PDA

View Full Version : WANNA COMPLAIN? Do it here.

Wusel
July 5th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Instead of complaining everywhere about your hair, do it here. :) :D

I start with:

1. My braid - it's never hanging straight down. Whatever I do, it's sometimes S-shaped, sometimes bends towards the neck, sometimes away from the neck... IT NEVER HANGS STRAIGHT DOWN like I want it to!!!:taz:

2. My up dos/hairstyles - my hair is so heavy that there's no up do/hairstyle that I can wear all day long. After 2-3 hours my scalp hurts and I'm forced to change my style. Which is extremely annoying when you're a teacher. Just imagine your teacher coming in the classroom with a different hairstyle every two lessons. Even a simple english braid hurts after a couple of hours.:couch:

3. I still don't know how to call the color of my hair.
Black-brown? (maybe) Dark-brown? (NO) Chocolate-brown? (not really).:chocolate:

Aderyn
July 5th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Heavy hair is no fun.. I'm finding when I do a bun, I oftentimes have to throw in one or two amish hairpins to really make sure it won't rotate and is very secure. A lot of it comes down to trial and error and practice, though.

I'm getting really annoyed with fuzziness/frizziness/flyaways poking out of my braids. Doesn't matter if my hair is lightly oiled, either. Sigh.

nalgena
July 5th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I hate that a few strand of my hair growing from my crown look so dry! I've never had any highlights done, yet they are a few shades lighter than my hair and most of the times have split ends. I have no idea why.

restless
July 6th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I'm getting really annoyed with fuzziness/frizziness/flyaways poking out of my braids. Doesn't matter if my hair is lightly oiled, either. Sigh.

This is the reason I very seldom wear braids. My nice-looking braid will only last for a few minutes and then the first hairs start to escape. Sometimes in this forum I read about people who can wear the same braid for days (!) and then I try to imagine how my own braid would look after just ONE day. I doubt it would even resemble a braid anymore.

spirals
July 6th, 2015, 01:03 AM
Every single bun I ever do is too thick and heavy for any kind of hair pin, even good grips. Only a stick will work, and I don't always want to wear one. Pins pop out and the heaviness of it makes it pull on my scalp hair. I'd just wear it down, but it's the middle of summer.

Arctic
July 6th, 2015, 03:33 AM
If there's something I dislike about my hair, it's the darn cowlick at the crown, which at its worst, makes it looks like a bald spot. It's lot of work to try to tame it daily.

Alien Girl
July 6th, 2015, 05:02 AM
My braids never hang straight either :P Even when it was long, my hair was too thick and just pointed at random angles.

One thing bothering me right now is I've been too lazy to wash my hair. I've probably gone 5 days without a shampoo atm. Since my bleaching I don't feel like I need shampoo, but I've also been over-oiling my hair on accident so it feels so grubby :P

Also not sure how long to wait until I do a mild bleaching again. A month? 3 weeks? Idk.... :rolleyes:

Horrorpops
July 6th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Hahaha I'll play! My updo's are never neat because I get crazy fly aways and curls sprout up all around my hairline and temples! That's my biggest beef, and that I have about 2" of bleached ends on all my hair and layers, I want it gone but don't want to lose length! Booooo :(

As for 's' shaped braids, mine used to do this when I pulled my hair over one shoulder to braid it. Now I stopped it by then pulling it the opposite way and tugging the hair a little. It relieves the tension in the braid and makes it lie straight. Not sure if you guys have already tried it, but it works for me! :p

lapushka
July 6th, 2015, 05:11 AM
1. My braid - it's never hanging straight down. Whatever I do, it's sometimes S-shaped, sometimes bends towards the neck, sometimes away from the neck... IT NEVER HANGS STRAIGHT DOWN like I want it to!!!:taz:

As you get more length, the braid will have a little more suppleness to it, and it will hang better.

2. My up dos/hairstyles - my hair is so heavy that there's no up do/hairstyle that I can wear all day long. After 2-3 hours my scalp hurts and I'm forced to change my style. Which is extremely annoying when you're a teacher. Just imagine your teacher coming in the classroom with a different hairstyle every two lessons. Even a simple english braid hurts after a couple of hours.:couch:

I'm a iii as well, and what worked for me all the time was a peacock twist; awesome style! Just with a claw clip. :)

missrandie
July 6th, 2015, 07:26 AM
My hair is in the stage where my bangs won't quite stay behind my ears, and they instead curl around and poke me in the eyes. And the nape is poky. Grr.

Bkiser3
July 6th, 2015, 07:42 AM
My hair refuses to grow. I've quit heat styling, have used every so called "miracle" product and nothing. Pretty sure I'm stuck with bsl hair forever ��

jackie_brown
July 6th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I wish I could have a iii mane like yours :couch:
My virgin hair is fine to medium (thanks to henna it's now medium) and I have some thin areas, plus it borns flat/straightish at the roots so every time i wash I have to lift the roots with a sort of alligator clips to avoid the flat roots/curly lenghts effect :disgust:
I have a long but also wide face, so i need volume near the cheekbones but lengths near the neck and i never know how to style my hair to achieve this effect without diffusing at high temp :confused:
I can't go CG because CWing cause my hair to shed like mad plus make my hair mushy :(

The only styling aid i found helping my curl pattern is flax seed gel with some hydrolized cheratin.

lilin
July 6th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Since my shave, it seems like my hair is going from nice-looking to crazy and unmanagable every half inch of growth.

Bald was obviously manageable, and I think my head worked well for it. Half an inch later I looked like GI Jane. Half an inch after that it looked really chic and sharp. Half an inch after that it was sticking up all over the place and I woke up looking like a baby Wolverine every day. Half an inch after that it was a cute pixie, and I could put a little part in it. And now, half an inch later, it's an unruly mess that keeps sticking out over my ears and curling in weird directions.

WILL YOU PICK A MOOD, HAIR?!

And I'm not even to the awkward phase yet. T_T

hinabelle
July 6th, 2015, 11:11 AM
My ends are so nasty :angry:

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Bald was obviously manageable,

OMG. CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce ::bounce::bounce:

Yes. I can imagine that bald is a very manageable hairstyle and doesn't make any problems... Easy to wash, brush, comb, oil... ROFL!!!
:rolling::bounce::rolling:

stachelbeere
July 6th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I've been in England for the last two weeks and my ends became crunchy... I even bought SLS shampoo to clarify and chelate and they are still annoyingly crunchy - What are you doing ends???

legendya
July 6th, 2015, 12:04 PM
No matter what I do, my hair in front gets super frizzy and fuzzy. It sticks straight out like the rays of the sun. Even if I smooth it back, it will revert back at the slightest breeze. It's like I'm living a permanent bad hair day all of my life. Ugh.

lilin
July 6th, 2015, 12:07 PM
OMG. CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce ::bounce::bounce:

Yes. I can imagine that bald is a very manageable hairstyle and doesn't make any problems... Easy to wash, brush, comb, oil... ROFL!!!
:rolling::bounce:

Definitely. Don't even need any hair toys to keep it out of my face! :D

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I've been in England for the last two weeks and my ends became crunchy... I even bought SLS shampoo to clarify and chelate and they are still annoyingly crunchy - What are you doing ends???

Are you from Germany? Or Switzerland? Or Austria? If so I recommend you the Alterra Haaröl Bio-Aprikosenkernöl. Made my 8 months old dry ends very nice and soft. :)

vpatt
July 6th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I'm afflicted with TWB. (Teeny weeny bun) and I really wish my hair would grow enough to have a visible bun. But it is growing, yay! Just maybe it could speed up?

stachelbeere
July 6th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Are you from Germany? Or Switzerland? Or Austria? If so I recommend you the Alterra Haaröl Bio-Aprikosenkernöl. Made my 8 months old dry ends very nice and soft. :)

well... I live in Poland but we do have Rossmann and my absolute go to conditioner + shampoo combo is Alterra Aloe Vera + Granatapfel...both the shampoo and conditioner (or hair mask) too bad I am running out of it here grr :/ thank you for the suggestions! and btw I was raised in Germany :)

Nettyx
July 6th, 2015, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=stachelbeere;3041559]I've been in England for the last two weeks and my ends became crunchy... I even bought SLS shampoo to clarify and chelate and they are still annoyingly crunchy

What part of England are you in? Most of the country has crazy hard water (just look for the scum when you make tea or coffee). My ends are crunchy too, I find oiling helps but although I love coconut oil my ends are better with sunflower or grapeseed oil.

