PDA

View Full Version : did a BIG chop and having mixed feeling

Caraid♫
July 6th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Maybe it was a matter of time- these past months I've been clearly itching for change, it started with a trim, then bangs, and now, this! I lopped off my almost TBL hair to APL ish!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18046&d=1436216764

I have very mixed feelings. The truth of the matter is that I couldn't deny any longer that I didn't feel my hair was flattering worn down as much as I wanted it to be and having this feeling was cramping my style and confidence. Maybe it's a height proportions thing? I am on the shorter side with especially shorter legs. I feel it looks a million times better down at this length on me and I know it will hold pin curls again which I love!

On the negative side, my hair was in the best condition it's ever been (from years now of diligent care!), the ends were thick, and definitely did not need a chop for the sake of it's condition. So this is where the regrets might be coming in- I basically chopped perfectly fine hair off. Also, I have many hair toys that might not fit any more that I'm rather attached too....

I can't decide if I'm happy or not yet!

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM
You still have wonderful, long hair :) So, don't be sad. Be happy! :)
I don't think it was a wrong decision. Sometimes too long hair looks ridiculous and, as you said, no more flattering on short, petite people and if you felt like this, I'm sure it didn't look as flattering as it does now. Enjoy it! You look gorgeous! :)

ellen732
July 6th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I think it looks great! I too where my hair shorter than I used to just because I missed wearing it down.

wilderwein
July 6th, 2015, 03:33 PM
You look pretty with tbl hair and apl-ish hair!!! As about the regret, dont worry, by the time you'll deside about if you really wanted to do that, your hair will have grown again!
I was and I'll always be a fan of your hair! And I'm sure you'll find a way to make a good use of this hair toys at that length too :flowers:

lapushka
July 6th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I think it looks amazing. Besides, it looks more towards BSL than APL on the picture, so you didn't take that much length, if that's any consolation to you. :) Enjoy the shorter length and the more you enjoy it and let it go, the more it will grow back again.

hannabiss
July 6th, 2015, 03:39 PM
It definitely still looks long and flattering. And you can always grow it again which is the best part.

meteor
July 6th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Your hair is so incredibly gorgeous, Caraid! :thud: TBL or APL, it's stunning! I hope you'll feel happy with your recent haircut! :blossom: It looks amazing! :applause

missblueeyes
July 6th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I can see why you're a little down about having chopped off completely fine hair but the thing is, it's just hair, it'll grow again. Now that you know how to properly care for it, it'll be much easier for you to get back to TBL than it was pre LHC, should you ever decide to grow again. I'd say keep the hair toys. I sold some really nice ones when I was on a whim of cutting (amongst other things) and I sometimes regret it a bit. You can still rehome them in a year from now if you should feel like it.

Caraid♫
Thank you all so much! you really are making me feel better about it :blossom:
It's true, in reality it still is fairly long- When you get so used to have hair below the waist, a chop like this feels as though I may have well have cut to pixie length! Which is silly of me, it's not even as drastic as I'm making it out to be and after a few days I'll probably be able to see this more clearly.

Deborah
It looks wonderful! Good choice!

Caraid♫
July 6th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I can see why you're a little down about having chopped off completely fine hair but the thing is, it's just hair, it'll grow again. Now that you know how to properly care for it, it'll be much easier for you to get back to TBL than it was pre LHC, should you ever decide to grow again. I'd say keep the hair toys. I sold some really nice ones when I was on a whim of cutting (amongst other things) and I sometimes regret it a bit. You can still rehome them in a year from now if you should feel like it.
Thank you! I think you're right- I was considering selling some for a brief moment but I think I will hang on to them for a bit! I havn't even had time to experiment yet to see if I can work some magic to make the bigger ones work for me still :)

Lucy Elizabeth
July 6th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Your hair is so pretty! It looks past apl to me, but i'm weird haha!

At least you didn't go SUPER short haha! Your hair right now is still long enough to do lots of things with it :) And the best thing is it will grow back before you know it :flower:

woodswanderer
July 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Your hair still looks long and very pretty. :o You've got me somewhat pondering if I should cut back to hip. It must be nice to not have the wind as your enemy anymore.

memeow
July 6th, 2015, 04:52 PM
The length you cut to is probably the length I'll chop back to someday. That "just-shy-of-BSL" length is long enough to have the flowing, feminine effect of long hair, but short enough that wearing it down isn't a hassle and it doesn't overwhelm your face or overall style. I think it's a really flattering cut and your hair looks superb. Plus you still have all the benefits of being able to put it up when you want it out of your face! Even if you decide to grow it out again, I hope you're able to enjoy it as it grows--that cut should be a lot of fun!

