids are Boxer braids (double Dutch braids) or bubble braid pigtails, so...no, I don't think it makes me look old, lol. I also like to do a Pamela Anderson-style updo with a claw clip. My hair doesn't really look good in buns until its at waist or longer.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? I don't have kids and I don't want them

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? Who wrote these questions?! I'm 35, ffs, not 85. I'm still young. And honestly the whole Y2K style revival happening right now makes me happy, bc like...Im still young and can enjoy it again the second time around. I have friends in their 40s and 50s who are rocking the same fits I and my friends in their 20s and 30s are wearing, and wearing thigh length butterfly locs and tailbone length weaves. There's no age limit on hair or fashion.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Yea, I've learned my lesson about messing around too much with my hair. I got that all out of my system in my 20s lmao.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? My bf says he likes my hair best at midback but thats only bc he's never seen it longer! He actually loves my lil wash day routine bc it makes me happy.

Bat
May 9th, 2023, 12:10 AM
I turned 38 today! Still bleached my hair almost pure white but don't think I'll do it again so I guess I'm back to growing out while I decide if I'll keep up with the bleach

Bat
May 9th, 2023, 12:19 AM

Nope my friend is very accepting if someone told me that I'd tell them not to let the door hit their butt on the way out.

Too short to tell!

I don't like kids so nope

I'm not a lady but my greys made me feel old though I still look about late 20s ( people seem to double take when I say my age

Unlikely lmao it's a miracle I have hair

Single so can't say but they, will have to deal with it if I actually ever decided to date anyone

Ylva
May 9th, 2023, 04:58 AM
I turned 38 today! Still bleached my hair almost pure white but don't think I'll do it again so I guess I'm back to growing out while I decide if I'll keep up with the bleach

Happy birthday, Bat! :cheese:

Reviving this threat bc I was feeling some type of way about starting to grow long all over again at 35.

Thanks for reviving it! I didn't even know/remember there was such a thread.

I'll be turning 30 in just over a month. :couch:

cookies
May 9th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Happy birthday Bat! Wishing you lots of hair growth :D
Ylva don’t worry about it, 30s is sooo much better than 20s :lol:

I’ll be 33 this summer, yay!
My hair is what I get the most compliments on (appearance-wise), so what my friends mostly say is “omg it looks even better than last time I’m so jealous” :lol: (it’s funny because I do love my hair, but of course I also see lots of damage and coloring mishaps that others don’t seem to notice much)

I only wear it up at home or on very hot summer days. Definitely not because I look “matronly” looool, more because I’m used to it and when my hair is up, my face feels “naked” (partially why I’ll be getting some face framing layers soon, I want to wear my hair up more for protection and practicality)
I’m a pets type of person, the only very minor issue is that between me, the cat and the dog there’s lots of hair everywhere

I wish 😅 I do look like I’m in my mid twenties and I kinda wish I didn’t, so I’m pretty excited about the sparkly whites that have been coming out these past few months. On another note, as I was testing out some bangs looks, a friend noted they make me look even younger, which is on the cons list for me.

No clue, too soon to tell. I can confidently say I’ll never use a chemical dye ever again though.

What?? How much time and energy do you spend on your hair for that to be an issue lol
My DH loves my hair and has said that’s what attracted him the most when we first met, no complaints there

angel-baby
May 9th, 2023, 01:47 PM

Happy bday!!

vampyyri
May 9th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Happy birthday Bat! :D

No, no one gives a rat's you know what :lol: plus those don't sound like "friends" I would want anyway.

Nope, I wear my hair down quite a bit actually. I'm really enjoying my texture so I either keep it down or up in a bun if it starts getting in the way. I have bangs and face framing pieces, so it doesn't look harshly pulled back when it is up.

Nope, I detest children :lol:

Nope, people don't even believe I'm my age. I got mistaken for a gen z-er by my new boss :p

Who knows? I do prefer having longer hair, but do we ever know what we're going to like in 10-20 years?

DH loves me for me, so... no? He isn't so shallow that he would mull over something so trivial.

Zero, my mom never had a gray when she passed at 58, and my dad didn't start getting grays until he was in his late 60s.

Less for sure. I used to dye it an auburn red pretty consistently and went through the bleaching/toning and growing out stage to get back to my natural color. That was a lot of work. Nowadays, not so much. I just wash it lol

Natural with some very faded out deposit only dye on my underlayer that you really have to squint to look for it.

Bat
May 9th, 2023, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone!

rosenester
May 9th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Happy Birthday, Bat! :cake: :face:

I had NO IDEA about this thread! I’ll be following Bat and turning 38 in a month. Enjoyed reading through these most recent answers. Thanks for reviving (I think that thanks goes to angel-baby?)

LOL I guess I’ve had plenty of pixie, shag, baby bangs, bobs, all of it. My friends give unsolicited compliments especially recently since I’ve been taking good care of it for a few years. Especially comments about how long it is, and it’s been this long in the past just much rattier! When I complain about the bleached ends to my family they hint I could just cut them, but they only marvel and compliment my hair as well otherwise.

