PDA

View Full Version : Protective 'dos for sleeping...

WannabeViking
July 3rd, 2015, 10:01 PM
So I just got my ends trimmed, and my goal is to do better about protecting my ends while I sleep (I tend to toss and turn a lot.) Braids are manageable for now, but I suppose as it gets longer, that could become annoying (laying on it, etc.) What do you gals n guys like to do with your hair at night? I've heard about silk caps and stuff, but I'm not sure I could keep one on all night. :D

Robot Ninja
July 3rd, 2015, 10:39 PM
A satin pillowcase will help protect your hair, especially if you move around a lot. Silk satin is ideal, but pricey; polyester satin will do if it doesn't make your head sweaty.

I sleep with my hair in a bun, secured with one of these. (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/58842325/quattro-hair-accessories-starlites?ref=shop_home_active_1)

Aderyn
July 3rd, 2015, 11:00 PM
I also sleep with my hair secured in a bun, typically a nautilus or LWB, that is secured with a medium Ficcare. I try to secure it horizontally since I sleep on my side, but the medium ficcare doesn't poke out so it's not much of an issue. The ficcare holds like a rock even with my wild tossing and turning. A good portion of the time, the bun still looks nice in the morning, too. :)

I don't use a satin/silk pillowcase anymore, though they certainly do help with frizziness.

Loktra
July 3rd, 2015, 11:05 PM
I sleep in a silk sleep cap. It doesn't always stay on my head all the way (I can't stand to have it tight), but the majority of my hair usually stays in it, if that makes sense. I have had better luck keeping a satin snood on my head, since the one I have has no elastic so I don't notice it as much, even when it's tight enough.

But you asked about styles! Since I end up in all sorts of positions when I sleep, the best place for me to put a bun is right on top of my head. This has the nice bonus of adding root/crown volume to waves the next day if it's damp bunned. If I do this, I use large u-shaped pins or make a sock bun. When I did this more often, I took to protecting my nape hairs more by tying a silk scarf up in front of my bun, wrapped around the base of my head.

Yarrow
July 3rd, 2015, 11:06 PM
I like to sleep with heidi/milkmaid braids or a top knot. Sometimes with a braid.

gthlvrmx
July 3rd, 2015, 11:20 PM
You can make a bun on top of your head secured with spin pins. The bun should rest on the pillow when you put your head down so it won't tug too much. Also, silk pillowcases will help a lot.

WannabeViking
July 3rd, 2015, 11:45 PM
You can make a bun on top of your head secured with spin pins. The bun should rest on the pillow when you put your head down so it won't tug too much. Also, silk pillowcases will help a lot.

Well I actually have spin pins on hand...maybe I'll give it a try. Aderyn, as a guy, I'm a bit challenged on what hair toys are so it's time for a stupid question: what's a ficcare, and what is special about it? Thanks for the replies, everyone! :)

Aderyn
July 4th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Spins pins should work well, too! I don't have any spin pins, sadly.. I must get some and try them out for sleeping now!

A ficcare is an avian hair clip, and a rather high quality (and expensive) one. I use a medium plain black maxima, which can be found here (http://www.ficcare.com/#!maximas-clips/cfdr).

WannabeViking
July 4th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Spins pins should work well, too! I don't have any spin pins, sadly.. I must get some and try them out for sleeping now!

A ficcare is an avian hair clip, and a rather high quality (and expensive) one. I use a medium plain black maxima, which can be found here (http://www.ficcare.com/#!maximas-clips/cfdr).

Ah, I see. Those indeed look like they are spendy. Wouldn't mind having a plain black one though!

WannabeViking
July 4th, 2015, 02:01 AM
I'm trying the high bun with spin pins, as suggested by gthlvrmx. We'll see how this goes!

restless
July 4th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Knowing myself right, I probably couldnt stand a sleep cap and Ive never got around to buy a satin/silk pillowcase despite all the years Ive spent in this forum. Instead I go for a simple bun on top of my head (often an upside down braided one) and secure it with a bent knitting needle. Its sturdy and stays all night.

lapushka
July 4th, 2015, 03:50 AM
I just fold it up underneath my head (sleep with it loose).

meteor
July 4th, 2015, 06:46 PM
If I could sleep with my hair in a bun, I would. The problem is that my pillow is too flat to support the bun much to prevent the pulling on scalp.

So I just coil my braid above my pillow. I can roll around a lot, but the coiled braid stays relatively intact.

I don't even bother tying off the braid anymore, but a silky ribbon weaved into a braid or a tie made of pantyhose can't hurt.

For people who sleep on their back, 2 pigtail braids are probably better.

I really recommend sleeping on smooth materials or wrapping the braid/bun/loose hair with a silky scarf or using a silky bonnet. This helps prevent frizz and unnecessary tangling.

tlover
July 4th, 2015, 06:58 PM
My braid is about classic and I still have a nightbraid, I just "toss" it over the pillow (Braiding it upside down makes it stay there easier) and I use my satin pillowcase if I can too

WannabeViking
July 4th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I just fold it up underneath my head (sleep with it loose).

You must sleep very still! Because if I try that, it's a horrid tangled mess in the morning. :eek:

vpatt
July 4th, 2015, 08:17 PM
My hair is just past CBL and I don't know if it really needs protection......but it has become a bit annoying by tickling my face at night. I have braided it which helps and I have put it in a bun with spin pins. I did get a satin pillowcase from Sally's, but it does not seem much different than my cotton pillowcase.

QMacrocarpa
July 7th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Ah, I see. Those indeed look like they are spendy. Wouldn't mind having a plain black one though!
You can sometimes find Ficcare-like but cheaper clips, locally nicknamed "Fakkares". I got a plain brown one (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=VP10435) at Ulta a while back for around $7.

B-ecca
July 7th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I like to braid my hair to sleep.

Madora
July 7th, 2015, 04:23 PM
For decades I just dual braided my hair at night. Thanks to LHC, I tried a braided bun on top of my head (inverted method) and have never looked back. I secure it with 12 hairpins and detangling it in the morning takes all of 2 minutes. Heartily recommended!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/32414Singlebraidbuntop.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/32414Singlebraidbuntop.jpg.html)