PDA

View Full Version : Sailormoon hair, anyone?

Messyhair
July 6th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have any tried and true methods or suggestions on how to achieve those cute lil' Sailormoon meatballs in your hair? My hair is around collarbone-length, so it may be too short, but I'd like an idea on how to achieve it when it gets longer. Any thoughts?

I have seen this: http://weheartit.com/entry/133186112 but I can't figure out how step 4 is round the elastic?!

Nique1202
July 6th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Does anyone have any tried and true methods or suggestions on how to achieve those cute lil' Sailormoon meatballs in your hair? My hair is around collarbone-length, so it may be too short, but I'd like an idea on how to achieve it when it gets longer. Any thoughts?

I have seen this: http://weheartit.com/entry/133186112 but I can't figure out how step 4 is round the elastic?!

I think step 4 just means tie the knot and tighten it low, so that it ends up around the elastic/as close to the head as possible. It's something you have to do in knitting and sewing a lot. I can take a quick video to demonstrate if it still doesn't make sense.

I'm more concerned with how that image has been floating around the internet for 5 years (at least, the earliest posting I can find is a DeviantArt (http://miyako-tyan.deviantart.com/art/Odango-s-secret-188006244) with a partial name match to the watermark in the photo) and never come to my attention. :laugh: If I'd known this could look so good as the sample images linked to there, I might never have cut to pixie in the first place!

Night_Kitten
July 7th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I think Nique1202 is right - you make a knot and try to put it as close to the base of the ponytail as you can, so that it ends up sitting around the elastic, then wrap the rest around the knot

When I tried that style however, I didn't divide each ponytail in half (as my hair is on the lower side of ii dividing the ponytail would leave me with a very puny looking result), instead I started like I start a cinnamon bun, then after a twist and a half - two twists (when I got a more or less round shape) I put another elastic band to secure it and left the remaining of the tail to hang loose... The "tail" was shorter as part of the length was used up to do the bun, and it wasn't exactly the same look, but it looked better on my hair than if I had divided it...
That will only work on longer hair though, as you need enough length to make the cinnabuns and have some left for the hanging tails...

laceyfairy
July 7th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Well I guess there's no harm in trying. I don't have the right bangs but here's my attempt featuring braidwaves from sleeping.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/2af482f797bd096e4bba35633859870e/tumblr_nr4cosgL8U1rnf2ifo1_1280.jpg
(sorry if the sizing is obnoxious)
With my i/ii hair I'd say it's kinda underwhelming

missrandie
July 7th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Hmm... do you think that one could make mini baby sock buns on those sections to beef them up a bit?

Breanna
July 7th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I have been wondering this for AGES. I never thought of dividing the ponytails, which definitely doesnt eat up the length like tying the entire ponytail in a knot would. But I can never get how to make the meatballs rest on top of the ponytail indtead of the ponytail sticking straight out of it?

kittenface
July 7th, 2015, 08:23 AM
laceyfairy, that looks SO CUTE, even if it doesn't look exactly like Usagi's anime hair - kind of like a more subtle, casual version. I'll definitely have to try that!

But yeah, I imagine unless your hair is super thick, hair donuts or similar is the way to go.

laceyfairy
July 7th, 2015, 09:13 AM
laceyfairy, that looks SO CUTE, even if it doesn't look exactly like Usagi's anime hair - kind of like a more subtle, casual version. I'll definitely have to try that!

But yeah, I imagine unless your hair is super thick, hair donuts or similar is the way to go.

Thanks! My hair is too thin for her look I think. I would probably split the pig tail and do hair donuts with one half and leave the other half out from underneath.

cat11
July 8th, 2015, 08:55 AM
This is a topic I'm quite fond of.

You make them by tying two knot buns and leaving the tails out, aka comet buns. CBL is definately too short :( on my 1 or 2 inches from waist length hair, when I tie the knots ( which make the odango) my tails don't even reach my shoulders yet. You'd have to have about calf length hair, depending on your thickness, to get them to go to your knees like sailor moon.

cat11
July 8th, 2015, 09:00 AM
You could try LWB ponies for a similar look though on shorter hair. I'd just use a bigger section for the bun than the tail if you have thinner hair and are worried about the bun not being big enough.