I wear mine loose when the whether permits (not too hot or windy) and wear it in a single braid, double braids, low bun or high bun. At first the bun at the nape made me feel ‘matronly looking’ but I have bangs and face framing and a while unkept look so I snapped out of that idea. I am just me, whether it’s in a bun or not :wink:

No children, and plan to keep it that way

This is partly why I stopped fully bleaching and fashion coloring my hair, it finally drew attention to my aging face, the colors didn’t do any favors. However, the length?? No way! Totally makes me feel healthy and beautiful, frames my features and makes me feel like I’m in my prime. Silly question.

Who knows! I have about 2 years of growing out bleach, 2 years before 40, and I’ve been so focused on virgin HL hair, I hope I keep it, but I change my mind all the time, it’s a wonder I still have WL currently.

LOL ‘more attention and energy on them’. No to that, but we met when I had between pixie-bob length and I think that my partner secretly prefers that look, but also randomly compliments my hair. Now that I don’t color it, I spend much less time on it. If I’m doing a treament I just make a warning that I am having a spa day and maybe use our tiny bathroom now before I take it over for an hour.

Vampirii found more questions I didn’t see in the first post, so I’ll answer those too!
I have some whites sprinkled throughout, just in the last 10 days 2 shed hairs were completely white down to the couple inches on bleach on the bottom!

Probably less because I don’t bleach and color anymore, I was constantly cutting it in my 20’s as well because I kept it above chin and was always DIY trimming

Working towards this! Hopefully by 40

Bat
May 9th, 2023, 07:46 PM
Thank you!

Hellebore
May 9th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Oh how fun!

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say? Not really. My mom is trying the positivity route and tells me that I look great with short hair. She is correct, but this has been my project and I am enjoying the process. The usual comment I get from people is "holy [expletive] your hair is long." Which is funny since I'm only HL.

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you? I wear buns daily and it is honestly not flattering on me. If I wear literally any other style (long and loose, braids, etc) I get way more positive attention than with the buns. The buns are more practical, especially for all of the activities I do, so I enjoy my buns and don't worry about being attractive.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable). I have dogs. I have learned the hard way that one of my dogs likes to jump up and pull on my hair. I wear my hair up around her now.

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...? Eh, I don't really know the answer to this question.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years? Yep. Going for longhaired crone witch.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha. My husband grew his hair enviously fast during the first four years of our relationship. He went from buzz cut to tailbone and it still makes me mad to think about how quick he was able to do that (he has very nice, thick, durable hair). I remember having to braid his hair because he refused to learn, and dealing with the shower drain when he would shed an lb of hair and just leave it there. All of this to say...husband has to deal with my long hair because I dealt with his ;).

A smattering. I henna my hair and the grays shine like copper against my darker hair.

About the same. When I was younger I cut my hair every six weeks and did a lot of blow-drying and styling. Now I do a lot of detangling, oiling, conditioning, and protective styles.

I hate my natural color (medium red brown). I dyed it black for years and then switched to NightBlooming Enyo. I like my "enhanced" red hair a lot more than my natural red hair.

Shorty89
May 10th, 2023, 09:41 AM

I don't. My friends are used to me having long hair now. Plus, most of my friends are parents so they're not too concerned with keeping up with anything other than their kids.

My everyday buns sometimes look unflattering but I'm not super concerned since no one is seeing it. I think it's mostly my baby face that makes me look young and buns don't change it that much. I suppose a super fancy, trendy cut might make me look a different age - I'm not sure if it would make me look older or younger though.

No kids at this point.

I've been wearing buns since my 20's so I'm not sure if there's that much of a difference for me. I've never been particularly fashionable, even in my 20's. I think it's just part of me. Bangs can make me look younger but they're a pain.

I hope to but it will likely depend on what sort of thinning, greying etc. I get. I know my mom (in her late 60's) has courser and thinner hair than when she was younger. There may come a point when I want it cut short but for now, I'm still loving long hair.

I'm currently single and my cat doesn't care about my hair.

angel-baby
May 10th, 2023, 11:45 AM
I was telling a friend at work that I'm growing my hair out to classic length, and she asked how old I am. I told her 35 and she goes "Girl!! I thought you were 26. So you're going to be 40 with hair down to your butt?"

Like...I'm going to be 40 either way, might as well have the hair I want!! I'm not going to stop pole dancing, wearing cute outfits, working in a wine bar (serving/bartending also being something you're supposed to age out of, according to some), or generally living my best life. Why would I stop growing and taking care of my hair?

Bat
May 10th, 2023, 05:13 PM
I was telling a friend at work that I'm growing my hair out to classic length, and she asked how old I am. I told her 35 and she goes "Girl!! I thought you were 26. So you're going to be 40 with hair down to your butt?"

Like...I'm going to be 40 either way, might as well have the hair I want!! I'm not going to stop pole dancing, wearing cute outfits, working in a wine bar (serving/bartending also being something you're supposed to age out of, according to some), or generally living my best life. Why would I stop growing and taking care of my hair?

That's funny it's like 40 is super old and long hair is prohibited

Ylva
May 11th, 2023, 05:35 AM
Ylva don’t worry about it, 30s is sooo much better than 20s :lol:

In my mid-20s, I was still super anxious about 30, but the closer I get now, the more excited I am because things really seem to be looking brighter over on that side. :D

o_O That's an absurd attitude, completely beyond me. Glad to hear you're not letting such affect you.