My complaint is that my hair is so limp and has no body, it just sticks to my head like a limpet with a grudge.

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 01:04 PM
well... I live in Poland but we do have Rossmann and my absolute go to conditioner + shampoo combo is Alterra Aloe Vera + Granatapfel...both the shampoo and conditioner (or hair mask) too bad I am running out of it here grr :/ thank you for the suggestions! and btw I was raised in Germany :)

WHAT???!!! :cheese:I'm from Poland too!!! Finally found a polish fellow here!!! But I'm raised in Poland and live in Germany :) Cześć!

spirals
July 6th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Summer poses a problem: my scalp gets so sweaty that I have to wash more often else it itches. I am sick of washing my hair.

Frankenstein
July 6th, 2015, 01:39 PM
This is the reason I very seldom wear braids. My nice-looking braid will only last for a few minutes and then the first hairs start to escape. Sometimes in this forum I read about people who can wear the same braid for days (!) and then I try to imagine how my own braid would look after just ONE day. I doubt it would even resemble a braid anymore.

Same here. I also hate how my hair feels drier/frizzier after doing a wet braid. I've given up on them. Arg

I hate how, on the day of my most recent haircut, my ends seemed so much thicker and I loved it... but ever since that first day they haven't seemed as thick. I dunno, maybe I've just gotten used to them already.

I have a bunch of new growth at my roots and half of the hairs seem to want to stick straight up vertically most the time, some even in a strange zig zag pattern :rolleyes:

AspenSong
July 6th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I hate how braids taper down to itty bittiness on my hair. I know it's the nature of my hair type, but I can't help just not liking it. It's why I never braid my hair and bun it - when I braid it, I'm sad. =(

And I'm just generally discouraged all the time by the fact that I've got knee length hair and because of the type, I've still got small buns and can use 5" sticks and have toys that are ginormous in my hair. I really hoped by this length, it would change but I really don't think it will. I've got short legs and if I get to calf or ankle length - which isn't a huge amount of length from knee on me, still going to be fine and tiny.

lapushka
July 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I hate the length of it while washing. It's only a weekly occurrence, yet I think OMG I can't possibly go beyond classic from that POV. Then once it's day one again and my hair is up and out of the way, and the length is put to good use in an updo, I can no longer complain. Kind of a dilemma...

Islandgrrl
July 6th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I don't really have any complaints about my hair. But people are annoying the pants off me today. :bigeyes:

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I hate the length of it while washing. It's only a weekly occurrence, yet I think OMG I can't possibly go beyond classic from that POV. Then once it's day one again and my hair is up and out of the way, and the length is put to good use in an updo, I can no longer complain. Kind of a dilemma...

As my band really supports the idea of having a singer with knee length hair someday I can ask them to wash my hair on stage as part of the show. And the washing-problem is solved.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

meteor
July 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM

:agree: I feel the same!
Also, the moment my wet hair starts drying, I look at this tangled mess and feel a bit of a panic attack - what if I can't detangle this beast?? :scared: Boy, do I hate post-wash detangling! :lol: As soon as the detangling is over and the hair is up, I wonder what I even worried about. :lol:

Also, I'm constantly battling anemia. It messes with my overall health, and of course, sometimes freakish amounts of shed hair don't make my concerns in that regard any lighter. :(

Among minor issues: my hair is very grabby and difficult to do complex styles with - all those crazy braids (even just French!) and sophisticated updos... Yeah, my hair doesn't cooperate. It really has a mind of its own! :lol:

Aderyn
July 6th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I can definitely related to the semi-panic attack once hair starts drying... It's disheartening, too. You go through all the motions in the shower to thoroughly condition and detangle it, then 30 minutes later it's right back to being a tangled mess! I haven't really looked into a detangling spray.. I should do so (at least in the interim while waiting for Selkie!)

PurpleMoonstone
July 6th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Count me in on the tangle-related nightmares haha :P I was, condition and use argan oil through my lengths to ends and I still end up looking like a scarecrow when it's finally dry... also doesn't help that I have a MASS of flyaways/baby hairs which won't stay put no matter what conditioner I use, it's really frustrating at times.

Lauraes
July 6th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I hate how my hair never wants to hold braid waves. Maybe 5% of the time they'll come out nice, but usually I unbraid my hair and it looks 1b or 1c at best and goes back to being completely straight within half an hour. SO FRUSTRATING. I could curl my hair at 400 degrees, use half a can of hairspray and STILL have the waves fall out within 2 hours, so I'm not sure why I still fight to get heatless waves. And yes, I'm talking from pre-LHC experience. :p My hair has a mind of it's own. If it feels like being generous and looking nice, it will. Otherwise, nope, not gonna happen, no matter how hard I try.

DreamSheep
July 6th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I wish I could magically make my hair shorter and take it off like a wig for sport and Summer, and then just pop the length back on the rest of the time :)

Horrorpops
July 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I'm afflicted with TWB. (Teeny weeny bun) and I really wish my hair would grow enough to have a visible bun. But it is growing, yay! Just maybe it could speed up?

OMG Yes!!! I suffer from this as well! My hair is pretty thick but very fine, when I put it in a bun it shrinks right up to basically nothing.... why?!

Aderyn
July 6th, 2015, 09:32 PM
OMG Yes!!! I suffer from this as well! My hair is pretty thick but very fine, when I put it in a bun it shrinks right up to basically nothing.... why?!

So true, my hair compacts down into nothing. My hair is a couple inches shy of BCL stretched.

I can go from this (which was done very loosely, the buns can get a bit smaller than this..):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17908&d=1435281849

to this (and even larger!):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18045&d=1436207926

within minutes.. At least it makes it possible for me to use all of my hair toys and I'm not that limited by size of forks and sticks. :)

Horrorpops
July 6th, 2015, 09:39 PM
So true, my hair compacts down into nothing. My hair is a couple inches shy of BCL stretched.

I can go from this (which was done very loosely, the buns can get a bit smaller than this..):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17908&d=1435281849

to this (and even larger!):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18045&d=1436207926

within minutes.. At least it makes it possible for me to use all of my hair toys and I'm not that limited by size of forks and sticks. :)

Wow thats amazing!!! Hahaha I love that silver lining, it definitely does give you variety! I sometimes like it because smaller buns can be better for some situations (such as when I do any work in hospitals, particularly orthopedic wards) when you want your hair away and inconspicuous. But then my favourite buns are the massive fluffy ones (like your second pic *drool*)!

Unfortunately because my hair is still a few inches from waist my buns look super teeny sometimes.... exibit A - braided side bun
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17687&d=1434186476

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 09:46 PM
My list of complaints are

4: My cowlick

3: My barely one inch ponytail (this only bothers me because I'm afraid that as I age my hair will thin out and I don't feel like I have much to spare lol. I have lots of hair it's just fine.)

2: The layers I have at the moment were trimmed uneven when I got my hair trimmed a couple weeks ago. There is about a one inch difference. It's not too noticeable though because they were blended well and my hair has waves/curlies to it naturally. But it bothers me and I'm afraid to go back for fear my hair will come out butchered!

1: The fact I even have layers!!

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I love this thread because I have been mopey the last while about my layers Lol.