LongCurlyTress
July 6th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Well my Dearest Caraid,

Your thick hair looks gorgeous no matter what the length is! I love it at this length! I totally get it about not being able to wear it down, and the increased tangling and resultant shedding is really scary at a few inches from TBL for me. I was just looking at my length all brushed out and am noticing alot of shredding the whole length down. :( Just trimmed off an inch last week and that calmed down the tangling and shedding but I am thinking classic might be too hard for this curly 3b girl. Anyways, your hair looks pretty and very healthy at this new length. Hugs! It will grow back if you want it to. ;) Have fun with your new length. ;)

momschicklets
July 6th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I think its absolutely beautiful and perfect! Just stunning...and you can do so much with it now and maybe even enjoy it more :blossom::blossom:

Dragon Faery
July 6th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Wow, you have amazing hair at any length! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you and your hair that was anything less than stunning. Enjoy rediscovering the shorter long lengths, and I hope you find that sweet spot that makes you the happiest! :blossom:

spidermom
July 6th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I like it! Enjoy!

Caraid♫
July 6th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Thank you all again so much!

Your hair still looks long and very pretty. :o You've got me somewhat pondering if I should cut back to hip. It must be nice to not have the wind as your enemy anymore.
Yes!! Having it down outside when it's past waist can be really agitating and stressful!

Well my Dearest Caraid,

Your thick hair looks gorgeous no matter what the length is! I love it at this length! I totally get it about not being able to wear it down, and the increased tangling and resultant shedding is really scary at a few inches from TBL for me. I was just looking at my length all brushed out and am noticing alot of shredding the whole length down. :( Just trimmed off an inch last week and that calmed down the tangling and shedding but I am thinking classic might be too hard for this curly 3b girl. Anyways, your hair looks pretty and very healthy at this new length. Hugs! It will grow back if you want it to. ;) Have fun with your new length. ;)
this is so sweet LCT, thank you!! :o You could always try classic out and cut it back if it's too difficult. The only thing is once you get there, it can be hard to cut it without being reluctant (as I was experiencing!) But you'll figure your perfect length! :D

I think its absolutely beautiful and perfect! Just stunning...and you can do so much with it now and maybe even enjoy it more
Thank you so much, I think I will really be able to enjoy this length!

The length you cut to is probably the length I'll chop back to someday. That "just-shy-of-BSL" length is long enough to have the flowing, feminine effect of long hair, but short enough that wearing it down isn't a hassle and it doesn't overwhelm your face or overall style. I think it's a really flattering cut and your hair looks superb. Plus you still have all the benefits of being able to put it up when you want it out of your face! Even if you decide to grow it out again, I hope you're able to enjoy it as it grows--that cut should be a lot of fun!
Thank you memeow! It's definitely a versatile length to settle on if someday you decide super-long hair isn't for you! (like you say, still long enough to do things with) :)

Your hair is so pretty! It looks past apl to me, but i'm weird haha!

At least you didn't go SUPER short haha! Your hair right now is still long enough to do lots of things with it :) And the best thing is it will grow back before you know it /QUOTE]
Ya, I think you're right, more BSL :) I can't seem to control myself these days- at this rate I might be posting a pixie cut by next week! :p
[QUOTE=Dragon Faery;3041802]Wow, you have amazing hair at any length! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you and your hair that was anything less than stunning. Enjoy rediscovering the shorter long lengths, and I hope you find that sweet spot that makes you the happiest!
That is so kind of you to say, thank you!!

I like it! Enjoy!
thanks spidermom!!

Caraid♫
July 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM
You still have wonderful, long hair :) So, don't be sad. Be happy! :)
I don't think it was a wrong decision. Sometimes too long hair looks ridiculous and, as you said, no more flattering on short, petite people and if you felt like this, I'm sure it didn't look as flattering as it does now. Enjoy it! You look gorgeous! :)
Thanks Wusel, I am going to try and enjoy the length rather than regret!

I think it looks great! I too where my hair shorter than I used to just because I missed wearing it down.
Thank you! I'm so glad you can enjoy wearing it down again :D

You look pretty with tbl hair and apl-ish hair!!! As about the regret, dont worry, by the time you'll deside about if you really wanted to do that, your hair will have grown again!
I was and I'll always be a fan of your hair! And I'm sure you'll find a way to make a good use of this hair toys at that length too :flowers:
Thank wilderwein! I'm going to start experimenting with my hairtoys and hopefully can make them work

I think it looks amazing. Besides, it looks more towards BSL than APL on the picture, so you didn't take that much length, if that's any consolation to you. :) Enjoy the shorter length and the more you enjoy it and let it go, the more it will grow back again.
Thank you lapushka, it definitely is consolation :) I think you're so right about just letting it go and enjoying!

