PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my snappy hair

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 03:57 AM
For the past couple of months my hair has been very snappy. If I try to stretch a hair it just snaps, no elasticity whatever. I have tried cutting back on protein in case it was protein overload, but that hasn't made a difference. I've swapped my shampoo and conditioner over to moisturing. Soaked in olive oil overnight. Used leave in moisturising conditioner. Chelated. I wear hair up everyday. Last time I tried coconut oil it left me crunchy. I also take a multi vit. My hair doesn't look dry and is soft.

What at can I try next. Should I give coconut oil another try but use it sparingly?

Please help I'm at my wits end. :)

elsieivy
July 5th, 2015, 04:02 AM
I'm sorry; that sounds really frustrating. Are you eating a balanced diet and everything? Is it possible it's just old damage from something that happened in the past? If so, it's frustrating that you'll have to grow it out, but at least you know that your new growth is healthy.

Aderyn
July 5th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Have you tried clarifying?

What sort of moisturizing have you done? Have you tried the WCC method? How often do you wash?

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Yes I've tried clarifying. I cwc with moisturising conditioner and very little shampoo.

As to adding moisture, conditioners, leave ins, over that I put garnier oil to seal it in. Olive oil overnight 2-3 times a week.

I do wash 4 times a week though. But I don't scrub my hair and am gentle as can be. I've stopped using brushes and I air dry.

LongCurlyTress
July 5th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Yes I've tried clarifying. I cwc with moisturising conditioner and very little shampoo.

As to adding moisture, conditioners, leave ins, over that I put garnier oil to seal it in. Olive oil overnight 2-3 times a week.

I do wash 4 times a week though. But I don't scrub my hair and am gentle as can be. I've stopped using brushes and I air dry.

That orange Garnier Oil really dries out my hair and makes it into a rats nest. Try to not use it for awhile and see what happens. You might be protein sensitive. That is how I found out I am. Just use straight up EVOO and see what happens. GF products frizz my hair up worse than before I used them. This happens the next time after I wash my hair and I am detangling... there are alot more nesty areas! Stay away from GF!! ;)

Arctic
July 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Can you post the ingredients of the products you use?

laceyfairy
July 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Oh gosh my first thought was protein based on the thread title. I do like coconut oil but it can definitely cause crunchiness. Good luck!

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I'll set aside the garnier a bit see of that helps. I'll try and find time later to list ingredients.

Thanks

Arctic
July 5th, 2015, 08:05 AM
You'll probably can search copy and paste them from internet. Search with words like "your product inci" and you'll probably get some hits, unless your products are quite rare.

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Have you dyed your hair again recently? Might be that. :)

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Here's my list of ingredients for the conditioners I use
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/1E0CAEDA-558F-424E-9459-B0699F6B116E_zpsljqlxe5a.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1E0CAEDA-558F-424E-9459-B0699F6B116E_zpsljqlxe5a.jpg.html)
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/65149E1D-8A69-455C-A0C0-297DDCD91FFD_zpsszw9a6sc.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/65149E1D-8A69-455C-A0C0-297DDCD91FFD_zpsszw9a6sc.jpg.html)http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/9BC568EE-C6D8-4FA7-A12D-D79B573D9F80_zpslnj4shhw.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9BC568EE-C6D8-4FA7-A12D-D79B573D9F80_zpslnj4shhw.jpg.html)http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/85024D25-6A79-455C-AB26-83D2AD811A23_zpsjh1w7taq.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/85024D25-6A79-455C-AB26-83D2AD811A23_zpsjh1w7taq.jpg.html)
The first is label m moisturising, I always use the first before shampoo.
Second is loreal fibrology, third is dove dry oil and the last is pureology 4 platinum.

I probably use the pureology most, the dove is a new one I've only just started using.

I haven't listed shampoo as I just use any but in very small amounts.