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 09:51 PM
I wish I could magically make my hair shorter and take it off like a wig for sport and Summer, and then just pop the length back on the rest of the time :)

I think about this all the time. Sometimes I just want shorter hair lol. But only for a day maximum haha. Just like I don't always want to wear high heels. Just some times.

spirals
July 6th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I hate how my hair never wants to hold braid waves. Maybe 5% of the time they'll come out nice, but usually I unbraid my hair and it looks 1b or 1c at best and goes back to being completely straight within half an hour. SO FRUSTRATING. I could curl my hair at 400 degrees, use half a can of hairspray and STILL have the waves fall out within 2 hours, so I'm not sure why I still fight to get heatless waves. And yes, I'm talking from pre-LHC experience. :p My hair has a mind of it's own. If it feels like being generous and looking nice, it will. Otherwise, nope, not gonna happen, no matter how hard I try.

Maybe you could try gel and wave (alligator) clips. I use them to get "marcel" waves. After it's dry, even though I have gel in, I hairspray it.

Robot Ninja
July 6th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I've probably said this before on here, but never hack off your nape hairs in a fit of annoyance. I'm waiting for them to grow back out and they look SO STUPID when I wear my hair up.

spirals
July 7th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I had to, not because of annoyance but a knot I couldn't get out. Mine look stupid, too.

stachelbeere
July 7th, 2015, 03:05 AM
What part of England are you in? Most of the country has crazy hard water (just look for the scum when you make tea or coffee). My ends are crunchy too, I find oiling helps but although I love coconut oil my ends are better with sunflower or grapeseed oil.

My complaint is that my hair is so limp and has no body, it just sticks to my head like a limpet with a grudge.

Reading, Berkshire... oh yes, I know the water is super hard - I really need to buy a water filter as I will be moving here soon. I chelated with lemon juice diluted in water and it helped a little... do you have any conditioner suggestions? coconut oil has always worked on my hair - but I might give it a go with sunflower oil now :) thanks!

as for your hair problem - my best friend has the exact same hair type - I think it looks so perfect, like she just straightened her hair <3 I can imagine your hair looks like this too!

WHAT???!!! :cheese:I'm from Poland too!!! Finally found a polish fellow here!!! But I'm raised in Poland and live in Germany :) Cześć!

Czeeeść!! Mieszkam w Krakowie, a Ty? I actually met two other girls from Poland on here - we kind of thought of a Polish LHC meeting but we live in completely different regions :/

Wusel
July 7th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Czeeeść!! Mieszkam w Krakowie, a Ty? I actually met two other girls from Poland on here - we kind of thought of a Polish LHC meeting but we live in completely different regions :/

Great!!! :disco:I plan to go to Kraków for summer vacation again, around late August I think. I love this wonderful city and I go there regularly. :) Jestem z Katowic i z Bremy. :)
Maybe we can organize a Polish LHC meeting somewhere in the middle? When we both are from South and the others are from North we can meet in Łódź or something. It's exactly in the middle. I'd love to visit the capital again and it's not far from Łódź, It's just a matter of time and organization. Is there a Polish LHC members tread already on the Friendship Board?

flickm
July 7th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I STILL can't manage to henna my roots without getting some of the length. I've got dark red streaks, but underneath are huge bits I've missed. Hmph!...

flickm
July 7th, 2015, 03:48 AM

Try living here all the time. our water is so hard you could graze your knuckles on it - though they seem to have lovely soft water up north.

Wusel
July 7th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Try living here all the time. our water is so hard you could graze your knuckles on it - though they seem to have lovely soft water up north.

Hard water is a nightmare for my hair.
We have the softest water of the whole world here in Bremen but when I visited some friends in Middle-West of Germany and washed my hair they have such hard water there I looked like Tina Turner in the eighties on my head. My thick hair exploded to ridiculously thick and my ponytail circumference was around 7 inches and it didn't hang down but stood horizontally behind my head like the braids of Pippi Longstocking. A nightmare.

flickm
July 7th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Hard water is a nightmare for my hair.
I looked like Tina Turner in the eighties on my head. My thick hair exploded to ridiculously thick and my ponytail circumference was around 7 inches and it didn't hang down but stood horizontally behind my head like the braids of Pippi Longstocking. A nightmare.

LOL! (and other words of amusement)

Tonky
July 7th, 2015, 04:20 AM
I must have my hair up att all times at home because my cat loves to play with it. He bites it and tries to climb in it. It is so annyoing!

stachelbeere
July 7th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Great!!! :disco:I plan to go to Kraków for summer vacation again, around late August I think. I love this wonderful city and I go there regularly. :) Jestem z Katowic i z Bremy. :)
Maybe we can organize a Polish LHC meeting somewhere in the middle? When we both are from South and the others are from North we can meet in Łódź or something. It's exactly in the middle. I'd love to visit the capital again and it's not far from Łódź, It's just a matter of time and organization. Is there a Polish LHC members tread already on the Friendship Board?

oh boy, it's a shame that we're thinking about this now because I'm in the middle of moving to England and it's stressful and time consuming so I'm not sure I'll be able to get to Łódź (it takes 6 hours to get there!). The two girls I was thinking about were Martyna_22 and MasCat (I think). I think we should definitely create a a Polish LHC thread on the Friendship board! If you're coming in late August to Krakow I'll be there though, so we can at least have a mini-meet! :)

yeah... I'm actually moving to Reading soon. I definitely need a water filter!

Arctic
July 7th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I think we should definitely create a a Polish LHC thread on the Friendship board!

How about starting a group at the groups section. :flowers: This way the group is visible to each of your profiles (who have joined it), and new Polish members can maybe find it easier than a thread. You can also organize and categorize a group better, like a different threads for different subjects (products, hair acessories, meets, general talk...).

mdvl
July 7th, 2015, 07:11 AM
My hair is frizzy and look terrible without flat ironing!! and I have a lot of fly-aways. And it's not shiny. And I wish it was longer.

missrandie
July 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I passionately hate headbands, yet have to wear one every stinking day to keep my dang hair from poking me in the eyes.

I can't wait for the day when I can bun my hair again and forget about it!!!

stachelbeere
July 7th, 2015, 08:09 AM
How about starting a group at the groups section. :flowers: This way the group is visible to each of your profiles (who have joined it), and new Polish members can maybe find it easier than a thread. You can also organize and categorize a group better, like a different threads for different subjects (products, hair acessories, meets, general talk...).

hmmm I've never been into groups... but that's a great idea :) I'll start one!

Wusel
July 7th, 2015, 08:19 AM
My hair is frizzy and look terrible without flat ironing!! and I have a lot of fly-aways. And it's not shiny. And I wish it was longer.

I had the same problem. Until I drowned all my hair several times in loads of protein conditioner. Now I have Asian sleek, pinstraight, heavy, frizzless, shiny hair.

Edit: Protein-Silicone-Conditioner

stachelbeere
July 7th, 2015, 08:26 AM
[B]Wusel, we've got a group - check my profile page. And if you have a profile photo suggestion let me know :) I'm adding something general now...

ETA: actually the photo depicts Zosia from Pan Tadeusz (the film from 1999) :)
[ending Polish banter here. proceed complaining]

B-ecca
July 7th, 2015, 04:10 PM
My hair seems to never grow!

Lauraes
July 7th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Maybe you could try gel and wave (alligator) clips. I use them to get "marcel" waves. After it's dry, even though I have gel in, I hairspray it.
I've tried all sorts of gels, mousses and everything else, they hardly make a difference. How do you use the clips though?

HappyHair87
July 7th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Shrinkage.

flickm
July 7th, 2015, 10:44 PM
)
yeah... I'm actually moving to Reading soon. I definitely need a water filter!

I'm also in the Thames Valley (as you can see from my profile) - very hard water, lime scale round the taps, in the kettle. Just up the road from Reading!

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 09:15 AM
^ I'm kind of relieved that that incredible water hardness in London and S-E England was not just all in my head. :lol: I love England to bits, but wow, my hair actually turned to straw there and I couldn't understand why none of my favorite products worked as normal - nothing was bringing back the shine... Now, of course, when people say their hair is acting weird and is so dry they are ready to cut it, I always recommend chelating (among a few other trouble-shooting steps)... but yeah, the differences in water and humidity can be so massive that it makes me wonder how realistic it is for some of international product recommendations to work (unless the person lives in the same area).