Nique1202
July 8th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I have been wondering this for AGES. I never thought of dividing the ponytails, which definitely doesnt eat up the length like tying the entire ponytail in a knot would. But I can never get how to make the meatballs rest on top of the ponytail indtead of the ponytail sticking straight out of it?

I think the knot at the base is only to cover up the elastics. After that, you make a regular cinnabun and pin it into shape. It should still rest on top of the other half of the ponytail.

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
What an adorable hairstyle! :crush: Love it! :D

You could try LWB ponies for a similar look though on shorter hair. I'd just use a bigger section for the bun than the tail if you have thinner hair and are worried about the bun not being big enough.

Yes, I agree, LWB ponies would work well on shorter hair. :agree:

And if the hair is long enough and you want to make the buns and the ponies beefier, then knot-ponies/pigtails work nicely, too - demonstrated here by LauraLongLocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBg72CxpZ9g
Smaller donuts or children's socks rolled up can help thicken up the buns, if needed, for that Sailormoon look.

lapushka
July 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
2 knot buns should do it, but you need looong hair for it!

Ackvelina
July 8th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I did a Sailor Moon/manga inspired updo on my daughter once, Not really like the original but it's kawaii enough if your hair is too short. You make two parandis (check the "show me your parandi"-thread for more info) of three (or more) wide satin ribbons. they should be at least a meter/40 inches long. Make a swallow tail cut on the ends for a nicer look. Put your hair up in two ponytails on top of your head, then braid the hair with the parandi, braid about half of the parandi, but dont stop untill all you hair is in the braid. Tie off and make a cinnemon bun of the braided part, pin it up and let the loose ribbons fall down your back from under the bun. You can use leftower ribbons to make cute bows around the buns.

AnqeIicDemise
July 9th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Yes, yes I have. :D Let me see if I can dig up the video for it.

[ten minutes later]

Okay, I can't find the video where they used the exact technique on that poster but it is achievable. I got some pretty nice buns out of them. The tricky part was winding the hair in such a way that the buns would be more Sailor Moonish versus Chibi Usa.

This version is pretty good for shorter hair too. (I don't tease my hair either, I just use the length for volume)

Modified Odango (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPSsmR84fE)

This one is a good alternative.

This one is the easiest one I have found. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQfp1GkKzVg)

ETA: To get my hair to lay flat, I did the knot around the base like in the poster and then folded the first wrap *around* the pony to pin the length down versus having it stick out like a handle bar.

I hope that made sense? If Not I'd be more than happy to make a pictorial/video.

Night_Kitten
July 9th, 2015, 08:15 AM
That looks very cute laceyfairy :)
I'm thinking of maybe trying to do this for going out tomorrow, if I don't chicken out, I'll post a pic of how it turned out :)

Night_Kitten
July 11th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I ended up trying it, turned out really cute :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18086&d=1436619485
I did 2 ponytails, then put each in a knot bun, secured with an elastic (to make the loose parts / tails "emerge" from beneath the bun rather than the center). The tails look like they have some volume because I just took my hair down from my sleep-in braid...
That version sure is a length-eating one, I'd say one's hair would have to be at least lower calf to have the tails hanging down to the knees like Usagi's... Maybe one day :meditate:

laceyfairy
July 11th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Night_kitten, your hair looks lovely! Knot buns seem like the way to go if you don't want to do a sock bun-type thing

Wildcat Diva
July 11th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Whoa! That IS cute!

Gaelic Girl
July 11th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Looks fantastic on you, Night_kitten! :)

cat11
July 11th, 2015, 11:02 AM
very cute!!! I wanted to experiment with the LWB version but it was like when I went to make a pigtail out of it I forgot how to make a LWB pony... it was weird how muchthe slightly different position messed me up. And then once I did a regular LWB pony to try to remember exactly what I do I got distracted and it never happened. Maybe Later...