It definitely still looks long and flattering. And you can always grow it again which is the best part.
It's so true, thank you hannabis!

Your hair is so incredibly gorgeous, Caraid! :thud: TBL or APL, it's stunning! I hope you'll feel happy with your recent haircut! :blossom: It looks amazing! :applause
Thank so much, I think I will be happy about it!

It looks wonderful! Good choice!

Thank you!

HintOfMint
July 6th, 2015, 11:25 PM
First, your hair looks absolutely lovely at this length.

Second, it looks to be more BSL than APL.

Third, I completely understand just wanting a change and wanting something that suits your style more. Most of the time I like my hair, but sometimes I just want something that's less frickin'... natural looking. I start looking into keratin treatments (apparently my hair texture is a prime candidate for such a process), shorter haircuts, whatever it takes to make me look less like a hippie.

flickm
July 6th, 2015, 11:45 PM
You are you, not your hair. And it still looks really long and thick and beautiful - and longer than APL. The thing is, I dont think very long hair necessarily looks flattering - sometimes it just looks like a figure obscuring cloak, especially on shorter people. That length you have now (and if that's APL I'm going to go away and mope, because my regretted chop has now reached just past APL and is quite a bit shorter than yours) really looks great on you. Enjoy it, and meanwhile it will never stop growing :)

YvetteVarie
July 7th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Your hair looks great at this length. And that length is a very nice BSL, which looks good on you. Enjoy your current length, and it won't take as long to get back to TBL

Lady Mary
July 7th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Well, you look wonderful, truly what a pretty face as well! It still looks quite long on you and of course, it will grow back over time. Just enjoy a different set of styles while you decide what length you prefer.

Caraid♫
July 7th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Good news- all of my hair toys still work and don't even look too large! (as long as I kind of go for a flatter, but spread out bun) I guess the bulk of the bun lies in the thick hair at the nape so I didn't lose too much bun volume. Also, french twists were impossible past waist, but now they work really well with my forks, so I'm quite happy about that!

First, your hair looks absolutely lovely at this length.

Second, it looks to be more BSL than APL.

Third, I completely understand just wanting a change and wanting something that suits your style more. Most of the time I like my hair, but sometimes I just want something that's less frickin'... natural looking. I start looking into keratin treatments (apparently my hair texture is a prime candidate for such a process), shorter haircuts, whatever it takes to make me look less like a hippie.
Exactly! I don't mind the hippie look or a more natural look of course, but it really wan't fitting with the rest of my personal style! Thank you :)

You are you, not your hair. And it still looks really long and thick and beautiful - and longer than APL. The thing is, I dont think very long hair necessarily looks flattering - sometimes it just looks like a figure obscuring cloak, especially on shorter people. That length you have now (and if that's APL I'm going to go away and mope, because my regretted chop has now reached just past APL and is quite a bit shorter than yours) really looks great on you. Enjoy it, and meanwhile it will never stop growing :)
don't worry, I think I mislabelled it, it's definitely BSL now not APL! thank you so much!

Your hair looks great at this length. And that length is a very nice BSL, which looks good on you. Enjoy your current length, and it won't take as long to get back to TBL
Thank you! Yes I have a feeling now it will grow super quick the moment I've decided to stop growing!

Well, you look wonderful, truly what a pretty face as well! It still looks quite long on you and of course, it will grow back over time. Just enjoy a different set of styles while you decide what length you prefer.
Thank you so much for the sweet compliment Lady Mary!

turtlelover
July 7th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I love it! I think that is a great length for your face shape. Very pretty and feminine!

Saige
July 8th, 2015, 02:41 AM
I think that length and style really suits you! I have days where I want to cut, too, so I know what you mean about wanting something new. There's no point having long hair if you're not enjoying it. Have fun! :)

Arctic
July 8th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Your new hair style looks great on you!

Glad to hear your hair toys still fit; I was sure they would, as shorter hair compacts less than long hair, and thus the buns are more voluminous.

henné
July 8th, 2015, 05:48 AM
What gorgeous head of thick hair!

I think it looks perfect at this length!

I agree with flickm.

Nymphea
July 9th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Dear Caraid,

you and me are pretty much in the same boat, although my hair is not (yet) at BSL, it's still longer.