Actually, according to this (super-fun) video (from around 3:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovaKu1EsbnA), big manufacturers even adjust their products' pH for different international markets because of differences in quality of water (its mineral composition)! I don't know how true this is (I haven't tested products with pH testing strips), but I certainly notice that exactly the same products in different markets can have very different formulations. :hmm:

(ETA: sorry guys :oops: , had to fix the link to the right "Mental Floss" video)

flickm
July 8th, 2015, 10:22 AM
^ I'm kind of relieved that that incredible water hardness in London and S-E England was not just all in my head. :lol: I love England to bits, but wow, my hair actually turned to straw there and I couldn't understand why none of my favorite products worked as normal - nothing was bringing back the shine... Now, of course, when people say their hair is acting weird and is so dry they are ready to cut it, I always recommend chelating (among a few other trouble-shooting steps)... but yeah, the differences in water and humidity can be so massive that it makes me wonder how realistic it is for some of international product recommendations to work (unless the person lives in the same area).

Actually, according to this (super-fun) video (from around 3:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovaKu1EsbnA), big manufacturers even adjust their products' pH for different international markets because of differences in quality of water (its mineral composition)! I don't know how true this is (I haven't tested products with pH testing strips), but I certainly notice that exactly the same products in different markets can have very different formulations. :hmm:

(ETA: sorry guys :oops: , had to fix the link to the right "Mental Floss" video)

Yeah, the water here is awful. i was worried i wouldn't be able to use shampoo bars, but i'm ok as long as i only lather once, then vinegar rinse. But when i lived in Lincolnshire, the water was so soft it was difficult to rinse the soap off your hands when you washed them.

jupiterinleo
July 8th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Complaining about myself here.

Can vinegar damage hair? I'm not sure why I did it but I added vinegar to one of my deep treatments on a whim (and it was pretty strong--you could definitely smell it) and my hair hasn't been behaving since. It's also a tiny bit lighter, the lighter ends are very noticeable when it's up in a bun. Why did I do that?? I'm such a dumb butt, lol.

flickm
July 8th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Complaining about myself here.

Can vinegar damage hair? I'm not sure why I did it but I added vinegar to one of my deep treatments on a whim (and it was pretty strong--you could definitely smell it) and my hair hasn't been behaving since. It's also a tiny bit lighter, the lighter ends are very noticeable when it's up in a bun. Why did I do that?? I'm such a dumb butt, lol.

It shouldnt damage it. It restores the natural PH balance of hair and smoothes the hair cuticles down. I use a tablespoon to a large mug of water, plus a few drops of essential oil, and dont rinse it out. Maybe try a different vinegar. Cider or white wine vinegars work well. But Everybody's hair reacts differently, so maybe it isnt for you.

Halliday
July 8th, 2015, 01:11 PM
i've been so darn bad with my hair these past 6 months. no oil treatments, no masks, no effort and i STILL don't know how to do any cool braids or buns. like, the only bun i know is a cinnabun.

its making me really upset. i want to do a cool braided hairstyle like a half-up or something. could someone recommend a tutorial? :(

jupiterinleo
July 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
It shouldnt damage it. It restores the natural PH balance of hair and smoothes the hair cuticles down. I use a tablespoon to a large mug of water, plus a few drops of essential oil, and dont rinse it out. Maybe try a different vinegar. Cider or white wine vinegars work well. But Everybody's hair reacts differently, so maybe it isnt for you.

Hmm, alright. Maybe it's just time to clarify and chelate. I know I'm long overdue.

Madora
July 8th, 2015, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Halliday;3042884]i've been so darn bad with my hair these past 6 months. no oil treatments, no masks, no effort and i STILL don't know how to do any cool braids or buns. like, the only bun i know is a cinnabun.

its making me really upset. i want to do a cool braided hairstyle like a half

Here's a video tutorial by Lillith Moon: the two strand rope accent crown braid. Easy to do as it is only two strands. Looks beautiful and you can sleep on it too. Be sure to detangle your hair before you attempt it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck!

ExpectoPatronum
July 8th, 2015, 03:12 PM
My hair isn't curling up on the first day of washing and it's really frustrating me. My second day hair is 100x better! I don't know why, but my hair is just slightly wavy after washing. When I refresh my curls, ringlets sprout up everywhere. Ugh. I want ringlets every day.

I'm trying a shampoo that's a little more cleansing to see if it's just leftover product build up that's weighing my hair down. I'm also being lighter handed with my leave in and gel just to see. I know you're only supposed to change one thing, but my scalp needed something more cleansing anyway.

lapushka
July 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM
:agree: I feel the same!
Also, the moment my wet hair starts drying, I look at this tangled mess and feel a bit of a panic attack - what if I can't detangle this beast?? :scared: Boy, do I hate post-wash detangling! :lol: As soon as the detangling is over and the hair is up, I wonder what I even worried about. :lol:

Also, I'm constantly battling anemia. It messes with my overall health, and of course, sometimes freakish amounts of shed hair don't make my concerns in that regard any lighter. :(

Among minor issues: my hair is very grabby and difficult to do complex styles with - all those crazy braids (even just French!) and sophisticated updos... Yeah, my hair doesn't cooperate. It really has a mind of its own! :lol:

Oh, meteor, I hope you can get the anemia sorted, because that's a grave issue! Iron shortage is one thing, anemia quite the other. Hope you get & feel better soon. :flower:

Lauraes
July 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM
So apparently my hair hates being flipped over my face and brushed with a BBB (the so called "proper" way) no matter how good I detangle before and after flipping it over and how gentle and slow I am. I'm just gonna brush in the normal standing up position from now on... It doesn't tangle at all that way.

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 03:23 PM
i've been so darn bad with my hair these past 6 months. no oil treatments, no masks, no effort and i STILL don't know how to do any cool braids or buns. like, the only bun i know is a cinnabun.

its making me really upset. i want to do a cool braided hairstyle like a half-up or something. could someone recommend a tutorial? :(

Here is a video with 13 easy quick braids that should work really well at your length: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_yBrgPNrik
For cool half-ups, I'd just Google images of hairstyles from shows like the Vikings or the Game of Thrones and it will take you to YT tutorials in no time. ;)

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 03:25 PM
@lapushka:
Awww! Thanks a lot, dearest lapushka! :flowers: :D
I'll definitely keep working on it - it does take time for most people.

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Summer poses a problem: my scalp gets so sweaty that I have to wash more often else it itches. I am sick of washing my hair.

Spirals, I have the same problem every summer :( , but things got so much easier when I started doing scalp-only washes to tide be over between full washes. :)

I know I preach about them all the time :lol:, but they are a massive time-saving hair hack for long hair that's a hassle to wash frequently. You never know, they might work for others too. ;)
Here is a very quick one with a bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
Here is one with a braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo (from 1:40)

Gurlytomboy
July 8th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I get crazy flyaways if I try to put my hair up or pull it in a high ponytail. Yet when its down, there is no flyaways... So far, that what I hate most about it...That and how thin it is :(

alexis917
July 8th, 2015, 06:15 PM
When my hair was in a pixie cut, it was too short to curl. When it started to grow out, it sprung up! And now, at almost shoulder, my hair has weighed itself down. I keep floating between 1c, and 2c. But it looks like the straight is here to stay, unless I get some serious layers.

goldenwitch
July 8th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I had no idea that was the proper way...what difference is it supposed to make? I have always done it in sections with the normal standing up position.

goldenwitch
July 8th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Whoops, I meant to quote Lauraes.

missrandie
July 8th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I can make a half up now!!! But the very front fell out of the 'do grrr

Scuba
July 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Well, my current complaint would be that I'm completely overwhelmed by my splits and random lengths of hair. It's currently layered, and 90% of the ends are completely split. I've been doing S&D with shears, but it seems like I'm getting nowhere. :(
Also, baby fine hair doesn't want to do anything except lay flat.

