PDA

View Full Version : Curlies: DIY "clumping"/definition spray?

CostaRita
July 4th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Hi all. These days, my length's pretty much where I want it. Now, I'd like to tackle definition/frizz. My hair tends to be on the frizzier side with a lack of curl definition. I was thinking that either a DIY spray might help. I use a curl cream, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Just demineralized water in a spray bottle will do. You can add a squirt of conditioner, some oils, EOs, glycerine, whatever you want.

Wusel
July 5th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Hi all. These days, my length's pretty much where I want it. Now, I'd like to tackle definition/frizz. My hair tends to be on the frizzier side with a lack of curl definition. I was thinking that either a DIY spray might help. I use a curl cream, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

So, you didn't cut it? ;)
GREAT!

Wusel
July 5th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Just demineralized water in a spray bottle will do. You can add a squirt of conditioner, some oils, EOs, glycerine, whatever you want.

Demineralized water? Which effect does it have on hair?
Coincidentally I have some here :D
For my son's sea monkey breeding :D

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 07:19 AM
No idea, but it's better than tap water, makes the hair softer. For a mist like this, it's worth it.

Wusel
July 5th, 2015, 07:23 AM
No idea, but it's better than tap water, makes the hair softer. For a mist like this, it's worth it.

It was SO expensive, 2 Euros per liter, and we have some left. So you think it's good to put it in a spray bottle and moisturize the hair during the day with it when it's so hot outside?

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I don't mist my hair when it's hot - at all. It gets wet from sweat plenty on its own and that's about all I can take. Also what kind of washer/dryer do you have. Our dryer produces water (condense dryer) and that is distilled water, so we get it like that. Usually distilled water is in the ironing or so section of a grocery store. It's like 1 euro for 5L here - if you buy it.

meteor
July 5th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Demineralized water? Which effect does it have on hair?
Coincidentally I have some here :D
For my son's sea monkey breeding :D

It doesn't have minerals in it that can build up on hair, so it's a bit better than tap water. Also, using demineralized water helps homemade concoctions last a little bit longer in the fridge before going bad (without preservatives).
Water on its own is not a great moisturizer though: it just evaporates quickly. A great moisturizer helps hold onto water (humectants) effectively and helps prevent fast evaporation (sealing with occlusives), so mixing in a tiny bit of glycerin/honey/aloe/etc and oils is a pretty good idea.
Generally, for frizz fighting properties, I'd focus on occlusives, like cones and oils.

CostaRita
July 5th, 2015, 04:20 PM
^Would coconut oil work for a spray? How would it mix with water?

meteor
July 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM
^Would coconut oil work for a spray? How would it mix with water?

It wouldn't mix, you'd need to shake it a lot before every application, and it can clog spray bottles. Personally, I'd do it in 2 phases: water-based spray (with humectants) first and then a drop or 2 of lightweight oil of your choice on top of that.

CurlyCap
July 5th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I'd go with super dilute flax seed gel (like 1/4 cup boiled in 2 cups water). After making the gel, dilute it until it sprays easily and store the spray bottle in the fridge.