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/91C859A1-B8A9-41BC-BB80-989CE7354A23_zpsylolqdl7.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/91C859A1-B8A9-41BC-BB80-989CE7354A23_zpsylolqdl7.jpg.html)

Label m moisturising leave in

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/DBFAEA8C-D32D-4C58-9575-E10185E41E43_zps4nd5gvht.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DBFAEA8C-D32D-4C58-9575-E10185E41E43_zps4nd5gvht.jpg.html)

Garnier ultimate blends marvellous glow oil.

Thankyou for your help :)

meteor
July 5th, 2015, 11:18 AM

Wow! I'm sorry you are going through this. :grouphug: My first thought after reading the OP, with all the clarifying, chelating and oiling you do was - why on earth would this snapping of hairs happen? :hmm:

But looking at the product situation, I honestly think you might be using way too much! That Garnier Marvelous Glow Oil is actually very heavy on volatile silicones (cyclopentasiloxane as first ingredient) - they dry my hair out after some time, for example, and I've seen some other people report the same. One of the products also has dimethicone (non-water-soluble cone) very high up the list of ingredients. I'd be watching how your hair reacts to that one... and, if your hair gets coated or dry feeling from it at all, maybe not use it too frequently?

Also, CWC after a long while can create create pretty serious buildup (e.g. I believe spidermom reported shifting away from it for that reason with great results) - this happens due to differences in charges (anionic vs. cationic). The first C in CWC may be blocking shampoo from working well, preventing you from getting an effective clarifying.

Olive oil pre-poo 2-3 times a week sounds pretty frequent. Maybe your hair does need it, but honestly, judging by the intense shine and the F hair type... I think it might be too much or too often? :flower:

I think less is more. :)

I hope your hair will feel a lot better soon! :D Best of luck! :flower:

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Have you dyed your hair again recently? Might be that. :)

Yes I still do my roots, but I have swapped to amonia free dye.

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Yes I still do my roots, but I have swapped to amonia free dye.

Hmm, couldn't possibly be that then.

I have to agree with meteor. This is a lot of product for F hair. I use a lot as well, but not that much! I'd try a regular WC - just shampoo then conditioner for a while; see what that does.

missrandie
July 5th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I notice that all your label M stuff has protein in it... have you tried cutting those? The third picture as well.. I think the stearamidopropyl dimethylamine might not help (appears to be a fatty protein thing? Not quite sure)

Sometimes, less is more.

I agree with the others: simplify! It may help.

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the great advice....hmmm I do use a lot of things don't I.

Back to basics it is then. I'll use shampoo and the dove conditioner and put nothing else on my hair. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully there'll be some improvement.

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Also that "fibrology" stuff might not be doing you any favors either. It's a new thing, new "technology" to "thicken" the hair strand. Might be that as well, so I'd cut that out of the routine as well. Oh, right you'll be WC. Great. Hope it works!

endlessly
July 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Wow, it definitely looks like you've tried a bit of everything without much success. Like the others have recommended, I'd suggest simplifying your routine for a while and see what happens. Sometimes, your hair can go through a rebellious stage due to product overload, so if you cut way back, you might notice an improvement. Also, I don't remember if you had mentioned it or not, but have you tried using vinegar at all? I like to dilute a bit in a spray bottle, then spritz it throughout my hair until it's thoroughly soaked, let it sit for a bit, then rinse it out and shampoo/condition as normal. It always does wonders to remove any product buildup and makes my hair feel incredibly soft. It might be an option if you're cutting back on products as it will help you give a 'clean slate' to your hair. Best of luck and hopefully you're able to find something that works. It's definitely a stressful situation when you've tried so many products and nothing is helping.

kdaniels8811
July 5th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Have you tried a SMT? (Snowy's Moisture Treatment). I cleaned all the crap from my hair by using a gentle shampoo with sea salt added to the shampoo (poured it into the palm of my hand and added the salt) then slathered the SMT on for an hour in a towel and my hair looks fantastic, better than it has been in a long time.