(PS - Hi! LHC newbie here!)

unicornlady
July 8th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Yep... same here. Tattered hairstyles - check.

What a wonderful idea for a thread, Wusel. I get inspiration to complain every time I wash my hair. I learned to mostly ignore it on my non-wash days for the sake of peace of mind.

Okay let's begin.
My biggest complaint is that it wont nicely fall/weigh down and bounce with life and heaviness like hair of normal people... mine acts like wool candy and just floats around in space!!! :rolleyes: I'm currently working on it with henna and conditioners but I'm NOT getting my hopes too high... all the more frustrating is that my hair was normal until puberty!

Another is how it behaves, especially when it's humid... every single hair devising independent politics, no shape whatsoever unless shapeless is a shape! :wail:

Third is wave/curl... I am so jealous of straight-haired people who wake up, wash and GO! Oh my goodness, guys, dont you SEE how blessed you are? Then they tell you they want curls and wave... obviously never dealt with this hair type. :alcoholic::ponder::brickwall
Oh man, this feels so good.

Syaoransbear
July 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I have been stuck at 28" for 4 years. At first I thought it was because I was dyeing my hair, so I stopped dyeing my hair about 3 years ago. But I am still stuck at 28". My hair isn't totally virgin, but it is pretty close. I have been doing trims every 4 months, but I don't think I'm cutting off THAT much. It's mostly dustings. I'm scared I might be at terminal. I'll give it another year, and if I don't make it to my goal I'm going back to blonde and hair extensions. I just gave my hair a fresh dusting so if split ends are a problem(which I don't really have that many of...), then they shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Aderyn
July 8th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Really annoyed with cinnabuns. My hair is too thick to have a proper cinnabun, I just get one coil and then everything else just disappears under the first coil. Looking forward to having longer hair and the thickness travelling down to have a proper cinnabun.

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Really annoyed with cinnabuns. My hair is too thick to have a proper cinnabun, I just get one coil and then everything else just disappears under the first coil. Looking forward to having longer hair and the thickness travelling down to have a proper cinnabun.

??? I have same thickness and APL+ and I can make one coil of cinnabun without problem... And you are hip? Can you describe more precisely why/what doesn't work for you?

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 01:30 AM

??? I have same thickness and APL+ and I can make one coil of cinnabun without problem... And you are hip? Can you please describe more precisely why/what doesn't work for you?

Aderyn
July 9th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Yes, I'm probably halfway between hip and BCL. I can make one coil just fine, and go a little bit of the way around for the next coil and then the ends are tucked. I figure it's because I have a V-cut hemline and some taper so the tucked ends are a bit longer, but it's annoying nonetheless. :p

Doesn't look bad, I just want more coils in the bun!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18070&d=1436428434

Wusel
July 9th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Yes, I'm probably halfway between hip and BCL. I can make one coil just fine, and go a little bit of the way around for the next coil and then the ends are tucked. I figure it's because I have a V-cut hemline and some taper so the tucked ends are a bit longer, but it's annoying nonetheless. :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18070&d=1436428434

Now I understand :) But it looks wonderful! :) I'm waiting eagerly for the day when I'm able to hold my cinnabun with a stick. I can't do this yet, it works only with two of my one inch claw clips.

Arctic
July 9th, 2015, 03:38 AM

It looks great!

For more coils, have you tried sectioning your hair into 2 or 3 parts, and coiling one after another? This would make a nice, coily bun for thick hair, I believe. You might need to pin the coils as you go.

Aderyn
July 9th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words Wusel and Arctic

Wusel, I can't wait until you reach that length and I can't wait to see pics since your hair is so pretty!

I will have to try the sectioning to get a more coily bun, Arctic! Such a good idea. :)

flickm
July 9th, 2015, 07:22 AM
OK, so I know some of you have told me how to do my roots, and i've read loads, but I'm rubbish at it. i've just done them again and stuffed up big time, resulting in it getting on the length and making it darker...sigh....one 12 hour coconut and olive oil tretament and two back to back honey lightenings later, I've managed to lift it to a bit lighter and brighter - though no doubt I'll lose some of that when it oxidises. I'm heartliy sick of the sight of the bathroom sink (can't fit a shower in our bathroom, and the taps are the wrong shape to take a rubber shower head - so it's the sink and a mug for me)

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2015, 07:26 AM
So I retract my last complaint about my hair not curling up. I figured out the culprit. It's my beloved Tresemme Perfectly Undone conditioner.

I'm sad it pulled out all my curl because it's such a great conditioner otherwise. :(

Arctic
July 9th, 2015, 07:30 AM
OK, so I know some of you have told me how to do my roots, and i've read loads, but I'm rubbish at it. i've just done them again and stuffed up big time, resulting in it getting on the length and making it darker...sigh....one 12 hour coconut and olive oil tretament and two back to back honey lightenings later, I've managed to lift it to a bit lighter and brighter - though no doubt I'll lose some of that when it oxidises. I'm heartliy sick of the sight of the bathroom sink (can't fit a shower in our bathroom, and the taps are the wrong shape to take a rubber shower head - so it's the sink and a mug for me)

Could you ask if a hairsalon would do your roots with henna? You would bring your own henna, they'd apply it, then maybe you could sit under a hooded drier for an hour and they'd wash it off, or you could put on a showercap and beanie hat and drive home (if you have car) to let it marinade.

Also, have you started a thread about it? It might be worth your while to start one, describe the method(s) you have tried, and ask for tips.

Since you have very thick hair, you probably need to do quite a bit of sectioning, and having your henna paste in a squirt type bottle might help (needs to be quite runny for this, though). Or using a dye brush could help too. As would an extra pair of hands: how about that friend of yours you hennaed? You could have henna party, she could do your back of the head.

Oh, and if you haven't already, I would look for posts made by NIghtshade, she has mastered the roots only technique, but I think her hubby helps her though. But you could get tips from her posts.

These being said, I can very well understand how doing roots only is difficult. I never even tried to learn it because of that.

Robot Ninja
July 9th, 2015, 07:41 AM
So I retract my last complaint about my hair not curling up. I figured out the culprit. It's my beloved Tresemme Perfectly Undone conditioner.

I'm sad it pulled out all my curl because it's such a great conditioner otherwise. :(

D'oh, and I just bought some because people were raving about it.

flickm
July 9th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Could you ask if a hairsalon would do your roots with henna? You would bring your own henna, they'd apply it, then maybe you could sit under a hooded drier for an hour and they'd wash it off, or you could put on a showercap and beanie hat and drive home (if you have car) to let it marinade.

Also, have you started a thread about it? It might be worth your while to start one, describe the method(s) you have tried, and ask for tips.

Since you have very thick hair, you probably need to do quite a bit of sectioning, and having your henna paste in a squirt type bottle might help (needs to be quite runny for this, though). Or using a dye brush could help too. As would an extra pair of hands: how about that friend of yours you hennaed? You could have henna party, she could do your back of the head.

Oh, and if you haven't already, I would look for posts made by NIghtshade, she has mastered the roots only technique, but I think her hubby helps her though. But you could get tips from her posts.

These being said, I can very well understand how doing roots only is difficult. I never even tried to learn it because of that.

Arctic, that's so kind of you to help :) very very much appreciated. I can't afford a hair salon, and most of them round here would turn their noses up at applying henna; but I've just decided to ask my friend Kate to help me (she's the one i asked for help to do her white roots, on the henna forum). I did her hair last time and have said I'll do her roots again. I think it's time for me to ask for help. My man refuses to help with anything like that because he's scared of getting it wrong. I make such a mess myself: if i section it, i get in a horrible muddle when i move onto the next section. It seems reading and watching youtube videos just aren't enough for me to get it right.

Thanks again for your support :blossom:

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2015, 08:51 AM
D'oh, and I just bought some because people were raving about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic conditioner (I'm still gonna rave about it), but I wouldn't use it if you wanted to wear your hair down with natural curls. If you're going to wash your hair and style it, then it's great. I'm going to use it to protect my hair while swimming because it makes my hair feel wonderful.

