PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Quality Oils

maskedrose
July 5th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Last year I finally (after 7 years of experimentation) discovered my Holy Grail oil. I was at Whole Foods and on a whim decided to try organic avocado oil after sampling various oils on my skin. The one I selected (I can't remember the brand name, and it has since become unavailable) was a rich green color and had a pleasant avocado aroma. I used it religiously and my hair soaked it up like no other oil that I'd tried previously. It became much shinier, softer and had greater elasticity than ever before.

Then my bottle ran out, and I happened to be at Costco the same day and was drawn by the giant bottles of avocado oil sitting on the shelf. So inexpensive! I could use it for everything! Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you - it was not the same. Nearly clear and odorless, it sat on the top of my hair and refused to absorb. Even after a heavy oiling, my hair felt rough and tangly. I persevered for a couple of months, determined to make the most out of my purchase, but I finally broke down last week and ordered a bottle of organic, cold pressed avocado oil off of Amazon.

My hair is once again in heaven. I can oil it quite heavily on a daily basis, and it absorbs almost instantly, leaving my hair smooth and buttery soft. So let this be a lesson - if you are using sub-par oils and are frustrated with the results, try investing in the best quality you can afford. It's worth it, and your hair will thank you.

meteor
July 5th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Yes, that stuff can certainly make a difference, especially in terms of provenance and processing.
Another thing to be aware of is that among "organic, extra-virgin" oils you might see a big difference depending on where exactly and how the plant was grown - and provenance makes a big difference with essential oils, for example. Even seasonality can change things - which is why you can see different bottles of the same kind of oil of varying colors and depth. If you found a specific maker/brand you particularly like, you might want to stick with that one. :)

Personally, I'm not picky about hair oils at all, since they will just sit on dead keratin, but I agree that texture differences can be pretty massive. :)

vpatt
July 5th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I found my avocado oil at whole foods, too. I bought it for a face wash and it it wonderful for me. But recently I was thinking of trying it in my hair. I haven't been oiling as much as I was there for a while....but still once in a while. I think I went crazy after first finding this site. Lol, I wanted to try everything I read about. I have only been here two months.

Carolyn
July 5th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Once again the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true.

Aderyn
July 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Organic, cold pressed, unrefined.. always makes such a huge difference. It's wonderful when Costco has oils that satisfies said condition (i.e. coconut oil), and I really wish they had more, but oh well.

spidermom
July 5th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Good to know. I've never tried avocado oil but have been gifted with so much coconut oil (organic and unrefined, different brands) that I won't be buying oil for a long time.

LadyLongLocks
July 5th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I have always wanted to try avocado oil. I have a whole foods near me so I will take a look.I mostly use coconut oil.

GoldLady
July 5th, 2015, 11:19 PM
What was the brand you purchased from Amazon, maskedrose?

*ReiKa*
July 6th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I experienced the same difference with my coconut oils.
The very first one that I bought I finished it all and then the next one, of a different brand, totally felt and applied differently to my hair.
So yes, they're not all the same at all.

Luminaria
July 6th, 2015, 12:15 PM
For me, it was the opposite. I used NOW brand avocado oil many years ago and I don't remember it being that spectacular on my hair. Recently, I bought the bulk avocado oil at Winco. Their avocado oil is amazing. It makes my hair soft, smooth, and shiny. It absorbs well and makes detangling a breeze.