Long story short, I reached TBL, maybe a little bit past it and then I somehow got bored. That is not my first time and usually I finish cutting it to hip on a whim and letting it grow again, but this time it wasn't so. I started with an inch trim, and then another inch, and then two, and then another... And right now I'm at almost waist and it feels surprisingly... I don't know. On one hand I enjoy my hair at shorter length (and I know it's funny but it really feels short), it's fun, it's bouncy... And I keep wanting to trim it a bit more. But on the other hand I am in a kind of surprise because I never cut my hair without the need (because of the damage for example) this much and I keep thinking of how much I love having a long hair... But I don't have regrets, which surprises me the most.

So I guess it's just ok that sometimes we need a change so we could enjoy something different and so we can see if we want to go back to the previous length - luckily, it's always possible.

Enjoy your hair, it is beautiful!!

Caraid♫
July 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I love it! I think that is a great length for your face shape. Very pretty and feminine!
thank you turtlelover, so kind of you to say!!

I think that length and style really suits you! I have days where I want to cut, too, so I know what you mean about wanting something new. There's no point having long hair if you're not enjoying it. Have fun! :)
Agreed- it's been a few days now and I am definitely having fun with it! Thank you!

Your new hair style looks great on you!
Glad to hear your hair toys still fit; I was sure they would, as shorter hair compacts less than long hair, and thus the buns are more voluminous.
Thank you Arctic! That must be the case- I found it really surprising! But of course I'm so happy I get to keep wearing my favorite hair toys :D

What gorgeous head of thick hair!

I think it looks perfect at this length!

I agree with flickm.
thank you henné!

Dear Caraid,

you and me are pretty much in the same boat, although my hair is not (yet) at BSL, it's still longer.

Long story short, I reached TBL, maybe a little bit past it and then I somehow got bored. That is not my first time and usually I finish cutting it to hip on a whim and letting it grow again, but this time it wasn't so. I started with an inch trim, and then another inch, and then two, and then another... And right now I'm at almost waist and it feels surprisingly... I don't know. On one hand I enjoy my hair at shorter length (and I know it's funny but it really feels short), it's fun, it's bouncy... And I keep wanting to trim it a bit more. But on the other hand I am in a kind of surprise because I never cut my hair without the need (because of the damage for example) this much and I keep thinking of how much I love having a long hair... But I don't have regrets, which surprises me the most.

So I guess it's just ok that sometimes we need a change so we could enjoy something different and so we can see if we want to go back to the previous length - luckily, it's always possible.

Enjoy your hair, it is beautiful!!
Yup, sounds like we are indeed in the same boat! It's a whole mixed bag of feelings isn't it? I think maybe part of it is when you've had a fixed goal for so long, it's hard to come to terms with realizing it's not what you want anymore. I am also surprised I don't feel more regret, which is such a relief! I know that for most of us on LHC hair isn't just hais (as that saying goes), but the other thing they say is true; hair does grow back! And can be enjoyed at many lengths! I'm totally loving the new found bounciness too! I hope you will also enjoy your new length :D

*ReiKa*
July 9th, 2015, 12:05 PM
I dont think very long hair necessarily looks flattering - sometimes it just looks like a figure obscuring cloak

This.

I totally agree, and also I don't think that that applies only to short people, but in general to anybody.
I love long hair, but sometimes it's beautiful on its own, not on the person, not on the total image of someone, if you know what I mean.
This is making me think a lot about what I want to do with my hair (currently at TBL), and probably I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's better for me to stop growing.
Also, I love wearing my hair loose, I never stopped wearing it down, and definitely don't plan to, if I let my hair grow longer I probably would, and I strongly dislike the thought of it.
You look really lovely with that lenght, seriously, it suits you.
Don't regret it, but instead, you should really enjoy it and have fun, hair that lenght can be worn any way you like! And if you change your mind, well, it won't stop growing! :)

Caraid♫
July 11th, 2015, 05:30 AM
This.

I totally agree, and also I don't think that that applies only to short people, but in general to anybody.
I love long hair, but sometimes it's beautiful on its own, not on the person, not on the total image of someone, if you know what I mean.
This is making me think a lot about what I want to do with my hair (currently at TBL), and probably I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's better for me to stop growing.
Also, I love wearing my hair loose, I never stopped wearing it down, and definitely don't plan to, if I let my hair grow longer I probably would, and I strongly dislike the thought of it.
You look really lovely with that lenght, seriously, it suits you.
Don't regret it, but instead, you should really enjoy it and have fun, hair that lenght can be worn any way you like! And if you change your mind, well, it won't stop growing! :)

Thank you Reika! What you describe is exactly how I felt- I really liked my hair just as hair, but part of the total image, I didn't like it on me. Good for you for still being able to enjoy it down at TBL! I could not stop fussing with mine when it was down at that length! You can always maintain for a while before you decide whether to grow further or no, and nothing is lost :)