An SMT is 4 tablepoons conditioner, 1 tablespoon aloe and 1 tablespoon raw honey. Warm in microwave for 10 or 15 seconds to melt everything together and slather down length of hair. I wrapped my head in plastic wrap and added a towel to hold in the warmth. Rinse without shampooing. Good luck!

spidermom
July 5th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I agree - simplify. Also never have conditioner and shampoo on your hair at the same time, as mentioned already.

Good luck! When you're using so many different products, it's hard to decide what works and what doesn't.

LongCurlyTress
July 5th, 2015, 05:53 PM
http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/

This is from Teri LaFlesh's book, Tightly Curly. It is a terrific reference for hair product ingredients. ;)

missrandie
July 5th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Okay, off topic little funny "missrandie moment," I just reread "snappy hair" and had the thought "give it chocolate as a peace offering."

Funny aside over :o

diddiedaisy
July 8th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Ok I know I said I would update in a couple of weeks but I have already seem some improvement in my hair. For the past 3 maybe 4 days I have elimated most of my products from my routine. I have washed daily with shampoo and dove dry oil conditioner. I chose this conditioner as it's new and my problem has been going on for a good few months. I have used no other product... Hello candy floss hair lol. Three nights ago I did a very light coconut oiling, no crunchiness followed which has happened previously.

Anyway, as previously mentioned my hair has no elasticity and would snap immediately. I now have a bit of spring in my hair, not much but there is a slight resistance when I pull it. I'm so pleased I'm seeing quick results no matter how small.

I'm hoping that these results continue. In another couple of weeks I'm going to reintroduce my trusty old serum got 2 be, I never had any problems with this. If after another 2 weeks my hair has not started going backwards I will stick to this simple regime.

Obsidian
July 8th, 2015, 07:18 AM
My hair gets snappy from too much protein and it really doesn't take much protein at all to be too much. I love coconut oil but can't use it at all anymore, switched over to almond or avocado oil with much better results. I've also stopped using products with any protein in it, no coconut, no silk, no vegetable proteins like soy. It really helped with my dry crunchy ends, at least until I chopped it all into a pixie:)

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Ok I know I said I would update in a couple of weeks but I have already seem some improvement in my hair. For the past 3 maybe 4 days I have elimated most of my products from my routine. I have washed daily with shampoo and dove dry oil conditioner. I chose this conditioner as it's new and my problem has been going on for a good few months. I have used no other product... Hello candy floss hair lol. Three nights ago I did a very light coconut oiling, no crunchiness followed which has happened previously.

Anyway, as previously mentioned my hair has no elasticity and would snap immediately. I now have a bit of spring in my hair, not much but there is a slight resistance when I pull it. I'm so pleased I'm seeing quick results no matter how small.

I'm hoping that these results continue. In another couple of weeks I'm going to reintroduce my trusty old serum got 2 be, I never had any problems with this. If after another 2 weeks my hair has not started going backwards I will stick to this simple regime.

Yay! :joy: So awesome to hear about such fast results! :applause
Clarified and not overloaded hair should have that nice spring and elasticity that you are describing. :D I love how you've whittled things down and are very slowly reintroducing each product slowly. :thumbsup: This will help single out effects of each product and avoid unnecessary buildup! ;)

ravenreed
July 8th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Any protein at all causes me problems. I have to be very diligent to avoid it. My hair also reacts much the same to both coconut oil and olive oil as it does to protein. I don't oil much at all these days. I find it counterproductive to my routine.

lapushka
July 8th, 2015, 08:41 AM
It's good to hear that a simplified routine has solved your issues. I'd continue it on for several weeks before adding anything new as well, good one!

diddiedaisy
July 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone. Looking back I think it started drying up around the time I started using label m. The only thing I'm going to re introduce is my old serum in a few weeks. Candy floss hair is not a good look!!!