Jennah
July 9th, 2015, 08:55 AM
My complaints, yeah! :soapbox:

- The white hairs... I´ve been trying not to color the hair too often and do it every three months instead. Cool. Except that the white hairs show so messy! Even if I keep my hair up they show and I have to paint them with an eyeliner :rolleyes:. I can´t even wear the hair loose because it looks terrible, and I´m too lazy to color anyway.

- The thin out... Yeah, I´ve been trimming like crazy, every three months about an inch or more, and no matter what I do I get these ratty ends. I´m just going to let them be and see if I can get some hair growth because for now I´m stuck.

- The canopy... It´s the most damaged part of my hair because of the color. Thus, it won´t curl as much as the rest and it looks frizzy. Just hope to eventually cut it all off in the ends and pamper it with oil.

No more complaints. :p

Robot Ninja
July 9th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic conditioner (I'm still gonna rave about it), but I wouldn't use it if you wanted to wear your hair down with natural curls. If you're going to wash your hair and style it, then it's great. I'm going to use it to protect my hair while swimming because it makes my hair feel wonderful.

I don't have natural curls. I have some wave, that falls out if I look at it funny. I was hoping that a conditioner that wavies and curlies were raving about would help with that, but oh well.

yahirwaO.o
July 9th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Hope not to sound arrogant..... But I have nothing to complain about!!!!!!, I left my hair in a deep treatment, washed my hair, with my holy method, almost no shed and blow dryed my hair with cool settting. My mane is soft, bouncy and shiny!!! :cool:

....... the only inny tinny bad thing, the weather is so damn humid and rainny, this hair can get a bit frizzed out when washed and humidity. This isnt really a bad hair thing and I love rain so I dont see this enough to complain. :cheese:

LauraLongLocks
July 9th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Hope not to sound arrogant..... But I have nothing to complain about!!!!!!, I left my hair in a deep treatment, washed my hair, with my holy method, almost no shed and blow dryed my hair with cool settting. My mane is soft, bouncy and shiny!!! :cool:

....... the only inny tinny bad thing, the weather is so damn humid and rainny, this hair can get a bit frizzed out when washed and humidity. This isnt really a bad hair thing and I love rain so I dont see this enough to complain. :cheese:

I was going to say the same thing! I have no complaints. I do wish it would grow with lightning speed, but it's pretty no matter how fast it grows.

Aderyn
July 9th, 2015, 10:33 PM
No complaints at all? Nice! :D

Aurum
July 9th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Ugh, shedding.

It's way more noticeable now that I'm getting to BCL. It's not even an abnormal shed or causing thinning, it's just regularly shedding that's bugging me. I hate pulling out what feels like handfuls of shed hairs after a wash and having giant long strands curled around my toes, laying on my arms, etc. I constantly feel the need to vacuum now, knowing that there are probably monster sheds laying around unseen. I can't just throw a shed in the corner, because there's usually at least 3 or 4 and it adds up when they're all bunched together.

Ugh. :(

ghost
July 10th, 2015, 12:43 AM
I really want to go blonde again! My hair is a natural level 6 (dark blonde) and I dyed it black a few years ago and kept it that way, instead of going to a lighter blonde bc I thought it would be less damaging. Funny thing is, I would only need 20 volume developer (the same as I use on my black dye, otherwise it just washed right out of my hair, even at the roots) to get the level of blonde I want.
Of course, now if I tried to go blonde, it would take several months of not coloring it at all to give it a rest before the process of olaplex/bleach/toner...and even that would have to be done over a period of a few months; I'd be scared to lift to the level I want all in one go.

Either way, it's not going to happen because I just figured out a routine that makes my fine, fluffy hair into the soft, silky wonder that I envied other finehairs for for the longest time. I'm not giving that up :p
I own some high-quality cosplay wigs for the days i want a change of color, but I'm not sure if I have the guts to wear them anywhere but on Instagram or in a darkened club.

hannabiss
July 10th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I have bee. Wanting to cut my hair lately. I hate shedding. As my hair is thin. I usually see she Dr after I wash and I'm In the shower. All the same i worry my hair will go see threw.
ALSO sometimes .... I just really like a short hair style and want it so bad!!

But two years since I cut it all off (this month) so it's not going anywhere.

texangrrl
July 10th, 2015, 07:42 AM
I can't stand my cowlick. It's right in the front, just slightly left of center. It's a pain the rear to tame it everyday. And when I don't? My hair looks crazy!! If it weren't for the cowlick, I would go completely heat free, but unfortunately I need the heat of my blow dryer and a round brush to tame it.

truepeacenik
July 10th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I looked up an old thread in the archives a couple days ago.

Then I poked around for my early posts. (2007-2008)
I realized I've had several multi month into year stalls, resorted to cutting ends by the half foot, and so I'm basically only six-seven inches longer now than I was then. What the??
I started probably above tailbone length. I'm at thumbtip now, for the second time in a 12-month span.
I've had six major sheds (a topical cancer treatment, two stressful life events, one allergic reaction to a shampoo, CO/over oiling scalp, pneumonia)

Time to make a plan, and stop this haphazard "care."

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 10th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Ok so this isn't about my hair, (although I have had many hair issues/bad hair days), but I dropped my large bottle of argon oil, (glass bottle), and the whole thing shattered. I was not able to salvage any because there were pieces of glass all over the place and I didn't want to risk it. It was a new bottle too. Sigh.

Aderyn
July 10th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Ahh, that sucks Runawaychic006, so sorry! :(

I usually transfer my argan oil (comes in a 4 ounce bottle) into a 1/2 ounce container so if I break the little one or it leaks, I'm not out that much. It also helps preserve the argan oil in the 4 oz container longer since that remains in the cardboard box, in the dark. You can find half ounce dropper bottles on Amazon or SpecialtyBottle or other sites/stores, I'm sure, if you or anyone else were wondering. :)

vpatt
July 10th, 2015, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Halliday;3042884]i've been so darn bad with my hair these past 6 months. no oil treatments, no masks, no effort and i STILL don't know how to do any cool braids or buns. like, the only bun i know is a cinnabun.

its making me really upset. i want to do a cool braided hairstyle like a half

Here's a video tutorial by Lillith Moon: the two strand rope accent crown braid. Easy to do as it is only two strands. Looks beautiful and you can sleep on it too. Be sure to detangle your hair before you attempt it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck!

I want to do this so badly, lol. I have tried over and over and I can't get it. I don't know if my growing out bangs are the problem or my brain cannot grasp what she is doing.

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=Madora;3042932]

I want to do this so badly, lol. I have tried over and over and I can't get it. I don't know if my growing out bangs are the problem or my brain cannot grasp what she is doing.

If you don't know how to make a regular, simple, straight french rope braid (or regular, non-french ropebraid), then you'd better start with those.

Crown braids are a bit more difficult than many other braid types, it took me years to learn to do mine so, that I want to wear it in public. Probably most people can learn it quicker, but to me this particular style was difficult, even though I am quite good braider.

vpatt
July 10th, 2015, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=vpatt;3044018]

If you don't know how to make a regular, simple, straight french rope braid (or regular, non-french ropebraid), then you'd better start with those.

Crown braids are a bit more difficult than many other braid types, it took me years to learn to do mine so, that I want to wear it in public. Probably most people can learn it quicker, but to me this particular style was difficult, even though I am quite good braider.

Thank you. I will check those out. I can do plain, French and Dutch. Plain may be English, I'm not sure. I will look on YouTube.

Arctic
July 10th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Thank you. I will check those out. I can do plain, French and Dutch. Plain may be English, I'm not sure. I will look on YouTube.

I forgot to add, that rope crown braid is easier than other braid types, so as for crown braids go, it probably is good choise to start with! I practiced mine mostly with french braiding, because it gave me awesome waves :)

Yes, regular braid is English braid, alias 3-strand braid.

The names of the braids I suggested (because I wrote them out in too many words) are rope braid and french rope braid. When you learn the technique, the rope crown braid will become much easier, as your mind and hands have already learned the basic movements.

Good luck and enjoy braiding, I always find it so relaxing!

Chocowalnut
July 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I'm tired of my two colored hair. I want it all one color but I'm growing out my natural color. I'm also a little annoyed with the texture, not straight not curly and flat. It's also not long enough especially relative to my body.

vpatt
July 10th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I forgot to add, that rope crown braid is easier than other braid types, so as for crown braids go, it probably is good choise to start with! I practiced mine mostly with french braiding, because it gave me awesome waves :)

Yes, regular braid is English braid, alias 3-strand braid.

The names of the braids I suggested (because I wrote them out in too many words) are rope braid and french rope braid. When you learn the technique, the rope crown braid will become much easier, as your mind and hands have already learned the basic movements.

Good luck and enjoy braiding, I always find it so relaxing!

I may have to trap my daughters so that I can practice on their hair first, lol. Maybe if I learn on someone else it would be easier.

hinabelle
July 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
My hair is so unappealing when worn down currently... Luckily I am in the habit of wearing it up am the time so no one has to see what a mess it is, including myself!

Lauraes
July 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
My hair won't stop breaking claw clips! This time it broke a really nice one that actually belongs to my mom (we share hair stuff). :( I try to put them in gently but the teeth always snap off.

applecinn
July 11th, 2015, 09:11 PM
I have hair envy. My niece has waist length hair and an amazing talent for up-dos (she's a dancer)

I can manage a relatively decent pony tail... :)

Sigh

Wusel
July 12th, 2015, 02:53 AM
My hair won't stop breaking claw clips! This time it broke a really nice one that actually belongs to my mom (we share hair stuff). :( I try to put them in gently but the teeth always snap off.

From my experience it's bad quality claw clips. Since I started buying the more expensive ones, none of them broke.

Sammie_holms
July 12th, 2015, 06:19 AM
I feel like my hair is never going to get past BSL. It gets there and then it feels too damaged to keep growing. Or I get bored and want to try something new. Which I then hate. GRRRR. How to you guys "spice up" your hair life? Cause I am just about BSL and feeling the boredom...

Aderyn
July 12th, 2015, 06:48 AM
BSL is a great length to start experimenting with different updos and braids. You're a iii thickness, so sectioned buns are most likely the way to go at that length (i.e. section 1/3-1/2 of you hair, bun that, then braid and/or wrap around the rest).

Or start experimenting with different hair products, regimes, hair toys, DIY, etc.

hannabiss
July 12th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I cut back in my bangs last night....I've cut my bangs a million times just the way i like em. However I was in a rush last night...and I got my bangs alright. Way to short and completely wonky.Pissed at my self for rushing.

spidermom
July 12th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I live in Washington state where the water is soft. I love how silky smooth my hair feels there. I've been at my father's house in Ohio where the water is hard for nearly a month, and I hatehatehate how it makes my hair feel - rough and tangly. A special hard water shampoo and conditioner help but not enough.

I WANNA GO HOME!

missrandie
July 12th, 2015, 06:25 PM
I hate how I over think my hair now. I have this irrational fear that it is never going to grow back out, and I just have to keep lookin back at pictures to confirm yes, it is growing!!

I also hate how my ex bangs keep trying to curl around on my face. They are down to mid chin stretched, but they prefer to make one big loop and poke me in the eyes!

flickm
July 13th, 2015, 07:32 AM
I hate how I over think my hair now. I have this irrational fear that it is never going to grow back out, and I just have to keep lookin back at pictures
to confirm yes, it is growing!!

You think you've got problems ;) I took a photo last month and again this month and it actually looks shorter now :(

flickm
July 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I hate how I over think my hair now. I have this irrational fear that it is never going to grow back out, and I just have to keep lookin back at pictures to confirm yes, it is growing!!

You think you've got problems ;) I took a photo last month and again this month and it actually looks shorter now :(

browneyedsusan
July 13th, 2015, 09:29 AM

I also hate how my ex bangs keep trying to curl around on my face. They are down to mid chin stretched, but they prefer to make one big loop and poke me in the eyes!

Eye poking bangs are the worst! (pin them up until they come around to your way of thinking?) I maintained my "bangs" at chin for a while, because I liked how they looked pulled out of updos. Then decided that they bugged me so much it wasn't worth it! Hellooo, giant forehead! :)

I can relate. Some of my siggies look like my hair is shrinking! (It probably depends on how I'm standing. --Ya, my back crooked. Too bad, so sad.) I hovered at or around BSL for months and months! Then, :magic: , one day it was at waist! How did that happen?

I can only hope that one day I will wake up and :magic: it'll be TBL! lol!

Halliday
July 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
i think my hard water might be the reason my hair looks perpetually crap. so annoying.

Kiiruna
July 14th, 2015, 03:19 AM
All these beautiful hair here makes my hair look like crap. All I can see is ugly, tangly, short, too thick hair with white dots.

LillithTheFirst
July 14th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Every few years I go through a bit of a "shed" mind you, I still have A LOT of hair. But I have HEAPS of baby hairs around 3 inches long and its SOOO annoying because it isn't long enough to stay in a bun or ponytail, or braid, they just wisp around - so annoying!. But in a few months that will be solved and I will also be at tailbone length (fingers crossed!)

Wolfie
January 3rd, 2016, 01:22 AM
Oh gosh where do I start!?!
1- I have wavy/curly baby hairs that make a halo over the front of my hairline all the way past my temples, and NOTHING but 3-4 days of not washing can keep them down, and even then there are still some that jerk out. They also make my hair look like its damaged in the front even though it's not. People still assume it is even after I explain *sigh* and making a braid or a slicked back ponytail with freshly clean hair... Oh man, it looks like I was electrocuted.

2. My roots. My hair is black but it has gotten lighter recently. It is now a dark brown, which you really can't tell apart from the ends unless I plop them next to each other. But what I don't like is the new random gold hairs (or I guess medium very golden blonde?). They don't really make sense with the rest of my hair. And they are growing out still this odd color. I suppose it may be due to having some European blood on my mom's side even though I'm over 75% Native American and Indigenous Guatemalan, ad well as Mestizo... Still it is very peculiar, especially since they only grow near my hairline.

3. I have pretty decent thickness and it shows well, but whenever I wear a ponytail the base always looks so minuscule compared to the hair hanging down, though I might just be crazy.

4. After I cut my BCL hair back to waist the the ends kept flipping up. They don't anymore thankfully but I thought I looked so silly.

5. My hair refuses to be parted in any way other than straight down the middle. I could comb a side part and let it dry, but within minutes my middle part pushing the other back. I've learned to embrace it, and I've also learned that I look horrendous with a side part lol. And brushing back to be sleek takes some skill otherwise it divides it right back up. I usually brush it back and slightly to one side (not usually noticeable)

6. This more of what people say, but I hate when people ask why my hair isn't pin straight since I'm Native. Not all Natives have straight hair. I was actually born with curly hair and it became straighter as I grew and its length grew. And it's not like I have crazy curly hair. My hair is mostly 1C, sometimes 2A. The only time my hair is wavy or curly is due to heatless curls/waves or braid waves. And then they always ask why my baby hairs are straight *sigh*.

7. Scalp cleavge and my thick ugly sideburns (which nothing can get rid of them [might try lazor hair removal]). Other than that I can't really come up with anything, it grows pretty fast, and I love that it's soft. Sometimes I wish it was uncontrollably thick (one can only wish). :)

hanne jensen
January 3rd, 2016, 02:58 AM
It's taking forever for me to reach the bottom of waist. I've been halfway forever.

Lauraes
January 3rd, 2016, 03:06 AM
I had just hit hip length until I had 1 - 1.5 inches trimmed, and it set me back to waist length because I'm THAT short. :rolleyes:

stelz
January 3rd, 2016, 03:32 AM
My hair is all cowlicks and weird waves. It's horrible when it's short. The two sides wave differently and I can't just roll with it with a side part because a side part is all wrong for my face. Even at butt length, it looks a little asymmetrical around the face.

Atira
January 3rd, 2016, 04:57 AM
I think my hair is at terminal at brushing hip. :/ Its been this length for three years. I had my first trim in five years over the summer, barely an inch and it still wont grow past hip (roots grow fine - I am two years dye free - but its breaking I guess).

I also now have these wispies over my ears that Ive never had before and they arent cute whispies. They look weird when I pull my hair back. :(

bunneh.
January 3rd, 2016, 07:27 AM
The only thing I can really complain about is how awful layers make my hair look on some pictures... I don't want to complain too much, because my hair could be a lot worse than it is and I love my hair but just... why??? @.@

mermaid lullaby
January 3rd, 2016, 09:08 AM
This dry climate is making my hair static

Princess_Anna
January 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Happened a few months ago, still makes me unreasonably (?) angry. There's this asian girl (1b, not quite shoulder, really thick) in my boarding house and we don't exactly get along, and completely out of the blue she turns to me and says

"your hair is way too long, it's ugly and you need a haircut."

Uhhh… How am I even supposed to respond to that?! And it's not even that long, must have been about hip at the time. :(

missrandie
January 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
I really really wanna trim the ends of my hair because they are starting to feel a little rougher. They always do this to me; they start curling one direction or another. Not curl curls, no.. They just bend. It's what they do. However, with 4 inches of layers and hair just to collarbone, I cannot/am unwilling to trim them now.

So instead, I'm stuck using a nice coney leave in to get them to quit being dumb. I really just want to put my hair up, but the only ways it stays up is 1) with a ponyband, which I hate using, especially in the car and 2) hidden under a silk scarf, which looks goofy on me. If I had enough length in the front and top layers, they might stay in. But they don't. And they won't.

I should be thankful, though.. At least the locks around my face aren't trying to stab my eye out anymore.

MsPharaohMoan
January 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
I'm eyeing a very pretty hairstick but don't think it would look good with my exploding layer buns... :(

calmyogi
January 3rd, 2016, 03:54 PM
I don't like my hemline or my layers. I-Just-Want-Them-Gone! I want a straight across hemline or a nice round U shaped one. I can't fix any of this unless I want to lose length which I am not willing to do at this stage. UGH!

calmyogi
January 3rd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Happened a few months ago, still makes me unreasonably (?) angry. There's this asian girl (1b, not quite shoulder, really thick) in my boarding house and we don't exactly get along, and completely out of the blue she turns to me and says

Uhhh… How am I even supposed to respond to that?! And it's not even that long, must have been about hip at the time. :(

Whuuhh? Wow lol

littlestarface
January 3rd, 2016, 04:37 PM

The nerve of some nasty people.. You shouldve told her off, you shouldve been like dont be jealous just cuz you cant grow your hair long like mine, witch!

kaeide
January 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
I'm visiting family in a dryer state, and my hair is over compensating and now it gets super greasy after 2 days. In Texas I could go 4 days and it still wouldn't wouldn't look nearly as bad. I've used so much dry shampoo...

lapis_lazuli
January 3rd, 2016, 06:04 PM
It seems like no matter what I do, my hair refuses to grow more than 0.5"/month :( I eat a lot of protein (double to triple what's recommended) but with null results. Maybe I'm not getting enough carbs? :confused: I don't know. Maybe it's just genetics. Arrgh! :rant:
On the bright side... at least it's still growing. I have to remind myself of that :roll:

Astraea
January 4th, 2016, 01:10 AM
This is the funniest thread ever, I've been crying since I started reading!

My issues?
My hair goes from a supersoft cloud suspended around my shoulders to skinny minny, Snoop Lion/Snoop Dog (whoever he is now) braids no matter what I do. The volume is like a plush toy, I pull my hair back and it compresses down to nothing. I refuse to bun or braid without extensions or some scarf for added thickness, it's just too humiliating otherwise.

Also my formerly robust front hairline has never recovered from years of hair weaves and is markedly thinner.

Lastly, I, dummy, hacked off a rectangular wedge of hair in my lower third trying to get rid of a knot I created! Another year another growback :steam

And, like further upthread, I'm battling anemia - SHEDDDDDDDDD!

Princess_Anna
January 4th, 2016, 02:27 AM
The nerve of some nasty people.. You shouldve told her off, you shouldve been like dont be jealous just cuz you cant grow your hair long like mine, witch!

I love that, I'll be sure to use it next time! I was just so taken aback that I couldn't think of a decent comeback at the time

HollyLindsey
January 4th, 2016, 03:42 AM
I had waist length hair but then I got an angled stacked neck length bob with layers to my eyebrows. I didn't ask for that haircut, which frustrates me. I'm now officially 8 months in growing, and the top layers keep splitting because the hairdresser botched it with thinning shears. The bottom layers however, stay perfect. I feel stuck in that aspect, because I don't want to cut my hair to my ears. It looks really awkward on me because it doesn't fit my face shape or personality. I just hide it everyday in a low bun. I really miss letting my long hair flow past my shoulders and tucking it behind my ears without layers falling in my eyes. I miss the way it didn't make my face look funny. Also I can't ever find a haircare routine I love.

Okay, I'm done! Thanks for letting me complain haha! On a positive note, at least my hair is growing (no matter how slow.)

Grenouille
January 4th, 2016, 05:05 AM
last time i cut my hair was in august 2014 (and then few ends-cuts but none recently)...it was at the neck line (close to the shoulders). Now it's at the armpit line, so it has grown and i'm glad for that. But now i feel it has been stocked to this line! Maybe it's just my imagination, maybe i'm too impatient. I think i will try to relaxe and let it grow at its rythm. Just massaging my scalp, eating well and try some natural methods...the reason i'm so hurry for lenght is that my hair has a very big volume when it's short. I hope lenght will bring some heavy to my hair.

also i'm very unhappy with my grey hair :( i'm only 29yo and i have a few of them, thank you genetic! I don't want to dye my hair now but in the other side i can't like the grey hair, what a dilemma! I'm looking for pictures of women wearing proudly their "salt and pepper" hair, to see it's possible to enjoy it :)

now that i complained about my hair i can go back to my love for it: it's maybe not the parfect hair but it's healthy, strong and not the worst :p

littlestarface
January 4th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I love that, I'll be sure to use it next time! I was just so taken aback that I couldn't think of a decent comeback at the time

Yea they try n catch you off guard little sneaky pricks, I hope this chick doesnt say anything to you again:patrol:

floralgem
January 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I have a lot to complain about:
1. The fact that 4 years after the end of my bangs I still have annoying bang growth happening

2. The dip dye I got. I wanna trim it all of but I feel like I'm going to lose a lot of length if I do it, but my ends are horrendous from it.

3. I'm at the stage where I can basically do Cinnabuns but I can't do anything else

4. My hair looks amazing when I don't wash it for a few days but it smells. And when I wash it the morning after is a horror movie

5. My hair hates being combed and I only comb it mainly on said wash day. When I do comb it dry it turns into a frizz battle.

lapis_lazuli
January 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Feeling pessimistic today... :nono:
I so wish I'd never let bleach touch my hair. It could've been so much longer by now and in near perfect condition if I'd never wanted to lighten it. Heck, I like my natural colour! I don't know what I was thinking. :shake:
What's done is done... I can't dwell on it.

missrandie
January 4th, 2016, 01:30 PM

You could always turn it back around, use her exact tone of voice for it too. "Your hair is way too short, it's ugly and obviously needs to grow." When she gets all uppity and mad, say " See? sounds pretty rude, doesn't it? Now mind your own damn business and I'll mind mine."

Or something to that effect.

SwanFeathers
January 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM
My hair is wavy-er on one side than the other

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Its winter, yet in this city is raining like mad!!!! And my hair is absolute poofy straight!!!!! LOL (Hermaoine's hair 1rst movie, is the best way to describe it) :p